WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

50k Baja's

RusNab

Reaction score
I've noticed a few 10 year old outlaw's with 496's asking 50k. WTF!!! Thoughts

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Outlaws. They are good boats. Obviously not a Cig or Outerlimits but very good, capable solid boats with predictable handling. A ten year old boat would be a 2007 and a new 35 Outlaw at that time would have cost in the high $100K's or more.

Baja made Outlaws from 20' to 40' so as they say, size does matter. What size Outlaw are you looking at?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The prices of used boats is at a peak.. when you see 3,000.00 jet boats going for 9-12k you know it's probably time to wait to buy. Lol

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The prices of used boats is at a peak.. when you see 3,000.00 jet boats going for 9-12k you know it's probably time to wait to buy. Lol

Is it a peak?
I suspect it's more of a mesa.

Stop and add up how many boats were built since 2008, when shit hit the fan.

There weren't many.
The supply is way down, unless you're willing to look at something over 10 years old.

rrrr

Reaction score

A buddy of mine bought an Outlaw with twin 600 HP EFI engines. I dunno what they are though. He knows nothing about the subject, he just confirmed it has two propellers :D

I think he paid around $55K for it. The photos look good, I haven't had a chance to ride in it yet. They are pretty nice looking boats, and I have a couple of friends that have owned Bajas over the years. They're a decent boat and sometimes you can buy 'em right around Lake Texoma and Lake Lewisville.

Tank

Reaction score
33 Outlaw, 36 concept cc and a 35 cigarette cafe racer are on my short list.

I really like the 33 outlaw cabin and cockpit. Great lines too

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I started a thread years ago asking why Baja got such a bad rap. No one could actually give a concrete answer why. I've seen a few Baja's and they seemed to be built pretty decently.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I started a thread years ago asking why Baja got such a bad rap. No one could actually give a concrete answer why. I've see a few Baja's and they seemed to be built pretty decently.

I never thought they were a bad boat at all. My friends from the east coast always say they have some stigma though. Maybe because they are production boats? But so are formula and others?

Tank

Reaction score
I never thought they were a bad boat at all. My friends from the east coast always say they have some stigma though. Maybe because they are production boats? But so are formula and others?

I think part of the reason they are unliked by some is they are cheaper (cost wise) then other performance boats in their class - Baja was the #1 best selling performance boat for many years. They are EVERYWHERE in the mid west, so it takes some of the awe out of owning one when everyone has one on the lake. They are a production boat and through the years had some issues hear and there but nothing major. You wont find the excellent fit and finish you find on custom boats but they get the job done. They were never the fastest hulls but they handle big water well and are extremely predictable. You don't see too many of them on the east or west coasts but head inland and they're all over the place.

I ran a 24' Baja Oulaw for about 8 years. Mostly ocean running in big water and the thing was absolutely amazing for its size. I'd own another Baja in a heart beat and like I said, my first pick for our next boat will be a 33 Oulaw because of the cabin amenities / layout and they have huge cockpits; very comfy.

Pic of my old Baja
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0742.jpg

milkmoney

Reaction score
I started a thread years ago asking why Baja got such a bad rap. No one could actually give a concrete answer why. I've see a few Baja's and they seemed to be built pretty decently.
I was always told they were kinda a fancy upscale sea ray , not knocking them or sea ray.
Did sea ray build them???
[emoji202]

Tank

Reaction score
I was always told they were kinda a fancy upscale sea ray , not knocking them or sea ray.
Did sea ray build them???
[emoji202]

They were not built by SeaRay, most likely the comparison came from the fact they were owned by the same parent company, Brunswick Corp, who also owns Bayliner, Crestliner, Harris Boats, Boston Whaler and Mercury Marine to name a few. Their lay up schedule is similar to SeaRay as well. Baja is now owned by Icon Marine Group who builds Fountain, Donzi and Baja's on limited scale.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
I've owned 3 Outlaws. They are good boats. Obviously not a Cig or Outerlimits but very good, capable solid boats with predictable handling. A ten year old boat would be a 2007 and a new 35 Outlaw at that time would have cost in the high $100K's or more.

Baja made Outlaws from 20' to 40' so as they say, size does matter. What size Outlaw are you looking at?

X 2 Owned a total of 5 Baja's in my lifetime bought 2 brand new..Very Solid and well put together boat:thumbsup

milkmoney

Reaction score
They were not built by SeaRay, most likely the comparison came from the fact they were owned by the same parent company, Brunswick Corp, who also owns Bayliner, Crestliner, Harris Boats, Boston Whaler and Mercury Marine to name a few. Their lay up schedule is similar to SeaRay as well. Baja is now owned by Icon Marine Group who builds Fountain, Donzi and Baja's on limited scale.
Thank you. [emoji106] I know Brunswick owns a lot of shit [emoji202]

Tank

Reaction score
Thank you. [emoji106] I know Brunswick owns a lot of shit [emoji202]

Pretty sad day when Brunswick shuttered the Ohio Baja Factory. They'd been in busn there for a very long time and life long employees that were a very tight group from what I understand. Really a shame it was shut down. Baja then went under the Fountain banner "Baja by Fountain" until Reggie filed BK. Then all four brands (Baja, Fountain, Donzi, Proline) were owned by another large company that bought out the debt from Reggie's debacle. They pretty much didn't do shit with any of the lines for years and ran it into the ground most likely because they were bankers not boatsmen. Best thing they had going for them was Craig Barrie (owner of Cigarette Racing Team in the 90's) leading Donzi but he was too restricted to really do anything (Craigs now with Statement).

Icon is a great thing for all brands and even brought Reggie back to head the Fountain branch.

Anyway, I digress. Sorry for the off rails history lessons. LOL

milkmoney

Reaction score
Pretty sad day when Brunswick shuttered the Ohio Baja Factory. They'd been in busn there for a very long time and life long employees that were a very tight group from what I understand. Really a shame it was shut down. Baja then went under the Fountain banner "Baja by Fountain" until Reggie filed BK. Then all four brands (Baja, Fountain, Donzi, Proline) were owned by another large company that bought out the debt from Reggie's debacle. They pretty much didn't do shit with any of the lines for years and ran it into the ground most likely because they were bankers not boatsmen. Best thing they had going for them was Craig Barrie (owner of Cigarette Racing Team in the 90's) leading Donzi but he was too restricted to really do anything (Craigs now with Statement).

Icon is a great thing for all brands and even brought Reggie back to head the Fountain branch.

I appreciate ur knowledge as some I knew and some I didn't.
I have always liked Donzi boats [emoji106] [emoji202]

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score

Yeah I had a couple out of the Ohio Plant...Big difference from to the other to the other...Regardless I think All are still original molds...I Think.??

Tank

Reaction score
Yeah I had a couple out of the Ohio Plant...Big difference from to the other to the other...Regardless I think All are still original molds...I Think.??

Yes, all original molds. When they closed the Baja plant they destroyed a shit ton of molds though. :thumbsdown

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Yes, all original molds. When they closed the Baja plant they destroyed a shit ton of molds though. :thumbsdown

CheckMate Right down the Road...Bet they got a Shit Load of Stuff...Jus saying:skull

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
There's a couple of new 2018 Baja listed online. Too much IMO. They want $80k for a 24 Outlaw with a small block, Lenco tabs and no trailer. That needs to be about $50k to sell it to their target market of middle class entry level boaters.

In the Midwest, every powerboat is a "Baja" to the general public, much like how a lot of people use Cigarette.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

The Baja Outlaw had a nice design, were/are fast per HP/length and overall decent consumer boat quality. It was really the clientele who bought them because the name "Outlaw" fed their "rebel without a clue" persona that gave them a bad name. The deal with Baja was that every fuckstick with more money than brains would buy one, and then proceed to beat the dick off it with zero maintenance. When the bill would come due, they would try and sell them and act like they were completely gold plated and ask 10% under new retail, for a 5 year old boat that was hammered.

Fuckstick:

A prototypical "look at me don't you think I am cool" dipshit with a shaved head, Oakley sunglasses, backwards black baseball cap, goatee, Hurley or Fox clothes who drives an obnoxiously lifted F-150 with an oversized No Fear or Fox sticker on the back window. These tards are attention hogs who pull out every poser stop to get it by reminding everyone all the time how great they are, and constantly out-buying friends and neighbors for the best dirt bike, quad or toy hauler. They can be seen sporting one or more tattoos written in old English script while ethnic versions of these idiots sport an iron cross logo completely clueless to the original meaning. They will generally refer to you as bro and or boss and treat everyone as if trying to sell them a used car.

That was/is the stigma.

RusNab

Reaction score

I saw 2 different 25 foot outlaws in different parts of the Midwest on trailers, 200-300 hrs on 496 mags, asking 49k. They looked to be in good shape from the pictures but we all know you can hide problems. Just seemed a little high. I've been on one Baja in my life and it was nice but, not higher dollar nice, it too was about 10 years old at the time and 25 foot with a 496. Are the 35ft+ boats rigged a little nicer? Just curious?

poncho

Reaction score
I paid $30,000 for a 2003 with 70 hours and not a scratch on it, 25 outlaw 496 mag. I would have preferred a west coast deck style but the ocean around here can get pretty nasty with four footers being common on a summer day.

I did not want a payment and wanted something with a performance vibe, this boat was right down the street from me with the service history from day one. I later found out the owner had 3 boats all maintained by the service manager personally.

So far the boat has been a blast, takes pretty good seas without a problem, I could see where it would be a perfect large lake boat.

Have had to replace a few electrical items, I think that's more of a lack of use and age.

Overall the boat so far has been a pretty good deal, the Mercruiser package, stereo and components are all good quality parts.

99% of the people out there don't know the difference between boat brands, 1% are keyboard commandoes.

I go on Offshore Only for the comedy, the offshore crowd has to be the biggest look at me bunch I have ever seen...I couldn't give 2 shits what anyone else has other than a compliment when we meet.

I took a bunch of guys out last week that are also boat owners of different styles and they all praised the ride and the boat overall.

I hate the graphics but they have somewhat grown on me....designers had to have been fans of mind altering drugs.

That ass belongs to a 29 year old I'm 54. :champagne:

Attachments

• 20171011_162944.jpg
    20171011_162944.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20160527_191251[1].jpg
    20160527_191251[1].jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 13245343_1121054737916422_30965064353356834_n.jpg
    13245343_1121054737916422_30965064353356834_n.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170827_124431[1].jpg
    20170827_124431[1].jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 37

Tank

Reaction score
There's a couple of new 2018 Baja listed online. Too much IMO. They want $80k for a 24 Outlaw with a small block, Lenco tabs and no trailer. That needs to be about $50k to sell it to their target market of middle class entry level boaters.

In the Midwest, every powerboat is a "Baja" to the general public, much like how a lot of people use Cigarette.

I paid 55k in 1997 for a brand new 24' Baja Outlaw SST with a carbed 454 non mag on a steel trailer. They have to increase with the cost of inflation.

Tank

Reaction score
I paid $30,000 for a 2003 with 70 hours and not a scratch on it, 25 outlaw 496 mag. I would have preferred a west coast deck style but the ocean around here can get pretty nasty with four footers being common on a summer day.

I did not want a payment and wanted something with a performance vibe, this boat was right down the street from me with the service history from day one. I later found out the owner had 3 boats all maintained by the service manager personally.

So far the boat has been a blast, takes pretty good seas without a problem, I could see where it would be a perfect large lake boat.

Have had to replace a few electrical items, I think that's more of a lack of use and age.

Overall the boat so far has been a pretty good deal, the Mercruiser package, stereo and components are all good quality parts.

99% of the people out there don't know the difference between boat brands, 1% are keyboard commandoes.

I go on Offshore Only for the comedy, the offshore crowd has to be the biggest look at me bunch I have ever seen...I couldn't give 2 shits what anyone else has other than a compliment when we meet.

I took a bunch of guys out last week that are also boat owners of different styles and they all praised the ride and the boat overall.

I hate the graphics but they have somewhat grown on me....designers had to have been fans of mind altering drugs.

That ass belongs to a 29 year old I'm 54. :champagne:

Good looking boat. Nice find.

The graphics are FINE! :D