WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toon speed????

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Yup same boat that ran in 10 footers and won in puerto Rico- rock solid. Ran 97 with a Na 565 in the 2/3 mile

All the Big V's are 24 degrees and fully interlined.

UD

I think that pic I posted on page 3 of it flying is from the Puerto Rico race years ago possibly. I really dig that blue one they built recently also

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
What size outboard is needed to push a toon 30mph????
Yes I know size and weight are a factor but I just want to know let's say a 90, 150 or 200+ is needed.

Look at all this drama you started.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

warlock250

Reaction score
If I was you then I would set the AC at 78 and put some carpet under those toons. Leaving them just laying on the flat asphalt parking lot is straight up hillbilly and will not draw you in many customers.
I don't think I will need any advice on how to run a boat store and I don't need to explain why it's like that out front of you don't get it.
Toons are made to be set on the ground just so you know.
The Ac is usually at 78 and it's nice and cool inside and that electric bill is fun. But makes customers comfortable so that's what matters. Is there something wrong with Hillbillies now. Lol.

warlock250

Reaction score
I don't think I will need any advice on how to run a boat store and I don't need to explain why it's like that out front of you don't get it.
Toons are made to be set on the ground just so you know.
The Ac is usually at 78 and it's nice and cool inside and that electric bill is fun. But makes customers comfortable so that's what matters. Is there something wrong with Hillbillies now. Lol.
Well if its a bad idea to have overflowing boats from inside get parked outside is a bad thing in your books it sure hasn't slowed sales down one bit, it's made it even crazier around there. We need more good sales people and some more guys building boats up. There's not enough time I the day to get it all done. But that's a great thing. Making Boating Great Again. [emoji3]

River Runnin

Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;OGhrete64qk]https://youtu.be/OGhrete64qk[/video]

warlock250

Reaction score
[video=youtube_https;OGhrete64qk]https://youtu.be/OGhrete64qk[/video]
That thing is like driving your living room. One more reason why Premier went Bankrupt.
I'm working on getting a Triple 400R Verado boat built if I can get it past legal. Just to do it for fun to say I have it. [emoji6]

underpressure

Reaction score
Saw 49 Yesterday on a brief high speed pass by Cat Tail...lol. About 40 gals of gas and 2 people...

24ft Southbay, 300 Merc Verado...

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Saw 49 Yesterday on a brief high speed pass by Cat Tail...lol. About 40 gals of gas and 2 people...

24ft Southbay, 300 Merc Verado...

Please verify if that was on GPS. We need to know exact Toon Speeds! Haha.

We need a RDP toon regatta next year.......

underpressure

Reaction score
Please verify if that was on GPS. We need to know exact Toon Speeds! Haha.

We need a RDP toon regatta next year.......

Legit 49, on GPS!

Saw a couple toons racing up the lake in front of 3 dunes...enjoyed my whole Coors light as they "flew by"....

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Legit 49, on GPS!

Saw a couple toons racing up the lake in front of 3 dunes...enjoyed my whole Coors light as they "flew by"....

That's what I'm talking about!!!
Don't race, you might spill your CL smoothie!

Devious_Chris

I wear sunglasses, lake Havasu city az.
Reaction score
Lol, you can belittle me and what I do which is fine. I have 2 stores and getting Havasu up and running is fun. Just a little Toon dealer with boats in a parking lot. Thanks. You forgot to mention the 15,000 Sq ft of indoor showroom in the air conditioning. You Sir could not even carry my Electric Bills let alone the Rent. Hehehe. And soon to be expanded. Hmmm. Try some of that all on. [emoji3] [emoji6]

Warlock do you own Cactus?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Legit 49, on GPS!

Classic :thumbsup could you hear the roar of the triple 400's ?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Utter nonsense.

Lavey has an awesome SVL offshore record.

Factory 1 Champs in 04, World Champions in 06 if I recall.
One season their SVL boat won every race.

That same boat is still winning races and won best in class in the GLOC shootout last week.

UD

An interesting thread for sure.
Sort of entertaining someone (with 30 years in the industry) points the west coast lake boat finger at one of the few mfgs that isn't just a lake boat. :champagne:

riverroyal

Reaction score
I just skimmed this thread. Here's what I remember. A guy owns a few dealerships, has one coming to havasu. Bashes or at least has a social media pissing contest with havasu regulars. Am I close? Enjoy that business of yours

warlock250

Reaction score
I just skimmed this thread. Here's what I remember. A guy owns a few dealerships, has one coming to havasu. Bashes or at least has a social media pissing contest with havasu regulars. Am I close? Enjoy that business of yours
Well I don't lay down when people want to push I push back. Lmao.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Is it a secret, or can we find out which dealership warlock owns? I have nothing bad to say, just curious.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Gotcha. I think I did read that earlier. Thanks.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Build a new toon 26' + with a full length hardtop, possibly one that folds down for storage ?

We have had a number of toons over the past decades (and you guys are finally catching up now) but have always kept our 26' Gregor, because of the full hard top .......

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Do you mean like an accessible hard top that you can stand/sit in or just a hard top as in shade area in lie of a bimini?

AzGeo

Reaction score
Do you mean like an accessible hard top that you can stand/sit in or just a hard top as in shade area in lie of a bimini?

Not an upper deck .

Have had a Tracker, Starlite, and Elcoa with Bimini's, or no top .

Had a 24' Intertech with a 1/2 length hard top (aluminum floors) .

The green 24' Landau with a 1/2 length hard top . (that's now Paul's slip)

The white boat we will always keep rebuilding, because of the hard top, the 26 Gregor . (tearing it down in photo, for rebuild)

Drove thru the new boats over at the Mall parking lot, lots of very fancy looking boats . Did not see one with a full hard top .

If I can find one, I'd like the hard top to fold down easily, this would lend itself to being quickly covered for storage . (no more slips, 27 + years in Havasu Marina, is long enough)

Attachments

• IMG_8809.JPG
    IMG_8809.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_8812.JPG
    IMG_8812.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 257

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Interesting, I have never really looked closely at toons with hard tops like that. What is the advantage over a well built bimini set up? I would think you could have someone fab a hard top like that fairly easily to an existing toon just not sure how it would be made collapsible.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
how do you like the Avalon ?

The wife likes it a little more than me!
I like it. Completely different boating experience.
Got Water marine, the dealer, has been awesome. Fit and finish isn't as custom as my Nordic, but handles awesome, can be used for tubing and wake boarding, and is pretty much rattle free. It's a very good toon, as I've ridden in some rattle traps.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Interesting, I have never really looked closely at toons with hard tops like that. What is the advantage over a well built bimini set up? I would think you could have someone fab a hard top like that fairly easily to an existing toon just not sure how it would be made collapsible.

Why would I spend $80K plus for a boat that does not have my first choice of equipment built in ?

The white boat is a 1986, how many bimini tops would have been purchased in those 31 years ?

It's just so many less "poles, straps and bullshit" to get beaten up along with sun and wind damaged .

You don't know how great they are until you have had one for a while, and learn how trouble free and open the hard tops are .

In "fabbing one up", every boat I have looked at, required some kind of strong bracing to the floor structure, and none looked like a hard top could just be "bolted onto the rails" .

The green boat can actually have it's top lowered by removing 6 bolts and swinging the top forward, down to the seat backs . (it's a 1992)

I'll probably just rebuild this white one again, scrape the Quaggas out of the cooling system, do the carpets and seats, re-pipe the misters, acid wash (hope it's still thick enough), clean the carbs, gear oil and impeller, restock the bar, and go .

It would be a lot less work to just "write a check for a new one with a hard top" .....................

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Of course restoring your current toon would be the cheapest option and yes if you are going to spend 80K or more you should get the set up you want (as in hard top). I think my electric bimini is about as easy as it gets to work with. Push a button and up it goes in 10 seconds. at the end of the day, push the button and it retracts to go in the garage. Don't really see any disadvantage to a hard top unless you were leaving the boat docked and wanted to have a top up the entire time for weather protection then maybe the hard top would be a better option up 24/7.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Then there is the "cheap VS better" argument .

I made a "center pod" for this boat, about 12 years ago, for a number of reasons . It runs fast (for a 140), but is all apart .

We "rebuild it" about every 4 to 5 years (except this last time) . It's been sitting on the back RV parking spot for 4+ years, torn down .

It is just so much work to rebuild one of these, that I hoped we could find a new replacement with a hard top .

It's really more a kind of "time VS money VS availability" deal at this point .

If we found what we wanted, I'd give this one to one of my younger friends that have more time than money .

Justfishing

Reaction score
So the quotes from the very experienced high speed pontoon boat owners above mean nothing to you? Do you honestly think a 23 foot pontoon going 100 is as safe as a 28 foot Eliminator speedster going 100 with the same driver at the helm? The quote from the guy above pushing his toon over 100 saying " you are taking your life in your own hands" is pretty clear. 30 plus years of boating experience in a variety of different boats with the last year being in a toon. I may not be an expert in all areas but certainly knowledgeable to some degree with boats and certainly got enough common sense to foresee an accident waiting for a place to happen going high speed in a toon.

The way I read it was that when you get to 100 mph any boat wreck is a diaster.

I think you can safely run a pontoon in the 70 -80 mph range or a little higher. At some point it does become a sail and can blow over like a cat. A very can chine walk or hook. There is a good you tube video of a vee hull on lake of the Ozarks that hooked and tossed everyone around.

Today's tritoons are different. Lifting strakes to get the boat up and planing. Center tubes that are either larger or set deeper to improve handling. But like any boat they reach their limits. Sometimes it's the drivers.

I have seen that thrtoon at 114 mph and it is on the edge. I have seen others at 90 that are much tamer.

I will say that where tritoons shine is in rough water. At lake of the Ozarks a 24 v will get pounded and is almost unusable at times. The right tritoon loves that water. Plus you can do it with 10 friends in comfort.

AzGeo

Reaction score
Geo, do you transport the solid top white one.??

No, just up and down the hill in Havasu . If I ever took this one (I usually have 2 pontoons for different uses) down to Parker or Blythe (highway speeds), I can lower the top manually . Eight bolts and nuts, then (with another body) lower the top by standing under it and kneeling down with it on our backs .

I thought about making it "automatic", using an electric winch, pulleys, a long piece of tubing, and cables . But I've got about 40 other projects ahead of something like this .

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Honestly I kinda saw it the other way.. Looked like Lavey29 was kind of being abrasive for no reason?

Honestly I kinda of agree with the Warlock guy, Toon's (even fast ones) are pretty safe.. Granted you start running anything (Eliminators, toons etc..) at that point you got your life in your hands no matter what kinda boat it is.. The rest is just semantics.

RD

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
To AzGeo's point about hard tops.....

We had a pontoon with a full length solid top for a while and I completely agree that it was very nice. Ours was full length and great for Havasu as well as leaving it in the water full time (for us at least).

One thing about that boat which was older and a pontoon not tri-toon was that the boat was a lot heavier than it would have been with a cloth Bimini (of course) and it could get really moving from side to side on some of the big weekends when the water got real choppy.

All that being said it seems like there is a real market for for those full covers for boats that live in the water full time or at least longer periods on a dock!!

TCHB

Reaction score
Custom Canvas built my bimini top and they did a great job. At speed and bumpy water it stays put solid.
It is stainless steel with solid supports up front not straps. The top can not go side to side because of the solid ss bars holding it in position.
They really though about it when they put it together.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
I love my toon! Merc 4.3 runs at 31 about with just the family, fully loaded its about 23
images.png

riverroyal

Reaction score
Honestly I kinda saw it the other way.. Looked like Lavey29 was kind of being abrasive for no reason?

Honestly I kinda of agree with the Warlock guy, Toon's (even fast ones) are pretty safe.. Granted you start running anything (Eliminators, toons etc..) at that point you got your life in your hands no matter what kinda boat it is.. The rest is just semantics.

RD

Mine goes 45 maxed out. Its PLENTY fast with 2 biminis up and a martini. Its fun passing wakeboard boats watching the passengers getting beat up.
honestly

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Great quote.. Mine does 50 pinned, but passing the wake boats is a simple pleasure.. Almost makes me feel like we are going fast

Mine goes 45 maxed out. Its PLENTY fast with 2 biminis up and a martini. Its fun passing wakeboard boats watching the passengers getting beat up.
honestly

Brobee

Reaction score
honestly

The passengers of the WB boat? You must throw a pretty big wake to toss their passengers. The only time I had to slow down and adjust for a wake was for the three story tour cat that goes up and down the river. Be careful if you throw that much wake, you’ll be banned from Parker and all the flat bottoms will hate you. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlanB

Reaction score
The passengers of the WB boat? You must throw a pretty big wake to toss their passengers. The only time I had to slow down and adjust for a wake was for the three story tour cat that goes up and down the river. Be careful if you throw that much wake, you’ll be banned from Parker and all the flat bottoms will hate you. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he is referring to passing WB boats in rough water. Running on the lake on a windy day in my toon I often pass smaller glass boats getting beat to shit.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
well, here my take , I've owned 3 toons in the last month or so,..( one is Sues)...the first one...235 sb godfrey, powered by the new Evinrude 250 ho...the deck is 23'10... running a 17p prop.. it has the gt package which consist of a 27'' toon that has the notched rear section...also packs 45 gals of fuel...the thing is a rocket out of the hole....as bought.... it cruises 30 mph @ 4000 rpms...and 50 mph @ 6000 rpms,.. top speed in the havasu heat was 53 mpg,.. of coarse that GPS... the top speed was over reving the motor...rides real nice... and cruises 30 mph with ease... and quiet...they come with the dual bimin...and although pretty much rattle free...if you run with the two tops... they need to both be up or the rattles from the front will drive you nuts...we went from winsor to the avi and back , up river, 30-35 mph, down river @ 50 mph... was told it's about 90 miles...used 17 gals of fuel...

IMHO... this is the best deal out there $ for $...$59,900 as bought....so far it's 12 mph faster than the coach with a honda 250...

DSC04754.JPG

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the way the deal went,I bought the toon for me, wife had a cheetah deck with a 525 merc...we're both in our 60's and cruising is more the want...wife spent the day driving the toon, at the end of the day she made an unrefuseable offer...trade me the cheetah for the toon.... so I did it...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
so back to Cactus marine I went,..I edded up trading the cheetah in on a 250 dcrf with a 250 honda...the boat came with a tower....windshields and an extreme 20'' wheel triple axel trailer...with out a tape measure, I figured the 250 was about 1 foot longer.... the windshield real cut down on the roomy-ness of the toon...boat ran 5000 rpms to go 30 mph....sum ting wong!!!...tops out at 38 mph at over reving the motor bad...so after driving the toon all day,.. I learned to hate the windshield... the boat has the dual helm , dual captains chair package..its a tri toon with a 60 gal fuel tank... so I took off the windshield... wow di that open it up... more like a school bus....so with tape measure....27' deck... way too big for me and what I wanna do..