WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

woodgrain and metalflake?

Gelcoater

Reaction score
from time to time i get a call from a mfg. that want to build a boat for stock or for a show and want to do something"different" from what the've been doing. i always throw out the woodgrain thing and you should hear the reactions.the best one was about 6 years ago, the owner of the company[i wont use any real names,so lets call them DaveyCraft]lookes at me with a sour lemon face,shaking his head and says "you gotta quit smokin that shit,man". so what do you guys think?wood:thumbsup or no?metalflake:thumbsupor:thumbsdown?

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Depends on the 'era' of the boat or the intended era.

Danny (DCM) is building boats using a thirty year old mold/style. In his case, I wouldn't mind seeing pecalon wood and/or metalflake.

Schiada could throw in some pecalon and I wouldn't mind.

I don't think a new DCB would look right with either!

Carl

scjohn

Reaction score
The company I work for ProLink Materials, a specialty coatings manufacturer developed transaprent gel coat colors a few years back. Ultra did a few boats and Trident did one too, all of them came out very nice. As we were introducing this product the market tanked and we put our efforts elsewhere. We Also have a few silver metallic's that do not harden in the pail and or develop buggars. After you lay down clear(TX2) shoot in one of the transparent colors with silver behind it, then white or black to back up the silver and you get a very deep looking candy effect not possible with standard gelcoat tints.

ProLink can be reached at 858-486-9834.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Gelcoater, I'm all for a bitchen woodgrain.. Not just a pacalon though, maybe an exotic wood?

RD

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Gelcoater, I'm all for a bitchen woodgrain.. Not just a pacalon though, maybe an exotic wood?

RD
before Eliminator moved the glass shop to Peris,there were a couple roles back in a corner, at least 20 years old one was a mahogany, the other was i think oak.never could talk bob into using it:grumble:

Roger 1

Reaction score
I LOVE woodgrain! Some of my favorite was done on the 26 foot sleekcraft abmassador. Classy touch!

H20W8STER

Reaction score
I've got the 1978 Spectra 24XS Cowpalace Show Boat I LOVE the Woodgrain and the CLASS it seems to add. Everyone that sees it says "Man I remember those boats" Looks Classic. So I'm all in on the woodgrain.;)

Gelcoater

Reaction score
The company I work for ProLink Materials, a specialty coatings manufacturer developed transaprent gel coat colors a few years back. Ultra did a few boats and Trident did one too, all of them came out very nice. As we were introducing this product the market tanked and we put our efforts elsewhere. We Also have a few silver metallic's that do not harden in the pail and or develop buggars. After you lay down clear(TX2) shoot in one of the transparent colors with silver behind it, then white or black to back up the silver and you get a very deep looking candy effect not possible with standard gelcoat tints.

ProLink can be reached at 858-486-9834.
so this candy color sounds cool,but id hate to be the repair guy trying to fix a deep scratch.is this simular to Duratech Electric blue? what colors? and have you tried backing it with gold in place of silver? mabee i could try a candy over silver metalflake or......

scjohn

Reaction score
No its not like the duratec. The base resin for both the candy colors and the silver matalflake base is very similar to Valspar TX2. We have not shot it over gold metalflake base because we were not able to make a stable gold base. If you have worked with any of the currently available silver metalflakes available from the big gelcoat suppliers you know how they do not cover that well and how they can catalyze themselves in the pail, hence the 30 day shelf life. Our silver metalflake gelcoat base comes with a year of shelf life. In addition our silver covers very well and we can vary the size and loading of the flakes, to create a "Lexus" looking silver as well as a grainier looking silver and anything in between. Right now every silver boat looks basically the same because of the limited availability from the big gel suppliers.

As far as the Candy's go we have 10 or so colors, 2 reds, 2 blues, gold, orange, lime, rootbeer, green, burgundy(blood) and few other colors I can't remember. If you would like some samples call me and i can hook you up.

FYI - We also make the flat clear and black that DCB has used on a few boats. In addition we have epoxy and urethane in mold coating available in clear and custom colors. Repairs are no more difficult than repairing a large faded area, just an extra layer of base plus the layer of clear.

John 858-486-9834

Sorry Dave if this is too much spamming

Last edited:

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Just got this FLAKE done, subtle yet flashy in the sunlight, watcha think ?

Attachments

• 1113100916.jpg
    1113100916.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 336

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
So...I was just sorting through all the threads and this one caught my eye. My boat is a 1978 Kona Mini Daycruiser...it is Woodgrain and Royal Blue Metalflake. The boat spent several years outdoors uncovered. Needless to say, the clear is shot. I have tried to bring out the shine again. Waaaaay more work than I have the muscles for~~~ Wax on...Wax off = PAIN!!! LOL!!! I am getting OLD~
I would like an idea of how much it might cost to have the boat wet sanded, buffed & polished and then sealed??? I really don't know what a shop would do or what I SHOULD expect a shop to do.

Attachments

• DSCF3015.jpg
    DSCF3015.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 155

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So...I was just sorting through all the threads and this one caught my eye. My boat is a 1978 Kona Mini Daycruiser...it is Woodgrain and Royal Blue Metalflake. The boat spent several years outdoors uncovered. Needless to say, the clear is shot. I have tried to bring out the shine again. Waaaaay more work than I have the muscles for~~~ Wax on...Wax off = PAIN!!! LOL!!! I am getting OLD~
I would like an idea of how much it might cost to have the boat wet sanded, buffed & polished and then sealed??? I really don't know what a shop would do or what I SHOULD expect a shop to do.

Define "the clear is shot"
Meaning,is it dull or is it flaking off?
Can you feel the texture of the flake?

doubleeagle

Reaction score
Nothing like a little makeup and some new (alpha) Jewels to dress up a 40 year old gal.

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 20150530_154617.jpg
    20150530_154617.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20150530_154644 (1).jpg
    20150530_154644 (1).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 164

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Nothing like a little makeup and some new (alpha) Jewels to dress up a 40 year old gal.

Alpha Jewels.:D

Guess how I know you are an old school dude?

Looks great!
How about a closer up shot?

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
Define "the clear is shot"
Meaning,is it dull or is it flaking off?
Can you feel the texture of the flake?

The clear is very dull and down to the flake particles~~~ Yes you can feel the flake~ I have used everything I can get my hands on to get it to shine but even wet sanding with 1600 then a shot of rubbing compound and then Finesse It. Only gets me a temporary shine. It will dull in a week or so.
Deck After.jpg Deck before.jpg

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
Sorry...meant to add, it is not flaking off anywhere. Just chalky dull :grumble:

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
So...Alpha Jewels = Elbow Grease or ??? Just curious! Thanks!

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Maybe a sample panel with some design in the wood grain to show them how cool it could look. Me personally I wouldn't want it as a main design but maybe as an accent.

doubleeagle

Reaction score
So...Alpha Jewels = Elbow Grease or ??? Just curious! Thanks![/QUOTE

Alpha Jewels are a bright prism type flake usually added into metalflake in the case of the black boat it was added to the silver. I will try to get some better pictures posted up. They really make it pop

Mykidsdaddy

Reaction score
Well...I was right on the money re: "Dulls in about a week"...I pulled the cover off yesterday to continue getting it ready to pull to Havasu in three days and DAMMIT!!! It has gone from Before~After~Before like some kind of sick magic :grumble: I did my before & After last weekend. It looks like it has lost at least 50% of what shine it had in 7 days. Oh well...hopefully the Shine Police aren't working my end of the lake this weekend~~~:( Leaving for Havasu in 72 hrs. :D:D:D

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
our lake friends swapped in their nice white and black tige for a rainbow sparkled and orange centurion... i took one look at it and asked "was it on sale or something?"

10931722_10202513093148069_6415980050700887689_n.jpg

not a flake fan...

do they have a color changing gelcoat? or how about a "matte" finish like all the cars are doing these days? do the stripes or design in a gloss to make it pop in the same color/hue so when you look at it one way it looks normal and then when the light catches it the stripes/design pop?

Screen-Shot-2014-11-03-at-1.57.34-PM-e1415041096154.png

Gelcoater

Reaction score
our lake friends swapped in their nice white and black tige for a rainbow sparkled and orange centurion... i took one look at it and asked "was it on sale or something?"

10931722_10202513093148069_6415980050700887689_n.jpg

not a flake fan...

do they have a color changing gelcoat? or how about a "matte" finish like all the cars are doing these days? do the stripes or design in a gloss to make it pop in the same color/hue so when you look at it one way it looks normal and then when the light catches it the stripes/design pop?

Screen-Shot-2014-11-03-at-1.57.34-PM-e1415041096154.png
House of Kolor has a line of pearl powders that change colors.Any of the dry powders can be added to clear Gelcoat and backed with black to give that flip flop color effect.I've used it in the past on a few Laveys. image.jpg
The range of colors isn't too big and only seem to show against black.
The blue to black is pretty cool,and there's a rust to green that really pops.From one angle it's green,from another rust and from a different angle again just looks black.

bocco

Reaction score
I think it's kind of funny that boat buyers decided that wood grain and metal flakes were out of style. So they switched to bubble gum pink and teal.

Reaction score
before Eliminator moved the glass shop to Peris,there were a couple roles back in a corner, at least 20 years old one was a mahogany, the other was i think oak.never could talk bob into using it:grumble:

I'd be interested in looking at the old rolls. I might buy both rolls if the price is right for a project I have on the back burner. :thumbup:

As ou can see, it has to be done right.
657703.jpg

attachment.php