WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My New to me Hallett 340:)

Holymoses

Reaction score
So I always loved the Classic Design fit and Finish of Hallett boats from the time I came across a few on Lake Mead to my first ride in my buddies 300 Closed Bow. So when I had the opportunity to purchase a 340 I jumped all over it. My fear was I couldn't really find any reviews that offered any feedback on design, specs, ride quality ect. Well that was until I jumped on RDP and read the only review I could find on a 340 Model:). Already having purchased the boat without running it I felt a little better about the deal. So as promised here is my first review from this past weekend running on Mead. Let's start with Towing down to the ramp. This boat is heavy, real heavy. Tow rig is a Ford Ranger jk F350 CCLB Diesel with Air Bags:) It feels heavier than my 40ft Weekend Warrior behind the truck. From what I could find online showed 7900lbs that has to be on the light side. The trailer is set up with electric over hydraulic brakes so a bonus stopping this beast. Once on the ramp was getting plenty of attention compliments and an offer if it was for sale:) So far so good! The boat is running 500efis Blue Motors Bravo Drives and Mirage 26p 4 blades. Friday was hot and breezy so a little chop nothing too crazy but much better than calm glassy water. She came right up on plain with Tabs down, suprisingly fast. Raised tabs to 3 on indicator so almost all the way up, drives only trimmed to 3. Instantly was reminded how solid Halletts are made. This is where heavy is good:). I cruised across the lake at 48mph on my s gps off my phone. Speedo read 50mph, RPMs 3400. Boat can really corner for a big boat. Felt very stable with hard turns in either direction. Was burning off a mix of old and new fuel so never pushed for a top speed run. Overall I'm very happy with the performance fit and finish. Cabin is spacious with pumpout head, two cabin sinks and built in Ice chest, Nor Cold Fridge and bonus Side Door which is the only way to go on big closed bow boats. I will continue to post more pics comments as I get more familiar with her. I'd say first time out was a success!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6211.jpg
    IMG_6211.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_6208.jpg
    IMG_6208.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_6214.jpg
    IMG_6214.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_6215.jpg
    IMG_6215.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 813

Runs2rch

Reaction score
7900 is dry weight. 34 holds 200 or 210 for fuel if I remember right. Plus whatever gear you have.

If you liked your buddies 30 the 34 is even better.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Only feels big on the trailer. Once in the water it is perfect.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
So I always loved the Classic Design fit and Finish of Hallett boats from the time I came across a few on Lake Mead to my first ride in my buddies 300 Closed Bow. So when I had the opportunity to purchase a 340 I jumped all over it. My fear was I couldn't really find any reviews that offered any feedback on design, specs, ride quality ect. Well that was until I jumped on RDP and read the only review I could find on a 340 Model:). Already having purchased the boat without running it I felt a little better about the deal. So as promised here is my first review from this past weekend running on Mead. Let's start with Towing down to the ramp. This boat is heavy, real heavy. Tow rig is a Ford Ranger jk F350 CCLB Diesel with Air Bags:) It feels heavier than my 40ft Weekend Warrior behind the truck. From what I could find online showed 7900lbs that has to be on the light side. The trailer is set up with electric over hydraulic brakes so a bonus stopping this beast. Once on the ramp was getting plenty of attention compliments and an offer if it was for sale:) So far so good! The boat is running 500efis Blue Motors Bravo Drives and Mirage 26p 4 blades. Friday was hot and breezy so a little chop nothing too crazy but much better than calm glassy water. She came right up on plain with Tabs down, suprisingly fast. Raised tabs to 3 on indicator so almost all the way up, drives only trimmed to 3. Instantly was reminded how solid Halletts are made. This is where heavy is good:). I cruised across the lake at 48mph on my s gps off my phone. Speedo read 50mph, RPMs 3400. Boat can really corner for a big boat. Felt very stable with hard turns in either direction. Was burning off a mix of old and new fuel so never pushed for a top speed run. Overall I'm very happy with the performance fit and finish. Cabin is spacious with pumpout head, two cabin sinks and built in Ice chest, Nor Cold Fridge and bonus Side Door which is the only way to go on big closed bow boats. I will continue to post more pics comments as I get more familiar with her. I'd say first time out was a success!!!
Congrats on the purchase looks great, Hallett makes a nice boat, my first flat was a hallet and always liked their boats came close to getting a 27, but ended up with fountain instead, that boat looks perfect for what you want enjoy:thumbsup

Holymoses

Reaction score
7900 is dry weight. 34 holds 200 or 210 for fuel if I remember right. Plus whatever gear you have.

If you liked your buddies 30 the 34 is even better.
Yea seems very solid and love it so far. thanks for the specs I thought maybe the fuel capacity was inline with the new 33.5 but that's 175gal.

Holymoses

Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase looks great, Hallett makes a nice boat, my first flat was a hallet and always liked their boats came close to getting a 27, but ended up with fountain instead, that boat looks perfect for what you want enjoy:thumbsup
Thank you! I looked at a couple 42's but kept telling myself think Lakes and Happy wife:)

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I could never figure out what the door is for. :headscratch:

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Very Nice, congratulations on the Purchase. My friends have a 34 and the ride is 2nd to none, he (LakeMead Boater) should be along shortly to give specifics.

Love the Door :thumbsup

I could never figure out what the door is for. :headscratch:

To get in and out of the boat when the boat is beached, plus its also handy for loading items when the boat is on the trailer.

When the boat is beached there are only 2 options to get on and off: Bow or Stern...

The bow is about 5' high, and even with a step ladder it can still be bit tough to muscle up on-to. You then still have to transverse windshield and get yourself down into the cockpit. At least when your getting off the boat via the bow you can sit on the edge and let your legs dangle to lessen the drop.

Stern is pretty self explanatory, you get wet and swim :D

Holymoses

Reaction score
Very Nice, congratulations on the Purchase. My friends have a 34 and the ride is 2nd to none, he (LakeMead Boater) should be along shortly to give specifics. Thank you, Would love to Run into him, another 340 and get some knowledge. Yea jumping up on the bow is a no go from the beach or the water. Although it does have a low profile for such a big boat. Found out the Bud Bailey was the designer on the 270 and 340 hull. He designed the Spectra Boats back in the day. Lives in Boulder City so would love to grab a drink and hear his stories:)

Love the Door :thumbsup

To get in and out of the boat when the boat is beached, plus its also handy for loading items when the boat is on the trailer.

When the boat is beached there are only 2 options to get on and off: Bow or Stern...

The bow is about 5' high, and even with a step ladder it can still be bit tough to muscle up on-to. You then still have to transverse windshield and get yourself down into the cockpit. At least when your getting off the boat via the bow you can sit on the edge and let your legs dangle to lessen the drop.

Stern is pretty self explanatory, you get wet and swim :D
Thank you, Would love to Run into him, another 340 and get some knowledge. Yea jumping up on the bow is a no go from the beach or the water. Although it does have a low profile for such a big boat. Found out the Bud Bailey was the designer on the 270 and 340 hull. He designed the Spectra Boats back in the day. Lives in Boulder City so would love to grab a drink and hear his stories:)

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Thank you, Would love to Run into him, another 340 and get some knowledge. Yea jumping up on the bow is a no go from the beach or the water. Although it does have a low profile for such a big boat. Found out the Bud Bailey was the designer on the 270 and 340 hull. He designed the Spectra Boats back in the day. Lives in Boulder City so would love to grab a drink and hear his stories:)

Pre '86 the OG 270-T and 34 were built by Silverwing. There are a few of them out there all twin engines, the 27's SBC powered with either pre-Alphas or Volvos, while the 34's all had 454/TRS. Or at least the one's I've seen.

1987 and later, the 27, 32 (Spectra with a redesigned deck), and 34 were all Halletts.

If you didn't already know, the 32' is 6" narrower in the bean compared to the 27 & 34. 96" vs 102". I cannot recall how old Bud Bailey is, but he has to be getting up their in age, but if you do happen to have a drink with him, be sure to thank him for designing the 32' Spectra first, because otherwise the 34' wouldn't be what it is :champagne:

DWC

Reaction score
Great review and beautiful boat. Congrats on the purchase.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Oh man, congrats! We've parked next to this boat multiple times at Long Beach and it's beautiful! You did it right with putting the boat on plane as it really reduces the stress on the drives. As for the door, we'll probably be cutting one in ours in the next year or two.

We always boat at Mead and stay at El Rancho. If you see us out there, feel free to stop by for a beer!

Holymoses

Reaction score
Pre '86 the OG 270-T and 34 were built by Silverwing. There are a few of them out there all twin engines, the 27's SBC powered with either pre-Alphas or Volvos, while the 34's all had 454/TRS. Or at least the one's I've seen.

1987 and later, the 27, 32 (Spectra with a redesigned deck), and 34 were all Halletts.

If you didn't already know, the 32' is 6" narrower in the bean compared to the 27 & 34. 96" vs 102". I cannot recall how old Bud Bailey is, but he has to be getting up their in age, but if you do happen to have a drink with him, be sure to thank him for designing the 32' Spectra first, because otherwise the 34' wouldn't be what it is :champagne:
Great info:) thanks for sharing! I was told by a gentleman at Hallett that Bud was still around. Said His design on the 340 to this day is one of the best straight bottoms out there. I was looking at a 270 with twins but just thought the 340 would be better on Mead and for long weekends.

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
Nice boat. Do you plan on staying on it overnight?

JD D05

Reaction score
Great boat! I have a similar sized boat myself. mine is 7800 without motors & drives so that may be how your boat is also...

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Oh man, congrats! We've parked next to this boat multiple times at Long Beach and it's beautiful! You did it right with putting the boat on plane as it really reduces the stress on the drives. As for the door, we'll probably be cutting one in ours in the next year or two.

We always boat at Mead and stay at El Rancho. If you see us out there, feel free to stop by for a beer!

Brandon are you guys storing the boat? Ran into a cop a few weeks back. She said there is a ring of thieves targeting boats in boulder. They caught a few lifting props at the Rancho.

The sissy door is nice, but I still like the boat without it.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Great info:) thanks for sharing! I was told by a gentleman at Hallett that Bud was still around. Said His design on the 340 to this day is one of the best straight bottoms out there. I was looking at a 270 with twins but just thought the 340 would be better on Mead and for long weekends.

I grew up boating with Bud. He always brought out the plug boats. Nicest most genuine guy you will ever get to be around.

Even as a punk kid he would chat what if boat designs and mad hp for hours.

Yes Bud was involved with Campbell, Spectra, Silverwing and then Hallett. We just sold our 89 270T that Bud did. I remember visiting the shop and he would be in the boat smoking and working. Pissed Nick off so much he offered him a huge bonus to quit.

I have been around and worked on many of these boats my entire life. What specific questions do you have?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Also the 32 was sliced and diced up along time ago. Bummer. Always liked the 32.

The 26 EXP is one I can't stand.

Holymoses

Reaction score

Nice and good to know! Will defiantly stop by and introduce myself!

Holymoses

Reaction score
Nice boat. Do you plan on staying on it overnight?

Thanks Frogman! Yea my boy and I spent the night last Friday night after our shake down went back out Saturday. Plenty of room just a little warm this time of year:)

Holymoses

Reaction score
Great boat! I have a similar sized boat myself. mine is 7800 without motors & drives so that may be how your boat is also...

Thx JD! Yea could be it feels heavier than my 36OL and that was a big boat too.

Holymoses

Reaction score
I grew up boating with Bud. He always brought out the plug boats. Nicest most genuine guy you will ever get to be around.

Even as a punk kid he would chat what if boat designs and mad hp for hours.

Yes Bud was involved with Campbell, Spectra, Silverwing and then Hallett. We just sold our 89 270T that Bud did. I remember visiting the shop and he would be in the boat smoking and working. Pissed Nick off so much he offered him a huge bonus to quit.

I have been around and worked on many of these boats my entire life. What specific questions do you have?

Looks like his passion has helped build the scene. What were some production numbers on the 340, how different are the later boats from the earlier models and when did Hallett stop making a 340? Here's a strange one, how do you know when to pump out the shitter😁 Don't plan on using it much but I'm not sure if it was done recently or procedure.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Great boat! We love our Hallett 300. Like your colors too but I might be a little biased. LOL.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Looks like his passion has helped build the scene. What were some production numbers on the 340, how different are the later boats from the earlier models and when did Hallett stop making a 340? Here's a strange one, how do you know when to pump out the shitter Don't plan on using it much but I'm not sure if it was done recently or procedure.

Yes Bud was very influential to the west coast custom boat scene. Jerry still has the mold and will build a 34. Everything is the same hull and deck wise. Modern updates just like any boat. It's not like the 27 where in the early 90's they changed the deck and transom.

I talked to the guy you bought the boat from a few months back. He said it was clean. Is the pump out hose on the starboard gunnel?

I bet total made is probably around 20 or so. Jerry or Jim could def answer that.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Hey HolyMoses, in regards to the weight, the boat weighs 12,800 on the trailer (we have the same engines, just carb'd) with 100 gallons of fuel (it holds 150), 10 gallons of water, and a few misc items in the galley. It's a heavy boat and we still feel it behind a 3500 dually!

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Brandon are you guys storing the boat? Ran into a cop a few weeks back. She said there is a ring of thieves targeting boats in boulder. They caught a few lifting props at the Rancho.

The sissy door is nice, but I still like the boat without it.

Yea we are and it's locked up in-doors. I'll let my old man know about the thieves at El Rancho. You guys going out soon?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yea we are and it's locked up in-doors. I'll let my old man know about the thieves at El Rancho. You guys going out soon?

You need to fill it. Fuel is 200. Figure trailer is 3k ish. 9800 with fuel and gear is about right.

Going out next weekend. My brother in laws bachelor party. Going to camp in or around swallow bay.

Have been dragging the 33 to and from the ramp with a new 1500 Silverado. Pulls it just fine. I wouldn't drag it all the way home with it though.

What storage are you at?

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
... how do you know when to pump out the shitter Don't plan on using it much but I'm not sure if it was done recently or procedure.

LOL

So my question, is it a Port-Potty with a deck fitting or a Marine Toilet with Holding Tank? Both can be pumped out the same way, but the P/P will need to be emptied soon than a holding tank.

Newer P/Ps have a litter indicator float, on the unit itself to let you know when they're full. If you have a holding tank it should have a gauge, if you cannot find it, find the holding tank, and do a visual inspection, you might need a flashlight. That's how I check holding tank on my 30' Sea Ray is about 20 gallons and has no gauge.

You never want to let them get to 100% capacity, and the fullest mine has gotten was about 80 :grumble: I always empty it on the way home before I get to the dock. My advice would be to do the same.

Since you have a toy hauler, you probably already know that you do not want to let anything sit in the tank for long periods of time, especially in the heat :puke: And that RV/Marine TP only.

After I do the initial pump out, I fill the tank with water via the deck fitting, and once about full, pump it out again. Depending on how many people are waiting in line to use the pump-out dock typically refill twice with water.

hallett21

Reaction score
Runs2rich.

Is the 340 the same bottom as the 360? Just new top?

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Runs2rich.

I'm almost certain they are two different bottoms. The 360 had some major initial issues and came out as a step bottom. The 340 has always been a straight bottom.

Holymoses

Reaction score
Yes Bud was very influential to the west coast custom boat scene. Jerry still has the mold and will build a 34. Everything is the same hull and deck wise. Modern updates just like any boat. It's not like the 27 where in the early 90's they changed the deck and transom.

I talked to the guy you bought the boat from a few months back. He said it was clean. Is the pump out hose on the starboard gunnel?

I bet total made is probably around 20 or so. Jerry or Jim could def answer that.

Yea it's in the Starboard side. Fresh water fill is Portside. It has two sinks one on Port side and one in Bathroom. Was wondering if they are on the same tank. That's pretty sweet if those are the numbers:) Im having Hallett send me the new vinyl Logos for the Boat and Trailer. The ones that look chrome and 3 dimensional. Mine are faded yellow outlined in Purple. Just that will freshen it up a little. Wanted to see if they could find the option sheet or build on this boat too.

Holymoses

Reaction score
Hey HolyMoses, in regards to the weight, the boat weighs 12,800 on the trailer (we have the same engines, just carb'd) with 100 gallons of fuel (it holds 150), 10 gallons of water, and a few misc items in the galley. It's a heavy boat and we still feel it behind a 3500 dually!

Love the red on your boat! Thx for that info I tow a lot of shit and when I heard 7900lb I was like no way:) that would feel like nothing behind my F350. Your numbers make sense now:) Hitting Big River this weekend with my family from Ca. But hope to be on Mead the rest of the year often. We do the jetboat thing down there.

Holymoses

Reaction score
LOL

So my question, is it a Port-Potty with a deck fitting or a Marine Toilet with Holding Tank? Both can be pumped out the same way, but the P/P will need to be emptied soon than a holding tank.

Newer P/Ps have a litter indicator float, on the unit itself to let you know when they're full. If you have a holding tank it should have a gauge, if you cannot find it, find the holding tank, and do a visual inspection, you might need a flashlight. That's how I check holding tank on my 30' Sea Ray is about 20 gallons and has no gauge.

You never want to let them get to 100% capacity, and the fullest mine has gotten was about 80 :grumble: I always empty it on the way home before I get to the dock. My advice would be to do the same.

Since you have a toy hauler, you probably already know that you do not want to let anything sit in the tank for long periods of time, especially in the heat :puke: And that RV/Marine TP only.

After I do the initial pump out, I fill the tank with water via the deck fitting, and once about full, pump it out again. Depending on how many people are waiting in line to use the pump-out dock typically refill twice with water.

Thank you for that! It has two buttons on the vanity side of counter. Ones Red Flush button the other is a black switch to fill with fresh water. I'll look for a gauge too.

hallett21

Reaction score
I'm almost certain they are two different bottoms. The 360 had some major initial issues and came out as a step bottom. The 340 has always been a straight bottom.

Always curious about the lineage of Halletts. Love hearing how each hull came to be. For better or worse. Still love talking to people about the 270 Cat and F2. Both solid boats that just never worked out for them.

Btw OP congrats on the new boat. [emoji1303]

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Runs2rich.

34 has always been the same. Conventional Vee. No changes made to the actual hull or deck ever.

The 36 was a twin step. Had a few inherent handling flaws. Then some legal issues that made it go away.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Yea it's in the Starboard side. Fresh water fill is Portside. It has two sinks one on Port side and one in Bathroom. Was wondering if they are on the same tank. That's pretty sweet if those are the numbers:) Im having Hallett send me the new vinyl Logos for the Boat and Trailer. The ones that look chrome and 3 dimensional. Mine are faded yellow outlined in Purple. Just that will freshen it up a little. Wanted to see if they could find the option sheet or build on this boat too.

The raised decals are the way to go for sure.

The freshwater is probably 10-15 and the holding tank is 15 I think.

Holymoses

Reaction score
Getting out every weekend and this past weekend the weather and overnight temps were perfect! Boat runs strong and handles very nice. Can bring the trim tabs all the way up drives set at 3-4 and just silky smooth across the Lake. 500efis seem to be running well and can take this 340 over 70mph on my GPS easily. Pretty happy with that for such a solid boat. Add my updated Hallet Logos and ran into some fellow Hallett owners on Mead. They shared so great pics so thought I'd share:)

Attachments

• IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_6546.jpg
    IMG_6546.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_6549.jpg
    IMG_6549.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 484
Reactions: DWC

Holymoses

Reaction score
Getting out every weekend and this past weekend the weather and overnight temps were perfect! Boat runs strong and handles very nice. Can bring the trim tabs all the way up drives set at 3-4 and just silky smooth across the Lake. 500efis seem to be running well and can take this 340 over 70mph on my GPS easily. Pretty happy with that for such a solid boat. Add my updated Hallet Logos and ran into some fellow Hallett owners on Mead. They shared so great pics so thought I'd share:)

Couple more shots

Attachments

• IMG_6547.jpg
    IMG_6547.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_6544.jpg
    IMG_6544.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 451
Reactions: DWC

Holymoses

Reaction score
2018 Desert Storm was the first time out this year and the weather was perfect! Spent some time running up and down the river with many boats doing the same:) I can’t say enough about the versatility of the side door when parked on the channel. There were some badass boats passing and there crew would always point at the side of our boat:) Even with all the other boats this thing is a tank through the chop. Looking forward to Mead this Sunday! If anyone is headed out post up!

JD D05

Reaction score
I saw you parked in the channel when I was just walking around on Sat. I did notice the door also.