WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How to Wake up a stock SBC

73hondo

Reaction score
Hey folks, I wanted to get some opinions on the best bolt on's to wake up a stock 2 bolt 350. its got a little bit of a cam fresh stock rebuild and that's about it. I was thinking of throwing on some aluminum heads with a smaller chamber bump the comp and matching a cam. the car is (3200 lbs chevelle, 2500 stall and th350) I would be getting a new intake and Carb as well. I got 2k to spend on bolt on's to try and make it the meanest little mouse motor I can.... thoughts opinions ect ??

Trash

Reaction score
I'd recommend some AFR 195s but they will eat most if not all of your budget. Those and a bigger cam will get the most bang for the buck.

What size cam do you have now?

What heads?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Yea, id say you need to put the budget at 3K.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
2k is not a whole lot of money...you'll need way more than that to throw on a new set of heads.

Is the exhaust system already done? What ignition system is on it?

What carb and intake are you thinking about?

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Stock vortec heads(like used ones) are not that bad and pretty cheap. You will need a new intake. For under a grand ypu can get 50hp.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Before you do anything make a plan and a budget.

Then burn the budget and make the plan an open CC to burn on.....:p

Seriously though, you need to just take a look at where you want to end up. 400hp? 500hp? 600hp?

There is a sizable difference for every step up in power. Not only in cost but to make it workable with the current drivetrain, don't forget that once you start going over 500hp other things will need to be modified and strengthened.

IMO it's easiest to grab a copy of CarCraft or Super Chevy and follow one of their builds, to get the most bang for your buck, since they do all the hard (and expensive) work of mixing and matching to see what makes the most power for the money.

For low end budget build they do all sorts of junkyard type builds, easier to stretch your money.

Just remember that an engine is a system, it only works optimally with the right components installed in the right places.

New heads, cam, intake and carb is the basic buildup, but you will only reap full benefits from it if you have the exhaust to flow it out too.

There are important things like what it's matched up to : Auto with a stall conv or is it a manual? What gear ratio in the rear end? Do you want something with a lot of low end grunt like a stroker or a high revving screamer that is de-stroked?

There are a lot of really smart people on these boards with years of racing and modification tricks and tips, you just need to ask the right questions and supply the relevant information. :thumbup:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Easy to build a 400-430hp street 350.

Vortec heads, decent dual plane like a performer rpm, Roller cam and lifters. The small cc chamber of the vortecs will give you the bump in compression, and perform well all the way through the powerband.

All about the combo. It's not one part or another, but how they compliment each other. Also what your goal for the car is.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I'd recommend some AFR 195s but they will eat most if not all of your budget. Those and a bigger cam will get the most bang for the buck.

What size cam do you have now?

What heads?

What cam is now in it ?

What pistons ?

AzGeo

Reaction score
3/4 Race :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Errrr wait maybe its a warmed over RV????

75 cents to race it ?

It will only go 990 feet on a 1320 foot track ?

How warm ?

Who's RV ?

I know zackley what you are talking about now ..............

73hondo

Reaction score
Easy to build a 400-430hp street 350.

Vortec heads, decent dual plane like a performer rpm, Roller cam and lifters. The small cc chamber of the vortecs will give you the bump in compression, and perform well all the way through the powerband.

All about the combo. It's not one part or another, but how they compliment each other. Also what your goal for the car is.

This was the direction I was thinking... I don't want to get into any machine work and want to keep the bottom end together. looks like 600-800 for some nice aluminum 64 cc vortecs maybe another 300 for cam and lifters another 200-300 for a intake since its going to stay a 350 didnt wanna through a ton of $$ at it. the longer term goal down the road would be to build a 406/408 with dart block and all the goodies but this is something to hold me over and not tear up the tranny and rear end. I am just looking to have a little fun and make her move better... right now it has the original 283 and is putting out maybe 150 hp :)

73hondo

Reaction score
What cam is now in it ?

What pistons ?

it was a fresh stock rebuild that was going into my uncles Camino and he decided to go LS. he doesn't remember the cam, has a decent idle but was built to run strong vacuum and AC so I wouldn't think to radical. Heads are stock crappy 882's not sure on pistons but will have the heads off this weekend. So I am assuming that my starting point is a fresh stock 2 bolt short block. I have a nice Mallory comp 9k dist and 6al for ignition and a new set of comp roller rockers.was thinking a set of mid-length headers and 2.5 in exhaust.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
like SB says for a car - copy a car craft/hot rod recipie - a classic top end/exhaust combo will wake it up.

My own small block was pretty awesome and I built it for cheap. Idled tame enough for an I/O - brought the hammer down big block style. Dyno'd at the car craft place Westech by none other than Steve Brule himself.

UD

Attachments

• 406 New crossover and lines.jpg
    406 New crossover and lines.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 403
  • 406 dyno chart.jpg
    406 dyno chart.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 406

AzGeo

Reaction score
Since you don't know much about what is in the engine now, why not look at those "intake, heads and cam kits" that companies like AFR, Holley, and Edelbrock make ?

They tell you what you need and then you bolt on your choice of their "dyno tested" performance level . You said you just wanted to warm it up, and those "kits" seem like a great place for the improvements you want .

In this way, if it runs great, you are a hero , but if it runs bad, at least you can't come back here and bitch us out .

Good luck ...............

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Since you don't know much about what is in the engine now, why not look at those "intake, heads and cam kits" that companies like AFR, Holley, and Edelbrock make ?

They tell you what you need and then you bolt on your choice of their "dyno tested" performance level . You said you just wanted to warm it up, and those "kits" seem like a great place for the improvements you want .

In this way, if it runs great, you are a hero , but if it runs bad, at least you can't come back here and bitch us out .

Good luck ...............
Best advice yet. Unless your doing a ground up design and build these kits are the best bang for the buck. They offer proven combinations with significant increases.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Do something simple then save your pennies for an LS3 with a cam and no smog equipment make a legit 450hp and get you 22-25mpg when cruising