WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Oil in intake

WaterMike

Reaction score
Pulled the carb off and having it gone through by Chucks. I looked in the intake and the lower plane(I think thats what it is) has oil accumulated on it. Not a lot, but enough to make me scratch my head as to why it is there. Previous owner had little filters on the valve cover vents and I hooked it up like stock to the air filter can (its what it had and I didnt want to spend $250 on a stock flame arrestor). Is this just accumulation from the valve cover vents? 20170627_132651.jpg 20170627_132651.jpg

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Might want to do a leakdown test on the engine. If the rings are leaking, crankcase pressure could carry some oil into the flame arrestor, which of course dumps it in the carb.

WaterMike

Reaction score
Might want to do a leakdown test on the engine. If the rings are leaking, crankcase pressure could carry some oil into the flame arrestor, which of course dumps it in the carb.

I had a leak down and compression test done on it when I bought it. Ill post the results when I get home. Motor has close to 800hrs on Mercruiser 454.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I had a leak down and compression test done on it when I bought it. Ill post the results when I get home. Motor has close to 800hrs on Mercruiser 454.

That's a lot of hours on a boat engine, it would not surprise me if there was some excess crankcase pressure.

WaterMike

Reaction score
20170629_053546.jpg

This was done at about 770hrs when I bought the boat

Runs2rch

Reaction score
5 slugs at 20 percent or higher.

What oil are you running weight Wise?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
OK,, so you are saying you have another 30 hours on it since purchase, and you can bet the leak numbers are not getting better or fixing themselves. A good leakdown will also tell you if it's leaking past the valves or rings, but as I stated above leaking past rings will put excess pressure in crankcase and push oil around, through breathers and even past gaskets and seals.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to see oil in the intake since they have two wide open breather hoses going directly to the flame arrestor.

WaterMike

Reaction score
OK,, so you are saying you have another 30 hours on it since purchase, and you can bet the leak numbers are not getting better or fixing themselves. A good leakdown will also tell you if it's leaking past the valves or rings, but as I stated above leaking past rings will put excess pressure in crankcase and push oil around, through breathers and even past gaskets and seals.

It's not uncommon to see oil in the intake since they have two wide open breather hoses going directly to the flame arrestor.

I appreciate the feed back guys. Well, it doesn't seem like it is really a concern other than the motor is getting tired. I was planning on getting 2 maybe 3 seasons out of it before considering a rebuild or repower. It is by no means a power boat, just a fun cruiser. I have read that people have gotten 1500 hours out of their stock 454s, so I figure 1000 hours out of mine would not be a huge chore. If she lets go it will either be a 502 Mag or stroked 488 (what ever .030 over is), which ever is more cost effective.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
seems like it would be cost effective to not grenade your current motor and just freshen it up come winter?

WaterMike

Reaction score
seems like it would be cost effective to not grenade your current motor and just freshen it up come winter?

That is always an option, but what fun is that? I can come up with the money at any time, if I am going to go through the hassle and labor to refresh the motor I would like to buy the right parts and be around 450-500HP. Stock this boat will only do 40mph, she is heavy. Do it right, do it once. The boat is the perfect size for me right now anyways.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
What kind (brand) boat is it ?