WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Custom fabricated 496 risers/tails

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Has anyone built their own stainless risers and tails for the stock Merc 496 manifold exhaust?
I am mainly looking for bling factor under the hatch. I know that spending $3k won't give me much felt benefit for the money, so I am looking to build custom risers, that continue down through the s-pipe, and to the tips. Because of the large drop s-pipe, I really only "need" to build it Jacketed to around the 1st bend past the main riser, as the factory ones are. But I would like to double wall jacket them to past the turn down in the tailpipe.
If you've got any experience or tips on doing this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am a great TIG welder, especially on stainless, and have built plenty of exhaust systems before, just never the water jacketed setup.
Here is my setup now, as well as some other SS tails I have done.
Maybe I should just "add" onto he existing risers with 4" stainless tube/elbows and utilize the existing water jacket setup, so it looks like full one piece exhaust, and then polish them, or have the jet hot coated

IMG_0284.jpg IMG_9253.jpg IMG_3457.jpg

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Just wire wheel all the paint off then polish what you have, they are stainless so should polish up real nice and pretty.

Reaction score
WP_20170706_003.jpg
WP_20170723_005.jpg

I stripped and polished my risers several years ago in my garage and last Summer I stripped and powdercoated my manifolds and new water rails (bought a cheap Harbor Freight kit & CAREFULLY baked the items in my oven after lining the oven with aluminum foil).

I am going to slowly powdercoat EVERYTHING white and will end up painting everything white when I get around to pulling the motors out to refresh them. I realize that it will get dirty easier but, I want to SEE if something is leaking.

Last edited: