WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hoss Trailers

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Picked up a new boat to me and I was expecting for it to be sitting on an Ellis since its a Howard. But its on a Hoss Trailer out of havasu back in the day. Tripple axle and looking to pick up a spare for it but the tire size seems small for the trailer tires are 196-65-14 cant find to many options in this size. 1st problem I cant raise the fender up for a bigger tire because the boat sits on top of the fenders. Tried to put on a 205-75-14 and its way to big it will rub. Another question it has torsion axles do they move up and down more or less than a leaf spring axle? Thinking I might have to go with a 15inch wheel and lower profile tire

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
20171010_190950.jpg
This is the 205/75/14 its almost touching top and back side way to big

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Depending on the type of torsion axles that you have, they are adjustable for ride height. If they are not adjustable you can add spacer blocks between the axle and frame. Raising up the trailer ride height will give you more clearance between the tire and fender allowing you to switch to standard trailer tires.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Depending on the type of torsion axles that you have, they are adjustable for ride height. If they are not adjustable you can add spacer blocks between the axle and frame. Raising up the trailer ride height will give you more clearance between the tire and fender allowing you to switch to standard trailer tires.
Good call I did notice they look to be adjustable.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I had 195/60r14 tires on my triple axle trailer for 16 years no issues. I had General Altimax, never one issue and they were perpetually loaded to max. Unless you're going for a new look, you could keep the tires and be fine.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
That looks really good. How are the car tires holding up? What did it cost ya to do the swap

Thanks! They hold up well. No issues since I had them, it's been a few years. They will "scrub" a bit better in those tight turns too. I think it was around $1400 out the door.

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
I had 195/60r14 tires on my triple axle trailer for 16 years no issues. I had General Altimax, never one issue and they were perpetually loaded to max. Unless you're going for a new look, you could keep the tires and be fine.
I can't seem to find them real easy right now

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I can't seem to find them real easy right now
Are you looking for a specific brand? A quick search for the size shows availability at pep boys.

If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade wheels and need to show this thread to the wife, I will delete my post. ;)

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Are you looking for a specific brand? A quick search for the size shows availability at pep boys.

If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade wheels and need to show this thread to the wife, I will delete my post. ;)

No I don't have any problems finding excuses for upgrades that's for sure. But i would rather put the money in the boat than in fancy trailer wheels and tires right now. Possibly later upgrade the wheels.

alisha

Banned
Reaction score
If you mess with your Hoss there will be wheel alignment problems.
I have a john deer trailer facing similar problems like.
So i have planned to sell it off.