WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2018 Ford F-150 Updates

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
I have that start/stop feature and don't like it. Always turn the switch off first time at stop light but it defaults back every time you cycle the key. Is there a way to reprogram it to stay off?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
An F-150 with a 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel sounds very tempting! I hate the auto start! My wife has it on her Grand Cherokee an it drives me fucking nuts.

spectras only

Reaction score
Think about it. How much sooner the starter needs replacing with the excessive startup feature, wearing the brushes down. With a manual gearbox, one can roll start the car if the starter quit, towtruck time with autos.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I have start/ stop on my bmw and hate it, I have a button to disengage or engage it.
That thing is off always [emoji107] [emoji107]

I would not own a vehicle that I can't disengaged it [emoji202]

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Stop/Start wouldn't be quite so bad if cars had electric AC compressors like hybrids and EV's.
Nothing like sitting at a long light on a hot day, and having hot air blowing in your face.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
And how much fractional MPG is the truck gaining by shutting off at a stop? I have always thought that tech was rediculous. The only way I could see it being usefull is with direct injection and they were able to stop the engine with a piston in the exact position so where it would only require a squirt of gas and a spark to restart (supposedly Bosch is working on that tech now). Far less wear and tear on the starting system.

69 1/2

Reaction score
I have a couple Toyota Highlanders, a 2015 and a 2017. The new one has direct injection and start stop, you can hear a difference in the starters even though both have the same basic engine. I presume anything with start/stop has a starter designed for the increased duty cycles.

Trash

Reaction score
And how much fractional MPG is the truck gaining by shutting off at a stop? I have always thought that tech was rediculous. The only way I could see it being usefull is with direct injection and they were able to stop the engine with a piston in the exact position so where it would only require a squirt of gas and a spark to restart (supposedly Bosch is working on that tech now). Far less wear and tear on the starting system.

This is how Mercedes does it now. No electric start during ECO stop/start mode. As much as I'm not a huge fan of it it actually does save a measurable amount of fuel. Specifically during city driving.

Trash

Reaction score
Think about it. How much sooner the starter needs replacing with the excessive startup feature, wearing the brushes down. With a manual gearbox, one can roll start the car if the starter quit, towtruck time with autos.

They don't use the starter on Mercedes version. Mercedes stops the motor at TDC and then squirts gas a spark for a relight. It's impressive even though I'm not always a fan of it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
They don't use the starter on Mercedes version. Mercedes stops the motor at TDC and then squirts gas a spark for a relight. It's impressive even though I'm not always a fan of it.

I'm unaware that it ever made production for any carmaker.
Im happy to be proven wrong...got a link?

Everything I'm finding says its a quieter starter motor.

Mazda has implemented i-stop, which is functionally similar but still uses a brief burst of the starter.
They had tried a system about 10 years ago that worked in the lab without a starter motor, but didn't work so well in the real world.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
An F-150 with a 3.0L Powerstroke Diesel sounds very tempting! I hate the auto start! My wife has it on her Grand Cherokee an it drives me fucking nuts.
I can't stand it on our GC either. They make a module that plugs into the obd port to stop it without pushing the button but idk about paying 125 for it.....