WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2017 Nordic 29 Deck with 400Rs prop testing

waggoner5

Reaction score
This is my first post here on RDP, so hello to all. I took delivery of my boat after Memorial day and I have to say John and Thane have built an extremely nice boat, as good as anything I have come across within reason. Attention to detail is spot on and customer service is above and beyond. Now on to the real world testing. I have an extensive background in offshore boats and race and development and have owned many cats, but this is my first deckboat with the modified tunnel design. I am looking for the best all around prop for a loaded down boat, and documented some testing this last week I thought I would share. Keep in mind the fuel and bimini up/down status. Our boat is going to be used all over the US and mostly with 4 or more people and top up. The top speed is secondary to driveability, and planing times are important. A trim tab appears to be a must have at this point to correct low speed porpoising and to help with planning times. Mid range and high speed handling is amazing even at very high speeds.

24 Rev XP bimini up 1 person 80 degrees 80 gal fuel 85mph 7200 rpm rev limilt 11%
26 Bravo 1 bimini down 1 person 85 degrees 40 gal fuel 88mph 7100 rpm 13%
26 Max 5 bimini up 1 person 80 degrees 80 gal fuel 87mph 7100 rpm 14%
30 bravo1 bimini down 1 person 85 degrees 40 gal fuel 98mph 6900 rpm 14%

Attachments

• Nordic prop testing.pdf
    179.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 29deck2.jpg
    29deck2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 157

H2O

Reaction score
Beautiful boat, congrats...looks like Nordic continues to do stellar work. :thumbsup

I've been following the 400r since it's introduction and nice to see West Coast builders starting to adapt.

Thanks for the real world data points.

ENJOY!

PS - How do you like the modified tunnel design...compared to say a 28 Skater, or similar?

waggoner5

Reaction score
The modified tunnel seems to drive way better at slow to moderate speeds but in my opinion is a little more skittish at WOT. It does not track as well as my skater for sure.
For overall use though, I like the Talon design better. Most posts on the forum are all about top speed bragging rights, but for me I need a boat that will perform all over. The 30 Bravo1 would not get on plane without our 2 teenage kids sitting up front. This was with 1/2 tank fuel, bimini up. I can only imagine how the 32s would work.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
28 Bravo one's might be perfect?

HavaToon

Reaction score
I'm shocked the Max 5 didn't net you anymore speed. On my 29 DB with twin 300xs I ran the Hydromotive P5X 26p to 89mph and 6400rpm. They were as fast as any other prop I tried but handling and planing were far superior to any other prop.

Good luck with the prop testing, I know I had a lot of fun doing it and like you was looking for the best all around prop.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw i to this on Sunday near Topock it's absolutely gorgeous

waggoner5

Reaction score
I'm shocked the Max 5 didn't net you anymore speed. On my 29 DB with twin 300xs I ran the Hydromotive P5X 26p to 89mph and 6400rpm. They were as fast as any other prop I tried but handling and planing were far superior to any other prop.

Good luck with the prop testing, I know I had a lot of fun doing it and like you was looking for the best all around prop.

The max 5s were a perfect storm of weight and wind resistance. Full of fuel and bimini up. I haven't tried any Hydromotives yet, and our next trip is on Tahoe with 4 adults and 4 kids so for now a small set of props are in order. I want fast planing and good midrange for the kids tubing etc. If 85 is the number for the all around prop, I will be happy. We always have to many people and lots of crap to carry. I will use the 30s when I want all out speed. Maybe try a set of labbed ones for some extra speed and a couple of rpm. One thing I have noticed on the Bravo1 props is that they have consistently measured about 1.5-2 pitch sizes smaller than advertised. The other props were spot on.
The 400s with the sportmaster gearcases and the weight difference over the 300XS might be the slower planing sitch. I will keep trying props and keep posting results as I go. Thanks for everyones input.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you already know that drilling holes in the props will help it get on plane MUCH faster and not effect the overall performance in any way, at least that I know of. We drilled our bravo props and it made a huge difference, especially since we just have 300's not 400's.

waggoner5

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you already know that drilling holes in the props will help it get on plane MUCH faster and not effect the overall performance in any way, at least that I know of. We drilled our bravo props and it made a huge difference, especially since we just have 300's not 400's.
The Rev4 and the Max5 are drilled.the Bravos are not. I will probably drill them and give them another try though.

mikezee

member at large
Reaction score
The Rev4 and the Max5 are drilled.the Bravos are not. I will probably drill them and give them another try though.

Nice work showing your results.
I'm doing some prop testing myself,as i have the same set up as you.

HavaToon

Reaction score

That will make a huge difference on the bravos. I first tested my P5X and Bravo XS without vent holes and couldn't plane without people walking to the bow and still struggled. Once vented I could plane in 6-10 seconds depending on load.

I'd recommend trying the Bravo OC, pre drilled and built specifically for twin OB cats/tunnels.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-propellers/outboard/bravo-i-oc/

If you're going to drill bravos you already have make sure it's done with a Mercury PVS tool. That way it will be easy to plug or reduce.

mikezee

member at large
Reaction score
That will make a huge difference on the bravos. I first tested my P5X and Bravo XS without vent holes and couldn't plane without people walking to the bow and still struggled. Once vented I could plane in 6-10 seconds depending on load.

I'd recommend trying the Bravo OC, pre drilled and built specifically for twin OB cats/tunnels.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/boat-propellers/outboard/bravo-i-oc/

If you're going to drill bravos you already have make sure it's done with a Mercury PVS tool. That way it will be easy to plug or reduce.

IMG_7246.jpg
trim tab helps big time

mikezee

member at large
Reaction score
Researching tabs now. What model/dimensions is yours? What props are you running now?
Gary

Hi Gary
The tab was done by john at nordic.It is as wide as the tunnels..big big difference.
Coming up this weekend to try some props, will let you know the outcome.