WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gelcoat 102

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Ok..... So you spray the gel colors onto the mold and then it get's ??????? which makes it bond to the fiberglass layup of the boat :headscratch:
:DYeah,pretty much.:cool:

The fiberglass is layed up on top of the gel.The gel and resin in the layup are basicly the same material,so they bond.The boat is then pulled from the mold as a painted unit.

You really want a mind fock T&Y?,read Froggystyles Fiberglass construction 101 thread.It will blow your mind.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
:DYeah,pretty much.:cool:

The fiberglass is layed up on top of the gel.The gel and resin in the layup are basicly the same material,so they bond.The boat is then pulled from the mold as a painted unit.

You really want a mind fock T&Y?,read Froggystyles Fiberglass construction 101 thread.It will blow your mind.

So in between the Gel and the Lay up is the Gel kinda in a suspended state meaning not fully cured or something? That is real trippy having to desing from the outside in.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So in between the Gel and the Lay up is the Gel kinda in a suspended state meaning not fully cured or something? That is real trippy having to desing from the outside in.
The gel does dry.There is a chemical bond between the gel and resin,they're pretty much the same material,only the gel is pigmented to give color.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Just a couple of shots of the newest 270 going in right now.Customer picked colors/design,he wanted simple graphics.Many thanks to people who are return customers,it's guys like this keeping the industry afloat.:thumbsup Deck shots next week.
Interesting note,in a world of step bottom boats,this is not a step bottom,but a conventional V.

270.jpg

270 color.jpg

hallett21

Reaction score
how do you spray the gel evenly? just a lot of practice? Are there high and low spots?

Cooperider

Reaction score
I love a mold that is so polished, that its hard to take a picture.

Luv2gofast

Reaction score
Man this is soooooo cool!!! Thank you guys:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

I had an idea of how this was done but to see it is AWESOME. It's still a bit complicated for my feeble brain but I would love to try it.

So many things to learn and so little time...

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Bumping this thread for those who wonder how its done.
Pssst!Get out of the lounge once in a while;)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Moar pics!!!!!

Forgot about these.Boat damaged in storage fire.Getting a new deck,interior,basically new from the trim line up.
The engine fires and runs,the guy even towed it in from Parker on the tires under it from the fire.The top of the deck was scorched bad,steering wheel melted,gauges destroyed,interior melted.The bottom is sound.
The guy is paying out of pocket for all this.

SCBLLC

Reaction score
Dang that was long, lucky for me I've seen you tape shoot some in the past.

Backlash

Reaction score
GC, the owner of that boat was lucky. There were several others (Boats and vehicles if I remember correctly), that burned to the ground. My friend keeps a MasterCraft Maristar in the same storage facility and he only suffered some smoke damage; nothing serious.

The story I heard was that someone left some chemical soaked rags somewhere that ignited from the heat. I'm not an arson investigator but that seems like a logical possibility.

GC, post up some more pics and see if you cant drag some other members out of the "Lounge!"

Stay safe and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Henry

Gelcoater

Reaction score
GC, the owner of that boat was lucky. There were several others (Boats and vehicles if I remember correctly), that burned to the ground. My friend keeps a MasterCraft Maristar in the same storage facility and he only suffered some smoke damage; nothing serious.

The story I heard was that someone left some chemical soaked rags somewhere that ignited from the heat. I'm not an arson investigator but that seems like a logical possibility.

GC, post up some more pics and see if you cant drag some other members out of the "Lounge!"

Stay safe and keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Henry
Sorry I didn't get pics when it was done.

Side note about this boat.The gel you see in the pic isn't what the customer has.
When we did the job they compound buffed a small spot on the side so I could match the pin and blue colors.
Did the job but it took the laminators a couple of days to show up so it sat the weekend unlaminated.
Chris started buffing the sides of the hull to get the project rolling along and...the white wasn't white,it was light gray.
I sprayed the base white,never even have the base a second thought,neither did they.
So,it fortunately for them hadn't been laminated yet so they blew it out and we did it again.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get pics when it was done.

Side note about this boat.The gel you see in the pic isn't what the customer has.
When we did the job they compound buffed a small spot on the side so I could match the pin and blue colors.
Did the job but it took the laminators a couple of days to show up so it sat the weekend unlaminated.
Chris started buffing the sides of the hull to get the project rolling along and...the white wasn't white,it was light gray.
I sprayed the base white,never even have the base a second thought,neither did they.
So,it fortunately for them hadn't been laminated yet so they blew it out and we did it again.

Just found this thread with your hyperlink, thank you so much for spending the time to document all this, you and retaocleg and the others in your profession are true artists. Also, I think I saw shots of the Schiada 43 in skunkworks phase if this is the silver monster they just finished. :thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Just found this thread with your hyperlink, thank you so much for spending the time to document all this, you and retaocleg and the others in your profession are true artists. Also, I think I saw shots of the Schiada 43 in skunkworks phase if this is the silver monster they just finished. :thumbsup
:) Thank you for taking the time to wade through it;)
Retaocleg is the man:thumbup:

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Bumping this thread with a question.

Is the whole mold sprayed with clear first? Or is clear only used on the colors? Has Gel always been used with a clear coat on top?

Awesome thread BTW [emoji106]

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Bumping this thread with a question.

Is the whole mold sprayed with clear first? Or is clear only used on the colors? Has Gel always been used with a clear coat on top?

Awesome thread BTW [emoji106]
Depends on the application.
Your old metal flake boats..clear everywhere.
White or solid colors typically not cleared.Clear gel will actually change the tint on white,yellowing it.
We use clears to protect some colors from sun fading,and to float pearls,flake and to protect the color when we fade(blend) a color.For example flames that fade from red to orange to yellow.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
28Eliminator,thanks for reminding me of this thread,it could use some updated content.:thumbup:

So,the current project. image.jpg

A 28 Speedster,getting a single Merc 1350:thumbup::thumbup:

The Eliminator text and Speedster text will be Gelcoat,in the mold,with clear and pearl.The Orange is a 3 stage shot,clear,clear with gold dust and solid burnt orange.The black stripes are also a 3 stage shot,clear,clear with silver ice Pearl and black.
As I write this the hull section is complete and in lamination.
The deck will be shot in the morning.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I need to send out a huge thanks to Dave Barr at Cal Signs and Graphix for supplying me with decals for the text on this project.View Daves work here

www.calsignsandgraphix.com

He supplied low tack stickers in reverse for me to use as a stencil to trace with fine line tape.
In a perfect world I could have just asked him to supply me with a spray mask,but the styrene and other chemicals in Gelcoat attack that material causing it to stretch,break and snap.Tried it before,epic fail.

So the decal needs to be applied,masked around,then traced with 3M green fine line tape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 274
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 271

JRider

Reaction score
Great thread. Sprayed some gel the first time this year on a couple repairs on my STV. I have now acquired a 17ft picklefork mold and will be attempting my first full boat.

How long can you go before laminating and still get a good chemical bond? Also, using poly Gel in mold, is there anything special that needs to be done to use Vinylester lamination?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Great thread. Sprayed some gel the first time this year on a couple repairs on my STV. I have now acquired a 17ft picklefork mold and will be attempting my first full boat.

How long can you go before laminating and still get a good chemical bond? Also, using poly Gel in mold, is there anything special that needs to be done to use Vinylester lamination?

Are you asking how long you "should" wait or how long can you wait?
Typically we let them sit for 6-12 hours before laminating.
I have seen some started sooner on a warm day.
I have seen some let sit over the weekend but that makes me nervous.
The issue one may encounter there is possible pre release;the gel releases from the mold before or during lamination and you get a part not true to the mold...warped.

You will have no issues using polyester gelcoat with vinylester resin lamination.
Make sure you are using air inhibited gelcoat and not gel mfg'd for repair work containing wax.

Post some pics of your prodject along the way,I'm probably not the only one interested in seeing it.:thumbup:

JRider

Reaction score
Here is the boat, only a few made around 1998 time frame. Team Hawaiian made these in Jet configuration. Going outboard on it for more passenger area and will have a small sun pad like an STV Euro.

Sorry for the Hijack

Attachments

• IMG_20131015_103512_037.jpg
    IMG_20131015_103512_037.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 275

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Some shots of a recent 290S deck and hatch going into the mold.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jonnyd

Reaction score

Looking at the pictures of the white it appears that it has an orange peel texture. I realize I'm looking at the side that is going to adhere to the fiberglass, but wondering about aftermarket repairs and repaints. Does gel go on really thick and then need a lot of wet sanding and polishing?

Many years ago I worked in a body shop as a painters helper and did some painting on cars, but always wondered about refinishing a boat.

Great informational thread. Thanks!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Looking at the pictures of the white it appears that it has an orange peel texture. I realize I'm looking at the side that is going to adhere to the fiberglass, but wondering about aftermarket repairs and repaints. Does gel go on really thick and then need a lot of wet sanding and polishing?

Many years ago I worked in a body shop as a painters helper and did some painting on cars, but always wondered about refinishing a boat.

Great informational thread. Thanks!

Depending on the job and who's doing it, it could be a thin film to cover a scratch and lightly sanded, or a bit of beech rash that is dabbed in if not too bad and sanded down to flat.

Check out some of the threads in the from the mold section and you'll probably find some threads with the front and rear cap behind filled and smoothed. There you have thick application needing a ton of sanding transitioning and thinning into existing gelcoat aiming for a seamless transition.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
B3174B27-5A1D-4923-8E18-02E947B0F8AD.jpeg
DFBD8D72-0D02-4D67-B9B4-1D5243B9C447.jpeg
4CC3D91E-29ED-493A-BA21-F0C1D8156B7A.jpeg

So.
This is what happens on a cold and humid day and Gelcoater doesn’t get things juuuust right.
We blow all the gelcoat out of the mold and start over.
F&@K! :mad:

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
That Flippin sucks, hopefully it is a rarity. :mad:

lenmann

Reaction score
Ay caramba! Little consolation but it looks pretty good in your hand right there.

Is that silver/greymetallic right out of the can with that much flake or is that your custom recipe?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Ay caramba! Little consolation but it looks pretty good in your hand right there.

Is that silver/greymetallic right out of the can with that much flake or is that your custom recipe?
A simple recipe;)
Customer wanted something a little darker than out of the can silver, so we added a little black.
Other colors on this boat are white and yellow.
There’s a few pics of the rendering in the Eliminator Daily thread.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A couple of shots from today’s birth.
I wasn’t crazy about the color combo...on paper.
But it has a somewhat dark and sinister look to it.
16E82E6A-6331-4DF9-9E42-B5A6B6E5290C.jpeg
66A27A10-D770-496D-8857-FA3C6F1922D8.jpeg
190E312F-1D19-44BE-9F89-136D5C0D6DE0.jpeg

Is raw, hasn’t been sanded/buffed yet.
It will only shine more from here

Gelcoater

Reaction score
36BF17DF-CBCB-4299-83D9-3EA28EBE200B.jpeg
D4F70FEA-9CDF-49B1-B690-74220DEC4920.jpeg
44FD8D98-9AF4-4D73-B0D5-DEFF92E4E7D6.jpeg
5C29DF95-6D42-4B3C-B588-BDAE49CCAE2D.jpeg
A few pics from today’s shoot.

It was like a little vacation, lol.
In an age where giant 28 deck boats are the norm, stepping in to do a little 19? With some freedom to make something with a bit of flash but not up in your face bold, it was the most “fun” I’ve had working in quite some time.

The lil gal is getting a 250R outboard rumor has it. That should be fun.:)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
View attachment 804441 View attachment 804442 View attachment 804443 View attachment 804444 A few pics from today’s shoot.

In an age where giant 28 deck boats are the norm, stepping in to do a little 19? With some freedom to make something with a bit of flash but not up in your face bold, it was the most “fun” I’ve had working in quite some time.

Is there a rendering I can’t wait to see this one out of the mold :cool:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
View attachment 804441 View attachment 804442 View attachment 804443 View attachment 804444 A few pics from today’s shoot.

Barron boats?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Is there a rendering I can’t wait to see this one out of the mold :cool:
No:cool:
It was a Thursday “you want to paint a boat?”
A Friday tape and a Saturday shoot.

It’s just what came out with a few colors to choose from and a butt load of tape:D
Barron boats?
Yes.:cool:
He’s been bugging me to do one

I might have mentioned. I like little boats :cool:
This will be a bit of an old school flashback, with modern power.
Outboard:cool:
It’s simple, a little bling, only a few colors.
Three actually. Just varying shades of one:cool: