WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Car Buying Experience. Always an adventure.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Maynard needed a car after a neighbor drunk driver wiped out half our family fleet in front of the house.
euv8NGO.jpg

hogEj53.jpg

Wife started driving my 2500HD as a daily driver and with the 8.1 that's not practical.
She was resistant to giving it up because she likes driving it so much but it's ridiculous. I just about had her convinced to park it until a texting girl in a new Toyota rear ended her at about 30 MPH. So reset the debate.
Toyota totaled, the 2500HD just a bumper and new hitch. Amazing.

So anyway, Maynard needed a car and I buy new with warranties and of course headed to Kia.
Kia is asking Toyota prices and the $4K rebate advertised on TV? "What rebate?" is the answer I got so I gave up the idea of a KIA.
We stopped by Honda and got a surely, abrasive fuckball lot donkey with a snarky, indifferent attitude. Oh brother, we rolled.

Everything out there was expensive for a college transportation car and after several dealers I stopped by Nissan.
A local surfer, Chris Kurtz is the truck fleet sale manager there and this guy sells mass seven figure deal quantities of Titans and those Nissan work vans you see cruising about.

People that have the magical knack for selling have always impressed me. They have that certain finesse' and gift and Chris has it. They know when a buyer is no bullshit. An easy guy to be around.
I didn't know how it works there if he being the truck guy could sell us a Sentra, Nissans basic economy, non-micro car.
We rolled in and he walked us out to the economy line. He had just bought one/given for/to his daughter and was hep on the trim levels and how deep we could go with the pricing.

Well, there sat a new metallic blue pearl clear coat, alloy wheel, nicely equipped Sentra with a $23.9 sticker marked down to $18.3 that just talks to ya. Neat looking little car. I was ready to bust out the checkbook and hand Maynard the keys.
Outta the blue; "You can drive it off the lot for $16.1 (+T&L)" Chris told us. Significantly cheaper than any other car in it's class we've shopped in person and online.
First time a dealer ground me down not up on price.

Duck transaction. We ducked in, then ducked out with a new car and a great price.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
That's a rare find :thumbsup

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Sister is borrowing my 2500HD. Driving the F550 yesterday and today. It sucks the fuel down especially going up and down the hill. Trying to buy a new truck today. Debating back and forth 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Hopefully they come back with a deal like that. Hate price shopping just give me the best price so I can get back to work.

sintax

Reaction score
I think Nissan makes a great budget car. I have a buddy whos had a few Altimas and loves them. I would not hesitate to buy one as a daily.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
My Sister is borrowing my 2500HD. Driving the F550 yesterday and today. It sucks the fuel down especially going up and down the hill. Trying to buy a new truck today. Debating back and forth 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Hopefully they come back with a deal like that. Hate price shopping just give me the best price so I can get back to work.

www.truecar.com will get you a great and possibly the lowest price that you can use at several dealerships and you can give that price to any other dealership and see their response. Way better than Costco, etc.

Yellowboat

Reaction score

After getting hit recently I bought q beater 1 ton duelly. I hate it, but it will work until I find the right diesel. I also bought a fleet trade in ranger that is 3 years old with a 17k miles on it. It has a 4 banger in it, and I get close too 30mpg in it. If you don't need a full size truck every day a ranger is not a bad choice as a 2nd truck. I was amazed at the power that 4 banger puts out.

NicPaus

Reaction score
After getting hit recently I bought q beater 1 ton duelly. I hate it, but it will work until I find the right diesel. I also bought a fleet trade in ranger that is 3 years old with a 17k miles on it. It has a 4 banger in it, and I get close too 30mpg in it. If you don't need a full size truck every day a ranger is not a bad choice as a 2nd truck. I was amazed at the power that 4 banger puts out.

I need to at least tow. The little 1/2 ton with 5.3 can tow 10k. Claims 16hwy 24 fwy. My 06 2500 gets 8 and 15. If I can get a good deal on 3/4 i will go that route and sell a truck. If I get 1/2 ton keep the 3/4 and have 5. I want another Diesel but will not drive enough to justify so shopping 6.0 gas 3/4 or 5.3 1/2.

NicPaus

Reaction score
www.truecar.com will get you a great and possibly the lowest price that you can use at several dealerships and you can give that price to any other dealership and see their response. Way better than Costco, etc.
Thanks I just checked it out. With the 2017 sales I got a lot better price from a random sales guy at a dealer I stopped at to check inventory. Truecar shows 6k off where dealers are offering up to 11k off. The trucks with not that much off 3/4 tons they are about 2k high on true car. I

zhandfull

Reaction score
Thats crazy the price drop off msrp.

Just bought a 2015 Sorento lease return for my wife. Still has balance of factory 5year/60,000 mile warranty for nearly the same price as your new Sentra. Really happy with the Sorento so far.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My mother-in-law has a Kia Sorento and it has been trouble free. Kia and Hyundai are making some decent cars. Coworker has the Hyundai Genesis with about 260K miles on it and has only had to replace either the alternator or starter.

Thats crazy the price drop off msrp.

Just bought a 2015 Sorento lease return for my wife. Still has balance of factory 5year/60,000 mile warranty for nearly the same price as your new Sentra. Really happy with the Sorento so far.