WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

For you BVI vacationers

2Driver

Reaction score
Looks like a direct hit tomorrow. The eye passing over Anegada (28' above sea level at hit high point) and right into Bitter End and Necker

Winds 180 MPH with gust to 220mph. Sucks big time if you love BVI.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I'm just hoping they survive and are back to being a nice place to vacation by June in 2018!

Backlash

Reaction score
This storm is going to be devastating. I hope people heed the warnings and are able to make it to safety. Another one is lining up right behind Hurricane Irma too. Damn.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I hope that there is a Nice BVI still there to visit.:eek

Backlash

Reaction score
We just got back from the Bahamas and I keep thinking the same thing.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ive been watching the web cams and the place has been clearing out. Looked like it was raining at the Soggy dollar this evening.

wzuber

Reaction score
Necker Island is owned by Richard Branson so they have possibly hung out.

What your likely thinking of is Little St. James Is. (in BVI) which is owned by the well known pedophile slime ball, Jeffrey Epstein. He's the one who is said to have underage sex slaves held there and on his airplane for his guests pleasure according to statements made by one girl that was hired by Epstein to work his guests flights including Bill and Hi-larry Clinton. A quick search will yield plenty of entertaining reading.

2Driver

Reaction score
I hope that there is a Nice BVI still there to visit.:eek

It could very well still be limping along in June. Things move slow there. They have clearly lost their season (winter) if this hits. The house we were going to rent in Anegada we figure will have waves over the roof....until it comes apart.

My guess is a lot of places and boats will be lost. We were supposed to be in Kauai at a hotel where the eye of cat 5 Iniki came on shore. Some Hotels in Poipu were closed for years and vegetation was stripped for several years. That was 1991 and you can still find hotel debris when snorkeling today

Id wait a couple days then decide if you want to go. Island time means slow recovery.

2Driver

Reaction score
Guess the surge has hit

The Saba Rock restaurant web cam is underwater and still transmitting as of now.

http://www.sabarock.com/webcam/

IMG_2360.jpg

Sandlord

Reaction score
St Barth live cam is in the middle of it now.
The pic is usually of the boats tied up in the harbor, with a palm tree closer to the cam.
[video=youtube;hG-GpHPkBoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG-GpHPkBoM[/video]

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Just shaking my head in amazement at the power of mother nature.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Wonder how many of these boats will be totaled....terribly saddened for the BVI folks that lived off the water and the services they provided from it...just awful.

USClb41

Reaction score
Yep, been going there for 15 years and was going in December, my buddy's boat is in there somewhere. Just heartbreaking to see it all in shambles.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Wonder how many of these boats will be totaled....terribly saddened for the BVI folks that lived off the water and the services they provided from it...just awful.

A group of us were going to try to schedule something next year to go there.

Whats your thoughts on that at this point?

2Driver.....How about you? You think that is even an option at this point?

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I already posted this on FB, but... before and after (different angle, obviously)
84828cac07f92b1756585d24b9a07f52.jpg
8b76e3bf90c32ea54f30087023a12593.jpg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Sad deal. I've only heard good things about The Mooriings operation. Can only hope there were no serious injuries or fatalities.

mbrown2

Reaction score

We were planning a trip for March 2018...I don't think that may be possible any longer. I am going to call Moorings in a couple of weeks after they at least catch their breath and see what their forecast looks like. The thing is ....having a boat is one thing but all the places you sail to are damaged or gone...JVD, white beach, saba, leverick, bitter end...(can't believe the video there), nanny cay, west end (ferry docks even gone)....so you lack the infrastructure to actually have a pleasant sailing experience. Things move slow there normally and without roads/infrastructure to rebuild the water service industry may take years....In looking at Roadtown and Tortola...The city was heavily damaged and roads as well so just getting around is not doable right now and they don't have the infrastructure and tools like the states...they are dependent on neighboring countries as the British Navy is only bringing supplies...food/water/medicine....Right now the priority is water/medicine/food and account for everyone....cleanup then will happen....rebuild...I have no clue on timing. Cleanup will take very long.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DB....You think BVI has any chance of recovering by next year? I know you love going there.
We were planning to book in December for a trip in Summer 2018... now I'm really not sure. This whole thing absolutely breaks my heart. Seeing the pictures as they come out just crushes me. I would love nothing more than to go and spend my money down there to help them recover. On the other hand, I think about how much it costs for a trip like that and how very, very different the experience is going to be for the next few years... just not sure. I'd like to think that they will rebuild quickly, but the reality is that Island Time is a real thing and some may not even have the means anymore to start over. To make matters worse, their high season starts in a few months :( so they will be missing out on that income for sure.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go find "Caribbean Buzz Helicopters" on Facebook. They have videos of Anegada, Bitter End, SabaRock, Beef Island, Cow Wreck Beach :( :( :( :( :(

2Driver

Reaction score
Go find "Caribbean Buzz Helicopters" on Facebook. They have videos of Anegada, Bitter End, SabaRock, Beef Island, Cow Wreck Beach :( :( :( :( :(

I was looking at that earlier. 2018 is done maybe even 2019 imo

Check out the bitter end
IMG_2379.jpg

Cane garden
IMG_2375.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg

Leverick
IMG_2380.jpg

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Soggy Dollar Radio is still running (TuneIn app)... although now it just kinda bums me out when I hear the ads for White Bay...

2Driver

Reaction score
Soggy Dollar Radio is still running (TuneIn app)... although now it just kinda bums me out when I hear the ads for White Bay...

When we came back from BVI in 2016 we decided its time to sell the river house and use the money in retirement to do extended trips down there. Now where, Tonga maybe.

Still pales compared to what residents are dealing with.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
We were planning a trip for March 2018...I don't think that may be possible any longer. I am going to call Moorings in a couple of weeks after they at least catch their breath and see what their forecast looks like. The thing is ....having a boat is one thing but all the places you sail to are damaged or gone...JVD, white beach, saba, leverick, bitter end...(can't believe the video there), nanny cay, west end (ferry docks even gone)....so you lack the infrastructure to actually have a pleasant sailing experience. Things move slow there normally and without roads/infrastructure to rebuild the water service industry may take years....In looking at Roadtown and Tortola...The city was heavily damaged and roads as well so just getting around is not doable right now and they don't have the infrastructure and tools like the states...they are dependent on neighboring countries as the British Navy is only bringing supplies...food/water/medicine....Right now the priority is water/medicine/food and account for everyone....cleanup then will happen....rebuild...I have no clue on timing. Cleanup will take very long.

We were planning to book in December for a trip in Summer 2018... now I'm really not sure. This whole thing absolutely breaks my heart. Seeing the pictures as they come out just crushes me. I would love nothing more than to go and spend my money down there to help them recover. On the other hand, I think about how much it costs for a trip like that and how very, very different the experience is going to be for the next few years... just not sure. I'd like to think that they will rebuild quickly, but the reality is that Island Time is a real thing and some may not even have the means anymore to start over. To make matters worse, their high season starts in a few months :( so they will be missing out on that income for sure.

Thanks for your take on this. Feel bad for the people there and hope there wasn't too many lives lost :(

I was looking at that earlier. 2018 is done maybe even 2019 imo

Check out the bitter end
View attachment 585769

Cane garden
View attachment 585770
View attachment 585771

Leverick
View attachment 585773

Absolutely devastated

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When we came back from BVI in 2016 we decided its time to sell the river house and use the money in retirement to do extended trips down there. Now where, Tonga maybe.

Still pales compared to what residents are dealing with.

I've been poking around looking at other Moorings locations. I'm also really interested in possibly finding an awesome rental house in the Bahamas somewhere with a boat for day trips. Not sure where to start yet though. Ugh. Gonna be really hard to compare anything with the magic of the BVI.

So true that our issues sure don't seem big when considering those who have had their lives turned upside down. :(

2Driver

Reaction score
Weve been looking too

We found 2 personal islands to rent one in Belize and one on an atoll near Tahiti. Both reasonable.

Google motu teta

Also look at the Moorings site for Tonga its like a BVI to yourself

IMG_0391.jpg

BajaMike

Reaction score

It will be back up by next Spring. They've been through this before.....might be short on boats, but they will be building new boats and bringing some from their other locations.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I've been poking around looking at other Moorings locations. I'm also really interested in possibly finding an awesome rental house in the Bahamas somewhere with a boat for day trips. Not sure where to start yet though. Ugh. Gonna be really hard to compare anything with the magic of the BVI.

So true that our issues sure don't seem big when considering those who have had their lives turned upside down. :(

We have a trip to Guadeloupe in a month. Although they escaped the devastating damage of a direct hit, it is going to be interesting to see how it turns out, and we are going regardless...as long as we can get there. Hopefully our patronage will help the economy. We have always liked October trips to the Caribbean but knew we were chancing it.

I am more worried about the 2 days we have booked in South Beach on our way to Guadeloupe...literally across the street from South Beach.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
It will be back up by next Spring. They've been through this before.....might be short on boats, but they will be building new boats and bringing some from their other locations.

You would still go thru with plans Mike?

2Driver

Reaction score
They'll still be cleaning up next year. The place is wiped.

Its not like its a major city in US. Shit a year after iniki hit Kauai it was still screwed up. Some hotels were shut for years.

The place is 3rd world in the middle of the ocean

2Driver

Reaction score
When your fellow man is in crisis no better time to stock up on a few flat screens.

IMG_2382.jpg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
If they were looting for basic staples like milk, bread, water I could understand. TVs and shit like that....shoot them down as they aren't worth anything to the human race anyhow

530RL

Reaction score
I just booked a cruise for the wife and her friend for March. Not gonna rent the boat at moorings next year but it is still important to send them off to the area to spend some money. :thumbsup:thumbsup

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just booked a cruise for the wife and her friend for March. Not gonna rent the boat at moorings next year but it is still important to send them off to the area to spend some money. [emoji106]thumbsup
Man, you need to give James some lessons! Lol ;)

DaveH

Reaction score
Weve been looking too

We found 2 personal islands to rent one in Belize and one on an atoll near Tahiti. Both reasonable.

Google motu teta

Also look at the Moorings site for Tonga its like a BVI to yourself

View attachment 585787

even though BVI got hit hard, and I agree with Tom the island infrastructure is needed to make the sailing enjoyable....food, fuel, ice, emptying tanks and so forth.....vacationing is how those people survive so i would expect the boats and marinas and so forth to be the first thing they address. i bet there will be some good deals for chartering next year.

2Driver

Reaction score
Few more. Bitter end may have a few rooms to rent in a 1/2 year. Dont think it would be the same cruising around construction and carnage. The lush tropical hillsides reduced to deserts of sticks

WIlly T before and after
IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2386.jpg

Marina Cay
IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would be cool to go down there and help them rebuild. Not exactly All Inclusive but would be a fun adventure. :thumbsup

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates?
Maria is supposed to hit them tomorrow as a Cat 5 too.:eek:skull:thumbsdown:skull:(:grumble:

Sandlord

Reaction score
Maria is getting close to St Croix.
The waves are breaking over the boardwalk in to the shops, inside the harbor.
and this is on the opposite side of the island as Maria. Maria will go past the southwest end, and Christenstead is on the North side at the East end.
No cameras found near Frederickstead at the west end.
[video=youtube;3Q2CzQclKQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2CzQclKQc[/video]

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 3.59.00 PM.png

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Maria will clean up the shit left by irma.

That is what I'm afraid of. I suppose that at this rate all the shit will be on the Eastern shores of Mexico and they can use it to rebuild after 2 earthquakes.:eek

2Driver

Reaction score
St Croix is toast [emoji853]

[video=youtube_https;blYEC4KeJOE]https://youtu.be/blYEC4KeJOE[/video]