WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

electrical problem

73mandella

Reaction score
Ran into a problem and need some help. We keep blowing the breaker when the engine (460 Ford) is shut off. Long story short, we had a problem with the Petronix distributor and replaced it with an MSD, rebuilt the starter, and had the alternator checked. Unfortunately, the breaker still keeps blowing when we shut off the engine. Any suggestions? Thanks

IMG_1032.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Feedback from the starter solenoid? Bad ignition switch?

Isolate the circuits till you find it.

73mandella

Reaction score
Thanks. My son is the real mechanic in the family; I'll let him know.
Feedback from the starter solenoid? Bad ignition switch?

Isolate the circuits till you find it.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Thanks. My son is the real mechanic in the family; I'll let him know.

Are you using the stock ford setup ie remote solenoid? Or has it been converted to a GM style with an integrated solenoid?

I wanna bet you have a bad ignition switch, and it's shorting internally when you shut it off.

Just a note a well, make sure you run the MSD power capacitor, it will prevent box destruction from voltage surges. You know the reason half the people hate MSD and need a new box every few years....

This fixes that.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/accessories/installation_accessories/parts/8830

73mandella

Reaction score
Thank you...'ll get this to my son today. Hopefully we'll get this fixed by this Wednesday.

Are you using the stock ford setup ie remote solenoid? Or has it been converted to a GM style with an integrated solenoid?

I wanna bet you have a bad ignition switch, and it's shorting internally when you shut it off.

Just a note a well, make sure you run the MSD power capacitor, it will prevent box destruction from voltage surges. You know the reason half the people hate MSD and need a new box every few years....

This fixes that.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/accessories/installation_accessories/parts/8830

73mandella

Reaction score
Thanks again. My son ordered the part.

This fixes that.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Let us know how it all turns out :thumbsup

DaveH

Reaction score
circuit breakers are nothing more than a spring that when heated from current passing through it open the circuit. the spring can break down from age and moisture. I would replace the breaker.