WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

KMET Radio DJ's...Anybody remember?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The two LA radio stations that I really liked, yet closed up shop, were:
KMET
KNAC

(OK, and the Mighty 690 when I was really young :D)

For me, their passing left a huge hole in the LA airwaves.

IMHO KLOS sucks ass, always has.
Mark and Brian? Seriously?

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
Smoked a joint with Jeff Gonzer on the air at the CA World Music Festival, LA Coliseum 1979:D

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
AT least Ladd's still around raising hell....Man, The Met was the best!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
KMET
KNAC

FUCK HOW OLD ARE YOU???? :champagne:

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Brings back a lot of memories of living in So Cal in the late 70's. Isn't KEMT the station that payed Dr. Demento on the weekend?

I was waiting for the Dr. Demento reference:D
I used to record the albums KLOS played on Sundays on my 30lb 20 d cell ghetto blaster:p

slowride

Reaction score
Before KMET was KYMS (before they went all Jesus). Hopped in my buddy's van for a road trip to Colorado in June '75 and listened to KYMS 'till it faded away somewhere around Blythe. Two weeks later came back thru Blythe and all we could get was Jesus music. Thought the world had ended. That's when KMET caught on big time.
It wasn't "counterculture", it was FM man!
Before that it was AM radio. Remember 93 KHJ "Boss Radio" and the Real Don Steele?

Last edited:

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
KMET
KNAC

I used to listen to them but after awhile they lost their appeal. I was done with them when they married each other:rolleyes: talk about jumping the shark:thumbsdown:skull

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
LMAO...touche :D

:champagne:

Mark and Brian WERE funny a couple three decades ago. My gawd, its painfull to listen to those two guys now. It's like they dont even wanna be there!!! Must be locked into a union contract or sumphin. They sound like two old guys on the porch of the retirement home. :thumbsdown

WildHorses24

Reaction score
KMET tweedle-dee!
Used to listen to KMET religiously back in the da. Good freind of mine actually had a Hondo named Whoo-Ya!

That's my dad's old boat, which was sold to a close family friend who still has it!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
KMET
KNAC

Oh shit... I remember the Mighty 690 too. damn, I'm not that old. :D KLOS is OK. Not enough metal for my flavor though. You can still stream KNAC online at KNAC.COM. KCAL over here in the IE was ok a few years ago when we moved here. They're starting to sound too much like KLOS though. Stupid ass morning show all the time, even on Saturday. And then the dumbass Raider games on Sunday. Play some damn music already. And not just Pink Floyd....gay. Sometimes I just put on the Direct TV music channels now when I'm in the backyard. I need to find a way to get the sound out from my computer so I can listen to the channels I have here.

pronstar

Reaction score
KLOS is OK. Not enough metal for my flavor though.

The thing that really turned me off to KLOS was when the Monsters of Rock toured in the late 80's.

KLOS had "Monsters of Rock" promos all the time prior to the concert, and the day/day before the show, all they played were songs from these bands...all of the bands except Metallica. They wouldn't play any Metallica at all. At that point, I was done with them.

I guess I hold grudges :D

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thats about the same time i stopped listening to them. I now listen to Kevin and Bean on KROQ.

:champagne:

Mark and Brian WERE funny a couple three decades ago. My gawd, its painfull to listen to those two guys now. It's like they dont even wanna be there!!! Must be locked into a union contract or sumphin. They sound like two old guys on the porch of the retirement home. :thumbsdown

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
The thing that really turned me off to KLOS was when the Monsters of Rock toured in the late 80's.

KLOS had "Monsters of Rock" promos all the time prior to the concert, and the day/day before the show, all they played were songs from these bands...all of the bands except Metallica. They wouldn't play any Metallica at all. At that point, I was done with them.

That sounds like KROQ style. They play all the gay ass emo punk stuff nowadays. But sure enough when someone like Tool comes to town, they do promo and act like they play their shit all the time. :rolleyes:

Duffster

Reaction score
You are totally old school if you remember KMET. :)

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
Smoked a few joints with the Burner at the LA Boat show. Found out later in the night that the girl I took to the show was Jim Ladd's ex. One hell of a night. :champagne:

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
KFJ on a small hand hold radio!:thumbsupMighty Metal hour on KMET!:thumbsupMark and Brian,STILL BLO,XM ONLY for me now.Do miiss KNAC.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thats about the same time i stopped listening to them. I now listen to Kevin and Bean on KROQ.

Kevin and Bean are awesome. Ralph must have a 200IQ or sumphin. The shit he comes up with is crazy funny!!!

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Boatfloating

100% Pimp 50% Of The Time
Reaction score
KFJ on a small hand hold radio!:thumbsupMighty Metal hour on KMET!:thumbsupMark and Brian,STILL BLO,XM ONLY for me now.Do miiss KNAC.

I remember Rick Dees on 93KHJ AM when AM round played music...

Boatfloating

100% Pimp 50% Of The Time
Reaction score
His humor was way bluer and funner then. :thumbsup
Ross,
Yes it was and his head was smaller too. He worked out at the same gym I did in Encino and was a super cool guy but once he hit the big time at Kiss he became a Dick Dees and the humor went with it....

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Before KMET was KYMS (before they went all Jesus). Hopped in my buddy's van for a road trip to Colorado in June '75 and listened to KYMS 'till it faded away somewhere around Blythe. Two weeks later came back thru Blythe and all we could get was Jesus music. Thought the world had ended. That's when KMET caught on big time.
It wasn't "counterculture", it was FM man!
Before that it was AM radio. Remember 93 KHJ "Boss Radio" and the Real Don Steele?

Anyone remember 1600 KWOW?? Just curious...it was my family's station from 1943 until 87 when they sold it. Magic Oldies. Always sponsored the Winternationals and all the events at Ontario Motor Speedway. Always had front row/starting line seats to all the events growing up from day one. First radio station IN N OUT ever advertised on and the Snyders were family friends too.
Gotta love press passes to just about any event in Socal growing up.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

AS I recall, they pulled the plug during Metallica at Monsters of Rock because everyone baraged the fences and all the chairs were flying.
Van Hagar sucked.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
That sounds like KROQ style. They play all the gay ass emo punk stuff nowadays. But sure enough when someone like Tool comes to town, they do promo and act like they play their shit all the time. :rolleyes:

Jed the fish back in the day!

pronstar

Reaction score
AS I recall, they pulled the plug during Metallica at Monsters of Rock because everyone baraged the fences and all the chairs were flying.
Van Hagar sucked.

I remember everyone going apeshit and rushing the stage...we made it to about 20 rows back from the stage. Everything was sort of a blur, though, I'm sure we killed a lot of brain cells at that show :champagne:

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Jed the fish back in the day!

Yup. Jeddum Fishum. I think he was one of the guys that would play the good stuff. Rodney on the Roq. Raymondo and the Blade. Nina Black right? Oh, and the black dude that ended up on MTV. Can't remember his name. And Love Line back in the day with Dr. Drew. used to go to sleep with that shit. :D

Parker Dreamin

Can I get a what what ???
Reaction score
hey, I was on the "payroll" for KLOS 95.5 for 3 hours once..... :champagne:

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
KMET
KNAC

was that KSPC... AM radio, wana say it was. :D:D

Anyone remember 1600 KWOW?? Just curious...it was my family's station from 1943 until 87 when they sold it. Magic Oldies. Always sponsored the Winternationals and all the events at Ontario Motor Speedway. Always had front row/starting line seats to all the events growing up from day one. First radio station IN N OUT ever advertised on and the Snyders were family friends too.

K W O double UUUUU....LOL my dad always had that playing in the shop. Here's a moldy oldie. Oldie but a goodie. Blast from the past....wow...lol:thumbsup:thumbsup

wishiknew

Reaction score

1600 KWOW Now Thats Old but I recall it anyone for 102.7 KKDJ ????

lebel409

Reaction score
KWOW was the station until 1/2 into 7th grade...then KKDJ...they played the cool new music...then at the end of 8th grade we upgraded to KMET.

I listened to KMET until I went to music school...then just the classical and jazz stations.

Luckily I missed all the 80's hair band/synth crap:D

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
was that KSPC... AM radio, wana say it was. :D:D

K W O double UUUUU....LOL my dad always had that playing in the shop. Here's a moldy oldie. Oldie but a goodie. Blast from the past....wow...lol:thumbsup:thumbsup

Good memory!! I have all the records sitting in storage right now!! The collection in total was 7.5 tons of vinyl.

Last edited:

Skee

Unknown Member
Reaction score
How in the world did this get bumped..I started this thread back in '09 :D...and by the way....KSPC is still a station here in L.A....it's,I believe it's like 88.7 FM..not sure tho

C-2

Reaction score
Good Stuff....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMET_(defunct)

The US Festival I still have my ticket stubs from all three days, good times...

http://www.marshallofrock.com/us-fe...ry-is-today-memories-and-a-recap-i-was-there/

One of the founders of Apples dream...

I was there too. I got lost from my group and was waiting for VH to come out, way in the back, and along came the Woz, shaking everybody's hands.

Saw my first set of live titties on that day. :thumbsup:D:thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
YES SIR!!

KMET was the best. KLOS is STILL ghay!!! :D

For all you OLD fucks out there...

Who were the first DJ's on KROQ, and what band were they from? Dont google it if you dont know...

They got throw off the air over and over and over again!!!

:skull:skull

Since no one is gonna get this...

It was Flo and Eddie. The founding members of The Turtles. They would be on late at night. Constantly cussing and talking shit!! The FCC would ban them, and the station would be off the air for awhile, and then they would get back on, and promptly be bannned again!!!

I had a friend who worked at the station back then, so i would know when they would be on. I was just a kid, and i would listen to the radio, under the covers, so my parents wouldnt hear. hehheehe

Crazy chit...

:)

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
It is a shame that FM radio has digressed into the computerized junk it is today.
I left SoCal in the summer of 76, and grew up with the MET and yes, I do remember KKDJ and it seems it sucked, LOL.
Anyway, Sacramento Radio SUCKED back then, and, to my way of thinking still does.
For awhile there we had KZAP which was a great station, but they are gone now too.
I remember driving around for months trying to find a decent FM station and there were about three stations on the whole band.
All the younger people up here listened to some station out of Woodland, KSFM, and I thought it sucked, and sucked hard.
I was grateful for getting out of SoCal when I did, but man I missed the MET...
and still do. We have Dishnet at home, and I have a TV in the shop and use the headphone jack to supply preamp signal to my stereo out there to get Sirius, and enjoy Dusty every once in awhile.

Last edited:

schiada001

Reaction score
Close....

Poorman was around for ages though. Hint: These two guys were only on at night, and your correct about them not lasting too long!! FCC wasnt puttin up with their chit!!! :D

I remember seeing Poorman judging and announcing a Bikini contest at Sundance many moons ago.:D

pronstar

Reaction score
It is a shame that FM radio has digressed into the computerized junk it is today.

With the exception of Angel's programming on AM 830, radio is all but unlistenable to me these days :thumbsdown

kahon

Reaction score
Just found

Attachments

• 1609.jpg
    1609.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 1606.jpg
    1606.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1626.jpg
    1626.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 1612.jpg
    1612.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 67

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I have a brand new KMET hat tucked away somewhere, I need to go find it shoot and post a pic to resurrect this thread again in a month or two...
Those stickers are awesome. I would love to have a stash of them.