WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Running oil that has been on the shelf

Runs2rch

Reaction score
So a friend of a friend needed help cleaning out his parents garage.

I ended up finding cases upon cases of Mobil One 15/50 API SF approved. I'm guessing circa late 80's early 90's.

All quart bottles are sealed with the flying donkey seal.

Would it be safe to run this oil? Additive package better back then? Bottle shows 25k change interval.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
IMG_3719.jpg IMG_3720.jpg

Pics

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
SGObsoleteCAUTION: Not suitable for use in most gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1993. May not provide adequate protection against build-up of engine sludge, oxidation, or wear.

That is some old stuff there. 25 years old at least based upon the API rating.

Quote from a retired Mobil Engineer :

Our marketing Dept says 5 years.

In reality... still good after you and I are long buried.
(So YES, your oil is still good)

Just before I retired, I tested a sample bottle that was
a little over 22 years old that we were clearing out in the lab, and it still tested EXACTLY the same when it was first processed.

I retired from the company with the Flying Donkey logo ;),

Link to Post : https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...owflat&Main=170597&Number=2539939#Post2539939

In short, if it was stored properly without large variations in temperature and it is still sealed, as long as it meets the API req's of what you are using it for it should still be ok....

Visual of said oil will tell you what you need to know...Bob the Oil Guy is a great resource.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Wasn't thinking the boat. Have a few older big block fords, and small blocks. 80's Vintage.

Lawnmower was the next plan.

farmo83

Reaction score
Family Friend has 2 cases of STP 50 weight in his garage from the early 80's. I'm assuming this would still be good as well ?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
In a sealed container at ambient temps, what could possibly break down?

The proper API certs are the only things I'd be concerned with.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Family Friend has 2 cases of STP 50 weight in his garage from the early 80's. I'm assuming this would still be good as well ?

It's more about how it was stored, if it froze and thawed every year, the additives will have settled and form a glob of detergents at the bottom.

If you read some posts on the website I linked several people have run stuff separated like that briefly, as a cleaning oil change etc. Most are unwilling to sacrifice using it for real because of the separation.

Open it up and look, if it is still clear, it's probably ok :thumbsup

HAP

Reaction score
Even stored properly it could be separated. You will know when you start poring it. Valvoline Racing 20/50 did this after 20 years on the shelf. I di not use it once I saw the settling.

R,
HAP