WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Leaving pirates channel !!!!!!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'm trying to correct the negativity towards DCB owners, but this is making it difficult.
Did the guy happen to be be driving a black lifted truck as well?

I heard he had a flat billed hat and black socks on too!

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I take it you guys do not want go to the regatta bankquet. :D

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Some DCB owners are like BMW owners, the rules don't apply to them.

Hey, I love my BMW. [emoji1] IMG_4620.jpg

instagator

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be every brand of every car or boat?

I don't understand the hate toward DCB owners. If the guy was in a Cheetah would you say the same thing about Cheetah owners?

A week ago i was swimming at the rear entrance to the channel by crazyhorse, I was right next to the sign that says Welcome to Paradise, with the rules of the
channel listed below, I see a boat coming from windsor at full speed towards the 5 mph buoy. He passes the bouy and proceeds a little past the sign and finally
gets off the throttle and costs about a 150 feet in past the sign, The boat was a 24 Hallett, So does that mean any one who drives one of those is an asshole !

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
A week ago i was swimming at the rear entrance to the channel by crazyhorse, I was right next to the sign that says Welcome to Paradise, with the rules of the
channel listed below, I see a boat coming from windsor at full speed towards the 5 mph buoy. He passes the bouy and proceeds a little past the sign and finally
gets off the throttle and costs about a 150 feet in past the sign, The boat was a 24 Hallett, So does that mean any one who drives one of those is an asshole !

No - he had a sanctioned pass from the Hallets on Havasu weekend. :D

On a serious note - are you running in the PR @ the DCB Regatta this weekend? I am going to hit a few card stops in my 21.

the510

Reaction score
Yesterday I'm heading into the entrance of Pirates channel I'm trying to enter on the right side just like the flow traffic on the street, some asshole in a 29 DCB decides to cut between me and the shoreline. I'm already off plane idling in (22 open bow Cole) he decide to plane early still in the no wake zone. The hole this boat dug was unreal. I'm looking at this swell and thinking to myself of fuck that thing is 3 times the size of the top of my deck. Quick thinking I throttle up and take the wave on my boat lucky takes the wave but just before landing my boat is like at a 60 deg angle pointing at the sky the guy in front of me said he could see the entire bottom of my boat. It's unbelievable how clueless some boaters really are. Don't forget folks you are responsible for your own wake! Good thing I wasn't an inexperienced boater or in a little 18 jet it would have been sitting on the bottom of the river!

Lots of dumb boaters out there. Seems to be getting worse and worse.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I keep reading that. Sure it is the law but has anyone EVER heard of it being enforced? And not a friend of a friend's uncle sued for dock damage and won.

I don't boat out west but have seen tickets written for wake violations in TX and GA. Didn't get names either.;)

milkmoney

Reaction score
Yes [emoji6] [emoji202]

ilmormark

Rest Easy Mark (ilmormark) (Smoke On The Water) 😢
Reaction score
Saw this guy last wed on my way to pirates for lunch when i left he was being towed into Pirates Marina

Attachments

• IMG_0440 (1).JPG
    IMG_0440 (1).JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 86

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
I don't boat out west but have seen tickets written for wake violations in TX and GA. Didn't get names either.;)

Back in the 80's I was issued a citation for going six mph in a five mph zone and creating an excessive wake. I was riding a jet ski.

SuperDave013

Reaction score
I actually did get a ticket at Pirates for wake last Saturday. I was going as slow as it would go and I do understand it's not that slow. I told them I was only there for the v drive show. cop in the boat was really pretty cool. He said I don't want to ticket you but the cop on shore was telling / ordering him to.

shueman

Reaction score
That no wake zone needs to move out and be equal with the jetty. I am always off plane before entering the entrance and have been passed by folks that don't come off plane until the market (idiots IMO).

On many boating rivers across America, ingress & egress channels with boat traffic are NO WAKE across the entire river, depending on size ... get out the NW Bouys, boys !! There's way too much traffic up there not to put this in place IMO ...

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I actually did get a ticket at Pirates for wake last Saturday. I was going as slow as it would go and I do understand it's not that slow. I told them I was only there for the v drive show. cop in the boat was really pretty cool. He said I don't want to ticket you but the cop on shore was telling / ordering him to.

I love it

Flatbottom - gets ticket for excessive wake at idle speed

Wakeboard boats - you just go ahead and do whatever the fuck you want and sink docked vessels

Constant840

Reaction score
Yesterday I'm heading into the entrance of Pirates channel I'm trying to enter on the right side just like the flow traffic on the street, some asshole in a 29 DCB decides to cut between me and the shoreline. I'm already off plane idling in (22 open bow Cole) he decide to plane early still in the no wake zone. The hole this boat dug was unreal. I'm looking at this swell and thinking to myself of fuck that thing is 3 times the size of the top of my deck. Quick thinking I throttle up and take the wave on my boat lucky takes the wave but just before landing my boat is like at a 60 deg angle pointing at the sky the guy in front of me said he could see the entire bottom of my boat. It's unbelievable how clueless some boaters really are. Don't forget folks you are responsible for your own wake! Good thing I wasn't an inexperienced boater or in a little 18 jet it would have been sitting on the bottom of the river!

It wasn't the twin drive, blue and white eliminator? I watched him do the same thing right in front of the bungalows. He didn't dig, but did manage to catch the front anchor rope of some of the Vdrive guys lined up bow out. Almost had a three vdrive sandwich.

No kidding? I watched guys coming in and out with tall geared drives. Only saw patrol once in the morning. They came in to the lagoon and joked about floating there all day.

whipple charged

Reaction score
I have had this same scenario happen to me several times although not quite as close of a call. Not trying to defend the clown, but part of the problem there is the entrance. The "no wake" zone doesn't start until you're inside the jetty, so some leaving are taking off just outside the mouth, while others that are coming in are coming off plane well outside the entrance. Personally I don't see how they take off so soon when you can't see the cross traffic until you're farther out.:rolleyes

we were there Saturday also and saw lots of this from all kinds of boats..

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I dont want to remove more of our river and lakes but to be honest why dont they just extend the no wake zone from topock to the entrance of pirates. Its literally right around the corner a couple hundred yards? Its not a safe entrance or exit at all.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I dont want to remove more of our river and lakes but to be honest why dont they just extend the no wake zone from topock to the entrance of pirates. Its literally right around the corner a couple hundred yards? Its not a safe entrance or exit at all.

Agreed!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

You'd make a 5 minute no wake zone into a 15+ minute idle when going up river.. I don't think there has ever actually been a crash there, so I'm questioning how "dangerous" it is? Been that way for a long time.

It's longer than a couple hundred yards as well.

hallett21

Reaction score
You'd make a 5 minute no wake zone into a 15+ minute idle when going up river.. I don't think there has ever actually been a crash there, so I'm questioning how "dangerous" it is? Been that way for a long time.

I was gonna say please don't extend it lol. If they added another fine but let me cover a couple hundred yards over 5mph

fishing fool

Reaction score

What makes it bad is the people pulling kids on tubes and the people that have to make a "pee break" after coming out.
Like really drive the 100yrds to the no wake zone and pee.

McKay

Reaction score

Agreed, per google earth entrance to entrance it is roughly 1700 yards. I get tired of the excessive no wake zones.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I was gonna say please don't extend it lol. If they added another fine but let me cover a couple hundred yards over 5mph

I'm okay with modifying the no wake zone at the entrance, but extending all the way to Pirates would basically double the length of the no wake zone.:thumbsdown

Old Texan

Reaction score
Sounds like another case of having to deal with stupid people that can't use common sense when at the helm......So simple to just use one's head and picking spots to go fast and places that need extra caution by slowing down and looking out for other vessels. People that create wakes must never look behind and to the side when the pass close to something.

It just is not that hard to do, except for dumbasses.:rolleyes

milkmoney

Reaction score
Sounds like another case of having to deal with stupid people that can't use common sense when at the helm......So simple to just use one's head and picking spots to go fast and places that need extra caution by slowing down and looking out for other vessels. People that create wakes must never look behind and to the side when the pass close to something.

It just is not that hard to do, except for dumbasses.:rolleyes
Again. U r using logic that has pretty much went by the way side , excluding us perfect assclown boaters on rdp
[emoji4] [emoji202] [emoji106]

johnnyC

Reaction score
I was at Pirates on Sat. you guys are wright that there was a lot of boats making wakes from excessive speed, if the boat can't idle down to a acceptable speed shut it down and coast, there was a blown flat with 2 older women on board that went flying buy a couple of times, looked like that they didn't give a shit, at least they got pulled over by the cops .... really unsafe boating no wakes are for a reason!

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
ONE WEEKEND a YEAR, Billy works with the Pirate's Cove Resort, hosting a "get together" for high performance boat enthusiasts . This deal is not a "magic heel click" simple kind of thing, it takes a lot of work .

I have not heard of these kinds of problems at the "February Needles event", as I feel that it is attended by mostly "hardcore boaters", and less "looky Lues " (thanks Jeff Blosdale)

Those who attend for "the intended purpose" understand that some very high performance props and jets cannot reasonably slow down to a "zero wake speed" . SOME of these boats are used; "on the holding rope, to full speed, and back to the trailer", and may not safely move under their own power at less than "wake less speeds" .

People who own and often build there own machines have MAJOR RESPECT for themselves and those around them . Very rare to witness a "show off" type of accident with these people, but accidents can happen to the best of us .

IMO, for questions about the actions of boaters specifically targeted for this event, I ask if the boater was UNSAFE IN ANY MANNER OF OPERATION, or just throwing a wake ?

For OTHER SPECTATOR BOATS, their operations and questions about "safe operation", or "a specific captain's actions " , I would hope that these problems and questions were "asked and answered" outside of any threads dealing with the "event itself" .

Having played on this river since 1969, I know that the LEO's monitor "comments about all these kinds of events on the net", not because they are looking for trouble, but they are looking to PREVENT TROUBLE in the future .

Are your comments about "unsafe boating", or just "selfish boating" ?

Please understand that this is ONE WEEKEND a year, hosting some of the most "un-family friendly watercraft" on the planet . It is a waterborne showcase for those who "drive their lifestyles", and not just "float and drink on them" .

I hope we can separate "general public bad boating", from "performance boating events", otherwise, we will lose one and then both ..............

Joker

Reaction score
ONE WEEKEND a YEAR, Billy works with the Pirate's Cove Resort, hosting a "get together" for high performance boat enthusiasts . This deal is not a "magic heel click" simple kind of thing, it takes a lot of work .

I have not heard of these kinds of problems at the "February Needles event", as I feel that it is attended by mostly "hardcore boaters", and less "looky Lues " (thanks Jeff Blosdale)

Those who attend for "the intended purpose" understand that some very high performance props and jets cannot reasonably slow down to a "zero wake speed" . SOME of these boats are used; "on the holding rope, to full speed, and back to the trailer", and may not safely move under their own power at less than "wake less speeds" .

People who own and often build there own machines have MAJOR RESPECT for themselves and those around them . Very rare to witness a "show off" type of accident with these people, but accidents can happen to the best of us .

IMO, for questions about the actions of boaters specifically targeted for this event, I ask if the boater was UNSAFE IN ANY MANNER OF OPERATION, or just throwing a wake ?

For OTHER SPECTATOR BOATS, their operations and questions about "safe operation", or "a specific captain's actions " , I would hope that these problems and questions were "asked and answered" outside of any threads dealing with the "event itself" .

Having played on this river since 1969, I know that the LEO's monitor "comments about all these kinds of events on the net", not because they are looking for trouble, but they are looking to PREVENT TROUBLE in the future .

Please understand that this is ONE WEEKEND a year, hosting some of the most "un-family friendly watercraft" on the planet . It is a waterborne showcase for those who "drive their lifestyles", and not just "float and drink on them" .

I hope we can separate "general public bad boating", from "performance boating events", otherwise, we will lose one and then both ..............

Agree 100%. It's not like these boaters were being inconsiderate. They idled out of PC the best get could. If you can't handle a 6" wake then maybe you shouldn't be boating.

johnnyC

Reaction score
in my post I tried to be short, other blown flats were shutting off and coasting as well as being towed (broke?) some were idling down in my younger years I always as well as now respected the no wake zone, in pirates it is rather confined and someone doing 25+ mph is in my opinion was being unsafe in the open river all bets are off, in owning a flat at one time i many times had to do the start shutoff and coast drill, these flats sometimes take my breath away just looking at them I would have one now but my back isn't condusive to it, the shows in needles and pirates need to continue, all it takes is some one in the middle of the channel and a driver not on his/her toes and there will be a some very serious injuries as we all know, no-one is 100% all the time

hallett21

Reaction score

I agree with you sentiment. But the reality is the law is the law. This board hates on the wake crowd and even the DCB, Skater, MTI crowd when they break the law.

Raffit78

Reaction score
I agree with you sentiment. But the reality is the law is the law. This board hates on the wake crowd and even the DCB, Skater, MTI crowd when they break the law.

If there's a thread about a "bad day" on the water, I doubt there's ever a positive statement about a wakeboard boat. Even if a wakeboard boat had 0 to do with the bad day or the thread. Just scroll through this thread, it was almost in the clear... almost.

People tend to forget how bad weather gets overnight and completely ruin docks, boats, anything else on the water. But here, just pull out the "rollbar boat" card. Works every time.

Shit gets old fast......like fake news.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Big difference between the wake of an 18 foot 450 pound flatbottom and a F29 DCB.

I've almost gotten a ticket for my wake in a flatbottom that didn't idle well. Not much you can really do unless you have a clutch.

Constant840

Reaction score
in my post I tried to be short, other blown flats were shutting off and coasting as well as being towed (broke?) some were idling down in my younger years I always as well as now respected the no wake zone, in pirates it is rather confined and someone doing 25+ mph is in my opinion was being unsafe in the open river all bets are off, in owning a flat at one time i many times had to do the start shutoff and coast drill, these flats sometimes take my breath away just looking at them I would have one now but my back isn't condusive to it, the shows in needles and pirates need to continue, all it takes is some one in the middle of the channel and a driver not on his/her toes and there will be a some very serious injuries as we all know, no-one is 100% all the time

Off topic... 6 commas and not a single period. Are we going for a no punctuation zone too?

You did manage to capitalize all of the "I"'s. Imagine that.

Old Texan

Reaction score
Maybe these boats that can't idle down to below wake speed, need to add a trolling motor for no wake zones and around the dock?:skull;)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sounds like its more of a "stay woke" zone

Kids these days....

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Please post comments about "boating outside of a specific event" in other boating threads .

The local LEOs know about the two high performance events in the Needles area, long before they happen .

They also "accommodate" the noise, speeds, and excessive no wake speeds, BECAUSE they have a history with this general boating group .

Over the years these events have been going on, the participants have done a SAFE JOB of policing themselves .

Anyone who "pushes" that TRUST, knowingly places all the participants and the events at risk .

If you come to be an observer to one of these events (anywhere), please be assured that any boat "idling and making a wake" is not doing it unconsciously, but doing so attempting minimal risk and affect to others .

YES, it would be great to have "shuttle boats" tow those fast idling boats, in and out of the venue, but until that happens, things will be "just like the good old days" ........

Inside the event is PLEASURE BOATING, while outside the event it's also pleasure boating, can't we all just get along ?

SuperDave013

Reaction score
it was a bad call on my part driving through the channel. not crying about the ticket. But I assure you that it was going as slow as it could possibly go. it needs bottle primed to start so shutting it on and off is also a problem. Once the gear gets much over 40% they really chug at idle.
Sorry for rocking the boats and the last thing I want to do is make an event look bad. But yeah, that channel is not for me. First and last time you'll see me there.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
it was a bad call on my part driving through the channel. not crying about the ticket. But I assure you that it was going as slow as it could possibly go. it needs bottle primed to start so shutting it on and off is also a problem. Once the gear gets much over 40% they really chug at idle.
Sorry for rocking the boats and the last thing I want to do is make an event look bad. But yeah, that channel is not for me. First and last time you'll see me there.

Sorry the thread changed gears to the flat bottom regatta, I can't really believe people would be upset at that event, and should realize they can be tough to drive. I was only commenting on the problems of the entrance as far as an on going problem.

johnnyC

Reaction score
I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I was only trying out to point out what I thought was a unsafe condition and
If the channel was wider the speed wouldn't be as much of a problem, I tend to be overly cautious.

guest hs

Reaction score
Well this is my thread and I'm going to make a comment about the Flats and Hydros that participated in the event. The event was specially for these boats and if these boats almost plane at idle speed then so be it. It's their event! I started this thread because of a safety concern I had. A Flat bottom or Hydros wake is not going to sink anyone's boat but these big cats and wake surf boats have the ability to do just that if the operator doesn't have experience in operating a boat. By the way my Son saw the boat yesterday on the trailer and it was a twin with out of state registration.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Jesus Christ....its starting to sound like river whips in here
Lock this thread! :eek

DWC

Reaction score
I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I was only trying out to point out what I thought was a unsafe condition and
If the channel was wider the speed wouldn't be as much of a problem, I tend to be overly cautious.

Sad to hear that tickets and some complaints could hurt future attendance. I loved the event and look forward to coming back again next year. It's not something we see every week, especially in that and quality. We obviously weren't the only ones there because it was packed for a mid-Sept river trip. The wakes from the flat bottoms didn't rock my boat any more than when it's sitting on a beach in Needles. The speed/safety is no different than the PC shuttle drivers, or occasional jack ball in a hurry splitting the middle on a busy weekend.

The entrance to PC isn't an easy fix in my opinion. It probably should come to the end of the channel. Big boats coming off or on plane deep into the channel are just as bad as sea doos flying in. We head up river, shut down early and idle in. Coming out we get around the corner and wait for an opening to merge. No different than heading in or out of Jack Smith. Another no wake zone can't be the answer or it will never end.

There are a shitload of new boats and boaters out this year. The MOM thread alone is amazing to watch. New boats can be tricky, new boaters can be scary. I remember leaving plugs out, taking a few times to back up the truck, dead boat batteries and taking a half dozen attempts to get back on the trailer. It's part of the learning process. Having more boats on the water isn't great but growing interest in the hobby is. It's driving up used boat and real estate values. This forum has people dropping out of the boating life every day. It's not all bad to have the next generation wanting to join.

PS. Sorry for the long read. Been home sick for a couple days.
PPS. Sorry if we cut anyone off this weekend. Was getting my son some seat time and we're still working on his F'g depth perception. PM me with issues rather than posting...