WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2017 Key West SBI World Offshore Races and FPC Poker Run...Who's in?

Tank

Reaction score
It's official - SBI and FPC officially announced they have no plans of cancelling either event. Key West Poker Run and Races are a go! :thumbsup:thumbsup

So, who's in?

we're booked Wed - Sunday. Great times as always, if you've never gone, I highly recommend it.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
It's official - SBI and FPC officially announced they have no plans of cancelling either event. Key West Poker Run and Races are a go! :thumbsup:thumbsup

So, who's in?

we're booked Wed - Sunday. Great times as always, if you've never gone, I highly recommend it.

Pretty sure Dave and I are still in. Some of our crew backed out. I was going to give it another week and make the call.

Tank

Reaction score
Pretty sure Dave and I are still in. Some of our crew backed out. I was going to give it another week and make the call.

Well, it's still on like donkey kong. Stu is all in as are SBI.

Tank

Reaction score
Here's some pics from years past to get people pumped :eek:thumbsup:skull:skull 3333.JPG IMG_3430.JPG IMG_3418.JPG IMG_2103.jpg IMG_1983.JPG IMG_1980.JPG IMG_1953.JPG IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1925.JPG IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1874.JPG FullSizeRender4.jpg FullSizeRender2.jpg FullSizeRender1.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3436.JPG

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looking forward to it! We are taking the Lucky Strike from Cape Coral down to the keys! I can't wait!

RD

catman

Reaction score
We are still in and were going no matter what happen with the poker run/races.Gilberts lunch run is still not confirmed.They are making great progress so we will see.Stu is looking for a plan B for the stop.Most of the boats can make it all the way to KW on fuel so there might not be a stop if no plan B.

Flying out 11/6 to 11/22.It's going to be heartbreaking driving down Overseas Hwy and seeing all the carnage for sure.Going to see how the worst areas are then and bring what ever supplies we can..

Hope to see some RDPers down there..

Tank

Reaction score
We are still in and were going no matter what happen with the poker run/races.Gilberts lunch run is still not confirmed.They are making great progress so we will see.Stu is looking for a plan B for the stop.Most of the boats can make it all the way to KW on fuel so there might not be a stop if no plan B.

Flying out 11/6 to 11/22.It's going to be heartbreaking driving down Overseas Hwy and seeing all the carnage for sure.Going to see how the worst areas are then and bring what ever supplies we can..

Hope to see some RDPers down there..

Looks like Gilberts got about 1 foot to 16" of flooding from the pics I saw. The pool didn't even get flooded. I don't know how bad that is to clean. As you know, everything is up off the ground around there. I don't think anything would really get that damaged. Just gotta clean up the sand and muck that I presume would be there.

We're flying straight into KW, though I offered to drive anyones empty truck and trailer down if need be. We have a little layover in Lauderdale so figured if someone needed their stuff to get down there we could do it...Done it before. :thumbsup

Tank

Reaction score
Gilbert's a couple days after storm IMG_9861.jpg

For anyone reading this that doesn't know where this is, it's about 50 miles south of Miami in key largo and has been the lunch / fuel stop for nearly every poker run for the last 25 years. It's the same place in the pics I posted above of all the boats side tied. Hopefully they get the place cleaned up and the lunch stop can still be there.

catman

Reaction score
Gilbert's a couple days after storm View attachment 587810

For anyone reading this that doesn't know where this is, it's about 50 miles south of Miami in key largo and has been the lunch / fuel stop for nearly every poker run for the last 25 years. It's the same place in the pics I posted above of all the boats side tied. Hopefully they get the place cleaned up and the lunch stop can still be there.

Tank,
There is some pics on there Facebook page of them cleaning up.All the sand is cleaned up and put where it should go.They were even stocking the bar and cleaning that up.I would say they will be open very soon.Check it out...
https://www.facebook.com/gilbertsresort/

We are flying into fll and staying a few days at the Lago Mar.A resort on the beach in south Lauderdale.

Tank

Reaction score
Tank,
There is some pics on there Facebook page of them cleaning up.All the sand is cleaned up and put where it should go.They were even stocking the bar and cleaning that up.I would say they will be open very soon.Check it out...
https://www.facebook.com/gilbertsresort/

We are flying into fll and staying a few days at the Lago Mar.A resort on the beach in south Lauderdale.

I figured that place would clean up quick. Most likely the lunch stops will happen there.

you driving down after Lauderdale?

catman

Reaction score
Driving down 11/8 or 11/9.If we drive down on the 9th we will be stopping at Gilberts even if they don't have the lunch stop there.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Got Dock assignment today from Stock Island Marina B-6 Baby right up front...Status Quote on the rest...Weather Looks OK..For now:eek
Fuel Delivery on Wed the 8th Dockside in the afternoon..BOOZE CRUISE WED NIGHT ...Pack Boat....(coolers) on Thursday...Blast Down Fri Morning...Cant Wait for this Run:thumbsup

Tank

Reaction score
Saturday to the sand bar bro! Save me 4 spots. AJ, Taylor, Kelly and I. [emoji6][emoji106]

DaBank

Reaction score
I have wanted to go for a long time, but never make it. I think that might change this year. Where is the best place to stay and enjoy the activities having no boat? Frank

Tank

Reaction score
I have wanted to go for a long time, but never make it. I think that might change this year. Where is the best place to stay and enjoy the activities having no boat? Frank

That's one of the coolest things about this run; you don't need a boat like other poker runs.

Depending on what you want to do, how long you want to stay and how much you want to spend is what it al comes down to. I would recommend Thursday through Sunday. Take the red eye and land Thursday morning in lauderdale or Miami. Grab a rental car and head down the 1. The drive is spectacular and everyone should do it t least once. If you do it this trip you'll get a first hand account of the hurricane damage.

Thursday around 11:30 / 12 the poker run will pull into the Hyatt faro blanco in key largo (about an hour south of miami) Most likely 75 boats or so and some seriously impressive hardware will pull into the docks for lunch. It's cool to stop for lunch and check out the docks and hang for an hour or so with everyone. The pics I posted of all the boats side tied is at gilberts for the lunch stop. Gilbert's was changed to Hyatt this year because of storm damage but same thing.

They'll get going around 1:30 2 for the rest of the run to KW. you can drive the rest of the way over the 7 mile bridge and all the cool keys. Roll into KW around 4:30/5, get to where you're staying, park your car and never drive it again until you drive back to catch your flight out.

You need to check on availability for places to stay right now. Check a map. The pier house is basically poker run central and the races go right across the front. We usually just rent a house off of Duvall. Everything is in walking distance. Look at a map and get anything close to Duvall or front street and you're fine. If you find something and have a question just shoot me a PM and I can tell you what you're in for.

Thursday night is the offshoreonly speed on the water party across the street from sloppy joes. GREAT party.

Friday try to get a table at the pier or make your way down to bite marina and you can watch the races. The pics of the race boats running past close to the shore is from the pier. They run so close to the shore through there it seems like you can reach out and touch them as they're blasting past at 100mph.

Wet pits and dry pits are in the cruise line marina south east area of the island.

Friday night is the Duvall street party. They line up all the boats and there's literally thousands of people partying. It's like part New Orleans carnival part havasu street party. It's goes for probably a mile or so flanked by all the popular bars that are wide open to the street like sloppy joes, Irish Kevin's, ricks, hogsbreath etc. you WILL get your drunk on that night. The pics I posted of the huge crowds in the street are of the street parade / party.

Saturday, there's no races and poker runners boat out to the sand bar to tie up and party. Now, this I've never actually made it to even though we've had rides set in the past on an 80 Nortech, canopied MTI, 46 cigarette, brand new center consoles, etc. reason is, after partying for about 2 days straight on only a couple hours sleep, we tend to not be able to wake up. 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️ hoping to rally and get out there with AJ, RD and crew this year though. Saturday night is just more partying on Duvall street.

Sunday we head home. Hung the fuck over.

That's the trip I'd recommend for a first timer. Only thing you can consider deviating is flying into KW from Miami and not driving. We're flying directly in this year.

Another option, if you really want to do it up right, is to get on Offshore only and see if anyone has open seat for the poker run down on Thursday. Throw out there you'll help out with gas or something and usually people will oblige. It's 150 mile run down through the keys with 100 other offshore boats and it's fuckin EPIC. We've run down via boat countess times and it's just something everyone should experience. Here's a little taste of running through the mangroves.

[video=youtube_https;O_QrF3nQKL8]https://youtu.be/O_QrF3nQKL8[/video]

Hit me up if you need anything.

Tank

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
8 more days till I fly to the Cape...Lots of work in front of our departure:grumble::drink:grumble:

catman

Reaction score
Flying out 11/6 and returning 11/22.I need this bad.Been working seven days a week for the last 9 months !!!!!!

DaBank

Reaction score
That's one of the coolest things about this run; you don't need a boat like other poker runs.

Depending on what you want to do, how long you want to stay and how much you want to spend is what it al comes down to. I would recommend Thursday through Sunday. Take the red eye and land Thursday morning in lauderdale or Miami. Grab a rental car and head down the 1. The drive is spectacular and everyone should do it t least once. If you do it this trip you'll get a first hand account of the hurricane damage.

Thursday around 11:30 / 12 the poker run will pull into the Hyatt faro blanco in key largo (about an hour south of miami) Most likely 75 boats or so and some seriously impressive hardware will pull into the docks for lunch. It's cool to stop for lunch and check out the docks and hang for an hour or so with everyone. The pics I posted of all the boats side tied is at gilberts for the lunch stop. Gilbert's was changed to Hyatt this year because of storm damage but same thing.

They'll get going around 1:30 2 for the rest of the run to KW. you can drive the rest of the way over the 7 mile bridge and all the cool keys. Roll into KW around 4:30/5, get to where you're staying, park your car and never drive it again until you drive back to catch your flight out.

You need to check on availability for places to stay right now. Check a map. The pier house is basically poker run central and the races go right across the front. We usually just rent a house off of Duvall. Everything is in walking distance. Look at a map and get anything close to Duvall or front street and you're fine. If you find something and have a question just shoot me a PM and I can tell you what you're in for.

Thursday night is the offshoreonly speed on the water party across the street from sloppy joes. GREAT party.

Friday try to get a table at the pier or make your way down to bite marina and you can watch the races. The pics of the race boats running past close to the shore is from the pier. They run so close to the shore through there it seems like you can reach out and touch them as they're blasting past at 100mph.

Wet pits and dry pits are in the cruise line marina south east area of the island.

Friday night is the Duvall street party. They line up all the boats and there's literally thousands of people partying. It's like part New Orleans carnival part havasu street party. It's goes for probably a mile or so flanked by all the popular bars that are wide open to the street like sloppy joes, Irish Kevin's, ricks, hogsbreath etc. you WILL get your drunk on that night. The pics I posted of the huge crowds in the street are of the street parade / party.

Saturday, there's no races and poker runners boat out to the sand bar to tie up and party. Now, this I've never actually made it to even though we've had rides set in the past on an 80 Nortech, canopied MTI, 46 cigarette, brand new center consoles, etc. reason is, after partying for about 2 days straight on only a couple hours sleep, we tend to not be able to wake up. 路*♂️路*♂️ hoping to rally and get out there with AJ, RD and crew this year though. Saturday night is just more partying on Duvall street.

Sunday we head home. Hung the fuck over.

That's the trip I'd recommend for a first timer. Only thing you can consider deviating is flying into KW from Miami and not driving. We're flying directly in this year.

Another option, if you really want to do it up right, is to get on Offshore only and see if anyone has open seat for the poker run down on Thursday. Throw out there you'll help out with gas or something and usually people will oblige. It's 150 mile run down through the keys with 100 other offshore boats and it's fuckin EPIC. We've run down via boat countess times and it's just something everyone should experience. Here's a little taste of running through the mangroves.

[video=youtube_https;O_QrF3nQKL8]https://youtu.be/O_QrF3nQKL8[/video]

Hit me up if you need anything.

Tank
I just saw this. Thank you for all the great information!!
So Thrusday to Sunday sounds like plenty of time to have fun.
Would you suggest staying at the Pier House? What other Hotels would you suggest? I am going to check on flights this weekend. The drive in sounds like it would be cool but landing there would be nice just for the return flight home. Frank

Where is most the RDP crew staying?

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Would you suggest staying at the Pier House? What other Hotels would you suggest? I am going to check on flights this weekend. The drive in sounds like it would be cool but landing there would be nice just for the return flight home. Frank

War canoe and I are going to the Fort Lauderdale boat show on November 3rd . And then to Key West the week after.

Tank

Reaction score

The thing about getting to Key West is that it's an AAAAAAAAAAALL day, and then some, affair. So, if you decide to fly into Key West you'll land early evening down there for the most part. The problem is, you lose 3 hours going out there, so your flight takes off usually 8 to 10 am out of L.A.X or wherever in So. Cal., 5 hour flight, then its a minimum of 1.5 hour layover. 45 minute flight to KW...so, it's all day traveling. My point is, if we fly to Miami and drive or boat down, we do the red eye wed night and drive/boat on Thursday. If we fly all the way to Key West, we fly Wed (take all day) so we can enjoy Thursday - Sunday. Make sense?

As far as hotels go, check this map. https://www.bing.com/search?q=key+w...s=n&sk=&cvid=8c51b2f5a4544727a057e5f24cf0074f
At the top of the map you'll see the pierhouse and hyatt (both right on the water in the middle of it all). To the right of those is the Conch Republic restaurant, where many of the main poker run boats tie up and where the FPC poker run village is. AJ and RD & company are staying at Margaritaville / Westin resort which is right next to the wet pits for the race boats and looks right out over the race course. There's also a bunch of hotels out by the Airport, but that shits away from the heart of everything.

If you don't mind walking a few blocks, we really like the La Choncha Crown Plaza on Duvall about 6 blocks up from Front St. Then at the other end of Duvall, we've stayed at the Woldorf Astoria, which is a super nice property / rooms. Other option is to jump on VRBO or google key west vacation homes and rent a bungalow off of Duvall somewhere. As long as you're somewhere with-in the Duvall corridor, you're good. You won't need a car once your there, you can rent scooters or just walk / cab it.

Like I said man, if you need anything PM me and I'll shoot you my number, or get it from RD.

Tank

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
The thing about getting to Key West is that it's an AAAAAAAAAAALL day, and then some, affair. So, if you decide to fly into Key West you'll land early evening down there for the most part. The problem is, you lose 3 hours going out there, so your flight takes off usually 8 to 10 am out of L.A.X or wherever in So. Cal., 5 hour flight, then its a minimum of 1.5 hour layover. 45 minute flight to KW...so, it's all day traveling. My point is, if we fly to Miami and drive or boat down, we do the red eye wed night and drive/boat on Thursday. If we fly all the way to Key West, we fly Wed (take all day) so we can enjoy Thursday - Sunday. Make sense?

As far as hotels go, check this map. https://www.bing.com/search?q=key+w...s=n&sk=&cvid=8c51b2f5a4544727a057e5f24cf0074f
At the top of the map you'll see the pierhouse and hyatt (both right on the water in the middle of it all). To the right of those is the Conch Republic restaurant, where many of the main poker run boats tie up and where the FPC poker run village is. AJ and RD & company are staying at Margaritaville / Westin resort which is right next to the wet pits for the race boats and looks right out over the race course. There's also a bunch of hotels out by the Airport, but that shits away from the heart of everything.

If you don't mind walking a few blocks, we really like the La Choncha Crown Plaza on Duvall about 6 blocks up from Front St. Then at the other end of Duvall, we've stayed at the Woldorf Astoria, which is a super nice property / rooms. Other option is to jump on VRBO or google key west vacation homes and rent a bungalow off of Duvall somewhere. As long as you're somewhere with-in the Duvall corridor, you're good. You won't need a car once your there, you can rent scooters or just walk / cab it.

Like I said man, if you need anything PM me and I'll shoot you my number, or get it from RD.

Tank

Actually we are staying off Duvall At some B&B type joint with cottages..No rooms at Jimmy Buffets Place...And anyplace that does have rooms Yanked the price up double:grumble:

catman

Reaction score

We are staying at Margaritaville ocean front suite so we will be easy to find hanging off the balcony..Pretty sure they are sold out.It is going to be hard to find anything waterfront rooms at this time.Most of all the resorts near the water are going to have a 3 to 4 day min stay and plan on paying $700.00 t0 $1,500.00 per night.The more you go inland the cheaper and more available you will find it.Also make sure to call and book a scooter or golf cart now or you will be walking.There is no parking in Key West so the car will not work.Call this place for rental. http://www.hydrothunderofkeywest.com/activities/electric-car-and-golf-cart-rentals/

If you can get a room at the pier house that would be my second choice.They are down to a few rooms left.
https://www.pierhouse.com/

The Marker is close to poker run village and a pretty nice resort.They still have a few rooms left.
https://www.themarkerkeywest.com/

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am so looking forward to this.. lol. I literally get giddy just thinking about it. :D

Tank

Reaction score
I am so looking forward to this.. lol. I literally get giddy just thinking about it. :D

Welcome to the club. Best run on the planet.

Some time you need to hitch a ride on one fo the big cats and run down with the poker run from Miami and do all the stops and photo shoot. Full tour.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I Hope the weather is good Im afraid to look anymore..Dont want to Jinx It....RD I think we need to Leave a Day Early...:skull:skull:skull:thumbsup

Tank

Reaction score
I Hope the weather is good Im afraid to look anymore..Dont want to Jinx It....RD I think we need to Leave a Day Early...:skull:skull:skull:thumbsup

Weathers always fine.

You do need to leave a day early! Your trip is way to quick.

Warlock1

Reaction score
Pretty excited about this. It'll be great to hang out with old friends and meet some new ones as well as put faces to the names.

AJ let us know what help you need before hand.

I think were going to take the Express down and back...