WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A bad ass yellow Pantera just came through the parking lot

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I was hoping he was going to stop over at the brewery and I could walk over and do a full report.

She sounded quite healthy too.

Oh how I love those ol girls.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Pics or it never happened.

No shit. I deserve it alright.

Phone was in the shop and when the office window rumbled as it went by. Not many hotrods come by these parts.... Sorry, I got all giddy and jumped up and went outside hoping whomever was driving was going to park it.

One of those is on my list.....

Had a new black plate too.

Brian

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
They are one of the most underappreciated supercars ever made. With only a few minor teaks they can hang with the best of them.
Little side note, although they came from the factory with a 351C HO motor, Bill Stroppe installed Boss 429 engines in several of them.

rvrrun

Reaction score
They are one of the most underappreciated supercars ever made. With only a few minor teaks they can hang with the best of them.
Little side note, although they came from the factory with a 351C HO motor, Bill Stroppe installed Boss 429 engines in several of them.

Marketing was not that hot with them.

"Let's sell them to stodgy Lincoln buyers, that'll work!"

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Dang, I dont recall the engine compartment being wide enough for that beast.

80-90k 40 year old examples.....

I don't know that they are that underappreciated.

Brian

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...almost brought one in the late 80s ...I can't remember what the price was but it wasn't that much ...I didn't buy it because it had rust at the bottom of the drivers door ...stupid me...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Dang, I dent recall the engine compartment being wide enough for that beast.

80-90k 40 year old examples.....

I don't know that they are that underappreciated.

Brian

Try buying a Ferrari 365 or a Lamborghini Muira.

Only supercar of the 70s in the same price range is a Maserati Bora.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Try buying a Ferrari 365 or a Lamborghini Muira.

Only supercar of the 70s in the same price range is a Maserati Bora.

Panteras are bad ass in their own right, no doubt, but to put them on the same page as a Ferrari or Lambo?

Come on now LOF.

Brian

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Panteras are bad ass in their own right, no doubt, but to put them on the same page as a Ferrari or Lambo?

Come on now LOF.

Brian

Correct. Not all supercars are equal, (Maserati Boras suck) but it was a supercar. If we are shopping for 40 year old cars to spend $90k on I'd buy a Pantera over a $90k muscle car.

I'd argue they may be under appreciated actually.

Case in point - The first NSX was a supercar, and a Corvette would wipe the floor with it. Same with the more modern Audi R8 V8.

Here is a reatomodded one with a 4 cam Ford mod motor in it. If that fits a Boss 429 will fit!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182721349481

4Waters

Reaction score
How about the Ring Bros 71 Pantera.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170819-145304.jpg
    Screenshot_20170819-145304.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20170819-145338.jpg
    Screenshot_20170819-145338.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 31

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Im glad I am not the only one here that likes em.

I figured a few of you peeps would be fans. I wish he had stopped so I could have talked with him.

Brian

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I had a hard-on for a Pantera about 12 years ago and went on a 2 year journey to find one that had its suspension updated, a built engine, the interior upgraded, and all those areas that were prone to rust taken care of. I probably drove about 8 of them, but that was just around the block or a quick drive on the freeway. It wasn't until I found one out in Palm Springs with the GT5 widebody package that I really spent some time in one. We went back in the hills and then on the freeway, all in all I spent about half an hour in the car and came to the realization that it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I'd ever driven. There's barely any room for you both your feet, if you're not working the clutch there's no place for your left foot - the fenderwell protrudes to the left side of pedal area so there's no room for a dead pedal, and because you sit almost on the floor there's not any room to pull your left leg back either. I wanted a car that not only looked bitchen', I wanted one that wouldn't beat the crap out of me on a long ride.

Don't get me wrong, they are bitchen' looking cars and if I had FU money I'd have one in my livery just like this with the GT5-S package:
DETOM_2.jpg

DETOM_1.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Ive heard the same, on here as well.

IMA put my fingers in my ears.....lalalalalalalala....

They are some sexy bitches, to me at least. Don't care if they aren't practical.

Brian

I had a hard-on for a Pantera about 12 years ago and went on a journey to find one that had been its suspension updated, a built engine, the interior upgraded, and all those areas that were prone to rust taken care of. I probably drove about 8 of them, but that was just around the block or a quick drive on the freeway. It wasn't until I found one out in Palm Springs with the GT5 widebody package that I really spent some time in one. We went back in the hills and then on the freeway, all in all I spent about half an hour in the car and came to the realization that it was one of the most uncomfortable cars I'd ever driven. There's barely any room for you both your feet, if you're not working the clutch there's no place for your left foot - the fenderwell protrudes to the left side of pedal area so there's no room for a dead pedal, and because you sit almost on the floor there's not any room to pull your left leg back either. I wanted a car that not only looked bitchen', I wanted one that wouldn't beat the crap out of me on a long ride.

Don't get me wrong, they are bitchen' looking cars and if I had FU money I'd have one in my livery just like this:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes they are absolutely shitty to drive. Nothing is quite in the right spot. And you need disproportionate arms and legs to be comfortable.

They are just dick jewelry :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yes they are absolutely shitty to drive. Nothing is quite in the right spot. And you need disproportionate arms and legs to be comfortable.

They are just dick jewelry :)

Whelp, luckily I got plenty of room still. :)

Xring01

Reaction score
20 Years ago ish.

My wife and i agreed I could go buy one. It was at Hall pantera in OC Area. Panteras are probably my favorite of all the classic cars. The Lines, HP to weight ratio, aggressive, but classy.. beautiful cars in my opinion.

So I go to take a Red 71 Pantera for a test drive, and most likely buy.

Then reality smacked me right up side the head. I am 6ft 2, most of my length is my Torso, when I sit in a chair I look like I am 6ft 6...

I could barely even get in it. My knees were in my chest, and my head was sideways, ear almost touching the roof.

Guys 5ft 6 have issues with them. I was told you can drop the floor pan a few inchs, mods here and there.

I gave up on my dreasm of a Pantera, and bought a boat.

I still love em, but can never drive one.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Sold by Ford dealers $10.000 MSRP on the window sticker.
Looked excellent bone stock.

wzuber

Reaction score

that likely sounded badass and made them even faster but wouldn't that have significantly altered the weight dist. and handling or did their mid engine design accept that type of mod well?

Brian, having grown up in Upland did you happen to see or possibly even know Jack Kelly? He had a black one in the late 70's, early 80's and it was basically a daily driver for him back then so it was rather visible and always exciting to see because they were so unique and badass looking/sounding. It was rumored he was a retired race car driver, not sure if he raced Pantera's or just what. His son Jack was in my graduating class of 81 at UHS and a pretty chill "dooood".

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
that likely sounded badass and made them even faster but wouldn't that have significantly altered the weight dist. and handling or did their mid engine design accept that type of mod well?

Brian, having grown up in Upland did you happen to see or possibly even know Jack Kelly? He had a black one in the late 70's, early 80's and it was basically a daily driver for him back then so it was rather visible and always exciting to see because they were so unique and badass looking/sounding. It was rumored he was a retired race car driver, not sure if he raced Pantera's or just what. His son Jack was in my graduating class of 81 at UHS and a pretty chill "dooood".

A quick internet search shows there is only about 20 or 30 lbs difference between the engines (depending on who you believe). Probably not enough to alter the CG all that much.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Any other Pantera fans remember the movie "Banzai Runner" staring Dean Stanton? A classic B-movie with good screen time for the Pantera...

Groper

Reaction score
A quick internet search shows there is only about 20 or 30 lbs difference between the engines (depending on who you believe). Probably not enough to alter the CG all that much.
Or maybe less than the 351C, I have a 429 Boss Hemi in my Cobra with Aluminum Heads and I'd bet that it weighs less than the 351C with iron Heads.
I searched for Pantera for many years and found that there were a few that are near perfect with several that were hacked up beyond repair IMO, also parts are very hard to find BUT I still would love to own one :thumbup:

wzuber

Reaction score

wow.. that's pretty remarkable considering the weight diff. between a SBC and BBC. I assumed it to be similar but I guess not, thanks for the clarification. So does that mean the 351C is a big "small block" or is the 428 a small "big block"? Peaked me curiosity now.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Sold by Ford dealers $10.000 MSRP on the window sticker.
Looked excellent bone stock.

The Pantera? They were sold at Lincoln-Mercury dealers.

One of the many things that led to their demise in this country.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
wow.. that's pretty remarkable considering the weight diff. between a SBC and BBC. I assumed it to be similar but I guess not, thanks for the clarification. So does that mean the 351C is a big "small block" or is the 428 a small "big block"? Peaked me curiosity now.

The 429 was a thin walled casting with aluminium heads.

Groper

Reaction score

Attachments

• p175895_image_large.jpg
    p175895_image_large.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 32

C-2

Reaction score
My uncle in Norco has a 73'. Kind of a rattle box to ride in, but fun. :thumbup:

180098_1769566888735_6228368_n.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
My uncle in Norco has a 73'. Kind of a rattle box to ride in, but fun. :thumbup:

Maybe when your uncle wants to sell it...you know....you remember your little buddy Brian....

You know,,.,that guy....?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ive driven a couple and worked on a couple. Yes one of my f@vorite all time rides. As said very uncomfortable. One I worked on was really built. Man that was one pissed off kitty. Guy kept it at his mistresses apt in santa monica. He was a mid west guy who had to come out for "business". I get wood just thinkin about that c@r.
Buddy Pat had one in the day. Him drivin. Me shotgun and Judy in my lap.:D After that ride I think me anf Judy would be legally married in some culture's.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was driving to San Diego from LA last year and a sweet yellow Pantera in the lane next to me rear ended someone. :( It was like someone kicked me in the junk.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Ahh DeTomaso Pantera.

Talk about love/hate. I have worked on a few over the years, one really nice rebuilt one and some stockers...

Horrible mash of American and Italian....engines were great, cooling systems were anemic, wiring was a total WTF?!?! mess....

Ergonomics?....Keep dreamin....:D

Never have I liked a car so much..until I drove it....:p

Then they did it AGAIN when they brought out LaForza...:D

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Correct. Not all supercars are equal, (Maserati Boras suck) but it was a supercar. If we are shopping for 40 year old cars to spend $90k on I'd buy a Pantera over a $90k muscle car.

Case in point - The first NSX was a supercar, and a Corvette would wipe the floor with it. Same with the more modern Audi R8 V8.

Here is a reatomodded one with a 4 cam Ford mod motor in it. If that fits a Boss 429 will fit!

Maybe in a straight line...but not on a road course. The corvette of that era was weighing in at 3680.
The '91 NSX is just a tic over 3000 lbs and very nimble.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score

They did all this work to this car, but for what they want for it they didn't upgrade the suspension with forged aluminum pieces, the interior looks clean, but the dash kit that makes the center stack more legible where the gauges and radio are set horizontally could have been installed, the seats are still the unsupportive stock seats - Corvette C4 seats fit right in, they're still using Veglia gauges that are know to just quit. The front triangular bracing should have been installed in the front in the storage area to keep the body from tweaking from the additional power. You notice that there are no pictures of the the underside of the car. $125k is way too much for this car just because it has the 4.6 DOHC engine in it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They did all this work to this car, but for what they want for it they didn't upgrade the suspension with forged aluminum pieces, the interior looks clean, but the dash kit that makes the center stack more legible where the gauges and radio are set horizontally could have been installed, the seats are still the unsupportive stock seats - Corvette C4 seats fit right in, they're still using Veglia gauges that are know to just quit. The front triangular bracing should have been installed in the front in the storage area to keep the body from tweaking from the additional power. You notice that there are no pictures of the the underside of the car. $125k is way too much for this car just because it has the 4.6 DOHC engine in it.

Agreed. i just picked that one for reference on engine bay width.

oldschool

Reaction score
My parents next door neighbor had a really clean white one. The license plate said "BYBYVET".

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Agreed. i just picked that one for reference on engine bay width.

Gotcha!

If I was doing a build up I'd just install an LS7 Z06 engine, it's smaller and lighter than the 351C, 351W, or the 4.6 DOHC. If you wanted to stay all Ford I think the supercharged Shelby 5.0 Coyote engine would be too tall to fit in the Pantera engine bay, but if the 4.6 DOHC fits, the Shelby engine just might. You might need a shoehorn, but if someone really wanted to.....$$$$