WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Making a Closed Bow into a Open Bow

premier marine interiors

Reaction score
Here are some pics of a closed bow 28 Extreme being made into an open bow. If anyone is interested in making their V bottom or cat into an open bow Please give me a call (619) 504-9961 I will post more pics

Attachments

• !cid_60636529-7724-4377-8372-F0BBB15A5107boatbow#2.jpg
    !cid_60636529-7724-4377-8372-F0BBB15A5107boatbow#2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,277
  • !cid_8DC150C5-4D94-4877-A221-64662A8F795Bopenbow.jpg
    !cid_8DC150C5-4D94-4877-A221-64662A8F795Bopenbow.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,337

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Very cool. Can't wait to watcht he rest of the process!

Essexive G's

Reaction score
What's the difference structurally between cutting out a closed bow, and having one come out of the mold? I had heard that cutting one out made the rest of the top prone to cracks.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What's the difference structurally between cutting out a closed bow, and having one come out of the mold? I had heard that cutting one out made the rest of the top prone to cracks.

Most manufacturers actually lay boats up as closed bows and then cut an open bow into them. Some actually have seperate deck molds, but the majority do not.

When they cut an open bow, they will add wood in there (bulkheads that will become seat backs etc..) and there shouldn't be any problems structurally if done right.

RD

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Most manufacturers actually lay boats up as closed bows and then cut an open bow into them. Some actually have seperate deck molds, but the majority do not.

When they cut an open bow, they will add wood in there (bulkheads that will become seat backs etc..) and there shouldn't be any problems structurally if done right.

RD
yup,what he said

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

RD

A bulkhead in front and a bulkhead in the rear. A floor platform and then a bow rider usually slides in as one piece from the top.

Dave's correct that most boats are born as closed decks and then cut.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
So this begs the question...say I have a 25' Shockwave Tremor that is a closed bow, and I want to convert it to an open bow...what is the cost?
Nothing extra fancy, white vinyl seats with cubby's on each side with cup holders, and 2 cutouts in the seat bases for a set of 6 x 9 speakers. The seat bases lift up for storage, and the front section tilts up with hinges and it has storage for buoys and your anchor.

Attachments

• 96286056_6thumb_550x410.jpg
    96286056_6thumb_550x410.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,382

desertbird

Reaction score
I think that's awesome!

I absolutley LOVE my Lavey. It's a beautiful SeBring, re-powered with 496 and Bravo X. Won't find another like it, and I hate to think about giving it up, but the wifey is pregnant with the first of what we hope to be 2 kids, and I'm going to need the room!

Are you plans to make that a walkthrough to the open bow or a hop-over? With the windsheild in the way, my options are limited, but I'd like to email you some pics and seriously talk about my options!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think that's awesome!

I absolutley LOVE my Lavey. It's a beautiful SeBring, re-powered with 496 and Bravo X. Won't find another like it, and I hate to think about giving it up, but the wifey is pregnant with the first of what we hope to be 2 kids, and I'm going to need the room!

Are you plans to make that a walkthrough to the open bow or a hop-over? With the windsheild in the way, my options are limited, but I'd like to email you some pics and seriously talk about my options!!!

Judging by the pics, the DCB is going to be a cuddy cabin / crawl through deal.

RD

Tomale

Rest Easy Big Sexy, You'll be missed :(
Reaction score
Ok how about this I have an open bow, I really don't care for it but I do like my boat. Could it be done to make my open bow into a closed bow?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ok how about this I have an open bow, I really don't care for it but I do like my boat. Could it be done to make my open bow into a closed bow?

Anything can be done, but in your case it's a walk through open bow. They would have to take the original deck mold and lay up a section of it and then glass it all together etc..

Or in reality the best way to do it would be to just lay up a new deck entirely, and cut the old one off the boat and install a new deck.

You'll have more $$$ invested into doing the conversion, then you would just selling the boat and buying a closed bow. Unless you got a real hard on to keep the boat for some reason, it's not worth doing.

RD

90 Laveycraft

SBC/Jet..Oh hell ya!
Reaction score
Had both types, speed boat should be closed but I love the open for a play/ski boat.

Attachments

• bv 015.jpg
    bv 015.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,441

Tomale

Rest Easy Big Sexy, You'll be missed :(
Reaction score
Yea my last boat was a jet closed bow loved it, then I bought this boat with an open bow, and I don't know what I was thinking. Oh I know the ex ol lady liked the Open Bow and I liked her new DD's :D

River918

Reaction score
So this begs the question...say I have a 25' Shockwave Tremor that is a closed bow, and I want to convert it to an open bow...what is the cost?
Nothing extra fancy, white vinyl seats with cubby's on each side with cup holders, and 2 cutouts in the seat bases for a set of 6 x 9 speakers. The seat bases lift up for storage, and the front section tilts up with hinges and it has storage for buoys and your anchor.

I had my 25' Tremor closed bow made into an open bow/cuddy a few years ago and it turned out great. Shockwave did it for me for around 4K...When I get home I'll try to post some pics..

The big plus was it made the resale a lot easier!!!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Anything can be done, but in your case it's a walk through open bow. They would have to take the original deck mold and lay up a section of it and then glass it all together etc..

Or in reality the best way to do it would be to just lay up a new deck entirely, and cut the old one off the boat and install a new deck.

You'll have more $$$ invested into doing the conversion, then you would just selling the boat and buying a closed bow. Unless you got a real hard on to keep the boat for some reason, it's not worth doing.

RD
this.....

hman442

Reaction score
Previous owner had my Vector cut into an open bow.
View attachment 1193494
That picture kind of kills the argument that an open bow boat doesn't look as good. That boat looks fantastic. And having owned both styles (not cool go fast boats, just ski boats), I can say that an open bow is certainly more comfortable, handier, and probably even safer, with the kids sitting right in front of you-so easier to keep an eye on them while driving, etc.

hman442

Reaction score
It’s like buying a four door 😂
I get it, and would say the same thing in a conversation over beers, but after my first was born, and child seating her into the back of our two door Cutlass for a couple months, I was thrilled to go 4 door. But, all 4 doors aren't equal, I prefer a 4 door Audi to a 4 door....say....Chrysler LeBaron or something.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
That picture kind of kills the argument that an open bow boat doesn't look as good. That boat looks fantastic. And having owned both styles (not cool go fast boats, just ski boats), I can say that an open bow is certainly more comfortable, handier, and probably even safer, with the kids sitting right in front of you-so easier to keep an eye on them while driving, etc.
I own an open bow and agree with most of your post, but I've heard many experts say they'd never put their kids in the first point of impact.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I've had a fantasy of getting a 38-42' go fast and making it an open bow. In 2005 the fears I heard originally of taking an open bow into ocean was always that I'd take water over the bow. Well, that turned out to be crap as I learned from my last one which was just a 30' Magic Wizard open bow. I was often out in good sized water and never got wet once as even that sized boat was "Tall" enough to never stuff. As I've often stated all the folks want to ride in the bow seating as long as the oceans not too rough and its a much better view of the honeys so open bow for this cat. I always smile when seeing a Cig out and all these people stuffed in that small rear seating area like sardines. Could be different.... maybe I'll be first.

Backlash

Reaction score
I honestly think the Cole Superhawk and Nighthawk is a gorgeous boat! Open bow or not, I'd love to have one someday!!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I did not even catch that. Steve still considering the modification.……
here's whats really going on..... i'm 70 years old...... when I was old enough to drive... I got a harley, and a boat... I don't ride harleys any more,... a few years back...2019,...
I bought two tri toons... since then,... seems I don't boat anymore either... I'm blaming the tri toons,... so I wanted to sell them and just get a boat..... thats where my wife and i disagree... she is not giving up her tri toon,.... ever.. because the only way she will let it go is if I buy her a new deck boat first... shes still not happy that I sold her cheeta...but loves the tritoon so alls good there.. we allways keep a boat in havasu, and one or two in vegas.. so for me, I want a 210 hallett,... but my wife says get an open bow, or i'm not going with you,...I'm not walking across the boat deck to get off the boat... next, there's a lot of stuff going on at lake mead.... and boating is not on top of the list.... we have a house in havasu that we don't really use....and need to go there just to keep up on things that go wrong with owning a home..

it takes me 1.5 hours to get to mead.... and 2.5 to get to havasu.... so going to mead is making less and less sense... so why even have a boat there...

it seems that the older I get the less time I have to do anything... I have a new motor home.... just sits,... 2 new turbo RZR's... just sit... 3 streetrods... just sit till the battery's go dead...jeeps just sit,... van just sits,...no one goes to the ranch,...... repairing shit is my life.... told my wife I would like to just sell every thing and get a high rise apartment with a balcony that look out at the vegas lights

so there's a 210 that I could get, but closed bow....I know the boat, I owned it and so did my son... but reality is this..... I might just be done with boating at mead,.. in fact,... i'm not far from being total done....

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The way I look at it, as far as a lake boat is concerned, an open bow approximates the convenience of a deck boat for us older people😅 without the price. 😁

bocco

Reaction score
Personal opinion. I don't like the idea of cutting a closed bow into an open bow. I don't like the look of the wrap over upholstery to hide the cut glass. The whole thing looks like an afterthought especially when done by the manufacturer.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Not far behind you 2FF, and agree on all counts
Yeah he's still got an awful lot of "items" for 70.... downsizing needs to occur but for some it is a challenge. Condos exist to fill this progression and everyone I talk to that dumped larger homes & mechanical toys around that stage of life are smiling! Simplified lifestyles.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I’m only 66, but every time I think I need to add / switch up the house/car/bike/boat/rv, I end up deciding I should probably just sell what I’m tired of. Bike is going after a summer ride with my posse, and I’m definitely NOT replacing it ( if I live to bring it back!).

gqchris

Reaction score
here's whats really going on..... i'm 70 years old...... when I was old enough to drive... I got a harley, and a boat... I don't ride harleys any more,... a few years back...2019,...
I bought two tri toons... since then,... seems I don't boat anymore either... I'm blaming the tri toons,... so I wanted to sell them and just get a boat..... thats where my wife and i disagree... she is not giving up her tri toon,.... ever.. because the only way she will let it go is if I buy her a new deck boat first... shes still not happy that I sold her cheeta...but loves the tritoon so alls good there.. we allways keep a boat in havasu, and one or two in vegas.. so for me, I want a 210 hallett,... but my wife says get an open bow, or i'm not going with you,...I'm not walking across the boat deck to get off the boat... next, there's a lot of stuff going on at lake mead.... and boating is not on top of the list.... we have a house in havasu that we don't really use....and need to go there just to keep up on things that go wrong with owning a home..

it takes me 1.5 hours to get to mead.... and 2.5 to get to havasu.... so going to mead is making less and less sense... so why even have a boat there...

it seems that the older I get the less time I have to do anything... I have a new motor home.... just sits,... 2 new turbo RZR's... just sit... 3 streetrods... just sit till the battery's go dead...jeeps just sit,... van just sits,...no one goes to the ranch,...... repairing shit is my life.... told my wife I would like to just sell every thing and get a high rise apartment with a balcony that look out at the vegas lights

so there's a 210 that I could get, but closed bow....I know the boat, I owned it and so did my son... but reality is this..... I might just be done with boating at mead,.. in fact,... i'm not far from being total done....
Thats what I did! At 49 years old Steve! Lol. And the birth of my daughter snapped me out of shit real quick. 28th floor for reference.

D23FE124-D059-4C13-B18A-778658110772.jpeg

mountains

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done the reverse of going back to close bow from a cut deck open bow?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done the reverse of going back to close bow from a cut deck open bow?
Fair question. Its interesting we've never had anyone ask that. I'll stick my neck out on the RDP cutting board and guess that there's kinda two groups; the dudes who have open bows and realize how popular that front seating area is and then there's the second group who firmly believe how important having a closed bow is I guess due to open ocean swell concerns. I recall when I first got into open ocean small vessel boating I had lots of advice regarding how unsafe an OB was in big water. And rightly so.... I just went out on calmer days. Maybe a guy who relocates and moves from lakes to ocean would have this as a consideration. These builders could easily do such a configuration from what I've seen on here.