WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How bad is the heat on your boat?

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So on the 4th week we had the boat out and I noticed the rubber flapper on the left exhaust port was partially torn off at the top and was kind of hanging on for dear life. Its a fairly new boat at about 50 hrs so we figured it definitely has to be the heat. We store the boat in the garage and the garage is not temperature controlled. Knowing this happened, probably because of heat, im wondering what else could be happening since we basically take her out once a month.

Do you havasu storage guys see any normal issues that you always have to remedy? What other Problems should I be looking for? Does anyone have a checklist they go through before they take their boat out like we do?

For those of you who have a climate controlled garage. What is your electric bill? what temp do you keep it at?

TrojanDan

Reaction score
We have had our Magic in my non-climate controlled garage for 15 years. There hasn't been any damage. We are on our second pair of flappers going on 10 years. You may be over thinking this. The house on the other hand, I keep it at 88 so my fridge doesn't work hard and have other stuff melt, i.e. candles. :cool

j21black

Reaction score
Mine ended up being an impeller about to shit the bed..

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Your house is 500' from mine as the crow flies and faces the same direction. The hottest my garage as been is about 105*. Never had a problem with any of my toys for being in the non climate controlled garage. The batteries may suffer some, but thats why I have tenders on everything.

JuevosRancheros

Reaction score
I lost the left flapper as well. That side just seems to run hotter and less water flows out of that side of the exhaust. Swim step is fading on that side as well. Not sure it has to do with storage. Replacement flapper was still soft but looked like it had been sitting on a shelf awhile.

Moody

Reaction score
I have a friend that stores his boat in Havasu, by the Islander, that has (2) 55 gallon drums of water in there next to his boat. He Says it keep the humidity up in the storage and helps with everything from being dried out. I thought that was a great idea.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I am glad to hear i might be over thinking it....and of course coulda been a bad flapper....thanks for all the insight......just figured the africa heat was an issue..

oldschool

Reaction score
I am glad to hear i might be over thinking it....and of course coulda been a bad flapper....thanks for all the insight......just figured the africa heat was an issue..

The sun will cause way more damage than a hot garage.

jonnyd

Reaction score
I agree with Dave. I'd check your cooling system. You may have overheated or got close to overheating.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Metal Flapper

03-5101291-004.png

Problem Solved, almost :rolleyes

Unfortunately Hardin Marine used to offer a set of metal flappers, and StainlessSteelMarine doesn't just sell the metal flapper you have to buy a new set of exhaust tips.

TLAW719

Reaction score
It might just be a bad flapper. The one inside the exhaust on my left side is missing half the flapper.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Our boat sits outside every summer for the last 14 years and we have no issues with the flappers, not one.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...if your boat has a rubber impeller in the water pump and a piece of the impeller has come off ...that piece may have become lodged somewhere in one bank of the motor...That can cause one side of the motor to run hotter than the other and do some serious damage ... if that is the case that piece of the impeller must be found and removed...don't know what your boat is or what kind of water pump it has... hopefully this is not the case...