Scicon Tech - Top

Ducky - Top

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mild 454 build

Engine building character obnoxious001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 111 Times

Mild 454 build

Ok,, working on a mild 454 build for a certain jet boat in Utah. Probably something over 500 HP, but don't think it will be dynoed due to budget. Plans call for .060" over 4 bolt block,, forged crank and pistons,, 990 heads and a hydraulic roller cam.

Any interest in seeing a photo essay on this one?

Thanks
    Thanked 21 Times

I always enjoy the threads personally. 60 over is a 496?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Community View Post
    I always enjoy the threads personally. 60 over is a 496?
    I believe .60 over is a 468. A 496 is a .60 over 454 with a 4 1/4 inch stroker crank. Stock 454 crank is 4 inch.

Thanks
    Thanked 9 Times
    At that +/-500 level, how critical is the hydraulic cam? Is it dependent on intake and exhaust?

Pics are always good!

Thanks
    Thanked 111 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Halvecto View Post
    At that +/-500 level, how critical is the hydraulic cam? Is it dependent on intake and exhaust?

Pics are always good!
    500 HP is a very conservative estimate for this engine. I built a "budget" 468 awhile back that dynoed 517 HP with a flat tappet hydraulic cam.

It's always important to match the cam to the rest of the parts in an engine, rather than trying to build an engine around a cam design. Not only does the type of induction and exhaust come into play, but also the type of boat,, type of gas,, how the boat (or car) will be used,, rpm range desired, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3 Times
    Barry, I for one always enjoy your builds if for no other reason that I "may" learn sumthin......

Iff'n you're willing, I'm sure the gang would enjoy it.

Thanks
    Thanked 111 Times
    I have a block ready to go for this build,, and just got a brand new set of KB forged pistons. Sending to balance tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    Hi. I'm the "certain jet boat in Utah" owner. I'd like to see the build documented of course.

I think everyone already knows why I went with Barry for the build, but the reason for changing the engine was due to the rear support bearing having no clearance to the pump and failing.

With Barry's permission, here are a couple of pics. Engine is going into 1974 Starbuck. My aim is to keep everything as original as possible. Original far out wavy gravy graphics on silver flake gel.

This is how bad the condition of the stringers was. Note mounts were lag screwed with galvanized screws. Saturated with water. Rear mount was two angle pieces from a cut down bell housing directly to pump grate mount. I don't know how the motor stayed in the boat.

New stringers and bulkhead layed out on West System. I'm no handyman. I followed original set of stringers and found them to be off-center a bit.

Glass and paint, tanks fitted. Original had a deck covering the stringers. Engine mounts set for 3.6 degrees.

Still working with Barry on cam options and will most likely opt for solid lifters and dyno pull. Pretty excited about moving forward on this.
    Last edited by Starbuck74; 02-20-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 53 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck74 View Post
    Hi. I'm the certain jet boat in Utah owner. I'd like to see the build documented of course.

I can answer any questions on why I went with this type of build. I think everyone already knows why I went with Barry for the build.

Welcome Mr Certin jet boater
    good looking boat
    Last edited by Outlaw; 12-15-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 0 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    Ok,, working on a mild 454 build for a certain jet boat in Utah. Probably something over 500 HP, but don't think it will be dynoed due to budget. Plans call for .060" over 4 bolt block,, forged crank and pistons,, 990 heads and a hydraulic roller cam.

Any interest in seeing a photo essay on this one?
    Plans have changed. Going with solid roller and dyno pull.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast