WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Parker Smallmouth

Backlash

Reaction score
We made a quick trip down to Parker this weekend and here are a few shots of the damage.

20170630_091118.jpg

20170701_075055.jpg

20170701_073648.jpg

20170701_092607.jpg

We used artificials all weekend and had more success with the Yamamoto Alien than others we've used in the past. Productive (And tasty!), weekend for sure!! :D

Backlash

Reaction score
Thank you Sir! ;)

The fish in the first picture is the largest smallmouth I've ever caught. I was shocked when I boated him using 4lb. test! :eek

Mr.Puck

Reaction score
Always thought smallmouth were ugly... This confirms it ! Caught a decent one at lake San Antonio once and was like what the F is this this, my buddy let me know... Nice catch , did ya throw em back?

Backlash

Reaction score
These little guys are beautiful in their own way. Tasty little boogers too! :)

I thought long and hard about playing the catch and release card with the little lady but considering she is Asian, that wasn't going to fly. :D

Grilled them up for dinner last night! ;)

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I see you fishing pretty much every morning i wake up, that must be your honey hole.

Haha. It is my honey hole! I?ll be out there every morning this weekend. [emoji1303]

boatnam2

Reaction score
Looked like you were doing pretty good, see quite a few guy's fish that area, wish i was heading out this weekend, good luck on the bite.

Backlash

Reaction score
Nice fish guys!! I've been so busy with life we haven't been out to Parker in a while. It sux. The next time we head out there I'm going to switch gears a bit and try out some freshly tied flies. That is if Marco leaves any fish for me! :D

Backlash

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I posted some of these in another thread in the lounge, but figured I'd post them here too. July 4th weekend.

20190706_053435.jpg

20190707_081157.jpg

Caught 6 the first day and two more the second day. We only kept 2 to eat for the weekend and tossed the others back.

Using a Yamamoto Kreature on an Owner 1/0 hook rigged weedless with no weight. 12 lb. test with a Phenix Recon Elite rod and a Shimano Nasci 2500 reel. I think it's probably my favorite setup for fishing Parker smallmouth. The Senko worms typically work well too, but I've been having better luck with the Kreature.

We fished the upper half of the river from Castle Rock Shores up to the damn. Most of what we caught were south of the island in the deep pool. Good times for sure!!

Figured I'd bump this thread with some updated pics. As always, stay safe and have a good night!

Henry

Backlash

Reaction score
Good afternoon Folks! We snuck out to the river again this weekend and had a really nice time. It was toasty but still managed to grab a few smallmouth. Kept one which we cooked for dinner last night! ;)

20190726_185447.jpg

20190727_181200.jpg

I caught both of these fish on the same Kreature plastic. I tried throwing a few other styles but didn't have anywhere near the same results. As always, stay safe and have a nice weekend!

Henry

Backlash

Reaction score
We are home now, but every trip we make, I try to wet a line. Catching one of legal size keeps the Mrs. happy (Dinner!), and her being happy allows me to continue chasing tails! :D

NicPaus

Reaction score
What time were you catching? It was brutally hot this weekend.

Backlash

Reaction score
What time were you catching? It was brutally hot this weekend.

Sorry Nic I just saw your post! I was having the best luck right before sun up and right before sundown. Coolest times of the day. The fish were down deep. I know if you head further up river towards the dam, they are holding 20-30' down in some places.

Backlash

Reaction score
Boom! Caught another nice one late yesterday afternoon!

20190830_174853.jpg

Little fishing boat engine lost an impeller so we may not go after any more tonight. Let's see how the afternoon goes! ;)

Backlash

Reaction score
Jig head with a plastic swim tail from the beach. South of the damn on the Arizona side.

Backlash

Reaction score
Boom! Another productive striper weekend! 😁

20200515_200207.jpg

Must be the lucky Ron Jon shirts and Dickies shorts! 😁

I caught this one at about the same time of day, but a little further north and in deeper water. Shes about an inch or two shorter than the last with a little less meat on her bones. Still tasted great on the grill though!

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
When are your returning to Parker? I have a seat lined up for you in a friends boat.
IMG_9920.jpg
IMG959925.png

Backlash

Reaction score
Right on Wheeler!! I haven't heard from the Boss when we are heading back out. Hopefully in a few weeks unless I can twist her arm! 😁

CobraDave

Reaction score
Man tHese are great catches!! I’ve been trying for ever to get my son to catch a decent fish in the lake. Can someone show and post links to exactly what I need? I’d love to not use live bait. I don’t know all of this fish lingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
CD, you and him need to just spend a few bux to get some fishing equipment and some lures. I'm not sure where you plan to fish, so I will tell you what I use in Parker. Dont buy what I've bought unless you like to make the Mrs. angry with your frivolous spending. She knows fishing is my weakness, so she just rolls her eyes a little bit and allows me to pursue this hobby.

By no means am I a professional angler, nor do I claim to be proficient. I just get lucky from time to time and can bring something home to throw on the grill. We do practice catch and release too so that others can enjoy what the river has to offer. Don't tell my Asian wife this, but we don't bring every single fish home that we catch (She would!!). 😁

I fish with Phenix rods and Shimano reels and couldn't be happier. The rods are amazing and the reels are super smooth with a consistent drag. I typically fish with 12 lb. mono and have equipment suitable for that line rating. I sometimes go a little lighter for smallmouth and fish 8lb. test. I don't use any fluorocarbon and try to limit the unnecessary rigging. I tie straight to the jig or hook and avoid snaps and swivels as I feel the fish can see it. Maybe or maybe not. Learn a good knot and be confident in it.

I don't use live bait in Parker and have caught everything using artificial lures. I use various plastics from Gary Yamamoto and Big Hammer and the appropriate jig heads and hooks for how I rig these lures. Top water plugs work as do spinnerbaits. Depending on the species, the time of year, the water temp and the time of day, I'll switch up how and where I fish and what I fish with.

You have to find where the fish are and at what depth they are holding. These fish are pretty consistent so once you find a spot, it should continue to produce for you. Rock ledges, dropoffs, current changes, eddies, etc. Try each of these areas if you can get to them safely. Fish docks and other structure if you can. You'll get snagged and lose your favorite lure once in awhile, but that's the cost of doing business.

Other than that, get out there and fish! I've caught fish early on the morning and later at night. I've caught them fishing hard and also while playing around in the swim area with an $8 closed-face kid's rod/reel combo from Wal-Mart! It's all about having fun and getting lucky! 😉

If you have more questions though, please let me know. I'm no expert but I love fishing and am happy to chat about it with anyone who will listen!

Tight lines!

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Man tHese are great catches!! I’ve been trying for ever to get my son to catch a decent fish in the lake. Can someone show and post links to exactly what I need? I’d love to not use live bait. I don’t know all of this fish lingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the lake (Mead) we were dropping pieces of frozen anchovies right off the side of the boat. Depth varies, that day they were hitting at about 45-50ft.
For a while there it was as quick as you could get the fish off, bait the hook and sink it. Repeat.