WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

'89 Carrera

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Sooooooooo, I've had a wounded boat for the last 3 seasons or so. The motor lost one lobe on the camshaft causing the rocker to come out of adjustment and make all kinds of noise. I first thought it was an exhaust leak and had the exhaust manifolds re-surfaced only to still have a "tick". The boat is home finally and I'm pulling the motor today IMG_20170729_122138.jpg

Hopefully in the next few coming weeks I'll find out why the cam failed and figure out what all is inside this motor. With a little luck I'll be on the water by Labor Day 👍👍

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
You can use my A frame to pull it out .

But only if you PROMISE to work on your Hondo Flat as soon as this deal is back on the water ......... HA HA

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
You can use my A frame to pull it out .

But only if you PROMISE to work on your Hondo Flat as soon as this deal is back on the water ......... HA HA
I got it out with my cherry picker and the floor jack under the trailer tongue 👍👍

Still a little scary to hang a full dressed BBC that high in the air!!!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Well, got the motor down to a short block today with a little help from a buddy that brought over his balancer puller. Everything looks really good. Found out that it was actually a hydraulic cam and not a solid. This kinda changes my theory on why the cam failed. At any rate, it's all in the trash can, only one lifter and one lobe on the cam were bad. My buddy said that I must have caught it pretty early cause it didn't look destroyed.

On to the bottom end, everything looks great and brand new. I know the motor had been gone through 2x by the previous owner but never knew the extent of the building/rebuilds. It has a full Scat rotating assembly. Also it's a 4 bolt main block. Pistons look like speedpro cast pistons, not bad, but could be better. Cylinder walls look good, .030 over and all the cross hatch marks are still visible.

I have a week off of work in a week so I'll probably get it down to the machine shop then and hopefully get it reassembled then. I know it needs cam and lifters, rings and bearings, and probably a fresh oil pump. Maybe a fresh hone on the cylinders. I'll try to post up some pictures tonight, they'll be kinda anticlimactic though as there wasn't much carnage, thankfully!!!!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Check out the bad lifter!!!! IMG_20170806_142506.jpg

It doesn't look too bad till you set it side by side with a good one. Yikes!!!! IMG_20170806_140847637.jpg

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Cam. I'd like to find out what the specs were. I'm gonna plug the numbers into the Google machine and see what pops up.
IMG_20170806_144822650.jpg IMG_20170806_144830866.jpg IMG_20170806_144840260_HDR.jpg IMG_20170806_144933637.jpg

blue2184

Reaction score
Check out the bad lifter!!!! View attachment 578532

It doesn't look too bad till you set it side by side with a good one. Yikes!!!! View attachment 578533

I would not thank their was any chance in hell that was the same lifter? We're the pushrods the same length? Seems like the whole bottom of that thing would have been opened up? Seems like their would be hole in the bottom of a lifter with that much gone? Maybe it's just the pic...

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I would not thank their was any chance in hell that was the same lifter? We're the pushrods the same length? Seems like the whole bottom of that thing would have been opened up? Seems like their would be hole in the bottom of a lifter with that much gone? Maybe it's just the pic...
Nope, there really is an 1/8" of material missing from that lifter.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Got all the parts dropped off at the machine shop today. Next week I should be assembling a short block and measuring for push rods as long as the heads get done this week. If not, the shop is closed the same week that I have off of work. Oh well! Looks like Labor Day weekend will be doable for sure 👍 👍

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Stopped by the shoop today, should be picking up some of the parts by wed. We talked about cams and think we a solid choice from Comp, that should be ordered shortly. About all that is left is assembly and then measure for push rods :thumbup: :thumbup: Looks like Labor Day may happen!

Reactions: t&y

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Well, I'm looking for a head. One of mine is cracked in 3 different places around the seat. Sooo anyone have a good 049 laying around??? I'll probably run out of time now even though parts are ordered and some are now picked up.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I have a pair of these 343772 large oval port HD truck heads .

Same sized valves as 049's, and I think these started out around 124 CC chambers, may have some surface cut off . (around 120?)

They need a rebuild, and you could surface them to get your compression up to what you want .

If you can't find anything else, take them to the machine shop, see what they say about um' ...........

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I have a pair of these 343772 large oval port HD truck heads .

Same sized valves as 049's, and I think these started out around 124 CC chambers, may have some surface cut off . (around 120?)

They need a rebuild, and you could surface them to get your compression up to what you want .

If you can't find anything else, take them to the machine shop, see what they say about um' ...........
Will call tomorrow afternoon. Thanks George!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Well, I found some motivation this morning and went to set the crank in only to find out that #3 main journal is way too tight. Ugh, engine assymbly is soo much fun!!!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
How's it coming along Warpt? Don't leave us hangin...:D

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
How's it coming along Warpt? Don't leave us hangin...:D
I have had ZERO motivation lately. I actually did some cleaning in the garage and most everything for assembly got put away. Im going to try and take a couple of weeks off of work in Feb and use that time to focus on finishing it I think, we'll see lol

Besides, its just a jet boat motor, nothing too exciting :D :D :D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Everytime we go Havasu my kids ask about this boat. Wish I were closer, I'd help you out. Get that thing back on the water and I'll buy you a few sodas this summer.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I tried 2 sets of bearings and this SOB was still tight! It went back to the machine shop yesterday and got double checked and line honed. Crank also got another polish. Crank is going in this morning and hopefully rods in the cylinders this afternoon. Progress finally [emoji106][emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
I have a short block assembled
IMG_20180228_143104972.jpg

IMG_20180228_143155287.jpg

IMG_20180228_143204970.jpg

IMG_20180228_143248741.jpg

I'll spare the details until I have this thing running, but it has not been easy and everything that I have touched up to this point has had to be remachined for proper clearances.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Heads went on last night, cam went in today. Still need to measure for push rods and sort out a rocker arms issue. It's moving, but at a snail's pace. It is a jetboat after all lol!!!

wzuber

Reaction score
the light is visible at the end of the tunnel and it's getting done correctly, good job. It will all be worth it in the end when you light it off and it runs very well. Good times are just around the corner.

wzuber

Reaction score
by the way... what oil system and filter you running? With that much material off that lobe and no trashed piston skirts, bearings, crank etc. it must be a pretty good one. I'm guessing not a Fram? haha

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Small update: I work slow and on a small budget. 4am alarms and 2 littlel ones (2 & almost 5) with us at home eats up my evenings pretty fast. I was able to savesome money and got push rods ordered last week and then bought new rockers and sold my old set. I did some garage cleaning and re organized for final assembly. I was hoping for this weekend to be on the water but I don't want to rush it at this point. New goal should be Father's day weekend as I'm busy the next 2 then free for a couple again. The last real unknown for me is this roller cam and it's cam button, I've just never done one. I'm certain it's a simple deal though.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
the light is visible at the end of the tunnel and it's getting done correctly, good job. It will all be worth it in the end when you light it off and it runs very well. Good times are just around the corner.
by the way... what oil system and filter you running? With that much material off that lobe and no trashed piston skirts, bearings, crank etc. it must be a pretty good one. I'm guessing not a Fram? haha

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, done correctly, more than I can say for the last builder. I was running a wix filter and Valvoline VR-1 like I always do .I had done one oil change on the motor after I used it for my first season. Bearings really didn't look bad, that's why we never thought that this rebuild would turn into a full build, it didn't have any bottom end failure, go figure!!!! It would have thought, it was just a matter of time.

wzuber

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how many stories there are out there of supposed "good, reputable" engine builders out there producing junk engine builds, mind boggling at times. I understand nobodys perfect and parts can be unknowingly bad and all but guud gawd. haha
I admire your tenacity to get'r going again and (I assume) learning to how to build your own engines in the process as well. No bottom end failure was a good thing (call me cap't obvious) saved some coin. I'm curious to know, when you disassembled the motor did you measure the crank, bearings clearances etc. or just pull it down and proceed to repair/rebuild? At least when it's all said and done it will be right and provide a good deal satisfaction to you every time you hit key, throttle etc. I look forward to seeing the results as I'm sure you do too. I would imagine you are pretty excited to light it off. Will it be on a dyno or in the boat when the time comes?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Just a quick word, I took this week off of work again for numerous reasons, mainly to wrap this project up! I'm waiting for kids to go to bed then I'll get back out into the garage, tonight's goals are to get the balancer on, lifters, pushrods and rockers in and adjusted and then fill it up with oil and prime it. Tomorrow I'll set the intake on and hoist it into the boat. Thursday will be fire up day and break in. Possibly boating Friday, if not then Saturday and Sunday.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how many stories there are out there of supposed "good, reputable" engine builders out there producing junk engine builds, mind boggling at times. I understand nobodys perfect and parts can be unknowingly bad and all but guud gawd. haha
I admire your tenacity to get'r going again and (I assume) learning to how to build your own engines in the process as well. No bottom end failure was a good thing (call me cap't obvious) saved some coin. I'm curious to know, when you disassembled the motor did you measure the crank, bearings clearances etc. or just pull it down and proceed to repair/rebuild? At least when it's all said and done it will be right and provide a good deal satisfaction to you every time you hit key, throttle etc. I look forward to seeing the results as I'm sure you do too. I would imagine you are pretty excited to light it off. Will it be on a dyno or in the boat when the time comes?

Yeah, amazing what a "shop" turned out! I thankfully have no relationship with them so I'm not too bent about it. I never measured the crank because it looked ok. Obviously it wasn't cause it wouldn't reassemble without additional machining. Also it was the crank and rods that needed the extra, not the block.

No dyno, it's just a cruiser motor with good parts to last many years. Can't wait to float and have a cold one in my boat again

Thanks for following along

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Just a quick word, I took this week off of work again for numerous reasons, mainly to wrap this project up! I'm waiting for kids to go to bed then I'll get back out into the garage, tonight's goals are to get the balancer on, lifters, pushrods and rockers in and adjusted and then fill it up with oil and prime it. Tomorrow I'll set the intake on and hoist it into the boat. Thursday will be fire up day and break in. Possibly boating Friday, if not then Saturday and Sunday.
nice....lookin forward to the positive results of that live rumble. Have a great fathers day weekend.

wzuber

Reaction score
Thanks for following along
I enjoy reading and learning what I can from others builds, efforts etc. as I'm jafo for now. Some day soon I hope to get in the game and challenge myself to build one, then some if all goes well. Thanks for sharing your build and experiences.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Well, the motor is off the stand and hooked up to the cherry picker. It got too hot in the garage and I decided to take a break. I'll pick back up on it after dinner. Drop it in the boat, hang the exhaust and hook up the plumbing and wiring. Fresh batteries and fuel and it should fire tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed please!

wzuber

Reaction score
Well, the motor is off the stand and hooked up to the cherry picker. It got too hot in the garage and I decided to take a break. I'll pick back up on it after dinner. Drop it in the boat, hang the exhaust and hook up the plumbing and wiring. Fresh batteries and fuel and it should fire tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed please!
nice...it's getting exciting now. Fingers crossed for good juju. I'm sure it will work out well and be a whole buncha hell ya!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Success!!! All the planning and double checking payed off. Motor lit as soon as the carb bowls filled with fuel. One small fuel leak (retightened a hose clamp) and a small dribble from the valve cover. I'm beyond excited and releived. We're headed to Blythe tomorrow morning, I'll try and update with a few pics.

Big thanks to my buddies George, Dean, Lance, Nick and my dad. It feels really good to see this project through to completion :D

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Success!!! All the planning and double checking payed off. Motor lit as soon as the carb bowls filled with fuel. One small fuel leak (retightened a hose clamp) and a small dribble from the valve cover. I'm beyond excited and releived. We're headed to Blythe tomorrow morning, I'll try and update with a few pics.

Big thanks to my buddies George, Dean, Lance, Nick and my dad. It feels really good to see this project through to completion :D

Great job, Warpt. I never get tired of those first few seconds of success.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Are you going to be at Lost Lake this weekend or going down to the jet boat deal in Blythe?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Are you going to be at Lost Lake this weekend or going down to the jet boat deal in Blythe?

At LL. It's just too easy having a place there; refrigerators, ice maker and central AC lol golf cart and plenty of parking.

wzuber

Reaction score

badass man that's awesome. Now you can go mix it up on the strip and celebrate with a good cold frosty one @ foxes and the others. Hell ya! Congrats dude.

edit..just read your other replies and see you roll the lower river, cool. As RR said if ya venture up river just beyond Rio Del Sol and want a place to land for a spell stop in @ the dirt palace, I'll buy ya some cold ones. My place is the fugly little place with the big lot & lagoon next to the beautiful log cabin lookin place just up from RDS. RR you know you and yours are always welcome too.

Last edited:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have been to Cole beach/Wally beach before, in someone else's boat lol. Also have ridden my standup from LL to the dam and back. If I get adventurous I'll keep my eyes peeled

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
badass man that's awesome. Now you can go mix it up on the strip and celebrate with a good cold frosty one @ foxes and the others. Hell ya! Congrats dude.

edit..just read your other replies and see you roll the lower river, cool. As RR said if ya venture up river just beyond Rio Del Sol and want a place to land for a spell stop in @ the dirt palace, I'll buy ya some cold ones. My place is the fugly little place with the big lot & lagoon next to the beautiful log cabin lookin place just up from RDS. RR you know you and yours are always welcome too.

I’ll have the Bitz out this weekend. I’ll swing by.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Awesome. Good to see the boat back in the water. Now we need pics or video as proof!

wzuber

Reaction score

I’ll have the Bitz out this weekend. I’ll swing by.

cool, I keep an eye out for ya'alls.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Here ya go guys! It's been a good weekend boat wise, should be heading out after breakfast here
IMG_20180615_121157325_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180615_121226541.jpg
IMG_20180615_162603150_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180615_191333108_HDR.jpg