WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Toon sound systems

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Curious to know and/or see what you guys are running for sound systems in your toon. What batteries or if anyone is running a small generator? I have all JL Audio components (8 speakers and sub) and the sound is very clear but not the loudest system out there. It is kind of unique in that there is no exposed head unit. Must be mounted inside the helm with the main wiring. It just works off the touch screen helm and I bluetooth Pandora to it. Originally had Sirius as part of my order but it did not get installed for some reason but I am fine with Pandora although sometimes getting good 4G in the cove does not work that well.

Attachments

• 20160709_172750.jpg
    20160709_172750.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 393

fishing fool

Reaction score
I do not have a toon, but am redoing my system.
If you have all Jl audio amps you might just need to turn them up a little.
I have been looking at batteries and with the new digital amps I am going to stay with normal wet acid batteries 2 group 24 and add a starting battery. For the price this is the best bang for the buck. IMO. I have talked to several people over the last few weekends and they are running big power 8+ speakers with 3 group 31 insterstate batteries and have told me that can last all day.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I ran a generator in my old boat and my new boat. It's just too easy and they are so quiet.

With my batteries if there stereo is at low levels it'll play all day but if it's set on kill you're looking at an hour or less.

Lots of speakers and apps though lol

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I ran a generator in my old boat and my new boat. It's just too easy and they are so quiet.

With my batteries if there stereo is at low levels it'll play all day but if it's set on kill you're looking at an hour or less.

Lots of speakers and apps though lol

Like what a Honda E2000 ?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I do not have a toon, but am redoing my system.
If you have all Jl audio amps you might just need to turn them up a little.
I have been looking at batteries and with the new digital amps I am going to stay with normal wet acid batteries 2 group 24 and add a starting battery. For the price this is the best bang for the buck. IMO. I have talked to several people over the last few weekends and they are running big power 8+ speakers with 3 group 31 insterstate batteries and have told me that can last all day.

I have to check what my batteries are. I know they are Interstate most likely group 24. I only have 2 though.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Like what a Honda E2000 ?
My toon already had a pretty big stereo system installed when I bought it, three amps two subs and eight six by nines. I bought an on-board charger from Amazon and mounted it in the stereo compartment, and I take a Yamaha 2000 inverter generator and let it run all day.

It runs in eco mode and you can barely even hear it running, I throw a gallon of gas in it in the morning and its good to go all day.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Cool, do you have any pics of your set up? Do you just leave the generator on the transom and run a cord to the charger?

yz450mm

Reaction score
It's out in Parker, I will grab a picture next time I'm out there.

The rear of the toon has a compartment with a flip-up top, that houses the stereo equipment and has room for the generator. I put an exhaust Louver going out the back panel, and there is a 12-volt fan wired on a relay that runs whenever the stereo is on.

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Is that an exhaust line out to the back or just conduit cover to your charger?

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
It's out in Parker, I will grab a picture next time I'm out there.

The rear of the toon has a compartment with a flip-up top, that houses the stereo equipment and has room for the generator. I put an exhaust Louver going out the back panel, and there is a 12-volt fan wired on a relay that runs whenever the stereo is on.

Sounds really nice. So the fan is to cool the stereo equipment and help blow the exhaust out as well.

riverroyal

Reaction score
6 JL marine 7in. 1 JL powered 10" sub box under the helm. 1 fosgate amp, 1 sub volume control by throttle
Polk head unit that came with the Avalon. All done by car toyz. Sounds great!

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Your's sounds very similar to mine but mine is factory installed. I thought it was alittle strange though that my head unit is hidden. I assume it is inside the helm somewhere but appears that you have to remove the fridge to access this area.

Mrhavasu

Reaction score
6 JL marine 7in. 1 JL powered 10" sub box under the helm. 1 fosgate amp, 1 sub volume control by throttle

Which Avalon do you have? Just picked up a Rear lounge 25ft.

DLC

Reaction score
My crest came with 4-5 1/4" crap speakers

I was thinking about doing

6- 6" kicker speakers
1-10" sub
1- 5 channel amp

And
2- 8" kicker tower type speakers off the rear ski tow bar with a separate vol control knob. We like to float and kinda hang out at the back of the boat and don't want to blast the stereo to hear it while floating

I have 3 batteries and an on board charger to charge all 3 batts every night

DLC

Reaction score

This must sound really sweet!

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
2 blue top optimas
2 x MB Quart Onyx 4.125
1 x MB Quart Onyx 1000.1
8 Kicker 6x9's
2 Kicker CVR 12's in a ported box
Alpine HU

We had the original ported box and subs stolen while at a service shop in Parker. That box was huge and straight pounded.

New box still hits hard but nothing like the original that was discontinued.:rolleyes

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Thats a lot of system to run off your Optima's. How much run time do you get off one battery?

fishing fool

Reaction score
I went to wired for sound in Havasu yesterday and talked to Adam. They have a "pontoon system" they do. Sounds like a good system.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Thats a lot of system to run off your Optima's. How much run time do you get off one battery?

Never had a single issue...the amps are digital.this system plays way longer and louder than the stand alone we did in our sleek with 4 regular amps and 2 odyssey 1700's ironically

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I went to wired for sound in Havasu yesterday and talked to Adam. They have a "pontoon system" they do. Sounds like a good system.

is this the 8 wetsound's 6" with the 1 Kicker 12???

Adam did mine this way.... Stupid clean and loud , plays all day on 1 battery ...NO BS... 1 battery all day. that's a deep cycle interstate....I had them put 2 of those in and I have not had to switch to 2 even to start the engine.

Doesn't sound possible I know...I wasn't a believer until they went out with me for the day and we beat on it..... sure as shit , it played all day and the motor fired right up everytime and still had a full battery waiting in reserve.

Mike

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Never had a single issue...the amps are digital.this system plays way longer and louder than the stand alone we did in our sleek with 4 regular amps and 2 odyssey 1700's ironically

Well that is pretty good. My last boat had a nice system but the Odysee 2150 batteries could be run down during the day and the system would start to cut in and out and then off. I may look at upgrading my Interstate batteries to Optima's.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Well that is pretty good. My last boat had a nice system but the Odysee 2150 batteries could be run down during the day and the system would start to cut in and out and then off. I may look at upgrading my Interstate batteries to Optima's.

Upgrade your amps to the digital ones....Cuts the heat and uses less battery to get better sound.

Reactions: DWC

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Like mentioned below the battery isn't the issue it's the amps. The older amps run hot and absolutely kill batteries. We can pile go into thermal protection and kill 2 odysseys pretty dam quick pounding the system.

That boat had 2 Jl 100.4 and 2 zapco 125.4
4 diamond 10's
10 Polk momo speakers.

Honestly it was a pita. Toon has digital and no issues and inbuilt a simple system in the Hallett using a 5 channel alpine pdx and Never looked back.

fishing fool

Reaction score
is this the 8 wetsound's 6" with the 1 Kicker 12???

Adam did mine this way.... Stupid clean and loud , plays all day on 1 battery ...NO BS... 1 battery all day. that's a deep cycle interstate....I had them put 2 of those in and I have not had to switch to 2 even to start the engine.

Doesn't sound possible I know...I wasn't a believer until they went out with me for the day and we beat on it..... sure as shit , it played all day and the motor fired right up everytime and still had a full battery waiting in reserve.

Mike

I want to say yes but I think he told me all kicker speakers

What interstate battery do you have? Group 24 or 31? I have group 24 in my boat and am worried about playing with 1 battery. Just put in 3 of the kicker PX series amps (small but kick butt)

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Like mentioned below the battery isn't the issue it's the amps. The older amps run hot and absolutely kill batteries. We can pile go into thermal protection and kill 2 odysseys pretty dam quick pounding the system.

That boat had 2 Jl 100.4 and 2 zapco 125.4
4 diamond 10's
10 Polk momo speakers.

Honestly it was a pita. Toon has digital and no issues and inbuilt a simple system in the Hallett using a 5 channel alpine pdx and Never looked back.

Yes, I will research these new digital amps. Not familiar with the tech at all.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yes, I will research these new digital amps. Not familiar with the tech at all.

Alpine,jl and rockford fosgate all make great digital amps. Other companies like kicker are also out there I just don't have personal experience with them.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
I want to say yes but I think he told me all kicker speakers

What interstate battery do you have? Group 24 or 31? I have group 24 in my boat and am worried about playing with 1 battery. Just put in 3 of the kicker PX series amps (small but kick butt)

The kicker stuff is good , I went with the wet sounds as an experiment I think...lol they were a couple more bucks but seem worth it so far.

the batteries are group 24 , the kicker amps so far are impressive.... they keep bangin away all day..

You've heard it , you just didn't know this was the boat were talking about.... we usually see you at the sandbar at devils Elbow.... this is the toon with the bar in the middle.

Mike

DLC

Reaction score
The kicker stuff is good , I went with the wet sounds as an experiment I think...lol they were a couple more bucks but seem worth it so far.

the batteries are group 24 , the kicker amps so far are impressive.... they keep bangin away all day..

You've heard it , you just didn't know this was the boat were talking about.... we usually see you at the sandbar at devils Elbow.... this is the toon with the bar in the middle.

Mike

Do you have any pics of your / the toon?

MrMayhem

Reaction score
We put 7" JL's in the stock locations of the Avalon. They look and fit great. There are eight of them and I love the sound. The 4- 10" JL sub boxes are for shit. Very clean, but not enough base. Running 2 Interstate batteries and have not had an issue. Digital amps are the way to go!

riverroyal

Reaction score
We put 7" JL's in the stock locations of the Avalon. They look and fit great. There are eight of them and I love the sound. The 4- 10" JL sub boxes are for shit. Very clean, but not enough base. Running 2 Interstate batteries and have not had an issue. Digital amps are the way to go!

I want a 2nd JL 10" powered sub, the wife thinks I'm crazy

Booshy

Reaction score
Anyone know the ball park price for the wired for sound Toon system mentioned above? I’m thinking about towing the toon up and getting the Bimini updated and a stereo done all in one trip..

Reactions: Wmc

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Anyone know the ball park price for the wired for sound Toon system mentioned above? I’m thinking about towing the toon up and getting the Bimini updated and a stereo done all in one trip..
Call Adam Wired 4 Sound he's in Havasu now. Good and fair prices
(909) 210-7666

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

River918

Reaction score
Is that an Avalon?

Curious to know and/or see what you guys are running for sound systems in your toon. What batteries or if anyone is running a small generator? I have all JL Audio components (8 speakers and sub) and the sound is very clear but not the loudest system out there. It is kind of unique in that there is no exposed head unit. Must be mounted inside the helm with the main wiring. It just works off the touch screen helm and I bluetooth Pandora to it. Originally had Sirius as part of my order but it did not get installed for some reason but I am fine with Pandora although sometimes getting good 4G in the cove does not work that well.

DLC

Reaction score
6BB15D54-2007-4B24-920D-9A3873F52C09.jpeg
Toni did mine, it’s 1 1/4 SS pipe it’s at 6’ 4” above deck, but it didn’t come with a stern light and it doesn’t quite cover all of the back seats.
I think it looks sweet, but I can’t go boating at night.... well just yet!

The radio needs some help! Actually a lot of help!

Booshy

Reaction score
Good call on the stern light. Mine heads to Havi next week for a new Bimini and stereo...

DLC

Reaction score
Good call on the stern light. Mine heads to Havi next week for a new Bimini and stereo...

What are you doing for tunes?

I was thinking about setting up a 2 zone system so I can run a couple speakers out back off the ski tow bar, so we don’t need to bump the tunes inside the boat to just to hear it while we float in a cove- we like to do a lot of floating!

LakeBeard

Reaction score
View attachment 608935 Toni did mine, it’s 1 1/4 SS pipe it’s at 6’ 4” above deck, but it didn’t come with a stern light and it doesn’t quite cover all of the back seats.
I think it looks sweet, but I can’t go boating at night.... well just yet!

The radio needs some help! Actually a lot of help!

That Bimini is perfect! how much did that run you?

DLC

Reaction score
That Bimini is perfect! how much did that run you?

Thank you!

That’s hard to say, I ordered the boat from JR Motors and I paid extra for the original style Bimini and custom made canvas/ skin, although the canvas/ skin wasn’t done correctly and needed to be modified and then once I took possession of the boat the original frame was to tall to fit in the garage. Garage is 12Ft tall and with the Bimini up it was 12Ft 1.5inch.... lucky me!

So JR Motors helped out and I bought another new custom made Bimini and they kept the old frame for another toon....

So kinda estimating all said and done $3,500 to $4,500. It’s 1 1/4” SS and said to be a 100mph Bimini!!!! Like I’ll go that fast in my toon!
It’s the same style / design as the DCB “lick this” tri toon Bimini.

I just need a stern light

I am really pleased with how it turned out and think it looks sporty and kinda sleek for a toon, the OEM Bimini’s look so parachute like and catch a lot of the wind..... I am eager to get it out on the water!

Toni canvas made the Bimini

Booshy

Reaction score
What are you doing for tunes?

I was thinking about setting up a 2 zone system so I can run a couple speakers out back off the ski tow bar, so we don’t need to bump the tunes inside the boat to just to hear it while we float in a cove- we like to do a lot of floating!

I am taking it to Wired for sound in Havi and he has a system that is reasonable and sounds rally good. Ill try and provide info after I pick everything.

LakeBeard

Reaction score

I talked w/ Adam today to hook my toon up, he said about 5k. I cant load the vid he sent me, below is a link to one he just finished.

https://s.amsu.ng/DdfLpS1p8dHN

DLC

Reaction score
I talked to Adam he has a toon system sounds like a great deal !

Something along the lines of 2 amps, 6 - 8inch inside boat / 2 more 8inch in cans on the ski pole for floating tunes and a couple 10inch woofers new deck and a remote by the swim step area looking to do this in February

I am so excited to get this done along with some led mood lightning, bring on February!

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
Sounds cool, maybe show us some before and after pics of the install

DLC

Reaction score
Will do!
I just need to finish the project I’m on now, then I will have some time to get out there.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
Some progress pics from wired4sound, should be finished next week!

541015501.jpg
IMG953836.jpg
IMG953832.jpg
IMG953833.jpg
IMG953834.jpg
IMG953835.jpg
IMG953837.jpg

Attachments

• 541015496.jpg
    541015496.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG953838.jpg
    IMG953838.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 259

DLC

Reaction score
Looking good! That’s a good idea to put new faces on the step’d bases, it will make it look newer with the skin covering.

HavaToon

Reaction score
Looking good! Mine is there as well getting a major bass upgrade. I already upgraded everything else speakers and amp wise.