WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Info on Laser boats? Build quality etc.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Don't know much about these guys? Were they quality boats? Still in business? The 22 ft "vision" looks like an Ultra hull to me. Any info or experience with them?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Essex builds them, It is/was their economy line. They are pretty good boats, but generally simpler builds than an Essex.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I had a laser built in 2007 , 25' deep v mid cuddy open bow with a 496,
Owned it for 7 years and was very happy with the quality of the boat and the performance. Did everything I needed it to , handled big ( lake water 4'ers) if it's their economy line, then I guess I couldn't afford Essex boat, lol. Mine was 69k in 2007

One thing that made me buy laser ,they made everything in house ( except trailer and merc motor) [emoji4] [emoji202]

Singleton

Reaction score
Built my Essex, same quality but gel design, interior and options were limited.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Don't know much about these guys? Were they quality boats? Still in business? The 22 ft "vision" looks like an Ultra hull to me. Any info or experience with them?

I had a 22 built in 2001 and still have it today. It's always been turn key reliable, Just normal maintenance. I would have no problem buying another one.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
Our first boat was a laser vision.

Great boat for the price, never an issue.

nowski

Reaction score
I liked the Laser Vision at first and almost bought one till I saw the Essex Vortex's. Between me and my wife we couldn't come to an agreement, she wanted the Vision and I wanted the Vortex so we ended up with neither. However when a buddy of mine was looking for a used boat I talked him into a Vortex so at least on occasion I get to ride in one... There both good looking affordable boats but for a little more money I'd go with the Vortex, it's just an overall better build.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Laser I found to be the best bang for my buck when I bought in 05. As mentioned, the laser line is the economy Essex. They are both glassed the same in the same building. Same gel product. The difference is in the finish. Lower level gauges, lower level batteries, steering wheels, etc etc. All the little detail stuff. Laser hull warranty of 5 yrs vs essex 10 yr. Laser has only 3 models the 22 vision, 23 apex and the 25 fury. All 3 are incredibly roomy. My interior on my 23 is bigger than my friends 23 cobra. The 22 vision is a really fast hull. Really fast! My cousin has a 22 with a 350 mag and he runs side by side with me in my 23 with 496. The 23 and the 25 have a lot of freeboard and can handle some pretty big water. The 22 is pretty low profile and big water can be tricky in it. The owners of essex/laser started as riggers long ago with ultra I was told. Could be why their older models look so much like ultras. They are definitely not low end IMO. I've put my boat through some SERIOUS paces and has not skipped a beat. You won't be disappointed. They are just underrated is all.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
You wont be dissappointed. They are a good manufacturer and are still building boats in Ontario.
Rigging isnt quite as fancy as Essex but a solid boat.

Too bad they dont sponsor a regatta anymore.

charlyox

Reaction score
I have had my Vortex since '04 and still love it. IMG_2688.jpg IMG_0722.jpg IMG_7585.jpg

traquer

Reaction score
Great boats. I think all of their 21/22 hulls are fast padded hulls that are also good in rough water.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Laser I found to be the best bang for my buck when I bought in 05. As mentioned, the laser line is the economy Essex. They are both glassed the same in the same building. Same gel product. The difference is in the finish. Lower level gauges, lower level batteries, steering wheels, etc etc. All the little detail stuff. Laser hull warranty of 5 yrs vs essex 10 yr. Laser has only 3 models the 22 vision, 23 apex and the 25 fury. All 3 are incredibly roomy. My interior on my 23 is bigger than my friends 23 cobra. The 22 vision is a really fast hull. Really fast! My cousin has a 22 with a 350 mag and he runs side by side with me in my 23 with 496. The 23 and the 25 have a lot of freeboard and can handle some pretty big water. The 22 is pretty low profile and big water can be tricky in it. The owners of essex/laser started as riggers long ago with ultra I was told. Could be why their older models look so much like ultras. They are definitely not low end IMO. I've put my boat through some SERIOUS paces and has not skipped a beat. You won't be disappointed. They are just underrated is all.
You said only 3 molds, I had the the 24 blade. Did they stop making that one ???
[emoji202]

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You said only 3 molds, I had the the 24 blade. Did they stop making that one ???
[emoji202]

I was thinking the same thing, I thought it was called a 24 valor, but maybe I'm wrong I thought it was a nice looking boat.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
It is the 24 blade. I remember milkmoneys having a pretty good porpoise at low speeds for some reason.

milkmoney

Reaction score
It is the 24 blade. I remember milkmoneys having a pretty good porpoise at low speeds for some reason.
Actually, I never felt my boat porpoise. Chine walk at 70 yes