WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best Tritoon for the money?

warlock250

Reaction score
This exactly what happened with my Forest River RV. No dealer will touch it. Manufacture has a third party repair facility. Complete freakin joke.

You can take a Chevy to any Chevy dealer. But you can not take A Forest River to any Forest River dealer, even though the website says that you can. I called them out on it and they clammed up.
Dealers take care of there own customers first and foremost, the reason being is that getting paid for warranty work is a slow and usually painful process and the manufacturer never pays for your true cost of the repairs and takes months before the dealership is paid back if at all. So what I have seen a lot of people do is shop all over the US for the cheapest trailer deal they can find and have it shipped in after they went to there local dealer and used them and there invented to make sure they liked the unit before shopping all around the country. Then they get the trailer and want the local dealer to fix it under warranty for them. Lmao.
I don't blame the local dealers for not wanting to work on them.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Dealers take care of there own customers first and foremost, the reason being is that getting paid for warranty work is a slow and usually painful process and the manufacturer never pays for your true cost of the repairs and takes months before the dealership is paid back if at all. So what I have seen a lot of people do is shop all over the US for the cheapest trailer deal they can find and have it shipped in after they went to there local dealer and used them and there invented to make sure they liked the unit before shopping all around the country. Then they get the trailer and want the local dealer to fix it under warranty for them. Lmao.

Exactly the way I'd do business if I was in business. Loyalty matters. I've bought from the same single guy at ford for 20 years. It matters even at big money businesses.
Smaller ones it means more

warlock250

Reaction score
Exactly the way I'd do business if I was in business. Loyalty matters. I've bought from the same single guy at ford for 20 years. It matters even at big money businesses.
What happens alot now days is people go into a place like best buy and check out and touch feel sniff finger bang a product and then rush home and order it online to save $10 and that right there is going to kill the bricks and mortar stores since they have that wonderful thing called overhead and employees to service the. And there questions.
Same shit they do to my buddy who does high end IP buisness phone systems they use him for quotes and questions and then buy off the internet and when it has problems he tells them to call the internet place they bought it from. Lol. That never works out good.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Also a great way for that dealer to lose any future business. If a dealer is not getting paid back for warranty work I fail to see how the location of the dealer is important at all. Said dealer should stop selling that brand of RV if there is a problem with reimbursement.

warlock250

Reaction score
Also a great way for that dealer to lose any future business. If a dealer is not getting paid back for warranty work I fail to see how the location of the dealer is important at all. Said dealer should stop selling that brand of RV if there is a problem with reimbursement.
It's just how it is and the dealer eats enough losses on the warranty work that losing some warranty money and Time on some cheap ass person who bought from across the country and wants his local dealer to service him. Just because he has a brand you sell but bought from somewhere else doesn't mean that person will be a customer that you really even want anyhow.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He's gonna need it if he wants it in the 70s. My last twin 400 Berkshire 27' ran 77 mph with 4 adults on board.
This new one should see 77 to 78 maybe a little more with propping.
57a786d806d12326e92adb610d8cc008.jpg

Bad ass!

riverroyal

Reaction score
absolutely no reason to go 70 in a pontoon. They DONT handle. They all claim to handle better than the rest. But no matter what its 3 logs under a big wood garage door.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
absolutely no reason to go 70 in a pontoon. They DONT handle. They all claim to handle better than the rest. But no matter what its 3 logs under a big wood garage door.

To each his own, but I certainly agree with your statement. No way I would be going that fast with my family on board in a toon.

MrMayhem

Reaction score

Lol. But oh so true.

riverroyal

Reaction score
im not saying I don't want one with twin 400s! But anything over 45mph is hauling ass on a toon. Plus they are a bit expensive:D

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
To each his own, but I certainly agree with your statement. No way I would be going that fast with my family on board in a toon.

Agreed, there are fast boats and there are slow boats, combining the two seems sacrilegious. The one with the NXT drive is cool, but to me is a fine example of "fuck you money", I cant remember the movie thats from.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Saw that boat yesterday. It sounds gooooood!

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Agreed, there are fast boats and there are slow boats, combining the two seems sacrilegious. The one with the NXT drive is cool, but to me is a fine example of "fuck you money", I cant remember the movie thats from.

Found it...........so true....

[video=youtube_https;xdfeXqHFmPI]https://youtu.be/xdfeXqHFmPI[/video]

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score

I saw it when it was for sale at that place near West Marine and thought it was totally cool and over the top just not my style. Past a certain speed in a toon and sticking one of those cans in a roller is going to lead to a bad ending for sure though. I just watched a video of one with 3 Merc 300's on it running 107 and I am thinking no way would I ever want that boat even if I had throw away money to burn but it would look bad ass floating around the zoo.

sirbob

Reaction score

I totally agree with the "loyalty matters". I'm a salesman that works on commission. Getting credit for the sale is extremely important to me.

But there are a lot of reasons that somebody takes something they bought a different dealer. I don't think that everybody going to another dealer is doing so after buying something 1000 miles away to save a few bucks. It think that is far and away the minority of people going to a different dealer than they bough from.

I just think doing business like that is bad business - bad for you and the brand you represent.

What happens alot now days is people go into a place like best buy and check out and touch feel sniff finger bang a product and then rush home and order it online to save $10 and that right there is going to kill the bricks and mortar stores since they have that wonderful thing called overhead and employees to service the. And there questions.
Same shit they do to my buddy who does high end IP buisness phone systems they use him for quotes and questions and then buy off the internet and when it has problems he tells them to call the internet place they bought it from. Lol. That never works out good.

The way I deal with tire kickers is simple - make them have some skin in the game. I have a line that we use all the time "NO FREE CONSULTING". You want my opinion, pay me to come to you and give it. You want to know what my proposal will look like? Pay me to visit you so I can write it accurately.

I'm not saying I haven't had some conversations with potential clients - but before I do any real work or show you what I would do for you so you can just do it, I make sure you have your checkbook out and are writing a check.

BTW - having got my start selling high end business phones systems - I can tell you I never spent time writing a quote that I did not feel VERY strongly about already getting the business. If I did not think the proposal was just a formality, the quote would be for list price.

I realize that not every business can be run this way - but its how I run mine.

And because of that I am very loyal to my customers and they are loyal to me.

Sorry to get a little off track - back to to TOON TALK!

warlock250

Reaction score
I saw it when it was for sale at that place near West Marine and thought it was totally cool and over the top just not my style. Past a certain speed in a toon and sticking one of those cans in a roller is going to lead to a bad ending for sure though. I just watched a video of one with 3 Merc 300's on it running 107 and I am thinking no way would I ever want that boat even if I had throw away money to burn but it would look bad ass floating around the zoo.
Well then boys you haven't ridden in one like these new Berkshire Tritoons and they are not just attaching everything to a bunch of plywood lol. There's a lot of aluminum structure that ties it all together and it has to be Coast guard approved engineering. And lawyer approved also. I tried to get this one built with 3 400s and they didn't want to even explore that idea. Obviously none of you have any real experience with them and merely forming your opinions on your grandpa's old Toon lol.
That Southbay that has 3 300s runs out at 114 mph and it hasn't come apart or crashed like you all say they will and he has been running the shit out of it for years. Nobody says you have to run maximum speed with a load of people on board and just like any boat some common sense driving is needed.
And yes I guess it does boil down to F u money but it's fun nonetheless and when you pass by sport boats flipping Hamburgers at 75 mph they are humbled. Hehehe.

ssc

Reaction score
The performance of tri toons is impressive. Mine will do 50mph on a gps speedo with both bimini's up and 4 people. It only has a 300 verado and I am considering selling it and installing the 400 verado. The playcraft that folks here are speaking of is owned by a friend of mine. It hit 73mph, but still needs to be dialed in. There are some issues with the prop. He reports that it is very smooth and stable at speed. I hope to ride and drive it in a few weeks. It is not FU money as he got a very good deal and the FU money is in the eye of the holder. He has been looking for a toon to replace his older toon for some time. Considering what the original purchaser paid a year prior, he paid substantially less. It is a great looking boat and playcrafts are known for their performance, which includes, as stated above, passing appropriate safety standards.

Cheers, SSC

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Well then boys you haven't ridden in one like these new Berkshire Tritoons and they are not just attaching everything to a bunch of plywood lol. There's a lot of aluminum structure that ties it all together and it has to be Coast guard approved engineering. And lawyer approved also. I tried to get this one built with 3 400s and they didn't want to even explore that idea. Obviously none of you have any real experience with them and merely forming your opinions on your grandpa's old Toon lol.
That Southbay that has 3 300s runs out at 114 mph and it hasn't come apart or crashed like you all say they will and he has been running the shit out of it for years. Nobody says you have to run maximum speed with a load of people on board and just like any boat some common sense driving is needed.
And yes I guess it does boil down to F u money but it's fun nonetheless and when you pass by sport boats flipping Hamburgers at 75 mph they are humbled. Hehehe.

As I stated before "To Each His Own". I have been boating for 35 years everything from 18' jet boats to Eliminator Daytonas and 100mph Laveycraft V bottoms and deckboat. I am relatively new to the pontoon lifestyle and certainly enjoy mine. I can tell you my opinion and I don't care how well you say that aluminum structure ties together, that I would not want to be rolling around one with triple motors at 114mph. Again, just my personal opinion. The coolness factor is huge though as you state wherein you are flipping burgers going by a sport boat at 75mph:thumbsup. I think it is bad ass to look at and admire but nothing I would put my money into even if I had that kind of cash to spend. I plan on living for a bunch more years and don't want to go out on an RDP thread after a big crash on the water. I do think yours with the twins is really cool also just not for me.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score

Recreational boat manufacturers "certify" their own products to; "meet or exceed USCG specs", and that is all .

In today's US market, these powerboats must also follow EPA emissions guidelines, and any good business owner would consult professional legal input as to their liability exposures .

The USCG does not "approve or disapprove of recreational powerboat designs, or products", they have RULES and the builder is required to place a "placard" on the vessel (in plain sight) of the builders intent to follow those rules .

ONLY when the USCG has 'just cause' will they step in and require the builder to; issue a recall notice, stop production, or come in for a 'hearing' .

There is a well known pontoon builder who offers a "lifetime hull warranty" to the first owners of it's products . Just in Havasu alone I know of dozens of those boats that have had "major warranty repairs", and continue to have problems .

Most of these 'problem boats' have 300 HP > small block outdrives in them, so it does not appear to be a case of "over powering", but just a case of a design problem .

None of these boats were ever "recalled" by the USCG, the warranty work was done on customer complaints only .

Going 100 MPH in any pleasure boat has it's risks, no matter what it's made of, or who built it ............

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

You have been in a ten foot wide toon at those speeds? I have been in one at 60 and thought it was fine?

warlock250

Reaction score
As I stated before "To Each His Own". I have been boating for 35 years everything from 18' jet boats to Eliminator Daytonas and 100mph Laveycraft V bottoms and deckboat. I am relatively new to the pontoon lifestyle and certainly enjoy mine. I can tell you my opinion and I don't care how well you say that aluminum structure ties together, that I would not want to be rolling around one with triple motors at 114mph. Again, just my personal opinion. The coolness factor is huge though as you state wherein you are flipping burgers going by a sport boat at 75mph:thumbsup. I think it is bad ass to look at and admire but nothing I would put my money into even if I had that kind of cash to spend. I plan on living for a bunch more years and don't want to go out on an RDP thread after a big crash on the water. I do think yours with the twins is really cool also just not for me.
I guess Fear is in the eye of the beholder.
There's nothing more dangerous about a Tritoon going 75mph than there is a Blown Flatty lol. I've been boating since I was a baby and have been operating them since the day I was old enough to see through the windshield and the old man had me putting it on the trailer in scary ass windstorms in a monsoon.
My Tritoon is 27' and Solid as a rock. I have owned a variety of boats my self 28' Eliminator Daytona with Twins, warlock cat also big power. 28 V bottom Scarab, searay cruisers. Fountain V. Many Tritoons. And I happen to be in the Marine buisness so I have had many more at my disposal.
I'm sorry you have a fear of them that's to bad really.
So like you said to each there own.
The market place has really shifted to a lot of customers coming out of cramped up Sport boats that want the comfort of the Pontoon boat for all of the extended family and friends and grandchildren but they still have the need for Speed and power on the water. Look around and see how many Tritoons are hitting the water with big power.
A 23' Berkshire with a 150 Hp motor will do 38 mph with 4 to 5 adults on it.
My 23'SL Berkshire with a Mercury 350 Verado hits 58 mph with 4 adults and it accelerates to 50 very fast.
The Twin 400 will throw you out of the boat it Holeshots like a drag car. Very impressive.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
]I guess Fear is in the eye of the beholder. [/B]
There's nothing more dangerous about a Tritoon going 75mph than there is a Blown Flatty lol. I've been boating since I was a baby and have been operating them since the day I was old enough to see through the windshield and the old man had me putting it on the trailer in scary ass windstorms in a monsoon.
My Tritoon is 27' and Solid as a rock. I have owned a variety of boats my self 28' Eliminator Daytona with Twins, warlock cat also big power. 28 V bottom Scarab, searay cruisers. Fountain V. Many Tritoons. And I happen to be in the Marine buisness so I have had many more at my disposal.
I'm sorry you have a fear of them that's to bad really.
So like you said to each there own.
The market place has really shifted to a lot of customers coming out of cramped up Sport boats that want the comfort of the Pontoon boat for all of the extended family and friends and grandchildren but they still have the need for Speed and power on the water. Look around and see how many Tritoons are hitting the water with big power.
A 23' Berkshire with a 150 Hp motor will do 38 mph with 4 to 5 adults on it.
My 23'SL Berkshire with a Mercury 350 Verado hits 58 mph with 4 adults and it accelerates to 50 very fast.
The Twin 400 will throw you out of the boat it Holeshots like a drag car. Very impressive.

I prefer to view it as "common sense is in the eye of the beholder". I am all for innovation and technology and certainly agree that today's toons are nothing like the older ones of yesterday which is why I purchased mine. I just feel that the inherent design of a pontoon does not lend itself to big horsepower multi engine applications in a manner that I would feel comfortable pushing the aquatic limits with. Sure I would try it out just for the experience once if someone had one that I knew to take a ride on but nothing I would want for my family boat. Mine hits 48 fully loaded and I typically just cruise at 30-35 smooth and quiet as can be. Whatever floats your boat and makes you happy, go for it and I will still admire and compliment a bad ass boat anytime I see one on or off the water. Good luck with your marine business also.

Tooned Up

Reaction score
I struggled with the switch to Toon or not to Toon for years. I moved over from a Conquest Top Cat to a South Bay 928slt with an I/O and I absolutely love it. There was a big vanity issue to deal with, but honestly I feel we enjoy this boat more. With my Conquest I was anal to a fault and looking back on it I wish I made the switch sooner as I now spend more time enjoying my family and scenery more and no longer worry about a water spot that I am the only person that sees. No the toon isnt setting any speed records, but I can run along about 30 mpg and the big end sees a whopping 43. We went with the rear loungers and couldn't be happier. It handles the Havasu chop with ease and I could do it running wide open without a finger on the steering wheel if I chose to do so. It came with hydraulic steering and is very user friendly. We are very happy with our decision and truly have no regrets.

DLC

Reaction score
I struggled with the switch to Toon or not to Toon for years. I moved over from a Conquest Top Cat to a South Bay 928slt with an I/O and I absolutely love it. There was a big vanity issue to deal with, but honestly I feel we enjoy this boat more. With my Conquest I was anal to a fault and looking back on it I wish I made the switch sooner as I now spend more time enjoying my family and scenery more and no longer worry about a water spot that I am the only person that sees. No the toon isnt setting any speed records, but I can run along about 30 mpg and the big end sees a whopping 43. We went with the rear loungers and couldn't be happier. It handles the Havasu chop with ease and I could do it running wide open without a finger on the steering wheel if I chose to do so. It came with hydraulic steering and is very user friendly. We are very happy with our decision and truly have no regrets.

That is great to hear! I haven't gotten mine yet, but we are really excited to get it! Long time waiting! I really hope we have the same experience as you have had. For what we ordered and the price we are paying I hope we can keep our toon for a long time.

Thank you for sharing

DLC

riverroyal

Reaction score
You have been in a ten foot wide toon at those speeds? I have been in one at 60 and thought it was fine?

No I haven't. I wasn't thinking about it being 10ft. I was imagining a standard toon going that fast
I'd love to ride in one. Doesn't scare me. It scares me when other people are doing it!
I need to hit up Vaughn, I think he has one coming in.
The acceleration with 400s must be great

warlock250

Reaction score
My kids really love the Toon we had with the slide. They would also be jumping off the top hard deck or do the slide and just have a good time all day with the family on the Toon. The slide boat Berkshire had a 300 Verado and with the whole family and dogs would run 48 mph and cruise easily at 35 so making runs up river to Pirates doesn't take all day to do it. We left Pirates at 7:20and were back at the islander by 8:15 or so.

BWT

Reaction score
I don't know how to post pics or links but has anyone ever looked at the Caravelle Razor fiberglass pontoons?

warlock250

Reaction score
How do you like the floor vs carpet? does it get gritty? What model did you get? sorry for all the questions I appreciate all the info.
The problem with carpet among other things is it retains sand and dirt which makes the boat heavier over time. Carpet has a dirt holding spec which is crazy cause carpet can hold a bunch of dirt.

warlock250

Reaction score
The last time I messed with jack plates was on my 28 Skater, and the speed gain was impressive (from 109 to 122). I am sure the gain on a pontoon would be much less, but I still think it would be cool to try it.
I put jack plates on a lot of my Berkshire Tritoons and it definitely helps pick up to 3 to 4 mph.

warlock250

Reaction score
If we buy another pontoon it will have dual OB's. I might just buy another Skater though, and go back to having two boats. MSRP on a loaded Bennington with twin Verado's is north of 160K. I don't know if I could drop that much cash on a boat that will just break 70. Lol...
I have a Twin Engine Berkshire coming in on Wednesday with 2 400R Verados. Mercury Racing said it was the fastest Twin they have tested yet at 77 mph.
2b36900bfeb3d4f7a52fbfc96c3372b7.jpg

warlock250

Reaction score
How does that affect the warranty?
Berkshire has been doing it for me for years now and they were excited about it when we showed them how well it works for a simple performance upgrade. Does not affect warranty at all.. [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Patyacht

Reaction score
Berkshire has been doing it for me for years now and they were excited about it when we showed them how well it works for a simple performance upgrade. Does not affect warranty at all.. [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3]

Awesome. The way it should be. Thanks Todd.

fasttoons

Reaction score
I put jack plates on a lot of my Berkshire Tritoons and it definitely helps pick up to 3 to 4 mph.
The last several pontoons I've had I've put jack plates on. I wouldn't own a toon without one. Helps with setback and running larger 4 blade props(Bravo and Rev 4) The jack plates also help adjust the pontoon when the loaded with passengers. With a Bob's Jackplate,10" setback, Verado mounted in the third hole from the top I still need to run the jack plate 5" up to get the best out of the boat-6750rpms

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
The last several pontoons I've had I've put jack plates on. I wouldn't own a toon without one. Helps with setback and running larger 4 blade props(Bravo and Rev 4) The jack plates also help adjust the pontoon when the loaded with passengers. With a Bob's Jackplate,10" setback, Verado mounted in the third hole from the top I still need to run the jack plate 5" up to get the best out of the boat-6750rpms
Thanks so much for this usefull reply.... I've been kinda studying the jack plate idea..pretty cheep tool for what it does.... to be able to adjust for any amout of load would be nice!.... I'M SETTING UP MY WIFES BOAT RIGHT NOW...AND KINDA HAD TO PICK WHAT USEAGE .. for us it's mostly just us two with combined weight of less than 300 lbs.... not a big beer drinker at the lake... so not much in the soft side cooler...I moved the motor up a couple holes and though it's all been positive.... might cause a problem with 10 people on board...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
but back to the thread.... when looking.... I had two things to think about.... one was price, the other was I wanted to spend my money where we had our lake house.... that little town needs all the help it can get....tax wise....next,.. I wanted the best price toon.....that's why I bought aat cactus... they sell a 50 mph plus tri toon... with 27'' gt toon,.. hold 45 gals of fuel...so all day with out buying fuel... went from winsor to the avi casino and back on 17 gals of fuel....and it has a full 10 yr warranty...and all this for $59,999.00.... no one else came close....I used to race front engine dragsters.... so the platform that guys put a big motor and go way faster than they should is and always was, and always will be the drive.....hell, guys even put big motors on blenders!!!!…. if it's not for you.... don't build or buy one....you wanna put 6 or 8 motor on your toon.... cool...I had a hemi in my 34 ford.... put all the money in the motor so couldn't afford fenders...way cool was the response from most.....and those that thought it was stupid....well , lets just say they weren't my type of people...unrestricted choice is my opinion...

Not Important

Reaction score
We just posted this in the classifieds if you’re interested in used.

2287F86C-78B0-4976-B772-510BA9139A60.jpeg

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My wife’s just came in, ordered it about 10 weeks ago, Avalon 25 rear lounger, Merc 200, extreme trailer.......$53,000.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
getting back to the thread.....I think the question should include size...

9a16fa83c0a14173a179a7a66985d3fc.jpg

11da32dd4244ba510511229cda8431fb.jpg