WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Battery questions. 2014 Camry

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
So Debs Camry has an issue.
The battery seems to be dying already. Original Toyota battery.
No shorts, alternator is putting out, battery is loosing charge sitting.
I am a cut and dried Die Hard Platinum fan.

But there doesn't seem to be an exact match available.
Group is 24F.

I am no battery expert. I don't know what all that means, I only know that 2 of the last 6 optimas I have bought worked and the rest failed very fast. The Die Hard Platinums I have bought since for my Cummins (2), the Vette, and my old Tacoma sat for months on end and NEVER hiccuped once.

How much variance is there in group size? In other words can I use a different group and be OK?
Because Id really prefer to put a platinum in it if I can.
Thanks

Taboma

Reaction score
Trusting you know your shit --- I'm struggling with the shame of asking, but you have checked the electrolyte level, yes ? Often overlooked with these "Low Maintenance" batts without the old school caps.

Other than physical dimensions between the various groups, I'd pay attention to the rated CCA (Higher OK, caution if lower than OEM).

My wife's past two Lexus's have had remarkable battery life, both made in Japan, both sporting Panasonic batteries. After about 7 years the last one was finally acting up, took it in to Lexus asking to have it replaced with another OEM battery. Service writer gave me a very competitive price, I agreed. When we picked it up, it was sporting a new Interstate Battery :grumble:

rvrrun

Reaction score
My wife's mini uses an odd size battery. The mini forums were a wealth of knowledge and showed a commonly available battery that's just a bit bigger, but fits no problem. Try Googling for your car, there's probably a group size that will work and be available in the brand you want.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Trusting you know your shit --- I'm struggling with the shame of asking, but you have checked the electrolyte level, yes ? Often overlooked with these "Low Maintenance" batts without the old school caps.

Other than physical dimensions between the various groups, I'd pay attention to the rated CCA (Higher OK, caution if lower than OEM).

My wife's past two Lexus's have had remarkable battery life, both made in Japan, both sporting Panasonic batteries. After about 7 years the last one was finally acting up, took it in to Lexus asking to have it replaced with another OEM battery. Service writer gave me a very competitive price, I agreed. When we picked it up, it was sporting a new Interstate Battery :grumble:

Yes I checked the levels first thing, and have the caps cracked as it charges right now.
Going to sears to look at what will fit.
It's only 525 CCA, there is a platinum with 580 with the same dimensions.

Most of the same group size are RV batteries. Seems strange.

fishing fool

Reaction score
The difference in group 24 batteries is where the post are located or if they are screw in.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
As long as you can get the hold down clamp secured well enough for it to be stable, and the hood does not interfere, using a slightly smaller/bigger battery is not a problem.

Just go up in CCA, never down.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Batteries are really hit and miss in the aftermarket.

I try to stick with what works for me, I only use Delco from a warehouse GM distributor. They don't seem to have as many off gassing issues that some of the other manufacturers have.

They also tend to make it out of the warranty period lol.

I am sure you know this already, but i'm gonna say it anyhow. :D

Make sure posts are as clean as you can get them, and make sure it's secured well, vibration kills them fast.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Batteries are really hit and miss in the aftermarket.

I try to stick with what works for me, I only use Delco from a warehouse GM distributor. They don't seem to have as many off gassing issues that some of the other manufacturers have.

They also tend to make it out of the warranty period lol.

I am sure you know this already, but i'm gonna say it anyhow. :D

Make sure posts are as clean as you can get them, and make sure it's secured well, vibration kills them fast.

Yeah it's spotless under the hood.
She has a JL 500 watt digital amp, JL subs and Focal components interfaced with the factory source.
It's all professionally installed and I interviewed several shops before having it installed to make sure they knew what they were doing. I do old school installs, mostly classic car systems or deck and 4's plus subs, I don't mess with interfacing much.
It had been flawless for 3 years so I don't know if the load just wore this battery out prematurely or what.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Yeah it's spotless under the hood.
She has a JL 500 watt digital amp, JL subs and Focal components interfaced with the factory source.
It's all professionally installed and I interviewed several shops before having it installed to make sure they knew what they were doing. I do old school installs, mostly classic car systems or deck and 4's plus subs, I don't mess with interfacing much.
It had been flawless for 3 years so I don't know if the load just wore this battery out prematurely or what.

Is it driven everyday? I usually see factory batteries last 5-8 years.

I would bet that if you look at the battery closely you'll find it's a replacement installed at the dealer, not a real Factory one. It happens...they get "misplaced" or someone messed up and drained it somewhat and they just popped one in.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Just bought one of those last week for my Dingy. $72 for an Interstate at Costco. $15 more if you don't have a core.

You should not have any issues with that stereo setup, but if she accidentally left the lights on a time or two those batterys have a hard time coming back.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Just bought one of those last week for my Dingy. $72 for an Interstate at Costco. $15 more if you don't have a core.

You should not have any issues with that stereo setup, but if she accidentally left the lights on a time or two those batterys have a hard time coming back.

She claims no fault...but I'm not convinced!

havasubum

Reaction score
I just had to replace my battery for my 2013 Camry and got my battery from Napa Auto parts for $90 bcuks (my best friend owns a Napa). The battery from Napa had better cranking amps and was an exact fit so I cant complain.