WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wondering about the Howard 255? Here ya go!

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Maybe Howard means entry level to the Howard Performance line. Get you hooked on a entry level Howard deck, so as your income grows you step it up to the 288 sport deck. Much like what BMW & Mercedes does with their entry level models. Sell them cheap to make you brand loyal. I know $130-150K is not cheap by any means, but it is to Howard.

Enen

Reaction score
Volvo Penta offers a 6.2/430 horsepower. Is the 6.2L block completely different between Merc and Volvo?

And, Is it blasphemous to rig a performance boat with Volvo marine engines these days?

How about this. What if you rigged this boat with the VP 6.2/430 w/forward drive dual prop. Would this then be the ultimate watersports boat?

Or, am I just high?

Volvo is now a Chinese owned company. Personally their stuff could be sent from heaven, but I'd never know, because based on that fact alone, I'd never run it.

the510

Reaction score
Maybe Howard means entry level to the Howard Performance line. Get you hooked on a entry level Howard deck, so as your income grows you step it up to the 288 sport deck. Much like what BMW & Mercedes does with their entry level models. Sell them cheap to make you brand loyal. I know $130-150K is not cheap by any means, but it is to Howard.

I do not agree with labeling this boat as an "entry level" model. Nothing of Howard should be considered "entry level". This model as with every other model is built for a specific purpose. This boat is built for family fun. Mike has clearly defined its purpose. It has most of the amenities and conveniences of a larger deck boat, but is designed to perform more like a wakeboard boat. It achieves all this without sacrificing cruising and top end speed. If you want something bigger faster and more spacious then the 288, SDS, sportdeck, and even the 28 Bullet would be your next option.

As for Mercedes Benz, BMW, ETC. they have so many different models, and trim levels its sick. They even make cars with cloth seats! it use to be that you can gauge someone by the kind of car they drive. Not the case anymore. People must laugh at me. I drive a 17 year old excursion.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
I do not agree with labeling this boat as an "entry level" model. Nothing of Howard should be considered "entry level". This model as with every other model is built for a specific purpose. This boat is built for family fun. Mike has clearly defined its purpose. It has most of the amenities and conveniences of a larger deck boat, but is designed to perform more like a wakeboard boat. It achieves all this without sacrificing cruising and top end speed. If you want something bigger faster and more spacious then the 288, SDS, sportdeck, and even the 28 Bullet would be your next option.

As for Mercedes Benz, BMW, ETC. they have so many different models, and trim levels its sick. They even make cars with cloth seats! it use to be that you can gauge someone by the kind of car they drive. Not the case anymore. People must laugh at me. I drive a 17 year old excursion.

I meant no disrespect to Howard or Howard owners. Spent the weekend on a 28 bullet. Love the boat the ride and the quality put into building it. I for one would have the boat of my dreams a 288 sport deck if I could afford it. Btw I drive a worn out 10yr old F250 :lmao

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I believe the Volvo 6.2 is an LS based engine and the Merc is their own design of a tweaked SBC?

Better option yet, get an LSA and say fuck the possible loss of drive warranty and throw a series of
Bravos behind it.

Fixed.

the510

Reaction score
I meant no disrespect to Howard or Howard owners. Spent the weekend on a 28 bullet. Love the boat the ride and the quality put into building it. I for one would have the boat of my dreams a 288 sport deck if I could afford it. Btw I drive a worn out 10yr old F250 :lmao

haha I Know you didn't!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Have patience guys.. I have to write 2 articles today (Shockwave / Billy B) and then I'm starting the 255 Article tonight. We took it out, drove the hell out of it. I have on board video of all of it, and the article will answer all the questions.

If you are wondering though, the short version is it's a kick in the ass to drive and setup with that little 350 it's the perfect family fun boat. It's literally as much fun as my 21 RC. Turns hard, great midrange, runs good in rough water. Not a lot of downsides that I saw.

RD

milkmoney

Reaction score
Price of new boats , has discourage me to no end.
Yes , Howard, Hallett, Nordic, DCB, eliminator etc etc, all great and good products at their own level , so not a dig on any manufacture
[emoji202]

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Price of new boats , has discourage me to no end.
Yes , Howard, Hallett, Nordic, DCB, eliminator etc etc, all great and good products at their own level , so not a dig on any manufacture
[emoji202]

You can't buy anything of quality for less than 125 now..

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
This whole cash for toys is a real pain in the ass lol. By the time I can build my dream boat I can buy two vacation houses and be cash positive. [emoji174]

Go with the houses.....

I'm at the 90%/40% portion of my life.....If I can have 90% of the fun spending 40% of the $$$$ sign me up...lol

Some of my best days on the water were on a shitty pontoon a crappy fishing boat or riding as a boat bitch.:eek:champagne::p

milkmoney

Reaction score
You can't buy anything of quality for less than 125 now..
And does that disappoint you at all , or bother you like it does me ???
Regardless if you can afford it or not or what brand it is

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Volvo is now a Chinese owned company. Personally their stuff could be sent from heaven, but I'd never know, because based on that fact alone, I'd never run it.

Oh shit...Forget it then. The piston rings and scrapers are probably made from lead and beryllium copper:eek

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Go with the houses.....

I'm at the 90%/40% portion of my life.....If I can have 90% of the fun spending 40% of the $$$$ sign me up...lol

Some of my best days on the water were on a shitty pontoon a crappy fishing boat or riding as a boat bitch.:eek:champagne::p

LOL, I've said just this for years..

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Let's see them.

Shockwave Tremor or 22 deck. Tahiti 247, Cobra Razor 230

The Howard is cool not doubt. But if we are talking 25 ish foot boats that can do 65 MPH, your choices are vast.

I could buy a 270 Python deck with an 8.2 HO for a little more than this thing costs, and probably about the same with a bigger engine in the Howard.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
When Howard first announced the 255 VTX, I believe the price estimate was in the mid 80's with Mercury 6.2 power. I can't believe the base price has jumped to 125k. Howard just shrank their potential customer base for this boat by half.

At $100k in this configuration, I could be convinced. I see the throughful design and detail. Much more than that there are better options.

hallett21

Reaction score
When Howard first announced the 255 VTX, I believe the price estimate was in the mid 80's with Mercury 6.2 power. I can't believe the base price has jumped to 125k. Howard just shrank their potential customer base for this boat by half.

Problem is even by those numbers they are still making 45k more a unit. That's assuming they could turn a profit at 80k.

I'd take an extra 45k all day long rather than try to make it up in volume.

If they have a waiting list that price won't move for a while I bet.

hallett21

Reaction score
Where is this hull measured? With the swim step and walk off part of the bow looks like this is closer to 23ish ft of running surface? Is that pretty accurate?

Sbarry

Reaction score
Deck boats?

You could buy two of these for $125k... your idea of "quality" may be skewed from riding on so many multi-$100k floats.
IMG_1339.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You could buy two of these for $125k... your idea of "quality" may be skewed from riding on so many multi-$100k floats.
View attachment 587758

Lol.. probably so.

That said the 25 Rage is a good comparison for people hauling and capacity for sure. It's not a deck though.

Not sure why but Deck's have always commanded a premium in price over vees and typical run about.

Sbarry

Reaction score
Lol.. probably so.

That said the 25 Rage is a good comparison for people hauling and capacity for sure. It's not a deck though.

Not sure why but Deck's have always commanded a premium in price over vees and typical run about.

I get what you're saying... any Deck 26'+ with modest options and stock power is gonna be pushing minimum $120k these days.

For the record, I wasn't seriously comparing my boat to this Howard. I can already hear the Howard cheerleaders stewing.... [emoji849]

"NOEXCUSES"

Reaction score
I have to applaud them(HOWARD) for rolling the dice on this project. I dont care for the looks from all angles but Ive seen worst. But the performance if its real is outstanding! Hows the water ski wake? I saw the part about the big wake with no tabs or bags.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I get what you're saying... any Deck 26'+ with modest options and stock power is gonna be pushing minimum $120k these days.

For the record, I wasn't seriously comparing my boat to this Howard. I can already hear the Howard cheerleaders stewing.... [emoji849]
Nope, no stewing at all. The words from Mike to me were "entry level boat, under $100k."

Obviously that isn't the case anymore and if we want to get started on quality, I am definitely not saying that Howard is the best on the block right now.

At this point I am going to price out the Howard and wait to see how the 26 at Interceptor performs, then price it out.

I actually have a line on a 2000 Howard 26 Cat that is a walk through Open Bow with steering on the right side!! We might give that a whirl.......

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol.. probably so.

Because decks are the trend, and there are very few sub 26 foot decks on the market.

Sbarry

Reaction score
Nope, no stewing at all. The words from Mike to me were "entry level boat, under $100k."

Obviously that isn't the case anymore and if we want to get started on quality, I am definitely not saying that Howard is the best on the block right now.

At this point I am going to price out the Howard and wait to see how the 26 at Interceptor performs, then price it out.

I actually have a line on a 2000 Howard 26 Cat that is a walk through Open Bow with steering on the right side!! We might give that a whirl.......

Wasn't talking about you, brotha... I know you're open to other brands. [emoji1360]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The LSA spins another 1000 RPM, that is the problem.
I've seen MANY other applications with a stock XR with far more extreme engines that survive just fine. And keep in mind, this isn't a 28' tunnel that is flown to 100+. It's a lighter weight 25' boat that uses some air entrapment to reduce drag but not lift the entire boat out of the water. I'd betcha an XR, or better yet maybe a bravo 3 XR, would hold up just fine and would be a fantastic package.

H2O

Reaction score
Nice boat!

Growing up in the 70's my family had a couple of the smaller version of those, back when we used to call them Glastron Tri Hulls.

Family of 5 in a 16 footer, no problem!

Attachments

• 68gl-aqualift-info-medres.jpg
    68gl-aqualift-info-medres.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 32

hallett21

Reaction score
I've seen MANY other applications with a stock XR with far more extreme engines that survive just fine. And keep in mind, this isn't a 28' tunnel that is flown to 100+. It's a lighter weight 25' boat that uses some air entrapment to reduce drag but not lift the entire boat out of the water. I'd betcha an XR, or better yet maybe a bravo 3 XR, would hold up just fine and would be a fantastic package.

Doesn't the drive have problems lubricating itself at that rpm?

hallett21

Reaction score

Don't all the engines merc sends out with a bravo XR have a max RPM of 5200?

Thought one of the resident drive builders on here said that at the 6k + mark the B1s start to have trouble.

Edit: point of the merc rpm was that's what they have the drive spinning at. And they warranty the drives behind their motor.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Don't all the engines merc sends out with a bravo XR have a max RPM of 5200?

Thought one of the resident drive builders on here said that at the 6k + mark the B1s start to have trouble.

I don't think any of the bravo drives survive long term above 6k.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

It is not the power, it is the RPM. Find a 6200 RPM engine that comes with a Bravo.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score

Both of us waiting on performance #s on the Interceptor.