WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2:30 AM call, on a Sunday.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Sorry to read this Brian, prayers sent to you and the family.

jonnyd

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your brother and what you must be going through. I'm sure there are many of us who dread getting the same phone call. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. God bless during this tough time!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
You did what you could have and what you should have. Some people can't be saved no matter what you do. All you can do is try... you can't force good behaviour on someone with a self destructive mental illness no matter how hard you try.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about this Brian.

Do what you must to be there for your family, they need you right now. Put aside the disagreements and the problems, just let it all go and be present.

Prayers for you and your family.

Like others have said, nothing hurts like a dose of regret on top of the current pain.

Stay strong bud. Being the bigger person and a man is tough, we all make decisions for our daily mental health that have shitty outcomes when situations like this come up.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your little bro, glad you made the trip to see him knowing it would be tough. Hang in there and know that the RDP family is here for you.

buck35

Reaction score
Very sorry to read this , as I've seen it before. Just maybe some can put differences aside and the family will come out stronger. Prayers to all involved. :(

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Brian,

Sorry to hear of this situation. From what I have read you have done everything you could do for many years to be the big bother he needed, despite some interference and other crapola you've dealt with.
We all choose our own path, ultimately. People will do what they want to do, and they will find a means to do it. IT is sad, and it may indeed be a sickness, but that doesn't help when we watch them fade away from us.

Listen...you did the right thing by going to him.
When dealing with things that matter, we have to decide for ourselves what we will tolerate from others when they are trying to screw us up.
If, during difficult times, other people want to create drama, create chaos, create strife... then let them. and then let THEM live in it.
Simply refuse to participate in the crap...because it don't matter, Brian.
Not one bit.
Not worth one second of your time, your energy, your life.
You might even have to tell them so..."sorry, not interested in participating in this drama with you, but go ahead and have at it if it makes you happy...I am not playing tho."
Don't let it impact your sense of purpose, your cause for your actions. Knowing the right thing to do, knowing your compass is pointing you in the right direction and that your motivation is clear in purpose...it is a powerful thing.
I know, sounds easy, but I have had to do it myself. Just let them do what you know they are gonna do, and go around them.
Go around them.
When it starts to pss you off ask yourself, "is this worth my anger?" and if the answer is no, drop it like a hot rock....

Hang in there my friend.

Was at ER this morning at 445am with the wife. Thought it was her appendix, not so thankfully, but got home at 2pm, wiped out. Hope this makes sense.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts. Positive thinking helps. I appreciate it.

This board is the best.

I went by the hospital first thing before work this morning hoping to be alone with him and I wasn't, but at least peeps left and let me have some time with him.

Wouldn't you know, they were prepping him to do an EEG and he woke up from peeps touching him but when the nurse asked him if he was ok he shook his head, kinda made me sad. I guess ill worry about that later.

Vitals are good, the doctor wasn't available to talk to but the nurse said that him being awake, cognizant and responding to stimuli and commands is a good thing.

Just wild....kinda reminds me of the movie Flatliners.

Brian

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
That is good news indeed.
We will add him to the prayer list Brian.
You know how to reach me if you need to talk.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That is great news Brian!

Hopeful that it all works out, praying and positive thoughts to you and your family!

Maybe he'll get a "soft reset" and come out renewed. :thumbsup

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Was at ER this morning at 445am with the wife. Thought it was her appendix, not so thankfully, but got home at 2pm, wiped out. Hope this makes sense.

I hope everything is ok with the misses as well sir.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I booked a flight for my favorite sister and she will be here around 930A tomorrow.

Brian

guest hs

Reaction score
Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts. Positive thinking helps. I appreciate it.

This board is the best.

I went by the hospital first thing before work this morning hoping to be alone with him and I wasn't, but at least peeps left and let me have some time with him.

Wouldn't you know, they were prepping him to do an EEG and he woke up from peeps touching him but when the nurse asked him if he was ok he shook his head, kinda made me sad. I guess ill worry about that later.

Vitals are good, the doctor wasn't available to talk to but the nurse said that him being awake, cognizant and responding to stimuli and commands is a good thing.

Just wild....kinda reminds me of the movie Flatliners.

Brian
Best news I have heard all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Prayers for you Brian, not an easy thing to deal with. Hope your brother makes a recovery and can turn his life around

thetub

Reaction score
very good news ...

someone upstairs is watching...

didnt want to come off wacky, but going there and seeing him and talking to him helps...

they say people feel your presence and can here what you are saying...

Reaction score
Damn Brian just saw this. Hoping for the best. Keep you're head up.

j21black

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words peeps.

I just got back. He is just like I had dreaded, just laying there unresponsive. It is suspected that he took all the welbutrin he had(as many as 30 pills) that he is supposed to be taking. It sounded like the hospital is testing to see if that is what he took before they can take reactive measures. I didn't listen to much of that, in my mind, whatever happened wasn't an accident. The whole deal just makes me sad, he is a grown ass man and has any help that he could need. He just doesn't want it. What do you do?

My dad said he reacts to pinching and is having some REM but I witnessed nothing. I gave my baby brother a hug as best as I could, a kiss on the forehead, and told him I loved him no matter what. :)

Not much else I could do.

We will see what happens.

GodSpeed little bro.

I'm glad you went. I've had some family drama during the years. I went almost 3 years without speaking to my Dad. Got a call one night that he was in a bad accident. I was 600 miles away and at the hospital the next morning. It's been like nothing ever happened since I showed up that morning.

You are right, you can't choose your family, but they are still your family. You were the bigger man here and did the right thing IMO.

Heylam

Reaction score
Wow, fantastic news, hopefully there will be a full recovery and the wake up call he needs to get help.
On a second note, I'd be pissed at whomever from the hospital said that there was no brain activity. Sure put you through a roller coaster ride of emotion.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Waiting on my sister to get here, she just boarded her second flight.

Yesterday the nurses were able to remove his breathing tube and my brother was able to breathe on his own and talk a little.

My feeling yesterday was confirmed, that little fucker told the nurse, "I should have killed myself years ago."

My sister was telling me stories and times of them growing up, right now I am feeling like I failed my two younger siblings.

I am not getting much from home either, my wife is acting like shedontgiveafuck, at all. It isn't her brother, I get it, but damn woman, really? Can you make it any less obvious?

Today is my youngests 4th birthday and she wants a Ninja turtle bike. :)

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Wow, fantastic news, hopefully there will be a full recovery and the wake up call he needs to get help.
On a second note, I'd be pissed at whomever from the hospital said that there was no brain activity. Sure put you through a roller coaster ride of emotion.

Well, no one to be pissed at but him really, he came in to the hospital in a coma and unresponsive.

Brian

Heylam

Reaction score
Unconscious, unresponsive is a far cry from no brain activity.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Unconscious, unresponsive is a far cry from no brain activity.

I am no doctor and I didn't hear it first hand, either.

Either way sir, maybe so, no one to blame here but himself.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Waiting on my sister to get here, she just boarded her second flight.

Yesterday the nurses were able to remove his breathing tube and my brother was able to breathe on his own and talk a little.

My feeling yesterday was confirmed, that little fucker told the nurse, "I should have killed myself years ago."

My sister was telling me stories and times of them growing up, right now I am feeling like I failed my two younger siblings.

I am not getting much from home either, my wife is acting like shedontgiveafuck, at all. It isn't her brother, I get it, but damn woman, really? Can you make it any less obvious?

Tonight is my youngests 4th birthday and she wants a Ninja turtle bike. :)

Brian

So happy for you that he's come back from the coma. I don't know jackshit about this stuff, but suspect drugs can give some false readings and medical folks can speak out of context confusing things. Being in a coma is serious stuff and these deals happen. The wife had a niece who was a junky and she was counted out in a similar circumstance a couple times before she finally went down for the count. She never had the strength to fight it and the drugs won. Hopefully your Bro can beat it.

The main thing is to have hope this may being a turning point for your brother. Maybe, maybe not as he has to want to change. No one can help him. Don't let your family get you down and keep your head up. Without saying, this deal is far from over and others may not have gotten the wake up call this should have brought forth and they coiuld revert back into the same old shit show.

Thoughts are with you man. Stay tough.:thumbsup;)

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Just had a chance to read through this thread. So sorry to read this.

Glad things took a positive turn for your brother.
Hopefully he can fully recover and get a 2nd chance in life.

Good on you for putting feelings aside and being there for him no matter what. That's commendable. :thumbsup

SuperDave013

Reaction score
wow, crazy read! Hard to help someone that just doesn't want to be helped. Hopefully HE comes around. Happy to hear he's talking and happy to hear you did go. I'm going back to see my dad next month and let's just say know the feeling dealing with family drama / old wounds. But it's family and ya gotta step up when that time comes. Hang in there Brian.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be his moment of clarity - seeing all the people that still care about him. Maybe this time he will get help and try to find out why he feels he needs to kill himself. It's going to be a bumpy road ahead I hope he's prepared for it.......and the rest of you.

Prayers to both of you and for a road to recovery.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
with any luck this maybe what wakes him up and he gets the help he really needs.

are they going to 5150/5152 him? if not, it might not be a bad thing to bring it up.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Really great news:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup Hope he can get turned around.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I thought to update:

First I want to say, I appreciate everyone's calls, text, emails, and posts in this thread.

Yesterday evening he started coming down with pneumonia and due to his condition, by the morning he has double pneumonia, the hospital re-intubated him because his blood OX was real low and gave him three different antibiotics. The doctor and nurse both said his age is the only thing going for him.

He will now be in the hospital for at least a week, and both the doctor and nurse said due to how bad his xray looked he has a good chance of not surviving.

So in a roundabout way, he may get his wish after all.

Tough deal peeps.

Brian

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
It's a tough situation all the way around.
The 4 year old with the new Ninja Turtle bike is what will get you through anything.:thumbsup

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
My younger brother just called me and said the hospital says there is no brain function at this time.

What a shitty day in the wsuwrhr household.

My little brother.

What a heartache.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I have an older brother...and you know the rest of the story, you've lived it, just the faces and the names changed.

RIVERDAZE

Reaction score

Today is my youngests 4th birthday and she wants a Ninja turtle bike. :)

Brian

Hi Brian,
Sending Prayers your way man. So sorry to hear all the issues with your bro but don't beat yourself up. At some point in time everyone comes to forks in the road and have to make decisions. Decisions have results and consequences; some good as intended but others not good or intended. Life usually gives you more paths to correct a wrong turn but its up to them to figure it out. IT'S NOT ON YOU!

Happy Bday to your little one I bet the smile made you melt!!!!:D

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I was thinking about you while out working on the west fence, sounds like he needs our prayers even more.
He is your brother, and that is something to cherish. I hope he pulls together and is able to see the gift he has been given...
And I hope you are able to find a path towards reconciliation, once he decides that life is worth living.