WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Terrible incident at Central Texas lake claims four year old girl

rrrr

Reaction score

On Friday evening a four year old girl was killed while swimming in Belton Lake near Killeen when a 50 foot Gibson houseboat backed over her. The girl's father was also in the water, and both of his legs were amputated by the boat's propeller as he tried to save her.

Although the incident occurred over 48 hours ago, news reports are still vague as to what happened. Some accounts say the father was in the water, other stories state he jumped in to rescue the girl.

The driver of the houseboat was arrested and charged with a third degree felony, and police have not released any information other than his name.

I have searched multiple news websites looking for further information, but nothing more than what I have posted is known at this time.

A 4-year-old died Friday after she was run over by a houseboat on Belton Lake.

Katlyn Oliver was playing in the lake near Temple Lake Park about 6:30 p.m. when the boat backed up and ran over her, according to KXXV-TV. She was trapped in the boat's propeller.

Temple police said her father jumped in to save her, but he also got caught in the propeller, which amputated both of his legs

Katlyn and her father were taken to a nearby hospital, where the 4-year-old was pronounced dead at 7:45 p.m. Her father remains in serious condition

The man piloting the houseboat, whom police identified as 44-year-old Jason Bernal of Killeen, was arrested and is being held in the Bell County Jail.

According to the jail, specific charges are pending for Bernal, but he is being held on a third-degree felony warrant.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...run-houseboat-father-hospitalized-trying-save

UPDATE: Bernal has been charged with homicide:

Suspect charged with homicide for death of 4-year-old struck by - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |
☰

Suspect charged with homicide for death of 4-year-old struck by houseboat
2017-06-24T02:15:41Z
2017-06-25T21:38:02Z
By Mayra Monroy, Digital Content ProducerCONNECT
And Brooke Bednarz, ReporterCONNECT
KAITLYN OLIVER

(Source: Lindy Earnshaw Morales)

4-year-old dies after being run over by houseboat in Temple
TEMPLE, TX (KXXV) -

43-year-old Jason Bernal from Killeen who was arrested on the night a 4-year-old died after being struck by a houseboat has been charged with criminally negligent homicide.

Bernal's bond is set at $150,000.

4-year-old Katlyn Oliver died from her injuries on June 23 at 7:45 at Scott and White Hospital according to Temple PD.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Wow this is hard to read, I just couldn't imagine. Our little girl is 5 and loves to be in the water 100% of the time we are right there with her.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Damn that's awful.....RIP little Kailyn.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
It's hard to even contemplate the situation. A friend's son was killed while being pulled on a tube, on a lake near Denver. The "boater" perp, went between the friend's boat and the tube, and the prop wrapped up the line until----

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
It's hard to even contemplate the situation. A friend's son was killed while being pulled on a tube, on a lake near Denver. The "boater" perp, went between the friend's boat and the tube, and the prop wrapped up the line until----

I think that is quite possibly one of the saddest things I have read in this site.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
This is one of my employee's cousins that he knows well. He came in this morning devastated. :thumbsdown

RIP Katlyn and prayers to Patrick.

lenmann

Reaction score
Very sad start to a Monday morning. My thoughts are with all of those involved.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Was the driver of the houseboat one of the group/friends or was he just in the area? If he was a friend or family that would make it even more devastating.:(

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Was the driver of the houseboat one of the group/friends or was he just in the area? If he was a friend or family that would make it even more devastating.:(

Was not a friend from what I'm being told.

rrrr

Reaction score

News stories are now saying the houseboat operator pulled into shore in an area where people were swimming. Witnesses said he was asked to leave, and he reversed the houseboat at "full throttle" without first checking behind him.

JD D05

Reaction score
News stories are now saying the houseboat operator pulled into shore in an area where people were swimming. Witnesses said he was asked to leave, and he reversed the houseboat at "full throttle" without first checking behind him.

Wow. That must have been a horrible scene

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Wow. That must have been a horrible scene
Thought the same. No wonder they hit him with homicide so quick. Anger combined with frustration leads to leathal results much too often. This is going to have major mental victims.[emoji22]
Condolences to all involved.[emoji120]

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
The dad Patrick lost his battle this morning, suffered a heart attack. :thumbsdown

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I couldn't even imagine...how horrible.

rrrr

Reaction score
The dad Patrick lost his battle this morning, suffered a heart attack. :thumbsdown

What a horrible, horrible thing this is. Tragedy doesn't describe it.

poncho

Reaction score
This is one of the worst things I have read in a while, I used this story this weekend when we had a big party going on our lake.

By far the largest group of people and boats we have had in over 15 years since the weeds started taking over, the state is now treating it and its blowing up with activity.

Friend of mine jumped in his toon with 10 people on board and started his motor, there were kids going off the slide on the dock and landing near his boat. He wasn't going anywhere, just warming it up but we agreed to not even start a boat until all of the kids were accounted for.

Told him this story later and I could tell it hit him like it did me he had 3 children and 5 grandchildren there.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
One of the toughest tragedies I've ever heard about.....So very sad a precious little life was taken due to extremely poor judgement. With people in the water that close, the boat should never have moved without guidance from someone below. This whole deal should have never happened.

I would like to see information on the boat and if there is a secondary helm giving better vantage points.

http://www.tdtnews.com/news/article_29d3dc44-6282-11e7-a2d5-9707ec5e003d.html

Bernal reportedly ran over Kaitlyn at about 6:47 p.m. June 23 while backing up his three-story houseboat in the shallow water off Sandy Point at Temple Lake Park.

An arrest affidavit said that Bernal told investigators that he yelled ?clear? before putting the boat in reverse and heard no responses. Others at the park yelled for Bernal to stop. A video in police custody reportedly showed the boat in the water with people behind it in waist-deep water.

Bernal admitted to Temple Police Department investigators that he couldn?t see behind him and didn?t hear people yelling for him to stop, an arrest affidavit said.

A witness to the tragedy told a police officer that she previously told Bernal to stop parking his boat in the area because children swam there.

Bernal was released from the Bell County Jail the Sunday after Kaitlyn?s death after posting $150,000 bond.

rrrr

Reaction score
I used to hang out with a guy that had the same houseboat, a 50' Gibson. His boat had an auxiliary helm on the upper deck, but there was no way to see directly behind the boat from the helm. A spotter was a must.

I'm assuming the guy had an aux helm on his boat because he said he yelled "clear". Pretty stupid to assume someone in the water would hear him and know what it meant.

69 1/2

Reaction score
I've been around lots of Gibson houseboats and every one of them had open exhaust above the water line. When he lit that thing up people should have scattered. He was possibly in a hurry and dropped it in reverse immediately after starting it. Tradgety could have been avoided by simply slowing down and taking a minute to clear the path.