Scicon Tech - Top

Santa Margarita Ford - Top

Thanks
    Thanked 28 Times

Wireless Printer and Verizon Hotspot 4G

I have pulled my hair out trying to figure this out, Verizon is worthless and HP can go fock themselves for support...here's the synopsis:

I have an HP Photosmart C4795 wireless printer, it used to run off my ATT wireless router system, that is gone, I now have the Verizon 4G MiFi LTE Hotspot,all being ran through a gateway laptop. I had the printer working w/ the old hotspot from Verizon, which has been replaced by this MiFi unit,they are the same thing essentially. I can't figure out how to get this new MIFi and printer paired? I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night either Help
    Attached Images    

Thanks
    Thanked 20 Times
    Why are you pairing with the Hot spot? should be pairing with your laptop so nothing would have changed switching hot spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by HBCraig View Post
    Focker. He re-gifted my nuts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skankersore View Post
    What? Are you fucking high? NOBODY in OC drives a Chevy. Landscapers and housekeepers drive Chevys.

Driving a Chevy in OC is like showing up to DCB regatta in a 17 ft Bayliner with a fat chick sitting shotgun.

Thanks
    Thanked 28 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kleptow View Post
    Why are you pairing with the Hot spot? should be pairing with your laptop so nothing would have changed switching hot spots.
    I haven't been able to determine if the printer is a WIFI or a bluetooth, if I go laptop to printer direct, is this a wifi or bluetooth connection,and if so, do you lose your internet connection in doing so? I dunno I'm confused......The printer has an icon on it that looks like a small lighthouse or thermometer with waves coming off it?Is that B-tooth or wifi?

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!! Paul65k's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavey5150 View Post
    I haven't been able to determine if the printer is a WIFI or a bluetooth, if I go laptop to printer direct, is this a wifi or bluetooth connection,and if so, do you lose your internet connection in doing so? I dunno I'm confused......The printer has an icon on it that looks like a small lighthouse or thermometer with waves coming off it?Is that B-tooth or wifi?
    This printer does NOT have Bluetooth capability so connecting it directly to your computer will likely need to be accolplished via a home network....which will require router capability most likely.

Good luck!

Livin' the Dream
    I can find you a place like this in Havasu Too
    paul@ownhavasu.com
    http://www.ownhavasu.com/
    (928) 846-

Thanks
    Thanked 28 Times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul65k View Post
    Here is what I think is happening;

The MiFi you have now is an access point that can support up to 5 devices (I think) simultaneously. A router is a different animal than an access point as it includes the additional capabilities of creating a network environment and can connect and allow other devices to communicate with each other and not simply access an ISP (in this case Verizon) as you are doing with the MiFi.

Your previous set-up utilized a router and was the key to being able to access your printer.

I have a similar set-up for our river house but use an aircard that connects through a USB port that I use with a router (Cradlepoint) specifically made for aircards or Ethernet if you have one. You will need to figure out how to connect your MiFi to a router (<$100) if you want to create a network environment (needed to share devices) or take the MiFi back to Verizon and get an aircard and go the router path.

I'm not an IT expert so I may be mistaken about this but I think this is what is going on for you at this point.

Good luck!
    Gotcha, that is what I have found w/ the router point, but I had this configured w/ the old hotspot already, whether it was going from the puter to the MIFI then to the printer,or puter to printer direct, I dunno, If I can go laptop to printer direct, and not lose the internet connection, I'm in.....I just can't figure out how it was done, a neighbor was helping me at the time and we did it w/ out our knowledge, and did not take notes.....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 156 Times
    You probably have a new ip address and/or wireless security key.

The HP manual says to run the CD that came with the printer and when prompted connect the printer to the laptop with a USB cable. It will automatically try to join the wireless network. Once its complete you can unplug the USB and print wirelessly.
    Buy It, Use It, Break It, Fix It, Trash It, Change It, Mail Upgrade It.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 156 Times
    Here's a thought. Read the manuals that came with the router and printer. I took a look at them and they cover everything you need.
    Buy It, Use It, Break It, Fix It, Trash It, Change It, Mail Upgrade It.

Thanks
    Thanked 577 Times
    you need to either use the software that came with the printer and plug in directly to configure it, or use the little controls on the front of it and join it to the mifi's wireless... there is usually a little sticker on the back of it with the default mifi SSID (or name, ie: verizon hotspot452) and the default WEP password. once thats entered into the config, there should be a way to print a status screen. on that status screen there should be an "ip address" such as 192.168, 172.16, etc... anything other than 169.254 (169.254 means it didnt get an ip address from the mifi so it just assigned itself a default one). once you have the ip address you go into yer windows printer setup and add it as an IP printer and select your driver, and give it the ip address of the printer. USUALLY the software they give you will scan your network and do all the setup for you once its connected to your wireless network.

if you're saying it was working at one time its prolly configured to look for your old mifi SSID and it just sits and searches for it... prolly reset factory defaults or hit the reconfigure button.
    Last edited by ka0tyk; 07-26-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 28 Times
    thanks all, I reset to factory defaults, and found some ware online and it works now........