WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

496 plug wires

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Tried doing a search on here and found nothing at all so if there's already a thread please help with a link.

Otherwise: figuring since my 496 has 200 hours and I've done a bunch of other little things clean up as well for better performance and upgrade, was looking at replacing my plug wires next, no real info other than stock Merc wires that I can find online. I know the MSD 8.8's are 380ohm a foot and the Taylor 409's are 350ohm a foot (stock is like 900ish) but also Taylor has a set for the trucks as well that are claimed as 40ohm a foot.
The 40ohm from Taylor is only available in black and I can get the 409's in blue which is preferred, but these are all considered truck wires. Anyone have any experience with using Taylor or MSD on a Merc 496 vs the stock ones? Also nice part is 100$ through summit vs 350$ from Mercruiser

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Taylor 409
79286 =red set
79086 =black set
79686 =blue set
And they are 11" long. So guess I'll have to pull the longest one when I get home and see that it'll work for length

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I only found an msd set 32079 that will fit. It is a set for ls1 to relocate the coils. The wires are all about 2 feet long at least.

Singleton

Reaction score
CP Performance used to sell a set, that is where I ordered mine from.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
200 Hours is hardly anything. Keep running them.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
I did a set from CP

Robbie at Nordic said it idles better.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Do a handful with experience with the MSD none with experience with using the Taylor's, I just in the past have found the caps on the MSD to come apart where I've luckily always had good luck with the Taylor's. So I'll have to measure and see if the 11" length with the Taylor will work or not then I guess.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Do a handful with experience with the MSD none with experience with using the Taylor's, I just in the past have found the caps on the MSD to come apart where I've luckily always had good luck with the Taylor's. So I'll have to measure and see if the 11" length with the Taylor will work or not then I guess.

11 inch is even close.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I did a set from CP

Robbie at Nordic said it idles better.

I bet he changed the plugs at the same time. The first set of TR5IX's I threw in it was night and day over the platinum Delco's.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
I bet he changed the plugs at the same time. The first set of TR5IX's I threw in it was night and day over the platinum Delco's.

Did the plugs and wires in the off season, he was just making a comment when I told him I didn't know if it was worth it.

For the money of merc wires why not

BajaMike

Reaction score
If it runs good, don't mess with the wires. If you change them be sure to get the firing order correct.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Lol yea one cool per wire sure hope i don't screw that up!!!

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Don't get held up on wire resistance it has almost nothing to do with spark performance. EFI motors need more shielding to prevent mis/cross fires. As mentioned Firecore are hands down the best wire made for any app but remember wires don't add horsepower any performance gained or felt is by eliminating loss or interference. MSD wires have been no bueno for me and many others Taylor's are good

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Don't get held up on wire resistance it has almost nothing to do with spark performance. EFI motors need more shielding to prevent mis/cross fires. As mentioned Firecore are hands down the best wire made for any app but remember wires don't add horsepower any performance gained or felt is by eliminating loss or interference. MSD wires have been no bueno for me and many others Taylor's are good

Yea I had "nothing" but troubles with the msd wires on my LS motor in my offroad car, went to the 409's three years later still not a single issue.

Lavey 29

Reaction score

I will agree about firecore and throw in the mix magnacore wires as well. That is correct about resistance per ft means nothing as what to buy. That is marketing BS about one needs wires of lowest resistance. Actually its the other way around.

If anyone needs the exact spark plug wire sets for Merc 496 replacement as what they use - I have brand new sets with the wire separators already installed on them ---- shipped to your door for 140 bucks. Merc wants about 650 bucks for the exact set of 8 spark plug wires. Again I have the separators already installed on the wires as well and all brand new.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I like your pricing. I've read this whole thread and I'm a little confused. I agree that I will probably mess up the old wires taking them off - I'm pretty sure mine are original. 2004, but it's running fine, tachs right to 5,100, so do I mess with it, or wait??? Is that to SC or am I in for freight???