WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV's good, bad ugly?

Laveytunnel21

Reaction score
Hope all you fellow River Rats are doing well and having a kick ass summer, Been a slow summer for me but looking forward to a 5 Day Parker trip Mid October, first trip with my Son who is now 3 months!

Sounds like my In Laws are looking into buying a place in Havasu, so I don't see a need to look into anything like that for awhile, and that brings me to this post...

Hoping to get some help and opinions from you all, here is the quick situation, the wife and I are talking about buying a Motorhome, Used and trying to stay below 40k, hopefully closer to 30... We love going to the river, Lake Nacimiento, the beach, and the desert. Right now we have a 21ft Lavey, we likely will upgrade in the next two years to a 24/25ft Lavey/Commander/Eliminator/Nordic, you get the idea...

In the desert camping we will be towing a flat trailer with a VW buggy and bikes, maybe step into a 20ft enclosed when the time is right..

I want to make sure whatever we buy will last us a good 5-10 years and can tow the boat / enclosed and keep us cool even on the hot nights at the river.. I am leaning towards a Class A but could be swayed towards a class C if it makes more sense, I don't know if there is an advantage between the Chevy 8.1 workhorse or the Ford V-10? Should that change my search??

I know I can't afford a diesel unless I go really old and would like to stay 04 or newer... Would like at least one slide... Would like to have a dinette and sofa, probably means 28ft +

I worry that if i get up to 35ft or so the coach ways a lot and probably hard on the motor to also tow?

Anyone have any brands they would say are absolute no go? Bad experience? Fleetwood, Thor, Pace, Monaco, Georgetown, Isac....

I feel like I should stay under 50k miles, is that something I made up in my head or do things really start to go?

Any answers or input would be awesome! Thanks Everyone!!!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I have a 32 foot Aerbus with a BBC, tows a 5K boat decent. By itself, it runs pretty good for a coach.

When you get some "A", you never go back. I have had both and I will never own a C again.

If you've never been in a C, you need to check it out, the bonnet where the engine sits and the overhead isn't for everyone.

I haven't been around a v10 to make an argument in that regard, although our next coach will either be, or we will step up to a diesel coach. I don't think there are any coaches with a BBC anymore.

Brian

Hope all you fellow River Rats are doing well and having a kick ass summer, Been a slow summer for me but looking forward to a 5 Day Parker trip Mid October, first trip with my Son who is now 3 months!

Sounds like my In Laws are looking into buying a place in Havasu, so I don't see a need to look into anything like that for awhile, and that brings me to this post...

Hoping to get some help and opinions from you all, here is the quick situation, the wife and I are talking about buying a Motorhome, Used and trying to stay below 40k, hopefully closer to 30... We love going to the river, Lake Nacimiento, the beach, and the desert. Right now we have a 21ft Lavey, we likely will upgrade in the next two years to a 24/25ft Lavey/Commander/Eliminator/Nordic, you get the idea...

In the desert camping we will be towing a flat trailer with a VW buggy and bikes, maybe step into a 20ft enclosed when the time is right..

I want to make sure whatever we buy will last us a good 5-10 years and can tow the boat / enclosed and keep us cool even on the hot nights at the river.. I am leaning towards a Class A but could be swayed towards a class C if it makes more sense, I don't know if there is an advantage between the Chevy 8.1 workhorse or the Ford V-10? Should that change my search??

I know I can't afford a diesel unless I go really old and would like to stay 04 or newer... Would like at least one slide... Would like to have a dinette and sofa, probably means 28ft +

I worry that if i get up to 35ft or so the coach ways a lot and probably hard on the motor to also tow?

Anyone have any brands they would say are absolute no go? Bad experience? Fleetwood, Thor, Pace, Monaco, Georgetown, Isac....

I feel like I should stay under 50k miles, is that something I made up in my head or do things really start to go?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I think used coaches are easy to find with 30-50k on them, they don't get driven much, our coach is a 96 and I think it is around the 50k mark.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can say stay away from the Ford v10 for sure. Towing with gas will cost a fortune no matter who's name plate you pick.

It's all personal preference after that...

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Funny the soon to be wife and I were talking motorhome talk the other night. I was assuming you could get a class a diesel with 50k miles for around 35k is that not the case? My biggest dilemma with a motor home is storage. I have no place to store it and that eats up the cost fast with rv storage

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I can say stay away from the Ford v10 for sure. Towing with gas will cost a fortune no matter who's name plate you pick. It's all personal preference after that...

Aw come on now....

My coach isn't that bad, fuck the boat still uses more fuel than anything really....:)

Measured in gallons per mile. ;)

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I can say stay away from the Ford v10 for sure. Towing with gas will cost a fortune no matter who's name plate you pick.

I feel like you would be better off with the BBC than the V10. We had to rev ours to the moon to get it tow anything. My experience with the BBC is that it produces torque much lower so you wont have to spin it as much. Definitely look for a diesel if you can swing it but if gas is in your future, try to find one with a BBC

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Funny the soon to be wife and I were talking motorhome talk the other night. I was assuming you could get a class a diesel with 50k miles for around 35k is that not the case? My biggest dilemma with a motor home is storage. I have no place to store it and that eats up the cost fast with rv storage

Ah, a diesel for 35K? I doubt it.

I think a diesel adds around 50K to the price, comparatively.

Brian

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Most all motorhomes built after 2005 are V10 powered......your basically telling him "dont buy a motorhome" lol

Im a chevy guy but i will say my V10 powered Class C with 4.56 gears pulled surprisingly hard

Laveytunnel21

Reaction score

From what I have seen Class A diesel that compares to Class A gas is about 20k more... only diesels I see are pre 2000 in that price range...

fmo24

Reaction score
We had a 32ft class a with the V10 and yes they need to be wound up. They are high reving engines. We recently got a new diesel and it is worlds apart with the engine 40 feet behind you. But a diesel in your price range is going to be older and all the electronics outdated in my opinion. Plus all the systems though coach may have low miles will be suspect. A motorhome is a rolling earthquake and stuff breaks. I would look for the newest gas, best quality coach you can afford.

Deano

Reaction score
I have a 36' winnebago journey with the cat diesel and am super happy with it.
I put exhaust and a programmer on it. Also did a few suspension upgrades (shocks, steering stabilizer, and airbag sway valves) It rides great, and doesn't change lanes on you
when passing or getting passed by semis.
It will tow my jeep wrangler down the freeway at 75 like nothing and gets 9mpg doing it. Nothing beats a diesel class A for towing and driving comfort.

WildHorses24

Reaction score

7.5 mpg isn't good?!! lol
My V10 has been good but it's night and day after the tuner. I'm just not used to it "screaming" all the time, I've been driving diesels for the past 10 years and about shit myself the first time it down shifted on a grade [emoji15]

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Most gassers sold in the last ten years have been Ford V10. I am not a Ford fan but that decision was made for me. :D

Ford made two versions of the V10. Get the one with higher HP. It runs better when its wound up. (Look at the HP ratings on new A's vs C's to see what I am talking about)

Watch the GCWR when loaded. I had to get 26000 GCWR to tow my boat with my RV otherwise I would be over. Hitches can be upgraded but not the GCWR

Open trailers are very light but enclosed are heavy when loaded. Don't underestimate it. My 22 enclosed is pushing 7000 lbs loaded but I have too much junk:p

They all get crappy gas mileage. Arguing about that is pointless. Have lots of gas money ready when you are traveling :p

Finally see if you can find the 2forceful videos on youtube regarding his RV testing. At the very least its entertaining

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I love looking at used motorhome cause eventually I want to get one as well. I prefer a class C because to me, unless you get a newer class A with a drop down bed, you have a coach that is 5' longer just for 2 driver seats. Brian's point of the engine cover, or bonnet, area being too tight I feel is kind of a moot point as all the engine compartments are tight unless maybe if you have a pusher or a super C. Plus, there are a lot more options with shorter C's than there are Ad's. And the shorter the coach, the easier to park, easier to back up trailers, fit in more campgrounds (specially at Naci), and cheaper/easier to store if you have to store away from your house.

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
Check out MHSRV in texas.. google it..

There used prices are pretty attractive...

Don't be too scared off with the V10 comments... The workhorse chassis with the BBC is not as common. If you can , get a hold of something with 22.5 wheels. you will thank yourself about 20 miles down the road.... the 17's & 19.5 wheels and tires are just about overloaded with the coach empty...

V10 is the most common set up your gonna find and there all slow up the hills towing. They all do just fine on the flats... the V10 does down shift at the slightest incline though... Most everything you will find will have 5k lb tow rating on it for the "a" and less on the "c".

at your price point , you could get a nicer class C than you can an A unless you come across that unicorn were all looking for....

The local lots around the OC and inland empire have some descent used stuff , but the dealers are still pretty proud of them.

Atleast 2 Ac's to keep you comfortable in the hottest months.

Happy Hunting!!

Mike

69hondo

Reaction score
I have 33 foot class A with the chevy vortech 454 and it pulls the boat fine. Its slow on the hills but not to bad. It pulled baker grade at 40 with the Eliminator fundeck behind it. It loves gas but its motor home. My dad and buddy both have class As with the ford V-10 and its good too but the early models like to shoot the spark plug out occasionally.

Attachments

• 20170716_123254.jpg
    20170716_123254.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 55

hav19

Big Member
Reaction score
I'm a Chevy Guy - But with that stated the only way I would buy a class A coach with a BBC would be something from the 1990's - in the late 1990's Work Horse Chassis bought out GM, for the first few years they used the old P-30 style chassis and parts are not that hard to get, but then they switched to the W-22 Chassis, now that Work Horse is No More, Chassis Parts and Especially Dash AC Parts are very hard to locate - Plus Work Horse part numbers will not interchange into anybody else's part numbers!:thumbsdown

The Ford F-53 Chassis with the V-10 (post 1999) has proven itself very well!!

Schhiadajones

Reaction score
I picked my 2003 holiday rambler 33' 2 years ago at the rv man in Colton ca. It has the 8.1 with alison trans love it so much smother than our 92 p30 454 and we went in like you wanted to stay at 30 we paid 33 but includes a 24 month warranty for anything on the motorhome. Good luck. They are out there we searched for a few months

kimbalee

Reaction score

Before we got our DP we had a Winnebago Adventurer 32ft class A with the V10 - we would still have it today if we didn't "outgrow" it - bigger boat, bigger enclosed desert trailer, bigger kids, bigger dogs! We researched for 2 years and found so many POS RV manufacturers and death traps with crazy death roll and seemed like they were made with particle board - we spoke to MANY owners and went to MANY "shows" and ended up with the Winnie - by far the most well made, house air, slides, onan gene, folding couches for the kids etc. etc. We bought it new and had very few teething problems (the interior colors were not the best as in dated but I think they have since improved their design dept). Our neighbor just bought a jayco (class c) and is currently looking for a lemon law attorney. It is the biggest pile of crap you can imagine. Winnebago will cost you a bit more but its worth it. You're not going to get 30mpg but its like our DP - doesn't matter how you drive you get 6mpg lol. Good luck.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
After going through this in the last year, I had planned on a newer used 30' ish Class A, V10 is all that's out there unless you want something pretty old and dated. Anything 2-3 years old was all the money and not much cheaper than a new one for the most part.

I ended up with a 2017 Jayco Alante 31V, it's their entry level RV, but I'm real happy with it so far.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
The Ford V10 was designed to make power by being wound up to higher RPM's. So turn on the tow-haul mode, wind it up and let that baby sing. :thumbsup. Especially downhill.

Older used motorhomes need maintenance on the roof and seams. No big deal but it needs to be done. They sell the seam sealer and its easy to apply. Gotta keep it buttoned up or there will be issues

I required class A that could tow 30-32 feet and up to 10,000 lbs (usually 8000 lbs). What I found was there was few choices to stay legal.

The cheaper Diesels were underpowered and had the Alison 2500 or 2100 tranny which limited their towing. By the time the diesel pusher motor and tranny was upgraded so was the price and length. I was looking at Tiffins, Venetians and Arias in the $220-250k range. No thanks. :p. Same issue with used DP, either too long or underpowered.

I bought the 33' gas Class A and used the hundred thousand $ in savings on paying for gas :p

Incidentally my rig gets the same shitty MPG with and without towing the enclosed. Thats good news:grumble:

We are weekend warriors so it works for us. YMMV

EmpirE231

Reaction score
The ford V10's are very common... you just need to not be afraid to rev them to the moon on a grade.

I had a 2004 Thor hurricane 34' w/ the V10 as our first motor home, and the thing was great. great floor plan (one BIG slide)... I wasn't a huge fan of the handling in heavy wind (is a VERY common problem with gasser class A's) but other than that, it was great. They are a good value, as you can find a newer cleaner one for a lot less than a fleetwood or so on. before that, I almost bought a safari simba... also a good value class A, and they are built by monaco... was also impressed with these when we did the test drives.

the chevy platform is supposed to have a little more bottom end, and not need to rev as high... but they are harder to find (not that many made)

the V10 in a class A will tow no problem... you can't really tell much difference with the trailer there or not. I towed a flat bed with a sand car and kids toys on there... prob around 6-7K lbs no problem. My buddy tows the same stuff with an enclosed... so around 9-10k? way over what he is "supposed" to tow, but he says it does it no problem.

If you can find a fleetwood bounder or southwind in your price range, those are very nice.

TCHB

Reaction score
Aw come on now....

My coach isn't that bad, fuck the boat still uses more fuel than anything really....:)

Measured in gallons per mile. ;)

I agree. My RV 2017 V10 does pretty good considering what it is pulling. I got 8MPG last trip out.
Gasoline is noise when considering a RV

EmpirE231

Reaction score
One other big thing when looking used... is make sure the thing was USED. If you find a 2005 motor home with 5K miles on the odometer...you might be worse off than one that has 20K miles. these generators need to be used and maintained, same with anything else on the RV. also, depending on who you are buying it from.... most issues get resolved by people who actually use the RV's, rather than let them sit.

My buddy bought brand new from the dealership, and he has had way more problems with his , than the 2 used rigs I've bought.

CHECK date codes on the tires... if they are 5-7 years old... I would replace them. trust me... front tire blow out in a motorhome is not fun :eek

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I agree. My RV 2017 V10 does pretty good considering what it is pulling. I got 8MPG last trip out.
Gasoline is noise when considering a RV

anyone who tells you they get great MPG in a RV doesn't know how to do math.

the V10 gasser I had did around 6-8MPG depending on how fast I was driving / grades / towing

the diesel I have now might get 8-9MPG at best, and sometimes down in the 6 range, again depending on the stuff above.

DLC

Reaction score
I had a 99 Winnie 35U w/ v10 2 slides and I just dumped it quick to a wholesaler guy, I got $13,000. Google RV wholesale and search there inventory as they have some good deals. The guy who bought ours was really nice and was really easy to deal with, my wife dealt with him and she was really impressed.

Difference between class A & C

A - has the higher towing rating, bigger tank capacity, more storage areas

If you have kids the class C is easier with the bed over the driving area, class A unless you get a bunk bed style floor plan you have to make beds every day/night out of the table & couch and that can be a pain in the butt.

Keep an eye on

the weight limits. Frt and rear axle weights and towing capacity
Water & tank sizes
Tires make sure the tires are fairly new, a new set is like $2000 to $2500, check the date on the side of the tire you will never wear out the tread

Most likely you will have to replace shocks and can add air bags if buying used
Look at the roof some come with a fiberglass and some have a poly type roof
Get a unit with 2 air units or plan on buy a new high efficiency unit
I ran 2 golf cart batts and a chassis battery and plan on replacing every 3to 5 yrs

When looking at coaches make sure you look close at the windows and windshield, middle end coaches come with dual pane glass windows and can develop a leak and then they fog up- expensive fix

I got a windshield leak and had to remove windshield and then treat for some rust around the steel windshield frame and then install a new windshield. When driving off pavement, say your headed to "the spot" in the desert the unit sways/moves around pretty good and I believe that's why I got my windshield leak.

Full body paint is way easier to maintain than white fiberglass as the fiberglass oxides and gets chalky

I could go on but this is the big items that I think of.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I found them all to be pieces of junk. Especially mine. :p

Some are just nicer looking pieces of junk than others. :D

Shit mine is in the shop now cuz the door latch broke.

Anyway I was all set to buy a new DP this year. Looked them all over and picked one out. But to me no matter how much one spends they all have some junky aspect to them.

In the end I said fawk it and bought the speedster instead.:thumbsup

Now I am broke but happy :D

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky then, I am on #4.

Brian

I found them all to be pieces of junk. Especially mine. :p

Some are just nicer looking pieces of junk than others. :D

Shit mine is in the shop now cuz the door latch broke.

Anyway I was all set to buy a new DP this year. Looked them all over and picked one out. But to me no matter how much one spends they all have some junky aspect to them.

In the end I said fawk it and bought the speedster instead.:thumbsup

Now I am broke but happy :D

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Exactly.

On a long trip buying 80 gallons of gas 2 or three times in a row I don't really notice that I have given up 2 mpg:p

The shock of buying 250 gallons of gas blurs those minor distinctions :D

anyone who tells you they get great MPG in a RV doesn't know how to do math.

the V10 gasser I had did around 6-8MPG depending on how fast I was driving / grades / towing

the diesel I have now might get 8-9MPG at best, and sometimes down in the 6 range, again depending on the stuff above.

jones performance

Reaction score
a freind of mine recently sold his toyhauler and picked up a nice used super c moho. said its the best decision he made with an rv. he bought one with a duramax in it.

minijeep

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, we bought a class A southwind with the 8.1l Allison a few years back. We absolutely love it. Deciding factor for us were class A has large storage tank for dry camping 100 fresh and 40/40. Most class C's will have small tanks. It has large storage bins under the coach and in some models will be pass through, most is any class C will be small and no pass through. The drives and passenger area become part of the living area when camping. Class C the drivers and passengers area do not turn around. This isn't to say them at class C motor homes are bad. If you have kids the area above the drivers and passengers area is usually a bed, so one less thing to deal with if you have kids. As for towing hey will all tow about the same, more than likely you will be over GVW in all cases, although I believe some models of super C's are related for 10k towing. As for Ford vs Chevy. The deciding factor there is the Allison transmission and early v10's had spark plug issues that can get expensive. I'm like you I didn't want another house payment for a toy so I was in the 04,05, 06 range and I believe the three valve v10 wasn't until 06 and not all 06's are three valve so 8.1 was the logical choice. It was a little harder to find but I'm very happy With it. The work horse chassis have a brake recall so make sure that is done if you go that direction. They will lock up on you and you can't go anywhere and any damage to rotors is on you.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
You can stay in REALLY nice hotels for the amount of $ you will spend to buy, maintain, insure, store, etc......... I get it, there aren't always hotels.......... If you find yourself in a position where you HAVE to have a MH, rent one!

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
You can stay in REALLY nice hotels for the amount of $ you will spend to buy, maintain, insure, store, etc......... I get it, there aren't always hotels.......... If you find yourself in a position where you HAVE to have a MH, rent one!

Renting is a great option, unfortunately, seems like all the big companies won't let you tow, so if I want to bring my offroad car with me, renting is not an option.

Laveytunnel21

Reaction score
Most gassers sold in the last ten years have been Ford V10. I am not a Ford fan but that decision was made for me. :D

Ford made two versions of the V10. Get the one with higher HP. It runs better when its wound up. (Look at the HP ratings on new A's vs C's to see what I am talking about)

Watch the GCWR when loaded. I had to get 26000 GCWR to tow my boat with my RV otherwise I would be over. Hitches can be upgraded but not the GCWR

Open trailers are very light but enclosed are heavy when loaded. Don't underestimate it. My 22 enclosed is pushing 7000 lbs loaded but I have too much junk:p

They all get crappy gas mileage. Arguing about that is pointless. Have lots of gas money ready when you are traveling :p

Finally see if you can find the 2forceful videos on youtube regarding his RV testing. At the very least its entertaining

Great Info!!!! Thank you very much!

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score

Some get it, and some don't. :)

It ain't for everyone.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I have a Super C, with the 8.1/allison combo. I love it. Its on the kodiak 5500 chassis. I have towed 10Klbs with it, and it gets ~6.5-7.5 mpg depending on where I'm towing. Empty it weighs just under 20K and I get 8-8.5. Also, I live at 5Kft elevation, so I am already at a disadvantage, and have routinely towed 10K over 10,000ft elevation. It does good, just gotta let it do its thing with your foot to the floor.

My dad had a 35' windsong with the V10. It was the older 2000 model, and it ran fantastic too. Had 5.38 gears, got the same mileage as my 8.1, was louder however. On some shorter hills he could pull on me due to being able to hold a gear longer, but on longer grades I would slowly out pull him. I would say it was 50/50, equal performance and mpg.

He sold the Windsong and got a Supernova Super C because he liked mine. He wanted a diesel. He got the VT365. It still gets the exact same mileage as me. He does a tad bit better when we are above like ~8Kft elevation, but aside from that there are still places where my 8.1 will leave him.

I have come to realize, that ~8-10mpg is just a reality when it comes to RV's of any kind. My 5.9 Cummins gets that towing my 5th wheel, my brother in laws 6.7 Cummins gets that towing his toy hauler, etc. My buddy has a ~38' excursion with the 350 cummins in it. He uses just about as much fuel as I do at the pump, and there are hills that I can pull on him (I realize he is heavier than me by far, but still...)

Buy something. Use it.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I tried to get a Super C with the Duramax. Great combo IMHO. :thumbup: They tow 10,000#'s, great floorplan.

The Super C with a diesel would be ideal combo for me. :thumbup:

But now they are all over 37' in length. :p I need something less than 34'.

One or two companies made a floor plan for 2 or 3 years that was 34.' But they stopped making it. Now its very hard to find. :(

Now there is a Dynamax Dodge Cummins that even has 4x4 available but same deal, too long. Can't win. :p

Laveytunnel21

Reaction score
So much good information guys.

This should help my search out and get me closer to locking in on something. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty on maintenance, as I have never had my vehicles or boat in any shop other than for a recall. I do all my own work so those little things that come up don't bother me. Good to hear about the "Let the v-10 rev" I have heard that before but it wasn't from a source I really believed...

My parents have a 38 Monaco DP that I convinced them to pull the trigger on, they couldn't be happier.

The fuel thing I am on board with, I mean my 2016 6.7 got 10.5 towing a 34ft hauler to Napa and back last September, gets around 15 with the boat. Problem is its hard to take a boat and a trailer.. And to be honest I probably would only take the MH to the river once a year. Renting a house in the keys and staying at someones in Havasu will still happen. Other than that towing to Naci or the desert isn't that many miles to really be over concerned.

Hotels are cool, but its just not the same, they have a place and time but its just not something I can compare to the "Glamping" experience.

If anyone see's anything they feel is a screaming deal don't hesitate to post a link, I am not in a major rush but will pull the trigger on the right buy.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I tried to get a Super C with the Duramax. Great combo IMHO. :thumbup: They tow 10,000#'s, great floorplan.

The Super C with a diesel would be ideal combo for me. :thumbup:

But now they are all over 37' in length. :p I need something less than 34'.

One or two companies made a floor plan for 2 or 3 years that was 34.' But they stopped making it. Now its very hard to find. :(

Now there is a Dynamax Dodge Cummins that even has 4x4 available but same deal, too long. Can't win. :p

If you don't mind spending bookoo bucks, Showhauler can build you a super c exactly to your specs.

Also LaveTunnel21, have you looked into adding a truck camper to your truck? Still have the ability to tow a boat and a trailer with offroad toys and much more affordable and easier to work with logistically. Depending on how many people usually camp with you it could be a better option than a MH.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Since you mentioned desert camping Id rethink the diesel proposition and Either save a few more duckets, or roll back a few years.

The diesel superiority isnt just in its ride, economy, power - or necessarily the coach part of the equation

Its about the ecosystem.

IF you are a dry camper having a diesel infrastructure means you can run a diesel genset - a vastly superior and more economical power source for a campsite than a gasoline RV genset that drink like soldiers and have short lifespans if you use them.

When I go to glamis or nacimiento or other lakes without hookups - we'll run the genset for about 16 hours a day only killing it around midnight and firing it up in the am - my RV usually powers 2-3 other either gas RV's or trailer toyhaulers because I can run it like that for a week on a little more than an 8th and always less than a quarter of a tank. With all the shit going on in and out of camp with various group people want an electrically hot site with AC and enough power to run appliances lights and all your and your family and friends " stuff".

I can drive to glamis towing - run a genset all week long- tow all the way back home - and have 1/4 tank remaining.

You'll run a gas motorhome dry in a few days like that and be into your toy reserves to keep the campsite electrons flowing and on your trip you will have to stop for gas all loaded up which is usually a fuck'n pain with all that except for a few places that may or may not meet your range requirement.

UD

Laveytunnel21

Reaction score
Since you mentioned desert camping Id rethink the diesel proposition and Either save a few more duckets, or roll back a few years.

The diesel superiority isnt just in its ride, economy, power - or necessarily the coach part of the equation

Its about the ecosystem.

IF you are a dry camper having a diesel infrastructure means you can run a diesel genset - a vastly superior and more economical power source for a campsite than a gasoline RV genset that drink like soldiers and have short lifespans if you use them.

When I go to glamis or nacimiento or other lakes without hookups - we'll run the genset for about 16 hours a day only killing it around midnight and firing it up in the am - my RV usually powers 2-3 other either gas RV's or trailer toyhaulers because I can run it like that for a week on a little more than an 8th and always less than a quarter of a tank. With all the shit going on in and out of camp with various group people want an electrically hot site with AC and enough power to run appliances lights and all your and your family and friends " stuff".

I can drive to glamis towing - run a genset all week long- tow all the way back home - and have 1/4 tank remaining.

You'll run a gas motorhome dry in a few days like that and be into your toy reserves to keep the campsite electrons flowing and on your trip you will have to stop for gas all loaded up which is usually a fuck'n pain with all that except for a few places that may or may not meet your range requirement.

UD

Sounds like I can plug in to you or my pops and save the fuel and gene life! HAHA, Those are some good things to think about... I will probably look at the Diesel market again and see what might come up.

Oh and since you mentioned it.. Group of us including the newest Micheletti and Grandma and Grampa will be in Glamis from Nov 9th to the 13th, since I don't think you are planning on Parker, make the Sand trip happen!

RCDave

Reaction score
There are mid sized diesels that fit the bill. Look for 34-36' Tiffin Phaeton/bus, Alpine coach, and Country Coaches. The all have great layouts, lots of pass through storage, quality chassis and build, and large fuel/water/waste tank capacities.

All while having cat and cummins engines mated to Allison 3000 6 speed transmission. Generally they have 10,000 tow ratings/hitched.

I have a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 35dh. Great coach. I pull a boat. Don't even feel it back there. Pulls a tag car with ease. 865lb ft of torque. 8-9 mpg. 100 gallon diesel tank equates to excellent range. Diesel genset sips fuel and is very quiet.

Some of the Alpines have a 1,200 lb ft cummins. The country coaches with cat c9 or c11 engine. The Tiffin bus 36 has the 8.9 cummins with 1250 ft lbs. Even some of the Phaeton have Mercedes diesels with 1000 ft lbs

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Sounds like I can plug in to you or my pops and save the fuel and gene life! HAHA, Those are some good things to think about... I will probably look at the Diesel market again and see what might come up.

Oh and since you mentioned it.. Group of us including the newest Micheletti and Grandma and Grampa will be in Glamis from Nov 9th to the 13th, since I don't think you are planning on Parker, make the Sand trip happen!
Wait a minute..... is this Bobby?