• 100_0044.jpg
    100_0044.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 671
  • 100_0045.jpg
    100_0045.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 677

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that boat. Any info on it?

I am pretty sure my dad or John told me about the brown checker. It was an older guy who was cruising down Parker and saw one of the checkers in the group. He came by and was all fired up to see boats like his. I am told he just loved his boat and was in great shape. Funny thing is I asked my dad and he couldn't recall. I'm pretty sure its out there however.

So I am putting two and two together...Is your boat (Wiley Coyote) the one that was just recently found in storage for a long time? What a great find!

I remember back I had a chance to buy Harry Canary but I just got out of college and had no money. Now I wish I would have bought it. I hate 20/20.

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
I thought I remembered seeing a picture of John and Cleve's boat on the water in front of RedRock, but I havent found it. I know for fact that we dont have any pictures of your guys's boat. Just good memories. Are you guys making it out this Oct.?

I talked to my dad and he did say all thee (On to Glory, Wake Dancer and Harry Canary) took a cruise down Parker together. They said everyone was just staring at the cool sight. It would be great to find a pic of that.

Do you know the exact dates in October? I heard around the 4th. And yes, I would love to go...its been along time since I have been to Parker.

Last edited:

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Is your boat (Wiley Coyote) the one that was just recently found in storage for a long time? What a great find!

Yep that's mine, just fired it up yesterday!

I talked to my dad and he did say all thee (On to Glory, Wake Dancer and Harry Canary) took a cruise down Parker together. They said everyone was just staring at the cool sight. It would be great to find a pic of that.

That would be a cool photo!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Do you know the exact dates in October? I heard around the 4th. And yes, I would love to go...its been along time since I have been to Parker.

The Villegas's are going up Oct.3rd thru the 7th. I may try for that first weekend in Oct seeing as how weekdays are harder to get off of work.

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
Yep that's mine, just fired it up yesterday!

Cool, always nice to hear a new engine fire up! We are waiting for a new engine too! I can't wait to have it all together. The old engine...well I finished her off on the last river trip. She was old (ran over 25 years) and it was time to put her down.

Mondorally

Reaction score
From the description...

"The boat is all set up and ready for a few minor completions from the last paint job on the boat."

Wasn't sure if it was a repaint as in "let's repaint the original checkers" or a repaint as in "let's make it look like a 90's Eliminator" ;).

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
Here is another pic of Harry Canary my dad found. Its hard to see but better than nothing.

Attachments

• Harry Canary.jpg
    Harry Canary.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 727

Just Ducky

Reaction score
That picture of the blown flatty at the bottom of #52 is the Harpers 66.The Schiada lettering on the rear sides of the hull is Rassies handywork.I had that boat for a few years after they had it.Just noticed it.By the way congrats on gettin Wiley back in the water!

SGettmann

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just looking over this thread curious of the remaining checker boats. Love seeing all the other ones out there. My dad and I have a blue on blue checker that has been in the family for a long time. Right no we are giving it some "upgrades." The name of the boat is Wake Dancer and used to have a number 70 on it. So you can add it to the list. Let's see if the pic comes up.

Ryan, any interest in bringing the Schiada flatty to the US Open in Parker @ the end of September and pulling me? Will need to do some prep work, but wouldn't mind skiing the flatty class if you're up for pulling me. I have lifelines and helmets. Will need to xray rudder, make sure there is a kill switch, driver will need a physical/cpr class. Would be cool to get you out there. Circles @ parker are a blast....just remember I'm 200' behind the boat and wait till I get out of the turn before sticking your foot in it :D Very sweet flattie by the way!

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
Ryan, any interest in bringing the Schiada flatty to the US Open in Parker @ the end of September and pulling me? Will need to do some prep work, but wouldn't mind skiing the flatty class if you're up for pulling me. I have lifelines and helmets. Will need to xray rudder, make sure there is a kill switch, driver will need a physical/cpr class. Would be cool to get you out there. Circles @ Parker are a blast....just remember I'm 200' behind the boat and wait till I get out of the turn before sticking your foot in it :D Very sweet flattie by the way!

Sean I would totally be into pulling you around the river! I just don't know if she would be ready yet with the new engine going in as we speak. We can totally plan a future pull. Nice thing is, I am already CPR certified, we have a kill switch and we are getting the prop checked. With the extra ponies, we didn't want to leave anything to chance. But we have many other little "things" we are fixing on the boat other than the motor. It always seems that one project leads to another... I am going to get some pics up shortly.

BamBam

Reaction score
Sean I would totally be into pulling you around the river! I just don't know if she would be ready yet with the new engine going in as we speak. We can totally plan a future pull. Nice thing is, I am already CPR certified, we have a kill switch and we are getting the prop checked. With the extra ponies, we didn't want to leave anything to chance. But we have many other little "things" we are fixing on the boat other than the motor. It always seems that one project leads to another... I am going to get some pics up shortly.

I think he meant the other Ryan... The one that started this thread...

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
I think he meant the other Ryan... The one that started this thread...

You're right. Thanks for that. Sean and I actually go back to the college days and just got reconnected few weeks back. Seeing the name we share I just assumed... I was wondering why he was asking being he knows the boat was apart. Next time I will look at the quote closer.

bigboy308

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a Schiada checker or just a paint job that mimics?

[email protected]

Taken from today's Sacramento Craigslist

THANX!!

RyanPartridge

Reaction score

Attachments

• 3n43o33p75V65Z55T1a8s790a20c08ce41269.jpg
    3n43o33p75V65Z55T1a8s790a20c08ce41269.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 506
  • 3md3pe3le5W35X55R5a8s6aeb0b133c451c7d.jpg
    3md3pe3le5W35X55R5a8s6aeb0b133c451c7d.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 498
  • 3k83m53l65V35Q05P6a8s1a9d9000c2c21f39.jpg
    3k83m53l65V35Q05P6a8s1a9d9000c2c21f39.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 3k63m53l45P55R45S0a8sfc9d64f9f1cd1c2f.jpg
    3k63m53l45P55R45S0a8sfc9d64f9f1cd1c2f.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 489

SGettmann

Reaction score
You're right. Thanks for that. Sean and I actually go back to the college days and just got reconnected few weeks back. Seeing the name we share I just assumed... I was wondering why he was asking being he knows the boat was apart. Next time I will look at the quote closer.

Ryan (Blue Checkers) - I was asking you. Would love to get you out there on the course. I think you would go nuts driving. Take your time though and get the rigging and engine work done right. I've been in the middle of boat rebuilding projects for the past 5 years and know this stuff doesn't happen overnight. When you get her up and running, and are comfortable, would be great to meet up and would love to go for a ski behind your Schiada.

Here's a few photo's of flatty action at a ski race a few years back at Marin Stadium. One of my favorites.
Catalina_MarineStadium.jpg
Sean

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
Ryan (Blue Checkers) - I was asking you. Would love to get you out there on the course. I think you would go nuts driving. Take your time though and get the rigging and engine work done right. I've been in the middle of boat rebuilding projects for the past 5 years and know this stuff doesn't happen overnight. When you get her up and running, and are comfortable, would be great to meet up and would love to go for a ski behind your Schiada.

I will give you a call this weekend. And you know me, I would go crazy being at the races driving. There is noting better than a turn in a flatty and a skier in tow! Thanks for the offer.

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Here's a couple more photos of the white/blue flake boat in Thousand Oaks(bonesfab's buddy).

Attachments

• schiada01.jpg
    schiada01.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 648
  • schiada02.jpg
    schiada02.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 656

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
My buddy found these photos today and called me up. I've sent an email trying to contact the owner to get more info.

Abba-Zaba!:thumbsup:D

Attachments

• ABBA - ZABA.jpg.opt599x428o0,0s599x428.jpg
    ABBA - ZABA.jpg.opt599x428o0,0s599x428.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 644
  • Gene & Family ABBA - ZABA.jpg.opt599x412o0,0s599x412.jpg
    Gene & Family ABBA - ZABA.jpg.opt599x412o0,0s599x412.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 650
  • ABBA - ZABA Puddingstone Lake.jpg
    ABBA - ZABA Puddingstone Lake.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 656

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
Whoa! I really like Abba Boat! I wonder where those pics were taken. Any reply yet Ryan?

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Whoa! I really like Abba Boat! I wonder where those pics were taken. Any reply yet Ryan?

I think that's Lake Puddingstone. I never did get in contact with the owner. The guy who snapped the photos said he just met the owner(Gene), talked boats with him and didn't get contact info. Bummer...

Blue Checkers

Reaction score
Ryan - FYI. Ours is going in for gel-coat this week. Gonna get the cap rail and the back done. That and a few other things. I think I will start a new thread showing the progress of it. Do you think your friend who did your art- work would be interested in putting the name and number back on our boat?

Ryan L.

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Ryan - FYI. Ours is going in for gel-coat this week. Gonna get the cap rail and the back done. That and a few other things. I think I will start a new thread showing the progress of it. Do you think your friend who did your art- work would be interested in putting the name and number back on our boat?

Ryan L.

PM sent.

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
1. Your Move SS-19
2. Jiffy SS-4
3. King Me SK-38?
4. Instantly 57
5. Puppy Chow K-51
6. Hot Canary SS-70
7. On To Glory
8. Wiley Coyote
9. Goin' Places(Texas)
10. Bonesfab's buddys in Thousand Oaks(white w/blue checkers)
11. Harry Canary
12. Wake Dancer
13. Abba Zaba

Attachments

• IMG00389-20110618-1322.jpg
    IMG00389-20110618-1322.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG00391-20110618-1323.jpg
    IMG00391-20110618-1323.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 437

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
:thumbsup

Attachments

• CIMG0010.jpg
    CIMG0010.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 278
  • CIMG0006.jpg
    CIMG0006.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Hey Ryan saw you go by us notta regatta weekend. Boat looked great.

Sent from my iPhone paid for with Union money. :D

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Hey Ryan saw you go by us notta regatta weekend. Boat looked great.

Yeah I saw you guys by Riverland, your "beater" ain't lookin' too bad either.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Yeah I saw you guys by Riverland, your "beater" ain't lookin' too bad either.

Yep that's where it was. Thanks. Have to get a closer look at yours sometime.

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
1. Instantly 57 (Bill Dunsmore Sr., driven by Tony Maricich)
2. Your Move SS-19 (Leonard Schiada, driver Dick Powell)
3. Jiffy SS-4 (Al Grundstrom owner/driver)
4. King Me SK-38 (Ron O'Brien)
5. Checkmate SK-26 (Jack Pelican, driver Clem McCullah)
6. Hot Canary SS-70 (Bill Faulkner out of Utah)
7. Puppy Chow K-51 (Marshall Souza)
8. On To Glory
9. Wiley Coyote
10. Wake Dancer
11. Harry Canary
12. Bonesfab's buddys in Thousand Oaks(white w/blue flake checkers)
13. Goin' Places (Texas)
14. Abba Zabba

Thanks to Jerry(Sharp Shooter) for the ads!

Attachments

• checkmate.jpg
    checkmate.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 475
  • Schiada_oct_68_pb.jpg
    Schiada_oct_68_pb.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
P

Patterson K-81

Great Thread! The Schiadas were outstanding boats... Here is a great picture of our Patterson at Parker with "Your Move." My dad also drove Psychedellic on a couple of occasions.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 422

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
Great Thread! The Schiadas were outstanding boats... Here is a great picture of our Patterson at Parker with "Your Move." My dad also drove Psychedellic on a couple of occasions.

Thanks for posting that photo of Your Move!

Ron Woodruff donated the Cary prop from Psychedelic to my boat years ago and it's still in use today. :thumbsup

Attachments

• CRW_0050.jpg
    CRW_0050.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 347

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
This boat was originally built to be a K boat but the fella who ordered it changed his mind due to the color(apricot) of the checkers. John Villegas has owned it since he was in his early 20's. After a short sleep it's about to be completely freshened up and back on the water.:thumbsup

[video=youtube;LhPHXcDItbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhPHXcDItbc[/video]

Last edited:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Keep eggin him on Ryan! JV's a good guy and I'd love to see his boat back on the water.

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
I believe Mr . Phil Bergeron also drove Schiada flatties in the day:thumbsup

guest hs

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just looking over this thread curious of the remaining checker boats. Love seeing all the other ones out there. My dad and I have a blue on blue checker that has been in the family for a long time. Right no we are giving it some "upgrades." The name of the boat is Wake Dancer and used to have a number 70 on it. So you can add it to the list. Let's see if the pic comes up.

This is my next door neighbors boat

Krazi4madfun

Reaction score
Looks like it might be the Dunsmore's old boat. They sold it ages ago and it was used as a family ski boat last they heard.

Do you own this boat now? Where is it located?

Yes, I currently own this boat. It was painted white and blue when I bought it. I had it blasted and revealed the original checkered gel coat.

IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG IMG_3221.jpg IMG_0448.jpg

Krazi4madfun

Reaction score
Awesome. So cool to see people saving these and bringing them back. If it is Dunsmore's "Suddenly" it sure has some history

To be honest, you are the first person to give me so much as a name. I would love to know more. There wasn't a name uncovered in the gel coat. I found the vintage picture that sure looks like it, nothing more.

BamBam

Reaction score
To be honest, you are the first person to give me so much as a name. I would love to know more. There wasn't a name uncovered in the gel coat. I found the vintage picture that sure looks like it, nothing more.

I think I gave you the wrong name though. Billy's boat was Suddenly I think Bill Sr. used Instantly as noted in an earlier post in this thread. PM Ryan he has a lot of history on the old checkerboard (and other old Schiada) flat bottoms.

RyanPartridge

Reaction score

When you found that boat panted blue/white...was it named Nothin' Fancy by chance? Did it have a hole in the bottom?

Krazi4madfun

Reaction score
When you found that boat panted blue/white...was it named Nothin' Fancy by chance? Did it have a hole in the bottom?

I believe it was named "Nothin Fancy". No hole in the bottom just a lot of cracks. When the old floor was pulled up, it had two layers of plywood. So maybe they repaired it. What can you tell me about this boat?

Attachments

• IMG_9367.jpg
    IMG_9367.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 120

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
I believe it was named "Nothin Fancy". No hole in the bottom just a lot of cracks. When the old floor was pulled up, it had two layers of plywood. So maybe they repaired it. What can you tell me about this boat?

I apologize for the crappy photos. I took these in 2009 before I had a fancy cell phone camera. The boat was for sale in Los Angeles somewhere, maybe Santa Monica, and parked in the lower structure of an apartment building. I glanced it over, crawled under and found a crack under it possibly from a prop ear coming loose. It wasn't what I was looking for at the time so I passed. Had I known what was under the paint...I may have brought it home.

If it is Bill Dunsmore's Suddenly...it was the first checkerboard boat Leonard Schiada built. It was drag and marathon raced in the mid 60's. I believe the boat was laid up before the mold was "fixed" for better handling/turning in 1967. Did the boat come with any paperwork or an ID tag riveted to the transom or kickboard? The hull number would be an "A" follow by a number, likely a double digit number.

Attachments

• 0528092058d.jpg
    0528092058d.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 0528092058c.jpg
    0528092058c.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 0528092058b.jpg
    0528092058b.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 0528092058a.jpg
    0528092058a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 161

Krazi4madfun

Reaction score
I apologize for the crappy photos. I took these in 2009 before I had a fancy cell phone camera. The boat was for sale in Los Angeles somewhere, maybe Santa Monica, and parked in the lower structure of an apartment building. I glanced it over, crawled under and found a crack under it possibly from a prop ear coming loose. It wasn't what I was looking for at the time so I passed. Had I known what was under the paint...I may have brought it home.

If it is Bill Dunsmore's Suddenly...it was the first checkerboard boat Leonard Schiada built. It was drag and marathon raced in the mid 60's. I believe the boat was laid up before the mold was "fixed" for better handling/turning in 1967. Did the boat come with any paperwork or an ID tag riveted to the transom or kickboard? The hull number would be an "A" follow by a number, likely a double digit number.

Yes, that is definitely the boat I have. I did purchase it out of an underground parking garage in LA off of Wilshire I believe. I would love to know more of the history as a checkered flatty. I do have paperwork, it is registered as a '72 SPCN. I have not been able to locate a VIN number on the hull. I did take it to schiada in Long Beach to have it verified as an original though.