WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Amazon HQ2

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Am I hearing correctly, 50000 six figure jobs to the city they decide to open HQ2 in? I was listening to NPR and not sure I heard correct, so I googled, but couldn't find info on the salaries. Anyone hear the broadcast?

Singleton

Reaction score
When built out, they are saying 50K jobs with an average salary of 100k.

poncho

Reaction score
Its a big story here in Boston, the politico's are scrambling to choose a venue and get in line.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Its a big story here in Boston, the politico's are scrambling to choose a venue and get in line.

Bid deal here also or at least the economic development council thinks so. Tucson sent a Saguaro Cactus( good sized one with arms) to Seattle. It has a snowballs chance in hell of surviving.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Yup. heard on the news Chicago sent a delegation to Seattle today..... Chicago.... the town that drove out the Lucas Star Wars museum..... good grief...

wzuber

Reaction score
When built out, they are saying 50K jobs with an average salary of 100k.

MAGA--Yup, Trumps policies hard at work.:)

Bear in min.... in SAN FRANCISCO... that''s still below the POVERTY level INcoME.:champagne:

Singleton

Reaction score
MAGA--Yup, Trumps policies hard at work.:)

Bear in min.... in SAN FRANCISCO... that''s still below the POVERTY level INcoME.:champagne:

Amazon's decision has nothing to do with Trump. Internally this has been in the works for multiple years. They can't expand anymore in Seattle (limited land and resources). They will be moving to a more corporate friendly state that is within a 2 hour flight.

poncho

Reaction score
Amazon's decision has nothing to do with Trump. Internally this has been in the works for multiple years. They can't expand anymore in Seattle (limited land and resources). They will be moving to a more corporate friendly state that is within a 2 hour flight.

I was sitting in horrible traffic when it came on the news, I don't see any city with gridlock having a chance, not to mention very expensive housing.

renodaytona

Reaction score
Reno is in the running and toward the top of the list from what I hear. Shitty thing is our infrastructure is so screwed from all of the new companies moving to town that the fixes they are finishing up were already out grown 5 years ago.

wzuber

Reaction score

A's decision...99.5% true and agreed. That being said you can't completely discount the notion that had the election gone the other way the general reaction economically could have dissuaded them from pushing forward with the plans at this point.

However, it did make for a good opportunity to rub a little MAGA in the tards faces. lol
you know how they just HATE it when good things happen that run contrary to their fucktrump rhetoric.

squeezer

Reaction score
However, it did make for a good opportunity to rub a little MAGA in the tards faces. lol
you know how they just HATE it when good things happen that run contrary to their fucktrump rhetoric.

Really... Please tell us more about these good things you speak of.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3066110/is-amazon-killing-jobs-and-destroying-communities

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/amazon-jobs_us_583db239e4b06539a78a7992

https://www.theguardian.com/sustain...st-job-losses-it-will-restructure-the-economy

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Yup. heard on the news Chicago sent a delegation to Seattle today..... Chicago.... the town that drove out the Lucas Star Wars museum..... good grief...

Exactly how many high jobs would the Lucas Museum produce again?

As hard as Chicago is trying for this, the tax situation is such Amazon isn't coming here.

thetub

Reaction score
but whos gonna fill these 50,000 high paying jobs?

according to some American workers are too stupid...

looks like theres gonna be six million and fifty thousand open jobs...

but if if does happen would love Texas to be the spot...

530RL

Reaction score
but whos gonna fill these 50,000 high paying jobs?

according to some American workers are too stupid...

looks like theres gonna be six million and fifty thousand open jobs...

but if if does happen would love Texas to be the spot...

Young recent grads gathering the skills in STEM necessary to fulfill the new requirements of the jobs of the future.

Not luddites who believe the way forward is more coal miners and sheet metal bending at a carrier plant.........

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Young recent grads gathering the skills in STEM necessary to fulfill the new requirements of the jobs of the future.

Not luddites who believe the way forward is more coal miners and sheet metal bending at a carrier plant.........

ROFL. You are such a sheep :p Take a read. Then tell me who's going to fix your Tesla...an actual Mechanic who HEARS the bad wheel bearing ...or the STEM tard who can't find anything wrong because the data is not there from the scan tool....

https://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/education/the-stem-crisis-is-a-myth

You must have seen the warning a thousand times: Too few young people study scientific or technical subjects, businesses can?t find enough workers in those fields, and the country?s competitive edge is threatened.

And yet, alongside such dire projections, you?ll also find reports suggesting just the opposite?that there are more STEM workers than suitable jobs. One study found, for example, that
wages for U.S. workers in computer and math fields have largely stagnated since 2000. Even as the Great Recession slowly recedes, STEM workers at every stage of the career pipeline, from freshly minted grads to mid- and late-career Ph.D.s, still struggle to find employment as many companies, including Boeing, IBM, and Symantec, continue to lay off thousands of STEM workers.

thetub

Reaction score

well then these jobs being created should start at 500,000 k then...

for fu-cks sake coppers get more then 100,000 k ... (no offense to coppers)

and had to look up luddites...

learned something new

guess i was a luddite all these years and didnt know it...

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
ROFL. You are such a sheep :p Take a read. Then tell me who's going to fix your Tesla...an actual Mechanic who HEARS the bad wheel bearing ...or the STEM tard who can't find anything wrong because the data is not there from the scan tool....

The view from way up high doesn't notice the majority of "menial" jobs require skills and education.:rolleyes

Today's fabrication and manufacturing jobs deal with high tech equipment and processes and pay well for those seeking careers.

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
" guess i was a luddite all these years and didnt know it... " Shit Tub, I knew you were with yore first post.. I knew right away you were one of us...:rolleyes:champagne:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score

What a fuckin puke. Who built that throne you sit on. What are you going to do when yore toilet plugs and all your little brain dead pukes with degrees don't know anything of the real world. I made a good living with my hands and don't have one hour of higher education except for days and days of tech schools to fix your fricken boat, if you have one, because you have a hard trying to figure out how to put fuel in it. Hell, you might just pay some one to do it because you don't know how.
All you do is degrade people of the real world and think every young person should be a brain dead scholar that doesn't know shit. Let's see one of yore little shitheads repair the fricken helo you fly around in or better yet, try to refuel it.:finger:finger:finger

RodnJen

Reaction score
well then these jobs being created should start at 500,000 k then...

for fu-cks sake coppers get more then 100,000 k ... (no offense to coppers)

and had to look up luddites...

learned something new

guess i was a luddite all these years and didnt know it...

I had to do the same. Thanks for the vocab lesson 530RL.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Wow, 50,000 6 figure jobs??? Holy crap.

I have a feeling this will be after they get rid of 40k of dead weight employees in an over priced situation. There is not a major City in U.S that is ready for this by any means. Amazon is going to get tangled up in their lack of profits and paying taxes.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Id guess..... "blue" state..... near a major airport....????? Denver?

Old Texan

Reaction score
Atlanta, Dallas, and Austin would likely be favorites....

Royally PO'd

Reaction score
Don't even THINK about that shit, we're STILL trying to claw our way back to red...:eek:eek:eek

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score

Unfortunately, It won't be Tucson. Sorry SS ol' buddy. :p

http://ktar.com/story/1742256/website-says-tucson-is-the-worst-city-in-arizona-to-live/

Aside, I'm often curious as to why Phoenix/Tempe/Gilbert aren't in the top running for ALL these type employers. Were it I, factors I would look at are, housing, tax environment, recreational opportunities and probably the biggest would be employees ability to get to work reliably. Arizona is one of the few places that doesn't have; floods, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes etc.

Our commute times are reasonable and the sun always shines.

Old Texan

Reaction score

http://ktar.com/story/1742256/website-says-tucson-is-the-worst-city-in-arizona-to-live/

Aside, I'm often curious as to why Phoenix/Tempe/Gilbert aren't in the top running for ALL these type employers. Were it I, factors I would look at are, housing, tax environment, recreational opportunities and probably the biggest would be employees ability to get to work reliably. Arizona is one of the few places that doesn't have; floods, earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes etc.

Phoenix would seem to make good sense as a contender. Not sure why it isn't. Tucson to me is just too small to offer the assets of larger cities.

A major factor I think a city needs, is educational facilities to turn out quality employee candidates. Dallas and Atlanta both have multiple major colleges within and nearby. Austin has UT within and several more nearby. Plus all have high tech businesses which make for more resources. Dallas and Atlanta are also major national distribution hubs which plays right into Amazon's needs.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Phoenix would seem to make good sense as a contender. Not sure why it isn't. Tucson to me is just too small to offer the assets of larger cities.

A major factor I think a city needs, is educational facilities to turn out quality employee candidates. Dallas and Atlanta both have multiple major colleges within and nearby. Austin has UT within and several more nearby. Plus all have high tech businesses which make for more resources. Dallas and Atlanta are also major national distribution hubs which plays right into Amazon's needs.

The greater SE valley here is really heavily tech jobs. Intel has a gigantic plant and there are a multitude of support and other tech industries here. I find it odd, perhaps its political?

530RL

Reaction score
Arizona is 49th in education spending, 48th in quality of K-12 education, 39th in crime, 37th in college readiness out of 12th grade, 28th in healthcare, 50th in median pay for teachers and 36th or 37th overall median pay depending upon how one calculates median pay..

Arizona has less than one half of the number of public companies headquartered in Arizona than it did in 1985.

Good news is that we are 12th in infrastructure. :thumbsup

RodnJen

Reaction score
Arizona is 49th in education spending, 48th in quality of K-12 education, 39th in crime, 37th in college readiness out of 12th grade, 28th in healthcare, 50th in median pay for teachers and 36th or 37th overall median pay depending upon how one calculates median pay..

Arizona has less than one half of the number of public companies headquartered in Arizona than it did in 1985.

Those are some sobering numbers.

530RL

Reaction score
What a fuckin puke. Who built that throne you sit on. What are you going to do when yore toilet plugs and all your little brain dead pukes with degrees don't know anything of the real world. I made a good living with my hands and don't have one hour of higher education except for days and days of tech schools to fix your fricken boat, if you have one, because you have a hard trying to figure out how to put fuel in it. Hell, you might just pay some one to do it because you don't know how.
All you do is degrade people of the real world and think every young person should be a brain dead scholar that doesn't know shit. Let's see one of yore little shitheads repair the fricken helo you fly around in or better yet, try to refuel it.:finger:finger:finger

Clearly you have no idea what STEM is.

The whole point of teaching STEM starting in the early grades throughout high school is so that future generations are prepared to be able to do whatever they want to do, whether it be higher education or trade school, and so that as technology changes they have the foundation in STEM to remain employed and increase their standard of living if they so choose.

STEM has nothing to do with "scholars", it has to do with problem solving skills.

The great thing about STEM is that no matter what one wants to do, they can do it, whether it be plumbing your house or programming a computer.

Your anger is overrunning your brain.

Sandlord

Reaction score

Austin was the first place that I thought of.
Blue county in a red state, center of the country, underutilized airport, young population base with all the colleges and universities.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

The whole point of teaching STEM starting in the early grades throughout high school is so that future generations are prepared to be able to do whatever they want to do, whether it be higher education or trade school, and so that as technology changes they have the foundation in STEM to remain employed and increase their standard of living if they so choose.

STEM has nothing to do with "scholars", it has to do with problem solving skills.

The great thing about STEM is that no matter what one wants to do, they can do it, whether it be plumbing your house or programming a computer.

You presume that all people are created equal. You are wrong. Some have an innate ability for mechanical aptitude as well as the physical dexterity to perform tasks at the highest level. Precision by hand tools. Lathes. Ask anyone who works with electro-mechanical devices or who creates magic out of metal, there is a YUGE gap between knowing how to do something in your mind, and the ability to use a jack hammer to blow up 25' of concrete through out a home and lay in a new sewer line, with the exact slope and dimensions necessary for long term functionality.

There will always be those people who test well, but when thrust into the actual environment fail completely. No education can substitute for real world apprenticeships and mentoring. Even at the highest levels of knowledge, unless you have someone to bounce idea's off of who are your physical and intellectual equal, you will stagnate in your chosen environment unless you have that support system.

STEM is an add-on to subsidize the horrific education system that we have allowed to evolve. I was educated in STEM just being part of the normal curriculum in school. Obviously that is no longer the case.

Public schools no longer have any Vocational studies anymore, and those things such as History and Math are optional it seems. Go ahead, read your children's History book and compare it to what you learned. It's like giant pages of history are being re-written.

It is a horrific failure of our society to allow political and governmental adjustments to the process of raising and providing education to children.

I digress however. My point being that STEM skills only fill a partial gap in our process to evolve as a greater society.

RodnJen

Reaction score
"Go ahead, read your children's History book and compare it to what you learned. It's like giant pages of history are being re-written."

What did Texas ever do to you? ;)

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score

What gives you the idea I thought Tucson was a contender? [emoji57]

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
What gives you the idea I thought Tucson was a contender? [emoji57]

IMG_0508.JPG

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

What is stupid is that CA is around 5th in education spending and only 43rd or low 40s in k-12 quality.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
What happened to your little parrot meme, did you finally realize the parrot is YOU repeating my words? [emoji38]
That's all you know is to wait for someone else(usually your own kin here) to post something then rearrange the words a little bit as if they were your own. [emoji57]

Shameus is standing by.
Waiting for something halfway literate to come from your hammered keyboard !

IMG_0510.JPG

thetub

Reaction score
What is stupid is that CA is around 5th in education spending and only 43rd or low 40s in k-12 quality.

those are sobering numbers...

what i remember is the US as a country ranks #1 in spending and ranks 25th in education behind countries , which spend a fraction of what we do...

the healthcare industry is the same...

throwing money at it does not solve the problem...

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Rut roh!!!:skull

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tem-in-public-schools/?utm_term=.886d2c001e30