WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How do you price a used Duramax with $60k+ in parts?

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I wanted your opinions on roughly how much you value aftermarket parts on a used vehicle? I am going to sell my favorite truck but it doesn't have any comparable trucks for sale. I know something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Chase 1 passanger side.jpg

My situation:
2007 classic (2006 model) 2500HD Duramax diesel 6 speed Allison Transmission 4x4 SHORT BED. The grill and lights have been updated to the 2014 style. The truck is fully loaded except for a sunroof. It has leather, heated seats, aftermarket power towing mirrors, Onstar, remote start

This truck has arguably the best motor & 6 speed Allison trans combo, not the 5 speed Allison trans used up to ?05. It is titled as a 2007.
This truck just sits at my house and with 2 other trucks I cant justify keeping it. I do not need the towing capability for my toy hauler or boat. I would not hesitate or be concerned driving this truck across North America right now. It gets more compliments and starts more conversations than any custom vehicle I have owned.
Method wheels with E rated 37x13.5 Toyo Mud terrains with a full size matching spare.
Rear tru-track locker and 4:56 gears. Front 4:56 and E-locker on demand (electronic switch)
Suspension: Front: (2014) Cognito FULL kit with upper arms, spindles, dual King remote reservoir shocks, upgraded steering and tie rods etc etc. The whole front end hubs, axles, CV?s, brakes rotors Rear is a deaver 3500 leaf pack (re-built with fresh bushings 2016) and single king shocks with remote reservoirs. Rear has air bags with a dedicated compressor and interior gauge and power switch.
Banks intercooler, Banks 6 gun tuner with dial selector. Aftermarket Air filter, New batteries 7/2016. Oil, filter and fuel filter are changed regularly and was done within the last 500 miles.
Long range fuel tank (45gal)-? I can go from OC to parker Az and back on one tank no problem.
Full chase roof rack with a removable cross bar that can hold 4 tires. A folding 3 jug fuel can holder is also in the bed. The rack is powder coated.
Amp research electronic retracting steps.
Built in Laurance GPS with a custom dash insert. Race radio CB and inside amp speaker.
New head unit (8/2017) with CD, Apple interface, NAV, Bluetooth, etc etc. The truck has dual 10? subs, amp, 4 TV?s including the head unit, it has dedicated rear TV audio with headsets for the kids.
All Rigid LED light, not cheap knockoffs (over $2k in lights) Baja designs led ?rock lights? on the chase rack and one in every utility bed cabinet with a dedicated switch inside them. The truck also has white LED emergency strobe flashers built into the lenses front and rear that flash back and forth. (like a police/fire/Caltrans vehicle)
ViAir Air compressor with a 5 gal tank mounted underneath for air tools and also has a really loud train horn. Quick connect power ports front and rear with 20? jumper cables with quick connects on one end.
There are 2 removable custom mounts to hold pit bikes on top of the bed sides. I may include one of my street legal honda CRF 50s for the right price on the truck.
Custom Pacific truck bodies bed. Fiberworks front fenders and custom valance. Front bumper and skidplate by Brenthel Industries. The skidplate has a built in front tow receiver with removable winch mount. The skid is all tied into the frame and there is another custom skid plate under the front differential. Full repaint of the truck in 2011 when the fenders and bed were added. The paint still looks great.
The truck bed has a built in craftsman race jack in one cabinet, all steel drawers inside another.
Lojack installed
That is everything I can think of, the truck has been over-maintained and only has a few small issues like a rear pinion seal, CV boot throwing grease etc. I'll have it all fixed in the next few weeks when I can find time to get it in for service.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do you have the stock bed? I think it would open up the market for potential buyers. Sell the utility bed separate. I got $31K for my LBZ and the lift deterred a few buyers. I knew I would not recoup any upgrades. I would list at $38,500 as is see if someone is looking then swap bed if needed.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Based on other sales I see the truck alone would be worth $30k with 100,000k miles.
I was thinking to start at the top of the estimates and keep dropping the price weekly from there once it is listed. I would like this truck gone by Halloween for storage reasons.
IMG_20170601_152458.jpg

Chase 1 drivers side.jpg Chase 1 front.jpg IMG_20170601_151220.jpg IMG_20170601_151444.jpg IMG_20170601_153116.jpg IMG_20170601_152417.jpg

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Do you have the stock bed? I think it would open up the market for potential buyers. Sell the utility bed separate. I got $31K for my LBZ and the lift deterred a few buyers. I knew I would not recoup any upgrades. I would list at $38,500 as is see if someone is looking then swap bed if needed.

Answer is No to the extra bed, but this is a good idea :thumbup::thumbup: beds are cheap compared to what that box and rack are worth to me. The shortbed utility bed is rare. I already talked to Pacific about modding that bed onto another gas truck which will work.

DLC

Reaction score
Sweet truck! Good luck with the sale

How did you do the 14 headlight up grade? Is there a web site or a thread/ forum you can steer me to?

I have an 07 also and need to get new lights as they are now yellowing

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Always liked this truck..... I would start at 40K on one of the race truck forums. Seems like the perfect pit truck and some of these racers are flush with cash.

Its herbst red;):D

Enen

Reaction score
General rule $ .15 to $.25 on the dollar on the upgrades plus blue book value.

jones performance

Reaction score
nice truck!:thumbsup

with the current setup a desert racer would be the only one interested i would believe. id advertise there and see what you get.

a stock bed would make a quicker sale im sure as nobody is gonna use that as a work truck due to the height.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I'll give you 20k for it. Would be 25k if it was black

If it was white or greystone metallic I would be considering it at $30K. Do a bed swap and have another work truck to add to the fleet.

Miss my LBZ but it was the right timing for me tripled that money as work has been crazy. Now shopping again for a crew cab.

NicPaus

Reaction score
LBZ's do not sell for blue book. Most sought after used truck on the market.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'll shoot this add to a couple friends that have fab shops and connections in the desert race community.

DaBank

Reaction score
Did you do all the upgrades? How long have you owned it? Do you have more interior and undercarriage pictures?

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
The formula I have always used and was able to sell after building custom rides is: research what a stock truck is going for that is similar to yours. Take all the receipts and add everything up down to the penny. Write up ad using all the receipts and be as detailed as possible. Take all the receipts and throw them away and list the truck the same as all the stock trucks. :drink. That's been my case.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'd be interested at $25k. I'm sure someone would be willing to go into the 30's.

Cool truck, I'd post it on Craigslist in the oil drilling areas.

hallett21

Reaction score
How hard (how much would it cost) to put a mellower lift on it?

Is the over the cab rack removable?

Basically would want the utility box without the racks on top of the boxes. How much taller is the tailgate from stock?

Can the rear end still handle weight?

Icky

Reaction score
I second the race dezert listing idea

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Forums can help...when I sold my truck with all the Carli goodies, I made a deal with a guy on another forum.

He would pay me $xxx for my Carli parts, and also put my truck back to stock...he provided all the stock parts, basically off his truck, plus his labor.

Was easier to sell my truck - his buddy bought it - and I got fifty cents-ish on the dollar for my mods.

tkrrox

Reaction score
If I had fu money I would buy this and the red scarab. This truck is awesome and would be perfect for Baja bound or one of those Baja ride companies.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
This is my favorite truck ever. You did an exceptional job with the build.

Why anyone would want to change anything is beyond me.

Where are you(the truck) located? Those are fairly common to see in OC.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the opinions:thumbup:

Dual Kings up front...interesting. :thumbup:

I can't think of 1 upgrade where an expense was spared.

Did you do all the upgrades? How long have you owned it? Do you have more interior and undercarriage pictures?

I've owned it since 2010.
It was first built in 2007 with just the bed, rack, most electronics and lift with 35's. It was used 2 seasons for a new class 1 car racing Best in the desert (Parker, Mint 400, vegas to reno etc, you can't pre-run or be on the course in these races, only in the pits)
I changed the whole front end to update it with the fiberglass fenders, new grill/lights and front valance to meet the fender width. The truck had spray bedliner across the bottom 8" of all the body so I had it removed and the truck re-painted also color matching the new mirrors and door handles. I re-did the full Cognito lift kit and front bumper with skid plates and changed to all Rigid LEDs. I did the gears and lockers when I went to 37's with new rims and a full size spare and di the amp eletronic steps at the same time. I removed the spare under the truck and installed a compressor and tank + train horn.
I'll get more pics to follow with an itemized list of things that are not perfect like a seam tear in the driver's side seat.

This is my favorite truck ever. You did an exceptional job with the build.
Why anyone would want to change anything is beyond me.

Located in Irvine. Thanks, I feel the EXACT same way. I would build it exactly the same way if it was done again.

I second the race dezert listing idea
Agreed, Race dezert and a few other offroad social media sites

How hard (how much would it cost) to put a mellower lift on it?

Is the over the cab rack removable?
Basically would want the utility box without the racks on top of the boxes. How much taller is the tailgate from stock?
Can the rear end still handle weight?
Rack is easily removable. ?The tailgate is only like 12" tall. Yes rear weight would not be a problem, the rear has a deaver 3500 spring pack not the stock 2500. It also has air bags on the rear.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Sweet truck! Good luck with the sale

How did you do the 14 headlight up grade? Is there a web site or a thread/ forum you can steer me to?

I have an 07 also and need to get new lights as they are now yellowing

This is a similar update with a different grill for the 2003-2006/7classic My buddy just did this. It is much cheaper than when I did it. I had a new 1" steel tube frame fabbed and welded in to support behind the whole assembly which was overkill. Same supports were done under the fiberglass valance
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_...MIhvmTxf6y1gIVXbjACh08OgsjEAkYASABEgIAAvD_BwE

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I think it's badass. I would turn it into an adventure/ expedition camper.

Maybe list it of one of those expedition camping websites?

Hurry up and sell it so I can stop thinking about it.

hallett21

Reaction score
Sorry wanted to know how high the tailgate (when down) sits off of pavement.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
General rule $ .15 to $.25 on the dollar on the upgrades plus blue book value.

Sadly, this isn't far from the truth. I recently sold my 01 Dodge HO diesel, 6-speed long bed 4x4. It was considered one of the most sought after towing trucks out there back in the day. Blue book was ~$10k. They were selling online for $12k or so. The truck had 20" wheels/tires and about $10k in upgrades under the hood. 500rwhp/1150ft-lbs to the tires on the dyno. I got $16k for it. That puts me at about $.50 on the dollar for the upgrades.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Sadly, this isn't far from the truth. I recently sold my 01 Dodge HO diesel, 6-speed long bed 4x4. It was considered one of the most sought after towing trucks out there back in the day. Blue book was ~$10k. They were selling online for $12k or so. The truck had 20" wheels/tires and about $10k in upgrades under the hood. 500rwhp/1150ft-lbs to the tires on the dyno. I got $16k for it. That puts me at about $.50 on the dollar for the upgrades.

Hi Keith:), I remember that truck! It's been a long time since we were hanging out at RD's Parker house, maybe 15 years?! I used to have the screen name H2O Party Starter on different sites (Josh). I remember us in RD's Nordic drifting in the dark after losing power leaving Roadrunner late one night. We got it to the CA side and you and I hitched a ride from the CA side all the way around to AZ in the Keys so I could get my boat and go tow us home:thumbsup

If I got $.25 on the dollar it would make the price around $45k. I will start at $44,500 and drop the price weekly from there. I listed it on Race-Dezert.com this morning.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

I feel you. When I sold my last two trucks (both very modified) I got very little back for the mods. Everything was done to quality and nothing was half-assed, but it seems people don't appreciate it. I see a good example of that in this thread with people asking questions about changing what seems to me to be an already great truck. I get it, everyone is different and you can't expect everyone to appreciate what you do.

Hi Keith:), I remember that truck! It's been a long time since we were hanging out at RD's Parker house, maybe 15 years?! I used to have the screen name H2O Party Starter on different sites (Josh). I remember us in RD's Nordic drifting in the dark after losing power leaving Roadrunner late one night. We got it to the CA side and you and I hitched a ride from the CA side all the way around to AZ in the Keys so I could get my boat and go tow us home:thumbsup

If I got $.25 on the dollar it would make the price around $45k. That is where I will start and drop the price weekly from there. I listed it on Race-Dezert.com this morning.

That's a good price. Last night, I thought about what I would offer you for it and $40k came to mind. $45k is a reasonable price. However, I talked myself out of it this am. It's a bad ass truck, but I have plans to build one in the next couple years. Your truck is already done and a great deal, but I don't have the need or space for it right now. Good luck with the sale. Hopefully it sells before I change my mind again.

STV_Keith

Reaction score

If I got $.25 on the dollar it would make the price around $45k. That is where I will start and drop the price weekly from there. I listed it on Race-Dezert.com this morning.

Certainly were some good times back then! :)

Good luck with the sale!

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I feel you. When I sold my last two trucks (both very modified) I got very little back for the mods. Everything was done to quality and nothing was half-assed, but it seems people don't appreciate it. I see a good example of that in this thread with people asking questions about changing what seems to me to be an already great truck. I get it, everyone is different and you can't expect everyone to appreciate what you do.

That's a good price. Last night, I thought about what I would offer you for it and $40k came to mind. $45k is a reasonable price. However, I talked myself out of it this am. It's a bad ass truck, but I have plans to build one in the next couple years. Your truck is already done and a great deal, but I don't have the need or space for it right now. Good luck with the sale. Hopefully it sells before I change my mind again.

Yep, I've done this dance with other modified trucks, trailers, bikes, rzrs and 1 boat.

I just got a quote for our new 2017 Suburban; $10,000 for a similar lift kit with only single Fox shocks, wheels, tires, Amp steps & rear air bags :(:(

I called and Pacific Truck Bodies will modify and swap the bed onto my newer gas truck chassis for $800-$1000. Then a re-paint would be another $1500-$1700. I might do it.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, I've done this dance with other modified trucks, trailers, bikes, rzrs and 1 boat.

I just got a quote for our new 2017 Suburban; $10,000 for a similar lift kit with only single Fox shocks, wheels, tires, Amp steps & rear air bags :(:(

I called and Pacific Truck Bodies will modify and swap the bed onto my newer gas truck chassis for $800-$1000. Then a re-paint would be another $1500-$1700. I might do it.

Not a bad idea. That's a really nice bed and rack.

I've always owned trucks with a regular bed, but I once had a service body when I was in construction. My buddy and I often talk about how a service bed is way better than having a regular truck bed. My previous Duramax had many of the mods your truck has minus the service bed. I wanted to keep it, swap beds, but the truck was a 2WD and I saw no point at throwing any more money at it.

It was a great truck, but one night of being broken down 5 miles away from camp in a wash, showed me that I need a 4x4 with a service body full of tools to retrieve and or repair the buggy.

Your ad here

Reaction score
To answer the question I say upgrades dont ever add value to a vehicle. If anything they may help with a sale if the buyer is looking at multiple vehicles. Some mods may hurt resale value, like service beds or any type of mod. Depends on the buyer.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Not a bad idea. That's a really nice bed and rack.

I've always owned trucks with a regular bed, but I once had a service body when I was in construction. My buddy and I often talk about how a service bed is way better than having a regular truck bed. My previous Duramax had many of the mods your truck has minus the service bed. I wanted to keep it, swap beds, but the truck was a 2WD and I saw no point at throwing any more money at it.

It was a great truck, but one night of being broken down 5 miles away from camp in a wash, showed me that I need a 4x4 with a service body full of tools to retrieve and or repair the buggy.

Service beds are cool. Especially when you have them built to your specific details. But having a daily driver service bed truck can be a pain in the ass. You get disrespected on the road, then you have to deal with commercial vehicle bs, then everyone thinks you are a mobile home depot and have a fix and will fix everything.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I like this truck a lot. I just need to convince my wife.