chili powder
miced garlic
head of cabbage (regular or red)
1-3 lbs of mild white fish
mexican beer
1 cup flour
flour tortillas

White Baja Sauce

Start with mixing your Mayo and Sourcream together in a glass bowl (I prefer glass). Finely dice up Chipolte whole peppers, add to your bowl. Next, take the zest of 2 limes (grate the skin) and squeeze 1 lime into bowl. Add 1 Tblsp minced garlic, salt/pepper to flavor. Mix together very well. If you need more taste, or kick add Chili powder for more bite. Be carefull, this recipe gets hotter as it sets up in the fridge. Once you have your sauce to your liking, put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. It will set up, and all the flavors will meld together. A warning: When you first are done mixing all the ingredients, it may not taste all that great: it will be very "limey", and not very spicy. "But wait, theres more" after it sets up, it will taste completely different. This is the time to really judge it and add stuff if needed.

The Fish-

Many suggest using cod; I decided on the somewhat cheaper tilapia since it looked gorgeous at the store and it's a nice manageable size for our
purposes. Regardless, get it into 1-inch wide strips.

The batter for the fish is very straightforward
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 beer, not dark

Combine flour and salt, then add beer. Look for a pancake batter consistency. It's rather goopy, which was nice since the batter actually stayed on the fish when we fried it.

Get a big pan with a thick lip and put enough oil so it's about an inch thick. Turn the heat up to medium-high. All the recipes I've found gave a specific temperature, but we don't have a thermometer, so it was just a guessing game. Make sure it's not on high or it will start to smoke and all chaos will break out.

Turn the fish after about a minute. Look for the color to decide when to remove. Brown is bad; golden is okay. What you're looking for is something a little less than golden. Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain.

Cut up the cabbage. Slice as thinly as possible so the strands still stay together.

Take your tortillas and
place the freshly fried fish and the cabbage inside and slather it with the sauce. Squeeze some lime juice over it all. It will be messy. It will be spicy. Chances are, you'll never have tasted a taco quite like this. Make sure a beer is within arms reach and devour until all is gone. The last part won't be too hard.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Sounds great:thumbsup

Last time i had those(home made anyway) was at Mead. My buddies dad has a little plug in deep fryer,works great. We did it all outside.

Another great choice of fish for this (we killed em that day) is Striper. They went from swimming to taco in about 4 hours.:D

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I might try this this week. Sounds great!

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
I'm doing this today... Will try to post pics!!

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
aefe380f-9858-3c4d.jpg

The sauce.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
aefe380f-c016-fdf3.jpg

The batter and cod.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Dude,no finished taco pics? Your killin me here:grumble:

You probably wolfed em down so fast you didn't get the money shot huh?

DURAMAXYFZ

Reaction score
The bomb!!! Spicy.just the way I like things.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Tried it last week,it made me look good and it tasted soooooo good.Thank,s it,s a good one.:champagne:

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
and AGAIN :D:boobeyes: THIS shit is good !:cool:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
1 cup sourcream ( or greek yogurt )
1 cup mayo
2 whole chipolte peppers
bog-o-limes limes
salt/pepper
chili powder
miced garlic
head of cabbage (regular or red)
1-3 lbs of mild white fish
mexican beer
1 cup flour
flour tortillas

White Baja Sauce

Start with mixing your Mayo and Sourcream together in a glass bowl (I prefer glass). Finely dice up Chipolte whole peppers, add to your bowl. Next, take the zest of 2 limes (grate the skin) and squeeze 1 lime into bowl. Add 1 Tblsp minced garlic, salt/pepper to flavor. Mix together very well. If you need more taste, or kick add Chili powder for more bite. Be carefull, this recipe gets hotter as it sets up in the fridge. Once you have your sauce to your liking, put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. It will set up, and all the flavors will meld together. A warning: When you first are done mixing all the ingredients, it may not taste all that great: it will be very "limey", and not very spicy. "But wait, theres more" after it sets up, it will taste completely different. This is the time to really judge it and add stuff if needed.

The Fish-

Many suggest using cod; I decided on the somewhat cheaper tilapia since it looked gorgeous at the store and it's a nice manageable size for our
purposes. Regardless, get it into 1-inch wide strips.

The batter for the fish is very straightforward
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 beer, not dark

Combine flour and salt, then add beer. Look for a pancake batter consistency. It's rather goopy, which was nice since the batter actually stayed on the fish when we fried it.

Get a big pan with a thick lip and put enough oil so it's about an inch thick. Turn the heat up to medium-high. All the recipes I've found gave a specific temperature, but we don't have a thermometer, so it was just a guessing game. Make sure it's not on high or it will start to smoke and all chaos will break out.

Turn the fish after about a minute. Look for the color to decide when to remove. Brown is bad; golden is okay. What you're looking for is something a little less than golden. Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain.

Cut up the cabbage. Slice as thinly as possible so the strands still stay together.

Take your tortillas and
place the freshly fried fish and the cabbage inside and slather it with the sauce. Squeeze some lime juice over it all. It will be messy. It will be spicy. Chances are, you'll never have tasted a taco quite like this. Make sure a beer is within arms reach and devour until all is gone. The last part won't be too hard.

bump so I can find it tomorrow :D

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Used this recipe last night with some fresh caught Yellowtail fillets. Dredged the fillets in flour first to make sure the batter hung on. Candy thermometer to set the oil at 375F.

Came out excellent, thanks!

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
I'm glad to see this recipe is getting used. It is a staple in our house with an ice cold Mexican beer of the hour, and a nice cigar your set!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Sounds AWESOME!!!

I LOVE me a great fish taco.

The best I ever had were on the side of the road near Guerrero Negro Mexico, like halfway down the Baja.
An old lady had a griddle set up cooking over wood, selling tacos and Tecate.

I think I spent 75 cents for 5 tacos and a beer.

I could not fit enough of it into my belly.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We do something similar. Our "cabbage" is: Chopped red & green cabbage, red and green onions, cilantro, lots of fresh garlic, red pepper flakes and just enough Cole Slaw dressing to tie it together. White sauce: combine Hidden Valley Ranch dressing and Tabasco Sauce to taste. Sauce is stupid simple, but people will ask how did you make that. Grill fish (dorado works great - pacific snapper is good also) and good quality fresh corn tortillas. Serve with fresh limes.

LuckyDaze

Reaction score
Yeah, gonna have to make this.... Got some fresh caught salmon in the freezer.... hmmmmm......

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
made this tonight for my family your sauce was killer and it did grow a little hotter dinner.JPG dinner 1.JPG it was a little get to gather for our 38 year ;) good food good friends :cool