WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for bolt on skag fin for bottom of hull at jet/pump inlet on 01 Commander

mattt

Reaction score
My 01 Commander 21' Jet had 2 bolt on skags/fins that were thru bolted to the bottom of the hull, one on each side of the pump inlet area. I let someone use my boat and it drifted up on a rock bar while they were on a float, so they broke off. I've contacted Commander and they do not have a pair or know where to get them any longer. Anyone have a pair they'd sell? The picture shows what I have left of the ones that were on my boat(I jet ski'd to the rock bar and picked up my broken pieces :eek: )

Already picked up a new rudder from Place Diverter.

Attachments

• rudder-skag.jpg
    rudder-skag.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 69

mattt

Reaction score
On the boat.

Attachments

• rudder-fin.jpg
    rudder-fin.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 87

Icky

Reaction score
Looks like a piece of stainless or aluminum that was bent on a 90* angle. If you got some measurements or a paper napkin drawing I'm sure you could have one made by just about any Fab shop with a brake.

Where r u located

mattt

Reaction score
Looks like a piece of stainless or aluminum that was bent on a 90* angle. If you got some measurements or a paper napkin drawing I'm sure you could have one made by just about any Fab shop with a brake.

Where r u located

Thanks for the suggestions and reply. Negative ghost rider, not stainless. They are cast aluminum. Extruded aluminum angle could be made, but it has drawbacks.

They were installed on 21 jet's by Commander, I checked with Sy. The place he was having them made went belly up. They basically replicate the skag/fin that is part of the intake housing on a Berkeley pump intake. If Berkeley found them to be a good thing, that's enough for me to try and find a set to put back on.

I could make something out of regular extruded aluminum angle, but these being cast aluminum are a natural failure point if the boat is run up on something. They did their job breaking off instead of jacking up the bottom of the hull when they hit the rock bar. I don't think extruded aluminum angle would break as easily. In addition, they are not a true 90*...they have some angle built into them so they are vertical and not raked when attached to the V bottom hull.

mattt

Reaction score
Still looking for a pair of these to turn up from the haystack.