WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

paging DB, how do you deal with pups hair?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I am watching a friends shepherd mix, and her hair is every where. I am doing daily brushings with an under hair brush and yet I can not look at the dog with out getting covered in hair. any tips on keeping the hair level in the house down?

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am watching a friends shepherd mix, and her hair is every where. I am doing daily brushings with an under hair brush and yet I can not look at the dog with out getting covered in hair. any tips on keeping the hair level in the house down?
If you are brushing daily, that's all you can do, especially with a shepherd mix. I wouldn't use an undercoat rake daily, just a regular brush will do. Dogs shed - lol. Better not offer to dog sit if you don't like having to deal with fur.
fbe437af5473438aae9120de935b83f5.jpg

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
Watching someone's long haired dog in the middle of summer and complaining about hair being everywhere...

Next time make sure you only watch poodles. 🐩

RCDave

Reaction score
A high pressure grooming blower is the best tool

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Take the dog to the groomers and have it shaved. :D

Stacy just did that to our dog.. She looks terrible, and she knows it.. I have been giving her extra love for the last two days because I think she has a complex about the hair cut.. LOL

That said, we have been changing out our air filter in our house on the regular, and the freakin pet dander is out of control. This is the last big shedding dog I'll own, I'd rather go back to pitbulls.

RD

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
My old pound hound that passed at 18 years this spring had short hair but shed enough hair to build another complete dog on a regular basis. His crate was in the garage and I'd vacuum up great balls of hair every week. When he passed I had a bag full of hair that had lodged behind his crate in just several months.

Choose wisely for an inside dog or spend lots of time controlling the shed.....

RCDave

Reaction score
you don't know what shedding is till you own a Husky, and mine was a hybrid Wolf/Husky. not only shed but mote, hair comes off in clumps......

LOL! No kidding. We have a few of them

Attachments

• DSC_0122-20150903-141406207.jpeg
    DSC_0122-20150903-141406207.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG0383.jpg
    IMAG0383.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Workin dogs.jpg
    Workin dogs.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Stacy just did that to our dog.. She looks terrible, and she knows it.. I have been giving her extra love for the last two days because I think she has a complex about the hair cut.. LOL

That said, we have been changing out our air filter in our house on the regular, and the freakin pet dander is out of control. This is the last big shedding dog I'll own, I'd rather go back to pitbulls.

RD

Some large breed shedding dogs should not be shaved, particularly those with a double coat. Best to check with a knowledgeable breeder. We never shaved our Newfoundland. We knew going in that Newfs shed and just dealt with it. Actually, it really wasn't that bad.

RCDave

Reaction score
Some large breed shedding dogs should not be shaved, particularly those with a double coat. Best to check with a knowledgeable breeder. We never shaved our Newfoundland. We knew going in that Newfs shed and just dealt with it. Actually, it really wasn't that bad.

This is spot on. Shaving eliminates the protections against heat and cold inherit in many breeds

Reaction score
These little Pet Wedges are the shit for getting hair off of furniture and/or carpet.

Attachments

• Pet Wedge.jpg
    Pet Wedge.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 9

lbhsbz

Reaction score
There is nothing you can do...dogs will shed, and shed more when it's hot. We have 3 puggles...dog hair is a condiment in our house.

I made quite a break through the other day...bought a Dewalt cordless wet/dry vac that uses the same 20V MAX batteries as all my other stuff. In about a minute, I can walk around the few rooms where the dogs spend their time and get all the hair up from the corners. No cord, so it's convenient and quick, and I find myself doing it a couple times a day....

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
you don't know what shedding is till you own a Husky, and mine was a hybrid Wolf/Husky. not only shed but mote, hair comes off in clumps......

Oh yeah, Boris was a hybrid, and when it was bad I could fill a supermarket bag a day, the backyard looked like a winter wonderland.

boris14.jpg

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Shorthairs don't shed...

...anything but short hairs! Lots and lots and lots of short hairs

IMG_2752.jpg

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
IMG_1779.jpg

105 lbs of rock eating, hair shedding machinery right here.

Best way to stop some dogs from shedding is to not offer to watch them, or to not get them in the first place. It's not the dogs "fault" that they shed. Enjoy doing something for another. They appreciate it.

milkmoney

Reaction score
My white lab, sheds like crazy , the black , not so much. But the black has white hair on her lol [emoji6]