WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Imp is sinking...

d4l

Reaction score
Some sad news from "Team Imp"! Cept for a fuse to the box on the left engine everything ran great this past weekend. But we noticed that the bilge ran about every 2.5h. On sunday it ran every 2min[emoji37] after further inspection we found the leak.

An old repair on the hull just under the engineroom have broke again. The repair is old and not done by us, but we now saw that it was not done correctly. We dont know how bad it is on the inside yet, how much of the floor that has been eaten up by the water...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure what we are talking about here? The only imp I know is on game of thrones?

Icky

Reaction score
He's got a water leak in his boat and it's getting worse

Reactions: d4l

d4l

Reaction score
IMG_4044.jpg

spectras only

Reaction score
The IMP's had problems with their plywood floors in the past.So I wouldn't be surprised if there's a problem with stringers and transoms as well.i've been on a 27 with twins and it flexed like wet noodle.:skullWas a good looking hull though.

spectras only

Reaction score
We had a 31 all black one a while back in our poker run group . It was heavy like a tank, couldn't go much over 55 with twin n/a big blocks.;)

d4l

Reaction score
We had a 31 all black one a while back in our poker run group . It was heavy like a tank, couldn't go much over 55 with twin n/a big blocks.;)

Have any pics of it?:) rly? We have reached 82[emoji15] nothing we could ever do during a run tho. As you said, heavy as a tank.

spectras only

Reaction score
haven't got any pics, only have dvd's made by Northwest poker run's photographer Brad, aka 'Thunderballs' where the boat may be seen. I'm almost certain the boat had standard 330 HPChevys.

boatpi

Reaction score
Imp was an extremely well-made premium boat the hull of the boat Was packed with foam and balsa wood capsule, it was probably the quietest hull I have ever ridden in. A 50 miles an hour you could hit 3 foot rollers it would be very quiet. The hull would not vibrate built like a rock. Some of the models had fiberglass liners primarily the fishing models with self bailing cockpits.

They are primarily fishing and sport boats they did make a models with twins a 27 I believe, maybe a 30, that would do about 60 miles an hour 454's, that's about it .

They were made in Kansas and went out of business just after the quarter administration one boat moms want to 14%. That's about the same time Thunderbird and formula got the two names together the boat business was upside down at that point.

see this; http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-IMP-In...854539?hash=item568b93010b:g:0VQAAOSwawpXridF

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Sounds like the brand shot a bolt through the owners heart.. and now might be possibly be advising a queen with dragons on how to fix

Just as long as he wasn't on the shitter at the time.

spectras only

Reaction score
I

they did make a model with twins at 27 I believe, maybe an30, that would do about 60 miles an hour 454's, that's about it .

The 27 with twins I looked at to buy had twin sbc, red hullsides and the dreaded balsa core. Very pretty looking boat for the era.:thumbsup Would have cost too much to re-do the hull, so I declined.The black 31' could have been a Viper model, can't remember. It was a tank and rode well in the snot.

Here's a newer version for sale. Seems like the newer ones have hull&deck issues too. Possibly a shoe box construction withonly screws holding them together. I remember when Welcraft had the 26 Nova's with only screws holding the hull/deck together, and they called it an offshore contender,lol.

31 IMP Viper > http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/IMP-310-Viper-2835138/W.-Eldon/MO/United-States#.WXDrVlGQzCY

d4l

Reaction score
Cool looking boat. If you want I can do a full cover with info and pictures of ours now when I go on vacation in about a week.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Imp was an extremely well-made premium boat the hull of the boat Was hacked with foam and balsa wood capsule, it was probably the quietest hull I have ever ridden in. A 50 mile an hour you could hit 3 foot rollers it would be quiet in the hall would not vibrate built like a rock. Some of the models had fiberglass liners primarily the fishing models with self bailing cockpitS.

They are primarily fishing and sport boats they did make a model with twins at 27 I believe, maybe an30, that would do about 60 miles an hour 454's, that's about it .

They were made in Kansas and went out of business just after the quarter administration one boat moms want to 14%. That's about the same time Thunderbird and formula got the two names together the boat business was upside down at that point.

They were made in Kansas and went out of business just after the Carter administration when boat loans went to 14 percent. Thats what I got:drink

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
If I recall, IMP was a line out of the midwest. Used to see them around here years ago but never heard many good things about them.

Had friends that bought a 24 IMP as their first boat. Pulled from the dock on the first launch. The bow rose when the husband hit too much throttle and they t-boned another boat leaving the IMP on top of the other boat around the helm area.

No one seriously hurt though a lady on the other boat was a drama queen claiming neck injury and paramedics got scared and had her Life Flighted to Houston. No serious injury but they sued and the friends insurance took a hit because the SD issued some kind of nautical citation for not maintaining safe control. They were so freaked out they sold the boat at a loss and shied away from boating.

Accident had nothing to do with the brand, I just remember it as an IMP.

boatpi

Reaction score
Sorry for the post , had computer and operator issues. Corrected.

Imp Boats were made in Iola Kansas, in this E Bay brochure you can see the unique lower hull design; http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-IMP-In...587967?hash=item43f34b01bf:g:z9QAAOSwZVlXridE

I sold them at one point in my early days, very solid family and fishing boats. they were a premium boat. This is a 250Xpress; http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMP-X250-Ex...340509?hash=item3d410c751d:g:4UUAAOSwHMJYFQhV

I had one with twin 250's run out at 60 MPH, not bad for small blocks and carbs coupled with a slightly heavy hull.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
First boat I was ever on was a friend of my dad's IMP. went to Lake Mead in 1968 and have been hooked ever since.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
at you you found the leak vefore ypur boat sank over nite somewhere.
diagnosing the problem is a big part of fixing it right!

d4l

Reaction score
We started to work on the hull last night[emoji1320][emoji1306]

Hava-Schiada

Reaction score
Yep...Built like a tank! First boat my family had when I was 10 in 1973. We used to go to Catalina all the time. Took it to Parker and people looked at us like we were crazy! Damn I wish my old man bought a flatty instead!! Embarrassing at the time!