WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Reset cable modem every day WTF?

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Any quick things I should check before I go buy a new cable modem? Current set-up has been working fine for years. Within the past week I loose my connection daily at random times at least once per day. A "repair connection", renew IP address drill does not fix it. I have to power off the modem and then renew the IP to reconnect. I'm with cox cable. I think I will call them but thought I may save myself some frustration if it is an easy fix or just a bad modem. Motorola cable modem is about 5 years old. Netgear router is about a year old and I run both hard-wired connections thru built-in home network and also wireless for the laptop.

Thanks in advance!

screaming pete

Reaction score
Any quick things I should check before I go buy a new cable modem? Current set-up has been working fine for years. Within the past week I loose my connection daily at random times at least once per day. A "repair connection", renew IP address drill does not fix it. I have to power off the modem and then renew the IP to reconnect. I'm with cox cable. I think I will call them but thought I may save myself some frustration if it is an easy fix or just a bad modem. Motorola cable modem is about 5 years old. Netgear router is about a year old and I run both hard-wired connections thru built-in home network and also wireless for the laptop.

Thanks in advance!

same thing happening on my end wtf. new netgear wireless modem they installed worked for about 2 weeks so i guess i have to get on line with them with all 3 laptops tonight and figure it out

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last year,I called ATT for service and the guy replaced the modem for free

Jyruiz

Next to this Hottie.
Reaction score
Yup, time to replace the modem.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I had the same issue with a Belkin N1 wireless router. Worked great for 6 months. Then all the sudden daily resets needed.

I just went and bought another and were working fine. I dunno.

Enen

Reaction score
I went through most of the wireless routers out there. Had the same problem. I bought the Apple Airport Extreme, and I haven't had to reset it yet.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Is it the Modem or the router that needs resetting? If it's the modem, i'd be calling cocks to have them replace it. If it's the router, you're on your own...

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Is it the Modem or the router that needs resetting? If it's the modem, i'd be calling cocks to have them replace it. If it's the router, you're on your own...

Cox gives you the option to buy your own modem, which I did. That way I don't have to lease one from them. Anyway, I'm not sure of the cause but re-setting the modem fixes the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will buy a new modem and see what happens.:thumbsup

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I will add this. The Wife buys a new Mac Probook and also a Itouch. Both are connecting to the Linksys wireless router along with my PC laptop.

No problems till the mac's show up. I had labeled the Wireless Router simply linksys and used simple wep encription. the a nieghbor down the street uses the Linksys name as well. Then all hell breaks loose. Reseting the modem, router several times a day.

Then I renamed the SSID on the router to a unique name. All issues went away. Seems like my computer, her computer and maybe even the neighbors where locking up the router depending on whose signal was better. good luck.

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
I will add this. The Wife buys a new Mac Probook and also a Itouch. Both are connecting to the Linksys wireless router along with my PC laptop.

No problems till the mac's show up. I had labeled the Wireless Router simply linksys and used simple wep encription. the a nieghbor down the street uses the Linksys name as well. Then all hell breaks loose. Reseting the modem, router several times a day.

Then I renamed the SSID on the router to a unique name. All issues went away. Seems like my computer, her computer and maybe even the neighbors where locking up the router depending on whose signal was better. good luck.

I'll try re-naming and see if that helps, thanks!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Interesting, I've been having issues also. It's not the modem, modem always plays along, it's either the dead computer that it's attached to or the linksys. Currently, the cable is hooked up in an outbuilding that used to be the office. We are in the process of getting the whole she-bang moved into the house. Hopefully that will help.

drtywhat

Reaction score
Cox gives you the option to buy your own modem, which I did. That way I don't have to lease one from them. Anyway, I'm not sure of the cause but re-setting the modem fixes the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will buy a new modem and see what happens.:thumbsup

I would have cox come out and check the signal rates in the lines. I had the same problem as you and my signal rates were low causing the modem to lose sync. They put in powered amplifiers on my lines into the house and now everything is perfect!

H2_Whoa

Don't Member
Reaction score
haha.. IT inside geek joke.

YouTube - The Website Is Down- Sales Guy vs. Web Dude[/url]

That was some funny shit - Thanks.

To reduce residential router problems, look into DD-WRT for a firmware upgrade.

As for cable modems, I know nothing about them but would like to hear any recomendations.

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
That was some funny shit - Thanks.

To reduce residential router problems, look into DD-WRT for a firmware upgrade.

As for cable modems, I know nothing about them but would like to hear any recomendations.

Ohhh, the irony. :D
You have an extra http://www.tag in your link and even correcting it doesn't take you to the firmware upgrade you mentioned, ya might want to fix it, I'm curious. Thanks :)

C-2

Reaction score
FWIW, I have Charter and they have been wrenching all summer longer on their crap. NOPE, nothing on our end, they say whenever I called about it.

Then last week they announce an "upgrade" to their system.

That's gonna cost them a year of 20meg download for $40/month...at least, that's my plan :champagne:

H2_Whoa

Don't Member
Reaction score
Ohhh, the irony. :D
You have an extra http://www.tag in your link and even correcting it doesn't take you to the firmware upgrade you mentioned, ya might want to fix it, I'm curious. Thanks :)

Whoops, copy / pasting too early in the am. I think it's fixed now...
Thanks for the heads up.

C-2

Reaction score
Whoops, copy / pasting too early in the am. I think it's fixed now...
Thanks for the heads up.

Yup, I reset the link 3 times and bam, it works now.:D

Thanks for the info.

DirtyWhiteBoy

WILL WORK FOR FUEL
Reaction score
I'll try re-naming and see if that helps, thanks!

Did this help? I would expect this to only help with the wireless side.

I had the same issue in Indy with my Roadrunner modem. I took it in and traded it out......... viola! issue resolved. keep us posted, I'm always curious about these things

Good luck!

Outnumbered

Don't tax me bro!
Reaction score
Did this help? I would expect this to only help with the wireless side.

I had the same issue in Indy with my Roadrunner modem. I took it in and traded it out......... viola! issue resolved. keep us posted, I'm always curious about these things

Good luck!

I checked and I had already set it up with a very unique name from the initial set-up. I was not using the generic assigned name. Other than that, I have not worked on it. Too busy the last few days to mess with it. I'll report back when I get it resolved. Thanks again for the help.