WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rev 4 21p Prop

shunter2005

Reaction score
Searching for a new prop. I have a used Rev 4 21p prop for sale. Was on my 270 when I bought it and had a couple of Havasu dings on the edges, which have been repaired. It has been my spare prop so it hasn't been used since it was repaired. Prop is in good condition. Asking $325 OBO plus shipping. Unable to take pics tonight, but will post some in the morning.

Will consider a trade for a Bravo 1 22p or 24p in excellent condition or possibly a Hill Marine Signature SL 22p or 24p (4 blade). Also interested in a Hill Pleasure 5 21p. Would also consider a Hill SL 5 24p plus some booty to do the deal.

tkrrox

Reaction score
What power do you have? I would not be in a hurry to sell that and replace with a 22 b1 until you tried one first.

shunter2005

Reaction score
What power do you have? I would not be in a hurry to sell that and replace with a 22 b1 until you tried one first.

Bone stock 502 mpi. Runs 59 mph @ 5100 rpm. I have a newer Rev 4 21p on the boat now. I like the Rev 4, but would like a couple more mph. Going to try a my Rev 4 23p next time out and see how it performs before I purchase anything.

The Rev 21 gives the boat some decent bow lift and is outstanding out of the hole, but it feels like I need to get the stern up out of the water a little. Don't know, maybe it's just me.

Have a friend with the same boat, except his is a twin step 270 with a 496, but he says he is in the upper 60's with a Hill Marine Pleasure 5 21p. Maybe he is relying on the speedo for his numbers, but I am just surprised that his boat is 6-10 mph faster than mine. WTH???

tkrrox

Reaction score
If yours is a straight bottom 270 you are going to be wetter than a step hull. The lifting strakes don't run all the way back and causes it to run wetter. That is also why it is so solid and predictable. Try the 23. Also try some 5blades. My brother likes a 5 better on his straight bottom but he has a lot of power. You will loose top end with a 5 but should have a better cruising speed.

shunter2005

Reaction score
If yours is a straight bottom 270 you are going to be wetter than a step hull. The lifting strakes don't run all the way back and causes it to run wetter. That is also why it is so solid and predictable. Try the 23. Also try some 5blades. My brother likes a 5 better on his straight bottom but he has a lot of power. You will loose top end with a 5 but should have a better cruising speed.

It is a straight bottom. What pitch 5 blade would you think? I talked to some guy at Hill Marine (not one of the Hills) and he said that if I went 5 blade, I should drop down to a 19p. I was thinking about a 23 or 24p in a 5 blade. Now I just don't know. I can kinda figure what a 4 blade will do, but I really don't have much knowledge what pitch 5 blade I should try. Is the step bottom that much faster than a straight bottom with similar power?

Do you know if your brother feels the 5 blade gives him some stern lift in his straight bottom?

tkrrox

Reaction score
A rule of thumb is one down for every blade. If you can spin a 25 3blade then a 24 4blade then a 23 5 blade. No granted ear size does make a difference too but that is a good starting point. I run a 25 rev4 and a 24 5blade cutting edge. Mostly the cutting edge is always on because I'm always cruising or towing kids.

Trash

Reaction score
Bone stock 502 mpi. Runs 59 mph @ 5100 rpm. I have a newer Rev 4 21p on the boat now. I like the Rev 4, but would like a couple more mph. Going to try a my Rev 4 23p next time out and see how it performs before I purchase anything.

The Rev 21 gives the boat some decent bow lift and is outstanding out of the hole, but it feels like I need to get the stern up out of the water a little. Don't know, maybe it's just me.

Have a friend with the same boat, except his is a twin step 270 with a 496, but he says he is in the upper 60's with a Hill Marine Pleasure 5 21p. Maybe he is relying on the speedo for his numbers, but I am just surprised that his boat is 6-10 mph faster than mine. WTH???

Your friends speedo is grossly off. Swapping props will never net a 6-10 mph increase OR decrease (prop size within reason of course). If you want more stern lift you want a prop with less rake and less blade sweep. Your Rev 4 21" is pretty close to ideal right now. If you were to try something else a Bravo 1 in 22 or 24" might be a starting point. I can't comment on the Hill 5 blades as I have no data or experience with them.

shunter2005

Reaction score
Your friends speedo is grossly off. Swapping props will never net a 6-10 mph increase OR decrease (prop size within reason of course). If you want more stern lift you want a prop with less rake and less blade sweep. Your Rev 4 21" is pretty close to ideal right now. If you were to try something else a Bravo 1 in 22 or 24" might be a starting point. I can't comment on the Hill 5 blades as I have no data or experience with them.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to ask him if that was gps or speedo speed. I would guess by what I know from our conversation, it's speedo speed, so I would agree with you. I would like to put mine up next to his one day and see what speed really is.

I also agree with you about the Rev 4 21. I really can't complain about the prop, but I always have to tinker with stuff. I just can't leave well enough alone. I would just like to garner a couple of additional mph out of it. I had figured this boat would run mid 60's when I bought it. May have to PO on speedo, but I put a gps speedo in right after I got it. Still getting used to it and may not have it trimmed out perfectly yet, so it could possibly gather another one or two mph if I play with it. Holeshot is excellent. Mid range is good. I guess I shouldn't complain about top end too much. I rarely open her up anyway.

I am going try the Rev 4 23 next time out and see what it does, then I will figure out something else if needed. I know I will probably lose a little holeshot and maybe some mid range efficiency, along with some 300-400 rpms, but it should still be in the recommended rpm range. I won't know for sure until I try it.

I will probably pickup a Bravo 1 22 or 24 (depending on what the 23 does) or a Hill SL 4 22 or 24 if one pops up for sale, just to try it out.

3.Slow

Reaction score
I have a spare Bravo 1 22 and have been wanting to trying the Rev 4 21 for towing the kids and such, if you are interested in trading let me know.