WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water in the Casale V-drive

BIG MIKES

Reaction score
Ok
Running at Havasu this weekend (Yea, we didn't see the check point at the mouth of the lake and yea, blew through it at 70mph, but putted through at less then 5 mph on the way back WTF!!) started smelling gear oil after running past the sand bar. We stopped and removed the cover and it looked like and explosion of gear oil mixed with water that came out of the breather vent on the v-drive. I checked the oil and it was full or even a little low, but milky and pasty. I am using Redline shock proof gear oil. We did make it back to the dock and no unusual noises were heard from the v-drive I just did a gear change last year with a new mid plate and case half's due to water intrusion, but nothing like this. No issues last year and none the first two trips this year. I am figuring that it blew one of the gaskets between the plate and case??
My question is do I need to really run water through the Casale v-drive or do I need to slow the water flow down. It is a 1977 22ft with a blown 496 BBC with the T400 trans. I have owned the boat for more than 20 years and done countless gear changes which I have done myself with no issues. I do run this boat hard and for long distances. I send some pictures of the mess tonight. any help would be great. Thanks

BIG MIKES

Reaction score
Ok
Pressurized the water jacket to 40psi and heard no leaking in the case. Did a vacuum test to the water jacket it held 25 inches of vacuum. Here are some pictures of the aftermath. I don't understand how water got inside of the case? All the gaskets look good, the cases are new from Casale, and the mid plate is also new from Casale?? IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3242.JPG IMG_3243.JPG IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3248.JPG IMG_3247.JPG IMG_3246.JPG IMG_3245.JPG IMG_3249.JPG

overpriced hallet

Reaction score
Where is the inlet and outlet? Also size lines and is there any restrictions in outlet line over pressurizing? Definitely blowing water into the v drive. yes you have to run water if not it will get hotter then hell. Just tryin to help. Maybe case cracked in between the water jacket? Maybe you need to use a big sanding block to make sure they are completely flat.

BIG MIKES

Reaction score
I run -6 line that picks up from the bottom of the boat about a foot back from the v-drive and it exits out the prop shaft log. I put a straight edge on each of the case half's, measured in 8 points and they are perfect. Did the same with the mid plate. I would suspect if the water jacket had a fracture/crack it would have showed with 45psi. I did notice when I was removing the rear bearing caps, clear water poured out of the top one. I will check the prop shaft log to see is their are any restrictions tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Let you know what I find

Jimmy

Reaction score
Whats the operating temp on them?
We've had a heat exchange fail (unboat related) when it got to operating temp.
But pressure test on the bench cold no issues.

BIG MIKES

Reaction score
Not too hot. I put my hand on it after running hard in 110 degree weather and it was hot, but not hot enough to burn your hand.
Thanks for the input. I have made countless calls and sent pictures. Everybody I talked to is not sure what is going on.