WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Picked up some crap

French Roll

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been addressed on here 1000 times and now it's my turn. We boat at pine flat lake and it is really full so that means there's a lot of junk in the water. We have a 21 Lavey Craft with a 496 ho and bravo 1x drive. I was running pretty hard and noticed it was running a little warm, slowed down and it cooled down. It runs fine at 3000 RPM or less anything over that and It'll start heating up again. The impeller was changed on last year's service. I talked to a couple different boat shops one guy said check the water pump and impeller first, another guy said possibly pull the outdrive as the debris may not even have made it to the water pump. Also wondering about backflush options and where to start. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

BDMar

B & D Marine
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been addressed on here 1000 times and now it's my turn. We boat at pine flat lake and it is really full so that means there's a lot of junk in the water. We have a 21 Lavey Craft with a 496 ho and bravo 1x drive. I was running pretty hard and noticed it was running a little warm, slowed down and it cooled down. It runs fine at 3000 RPM or less anything over that and It'll start heating up again. The impeller was changed on last year's service. I talked to a couple different boat shops one guy said check the water pump and impeller first, another guy said possibly pull the outdrive as the debris may not even have made it to the water pump. Also wondering about backflush options and where to start. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

When it runs hot at higher rpm's, it's usually a restriction in the supply. I would check the supply from the water pump down to the pickup in the drive. Something we are seeing more and more of as boats are aging. The Bravo gimbal housing where the water supply hose is "swedged" at the transom side will corrode around the hose and actually crush the plastic insert. It will run cool at idle and mid range, but hot at higher rpm's. The only proper fix is to put a block off plate at the fitting inside the transom and install a thru-hull or transom mounted pick up. That's the first place I'd look before pulling the drive. remove the plastic fitting at the transom and you will see immediately if that's the problem.