WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ski pylon go-pro mount

lbhsbz

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is involved in the Catalina ski Race...he wants to mount 4 go-pros to the pylon...

Him: I need a camera mount
me: no prob
Him: when?
Me: 2 days
him: ....and don't make it redneck!

Well shit, there went the angle iron and muffler clamp idea.

Found a suitable piece of scrapbinium and chucked it in the lathe...it already had a pilot hole, so I went right for the big drill. 1 5/8"

IMG_1988.jpg

Then I bored it to a finished size of 1 3/4" and threw it in the mill to drill some holes and chop it in half. Yes, that's a circular saw blade from harbor freight...works great on aluminum.

IMG_1989.jpg

I decided every simple way to mount the plate was janky, so I decided no visible fasteners. My TIG doesn't have the balls for material this thick...so it had to be bolts. I cut a slot

IMG_1990.jpg

Hid the screws in the seem

IMG_1991.jpg

Finished product

lbhsbz

Reaction score
IMG_1992.jpg

He's using the sticky mounts, so he wanted just a flat surface.

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Looks like a nice finished product! that might also work great on a roll bar boat tower! :thumbsup:thumbsup

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
That's cool!

Ask him if he plans to attach some sort of lanyard to them. (He may want a couple holes drilled) They often choose to do their own thing in race conditions... ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Just some thoughts.. did you make the final ID actually 1.750? If so when you clamp the assemblies together the inside edges might dig into the pole. It's better to make the ID slightly oversized so that when it bolts together it's grabbing on the cusp of the ID instead of on the points.

Really cool mount by the way, love the simplicity and functionality!

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Just some thoughts.. did you make the final ID actually 1.750? If so when you clamp the assemblies together the inside edges might dig into the pole. It's better to make the ID slightly oversized so that when it bolts together it's grabbing on the cusp of the ID instead of on the points.

Really cool mount by the way, love the simplicity and functionality!

The finished ID is 1.750". The pylon measures 1.735"...whoever made it likely started with a piece of 1.750 and took a light pass to remove the skin on the raw material. He's gonna wrap the pylon with painters tape so it doesn't get dicked up, so it should work out OK....in theory.

Regardless, customer told me what size to make the hole, so if its the wrong size, its his fault. :D

I suggested the lanyard thing too, but he seems satisfied with the tape that claims to be good for 300mph. Good thing they're not my go-pros.

hallett21

Reaction score
So what are you charging for that? Been wanting one for my ski pole

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Even the suction cup mounts would be fine.. those things stick on there way better than you would think they would.

I stick them in the transom of boats all the time to film the props / drives / x dimensions etc

I'm scared to use the sticky ones.. I'm scared it's gonna take the paint off someone's boat with it . Lol

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Even the suction cup mounts would be fine.. those things stick on there way better than you would think they would.

I stick them in the transom of boats all the time to film the props / drives / x dimensions etc

I'm scared to use the sticky ones.. I'm scared it's gonna take the paint off someone's boat with it . Lol

It's always a safe assumption that if it's sticky and says "3M" on it, it's permanent and not coming off without a fight...especially when they list a curing time for tape.

CigAjerk

Reaction score
Skiers are a long way back for a go pro. I've tried. Done a rope cam facing forward and backward, mounted one on the front of a race ski...got decent chest rig footage but the damn skier was too fat to stand up straight. :eek

There are some examples of all the different angles here. Even the outboard mounted cam can't see much of a skier back there.

[video=youtube;dx0LwP2NpXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx0LwP2NpXw&t=3s[/video]

Good luck. Hopefully something cool comes from it.