WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Some Random Racing Pics Late 80's/Early 90's

David 519

Reaction score
Don Jone's old Canyon. I always liked this boat. From Chowchilla
Picture216.jpg

My old Kurtis, with my wife
Kurtis.jpg

Rode in a Cracker for a couple races.... Next time, I drive!!
cracker.jpg

David 519

Reaction score
Me, Chuck Davies and Art Leonardi at Bakersfield, 92/93 timeframe
Picture220.jpg

Darrel Merbach's Cole. Good friend from the 9.0 days. I drove this boat at Phoenix once.
boat123.jpg

The McClure's Fineline Comp Hydro when Doug McClure was still driving for their family
boat122.jpg

David 519

Reaction score
Ray Marshall's Cole TR4 at Oroville, 1989
boat125.jpg

Not sure who's boat this is. The guy that owned the cracker I rode in also drove this boat at a couple races, mostly to make a field. Oakland, 1988 or so....

boat126.jpg

David 519

Reaction score
Another pic of our Kurtis. Chowchilla probably 1986 or 87
Kurtis2.jpg

Last pic of our Kurtis before we started racing it when it was still a ski boat.
Kurtis1.jpg

Not sure who's boat this is. I always liked the small Kurtis'. If my nutz were to ever shrivel up to the point I wanted training wheels.... this is the boat I'd race :D;)
boat124.jpg

Scott E

Reaction score
Do any of you that raced back in the 80's know Dick Widenkeller?

MSum661

Reaction score
Dug up some old 80's and 90's stuff. Personal memories of several boats we raced back then. Greatest times ever...still miss it to this day!
Personally speaking I think the 80's and 90's Dragboat Racing scene was the best. There were so many personalities and it seemed almost every race we attended the boat entry count filled full with some boat teams having watch instead of race that weekend. You had to pack your shit up and get to the track as soon as you could if not, they would close the gate and you parked your whole operation in the parking lot if you wanted to stay and watch. I use to feel bad for some of those guys.

I won my first Race at 25 yrs. old with this Cole Hydro. The guy I bought it from needed bail money to get his son out of jail. Made up a rope deflector, threw a kill switch on it, etc. then picked up an EZ-UP, bought an old used Lifeline chute jacket and I was gone to the Races. Went to every race on the schedule both with IHBA and NJBA for 2 straight years.

Castaic Lake, CA 1987
M1.jpg

"Fart Racing" stood for Foothill Area Racing Team. It included 4 of us, Bob Buroughs owner driver of the Top Fuel Hydro "Plum Crazy", Dan Blue Blown Gas Hydro, Mikey
Griffin Blown Gas Flat and Myself.
m3.jpg

Ming Lake, CA 1987
m2.jpg
m4.jpg

Puddingstone Lake 1987
m5.jpg

Firebird 1988
m6.jpg

In the early 90's I sold that Cole and bought the late Rod Alexanders Deaver Hydro (Hull only). Hull weighed 550 lb.s. First ran it as a 8.00 bracket with a 7.95 tune, then threw a 557 c.i. Blown injected Chevy with the big blower. Campaigned it for 2 years. Fun boat.

Morning Test and Tune on the new build at Ming Lake 1992.
2nd4.jpg
2nd3.jpg

Carb. Motor:
2nd6.jpg
2nd2.jpg

Blown:
2nd1.jpg

Parker Strip 1994:
2nd5.jpg

In 1995 I met a couple Cool dudes at the "Sundance Bar" in Parker while having a couple Beers who wanted to go racing.
So that same year we put together a Kurtis 501 Capsule Boat and campaigned the IHBA tour for 3 years.
Won a lot of races and had a lot of great times. Had a group of smart guys who knew their shit.
I was lucky to drive it and lucky to meet all those guys. Will never forget those days!
As side Note: My Wife did divorce me that year.

Some of the inmates here may know this guy...
LT1.jpg

Firebird Raceway 1996
LT4.jpg

Weigh in Firebird Raceway 1998
lt5.jpg

MIsc.
lt3.jpg

LT2.jpg

lt6.jpg

MSum661

Reaction score
Another 90's Drag Boat Short Story.

I received a phone call one day from John Swanson, Owner/ Driver of the "Urban Menace".
John recently had surgery on his ankle and was still in the heeling process but wanted to get some Shake Down Passes in on a complete new Motor-Rigging-Set up Combination and on a short notice asked if I could meet Him and His Team at Ming Lake in Bakersfield, CA for the weekend.

The Boat was a Norm Grimes-Kurtis Ultra light Carbon Fiber complete "Vacuum Bag" lay up.
It had a Chrome Moly Tube Chassis throughout much like you would see in a Funny Car.
Motor, Drive, everything mounted on the Chassis. It was seriously Trick at the time.

First Time in the Water on my First Shake down Pass with the new Combo. the boat left the lights in a Wheelie, stayed with it until it slapped back down on the water and then it proceeded to flat out Boogie down the track.
John had this Poster sized Photo made up then signed by every Crew Member on his Team and gave it to me as a Gift of that 1st shake down pass.

swanson-summers-Urban Menace.jpg

Shortly after, "Urban Menace" became the 1st Blown Gas 1/4 Mile Drag Boat on the Planet to break the 200 MPH Barrier.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Holy crap Mike, now it makes sense, what the cart was for that you were pushin around at the drags:yikes:yikes:yikes I thought it was just for you beer cooler:D:D:D

Blownrvr

Reaction score
Another pic of our Kurtis. Chowchilla probably 1986 or 87
Kurtis2.jpg

Last pic of our Kurtis before we started racing it when it was still a ski boat.
Kurtis1.jpg

Not sure who's boat this is. I always liked the small Kurtis'. If my nutz were to ever shrivel up to the point I wanted training wheels.... this is the boat I'd race :D;)
boat124.jpg
cool picture, we have not been to that place in so long