WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dove Opener

RVRKID

Reaction score
anyone going out for the opener Fri? If so where? Hoping to hit Blythe but my buddy may have to work so waiting to see..:thumbsdown

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Only downed 2
ac15a75e68fbcdffab29a8ec892d0163.jpg

sloboat76

Reaction score
We had our (Arkansas) big opening day hunt yesterday and all I can say is WOW. We find a small field that is going to be planted to winter wheat and work it up good and sew wheat real heavy and lightly scratch it so as to not cover it all (all within legal definitions). We then place hay bales all over the field for cover and invite every body over for a full day of fun. There was 45 shooters and We cleaned 701 doves after just an hour and a half of shooting yesterday morning. The fog kept the birds flying low so the action never stopped. We then cleaned them all party style and grilled 300 loaded with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, we also fried 200 dove, plus cooked fixings as well. After lunch, refreshments, football, and naps we went to another location and as a group killed 430 more. So in total over 1100 birds picked up. I was shooting my new Benelli 20 gauge and I shot horrible and ended up running through a full case of shells yesterday. My lab who is just over 2 years old picked up almost 100 birds for my group at the hay bales. He really surprised me on just how good he done but we still have a few small issues that age and repetition should fix. One thing I do know is I have to put him on a leash when I get my limit and head out as he picked up 11 birds that others couldn't find and he just kept bringing them back to me which put me over the limit. Lol I found others who were needing a few and got them redistributed. Good opening day and we will hunt a few fields through the week (much smaller groups) and then next Saturday we will go all out one more time and that's it for dove this year. Cant wait until opening day of Teal season after that. I know living in the asshole of the world sucks most of the time but if you guys from out west ever make it out here and bird hunt you will know why some of us stay around, also hard to raise rice in the desert. lol

Rivrat

Reaction score
We did alright on the opening day [emoji1360]
IMG_6437.jpg

Groper

Reaction score
Went to Goodyear Az to a so called Private Dairy Farm with about 50 other (I wasn't told about) Hunters it sucked, downed 1 and left for Wickenburg and downed a few more unfortunately the field I hunted last year was plowed so no food and it was getting late.
Tried another spot on Saturday outside of Wickenburg (word of mouth) came up dry and headed to Agilla (field was closed to Hunting with Pallets and Security) then Sloan and grabbed a few more but it was late and they were starting to roost.

I just didn't have any time to scout this year so it is what it is. :(

A ton of driving with a few great Bars and great friends and still worth it :thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Surprised there isn't more action in this thread?

As I traveled down 89 in AZ from Prescott to Quartsite I saw more bird than I have in a long time.
Almost hit a few in the car.