WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RIP Louie T Majors of Kachina boats fame...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm very said to say that the boating industry has lost another one of it's own. Louie Majors, founder and owner of Kachina boats, has passed away. The details of his passing are still a bit sketchy but it looks to have been a heart attack.

Louie started Kachina with Dave (who was later bought out) in late 1963, and the company came into full fruition building boats in early 1964. Over the last 47 years Louie has provided, smiles, good times, and family fun for countless 1000's of families through his boats. His claim to fame would ultimately be that he would do anything to make a customer happy, especially in the paint / gel department. No scheme was too wild for Kachina, a tradition that carries on today, and I hope carries on into the future. Even in this recession Louie managed to stay busy, selling boats, and even tooling up new models looking towards the future. This speaks volumes in itself, of a happy and fiercely loyal customer base.

Amongst his many impressive accolades as a boat builder, Louie was also a Vietnam Vet, and to put it quite simply from friends that knew him "They just don't build em like Louie anymore."

To the Family and Friends and Customers of Louie Majors, you are in our thoughts and prayers,

Sincerely the RDP staff.

RD

rrrr

Reaction score
Nicely written....well done, Dave.

RIP Louie.

Carrera Boats

Boat Manufacturer
Reaction score
I talked with Louie many times, always nice and informative. He will be missed by many, thoughts and prayers go out to Louie, his family and friends.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

RIP Louie, we had some great times. You were a true man's man, and a proud American soldier. I'll be holding up a Coors light and toasting your honor tonight, Semper Fidelis. You will be missed. Love you Missy, you're in my prayers today.

Paul.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Many years ago Louie[who i did not know at the time] called me,and said he was having trouble getting his gel guy to show up to work,and wanted me to come to Az and paint a boat,saying that the best motivator for his mia guy was to have the boat done when the guy finaly showed up.

So,the next day i pull into the parking lot at Kachina[was winter things were slow in ca]. and i go to work after a bit of small talk and introductions to the crew.After work, i say im going to go find a motel for the night, he said F the motel,i have an extra bedroom at the house,and says Missy had taken his car earlier in the day,and he needed a ride home. He went on to say take me home,if you dont like the room,go to a motel,i say fair enough.

We pull up a long driveway to a house high on a hill in a very nice part of town,and i know i aint leaving tonight:cool:

We walk through the front door,greeted by 2 dogs and a smell of some good food cooking:thumbsup,2 other shop guys pull up outside and we all had dinner. After dinner he showes me around the house,and in one corner is a little curio cabnet with some pictures,one of him in Nam,with 2 other guys he served with,guns in hand,standing on a pile of Vietcong bodies. the other pic is of this old delapitated house. He explains that this house had dirt floors and was the house he grew up in in one of the cotton states[dont remember what state].In other words the guy grew up Dirt poor.

the next day at the shop at lunch he showes me a shipping container out back,1/2 full of various medical equipment and med supplies. he went on to explain that $100 of every boat sold along with donations to the motorcycle club he belonged to went to buy med stuff to go into the container. Once a year the club with the container loaded on a semi of one of the club members would ride to Mexico to donate all the stuff to an orfanage. He explained that he never forgot what it was like to be poor,and it was important to give back to those less fortunate.

Louie was a one of a kind guy,and will be missed by all who knew him.

Rest In Peace Louie.

Reaction score
Rip Louie.

Sad day indeed.

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
I met Louie at his company and he was a genuinely nice guy who new and cared about pleasing his customers.

RIP Louie, you will be missed by many.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Godspeed.......to a boaterman..................:thumbsup

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Many years ago Louie[who i did not know at the time] called me,and said he was having trouble getting his gel guy to show up to work,and wanted me to come to Az and paint a boat,saying that the best motivator for his mia guy was to have the boat done when the guy finaly showed up.

So,the next day i pull into the parking lot at Kachina[was winter things were slow in ca]. and i go to work after a bit of small talk and introductions to the crew.After work, i say im going to go find a motel for the night, he said F the motel,i have an extra bedroom at the house,and says Missy had taken his car earlier in the day,and he needed a ride home. He went on to say take me home,if you dont like the room,go to a motel,i say fair enough.

We pull up a long driveway to a house high on a hill in a very nice part of town,and i know i aint leaving tonight:cool:

We walk through the front door,greeted by 2 dogs and a smell of some good food cooking:thumbsup,2 other shop guys pull up outside and we all had dinner. After dinner he showes me around the house,and in one corner is a little curio cabnet with some pictures,one of him in Nam,with 2 other guys he served with,guns in hand,standing on a pile of Vietcong bodies. the other pic is of this old delapitated house. He explains that this house had dirt floors and was the house he grew up in in one of the cotton states[dont remember what state].In other words the guy grew up Dirt poor.

the next day at the shop at lunch he showes me a shipping container out back,1/2 full of various medical equipment and med supplies. he went on to explain that $100 of every boat sold along with donations to the motorcycle club he belonged to went to buy med stuff to go into the container. Once a year the club with the container loaded on a semi of one of the club members would ride to Mexico to donate all the stuff to an orfanage. He explained that he never forgot what it was like to be poor,and it was important to give back to those less fortunate.

Louie was a one of a kind guy,and will be missed by all who knew him.

Rest In Peace Louie.

Nice post, sounds like a typical Louie story. :thumbsup

JBS

Reaction score
I was floored when I got the news at brunch yesterday. What makes it stranger is that I had not seen Louie in almost a year and was close to the factory on Saturday after dropping a friend at the airport. I was now looking for something to do.

I thought I will stop and visit with Louie since it's been a while and he was there on most Saturdays. I called Outdrive1 to see if he was in the area and wanted to go with me. He was not but was headed to a restaurant I like with his wife. I ended up going to lunch with Outdrive1 and his wife rather than stopping to see Louie. Strange how things work like that.

Louie was Louie. He was one of those bigger than life characters that they just don't make anymore.

RIP Louie Majors. You will be missed.

Reaction score
He will be missed by many.

RIP brother.

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Wow, cant believe it. Phoenix without Louie, Just weird. Louie was one of those guys that was bigger than life, always full of energy. Always willing to give anyone the nickel tour around the shop to. Not many have been around boat manufacturing that long and been successful for so many years. Definately a self made man, he will be missed.

Chillin

Reaction score
Wow shocking news. A real stand up guy.
RIP Louie

Last edited:

happyfriday

Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayers are with Missy and the family at this terribly heart breaking news.....Louie you will be missed but never forgotten....was always for a good time hanging out at the shop and sharing stories....Thank you for making us part of the Kachina Family

Fourspeednup

Reaction score
Heard about this over the weekend and Louie has been in my thoughts since. There really is no better way to describe him than what many have already said, "Louie was....well...Louie!" Through BoatBling I've had the chance to work with the guys (and gals) at the Kachina shop for several years in fact they were the 1st to stock the old 496 covers if I recall correctly.

Every visit to the shop guaranteed a full tour of the facility to see what kind of new top secret stuff was going on in the back. Always ending at the fridge for a cold coors light or two.

Louie will be missed.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Wow rumor has it he injured himself at his own birthday party and died. Bummer

Any word on the company? I work across the street and all the customer boats are gone, windows are papered and there is a sign on the door saying Temporarily Closed.

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Heard they were workin on a motor in a boat and he slipped and fell & hit his head which caused him to go into cardiac arrest. Heard it from a pretty reliable source that ran with Louie for years. Unbelievable.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Heard they were workin on a motor in a boat and he slipped and fell & hit his head which caused him to go into cardiac arrest. Heard it from a pretty reliable source that ran with Louie for years. Unbelievable.

I heard that it was a head injury as well Mark. Who knows.

1oudad

Reaction score
Don't mean any disrespect either, but we have paid in full for a boat that is now more than 4 months past it's delivery date, and we assume is still sitting in that shop. No one answers the phone there anymore. We've been told that most if not all of the employess have been let go. Does anyone know what the intentions are for the unfinished boats that are still there?
Still praying for Louie and his family........

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Don't mean any disrespect either, but we have paid in full for a boat that is now more than 4 months past it's delivery date, and we assume is still sitting in that shop. No one answers the phone there anymore. We've been told that most if not all of the employess have been let go. Does anyone know what the intentions are for the unfinished boats that are still there?
Still praying for Louie and his family........

I will ask some people to see if you can get in touch with the powers that be..

RD

tpmboats

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is Louie fell leaving his nieghbors house after a night of cold ones and had blunt force trauma to the head and thats what happened. Hey Mark sorry for the wrong info. I will miss this man alot he was a great friend and was a mans man. Louie has known me since I was just a little kid and after all the smoke clears what I am left with is one less true friend. RIP MR. MAJORS

Marko

BIG member
Reaction score
Really sorry for your loss Tom, you've told me how important Louie was to you while growing up. Like I said, He will be missed.

1oudad

Reaction score
I'm unable to post PM because I haven't posted on the forum enough. The boat is a 34' Drone, white with blue and green swirls on the back. I am hoping it is still inside. I am out of state and would really like to talk to someone on the ground there. Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
I'm unable to post PM because I haven't posted on the forum enough. The boat is a 34' Drone, white with blue and green swirls on the back. I am hoping it is still inside. Could you give me a call at 405-831-4500? I am out of state and would really like to talk to someone on the ground there. Thanks for any help you can give.

Will swing by right now while on lunch.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm unable to post PM because I haven't posted on the forum enough. The boat is a 34' Drone, white with blue and green swirls on the back. I am hoping it is still inside. Could you give me a call at 405-831-4500? I am out of state and would really like to talk to someone on the ground there. Thanks for any help you can give.

If it's any help I had a friend go by last friday.. He said there was 4 or 5 guys working. Not standing around waiting to see what's gonna happen, but actually working.

RD

1oudad

Reaction score
Thanks to you both. Evidently, the employees were notified on Sunday that they would be closing until further notice. I truly feel for Louie's family, but it's been a long, frustrating summer, and we are just sick that we may come away with nothing. We're prepared to come pick up the boat, if someone would just call us back.
Thanks again for your help!

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
I went by te shop today and stopped. There are about 5 34' Drones in the yard (one yellow w/blue flames on a cart under fixed cover), one taped up for graphix, 3 of them are on trailers covered. Can't see any gel schemes. 3 or 4 30' Drones on trailers covered, and a few random boats here and there that looked like they are just old junkers that have been stripped.

Big 39' Patron still there and a 28' all white cat.

1oudad

Reaction score
Thank you AZJD for taking the time to do that. We're trying to reach someone to make arrangements to pick it up.....

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Thank you AZJD for taking the time to do that. We're trying to reach someone to make arrangements to pick it up.....

Sorry I couldn't be more help and identify your boat.

Good luck

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Appreciate anyway! Here's a pic of ours in case you see it out.....
25266_1282106257144_1364708221_30748200_638053_n.jpg

There is one all the way in the back and it is all taped and papered up so maybe it was yours. Tough to say. Good luck with everything. I'm sure it will all work out. Louie might have always been behind schedule but he always seemed to deliver.

mbkrcr

Reaction score
So sad to hear about this Louie always took care of us just saw him on friday before he passed.Is there anyone to contact about getting my boat out I was just having some work done to it.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
So sad to hear about this Louie always took care of us just saw him on friday before he passed.Is there anyone to contact about getting my boat out I was just having some work done to it.

If you want to post a pic of your boat or send it to me I will let you know if i see it in the yard.

mbkrcr

Reaction score
Hi thanks its a 27 foot red with all black bottom at the rear the red drops down to the waterline not to many with all black bottoms

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Hi thanks its a 27 foot red with all black bottom at the rear the red drops down to the waterline not to many with all black bottoms

What make? Kachina??? I see a red hustler in the yard.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I came up dry with my attempts to get in touch with somebody to discuss the future of Kachina..

If I was you, at this point I would drive down there and get it by whatever means necesarry.

RD

mbkrcr

Reaction score
yea thanks. I still have faith they will call. It would be a shame to have everything Louie worked for, for so long just end .

1oudad

Reaction score
AZJD, Since you are across the street- if you see them open up over at Kachina would you mind giving us a shout? Plan to take the next flight out once (if) that happens. Thank you!

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
AZJD, Since you are across the street- if you see them open up over at Kachina would you mind giving us a shout? Plan to take the next flight out once (if) that happens. Thank you!

Absolutely. If possible I will stop in as well and ask a few questions. Your not the only that has contacted me looking for a boat so whatever I can do to help.

Last edited:

1oudad

Reaction score
Absolutely. If possible I will stop in as well and ask a few questions. Your not the only that has contacted me looking for a boat so whatever I can do to help.

Thanks so much!

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
The sign on the door says for emergencies call 602-774-1713 or [email protected]

There are now two very large and intimidating german sheppards in the yard now too.

No boats have been moved since friday so not sure if any of this is any help.