WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A Boy and His Hallett 270....

oldschool

Reaction score
Love the Dab at the end. That's awesome!

nowski

Reaction score
I think Luke needs to get his sunglasses back from his dad, lol...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Great Video!! Nice to see parents out teaching their kids how to do it!!

RD

rvrrun

Reaction score
My youngest (8 years old) has always had a fear of boats, so much we gambled buying ours and possibly having to sell if she was not into it. She would not even go down to San Pedro and sit in the sailboat while it was berthed. She usually sits in the back with my wife and constantly cautions me not to go above minimum planing speed. Our first trip this year, the water was rough, I keep telling her the faster I go, the smoother it gets. I put her on the wheel in my lap and ran the throttle and trim for her. By the time we got back to Thompson, she was driving at 50+ and having the time of her life. Now she lets me go as fast as I want and no more fear.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words all!

rvrrun,
Almost the same here with Luke...I`ll never forget rolling up to the dock the first time and seeing Luke standing on the dock yelling "DAD! Can I come with you?". Sat him my lap, put his hands on the wheel and off we went...he was 5.
It went back and forth with fear for a year or two but eventually this. Don't force em....parenthood is like walking a fence...guide them...discipline them...but don't break there spirit.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I have let my sons drive our boat almost every time we have had it on the water. Last week my 14yo told me he was taking the WA State online boaters education class so he could legally drive the boat. Boat operators have to be 14 yo or older. I was impressed. My wife started to take the course then gave up. I told my son, "you get it and I'll teach you how to dock and launch". I would love for him to be self sufficient and be able to launch and retrieve. I trust him and if he masters it, would let him take the boat out on his own with specific passengers. Plus it might allow me to be able to drink beer when we go boating:D

707dog

Reaction score
very cool vid thats what its about:thumbsup:thumbsup.. my 10yr boy loves when its just me and him. he has taken over moms job and been more hands on the past year launching/ getting the boat back on the trailer also when the dock isn't a zoo i let him pull us out of the marina while i roll up ropes and other stuff. our last outing i was showing him how to power and maneuver the boat while i pulled up our bungy & anchor, we had some heavy side wind which was tricky for him but i talked him thru it.